/dmt/ daily manual thread

Post all question relating to learning to drive manual here.

If my start offs are a bit jerky, what am i doing wrong?

Also does anyone have any tips for hillstarts. I thought I had them when but had real trouble yesterday. I use the handbrake but once I put the handbrake down I ended up stalling still

wtf u nub

use regular brake only

Seems like not enough gas both cases

Lighter left foot for hillstarts. Slowly release the clutch until the car lifts up, that means you'll roll forward if you release the handbrake. Generally before you release the handbrake you'd want to give it a little gas too just in case.

Start offs being jerky is just a dumb left foot too so I think you'll just get better over time. Me in my first month was jerky shit but after 4-5 months it's smooth. Gas before clutch (a little gas) every launch. You jerk around because engine braking starts when you don't give it throttle.

>If my start offs are a bit jerky, what am i doing wrong?

Slip the clutch more. Hold it at the biting point for 4 seconds before completely letting off. Keep gas at 1.5k rpm.

>Also does anyone have any tips for hillstarts
When you need to go, release clutch to biting point and quickly release the brakes and give enough gas. You don't need meme strats like handbrakes unless you're up a vertical wall

>I use the handbrake but once I put the handbrake down I ended up stalling still
more gas

I always use my heel to brake and my toe to blip. Is this weird?

im a burger

your gonna die, pls stop user

always makes me laugh how americans make manual into this big ol' skill when everyone else just drives this way anyway. its like when youre a kid and get your first geared bike

>If my start offs are a bit jerky, what am i doing wrong?
Not being smooth enough with gas and clutch. Operate them together.
>Also does anyone have any tips for hillstarts
Feel the biting point before releasing the handbrake, and get the gas applied quickly.

y u say dis 2 me
my downshifts are usually pretty smooth too. i was just wondering if there was a particular reason to do it one way or the other

this guy here. I too am having trouble with hillstarts.

How do you find the biting point when the handbrake is up. because the way I determine it is just when the car starts moving.

I don't seem to notice this dip or grab that everyone mentions. is my clutch fucked or something?

pic related is what I'm learning on and my first manual car

You probably drive like a bitch who has to replace the clutch every year

How the fuck am I supposed to keep the brake input smooth and steady while "blipping" the throttle with the side of my foot? I absolutely can't see this working for me outside of hard braking. Is heel toeing a meme?

You did exactly what he said. :^)

my car physically moves vertically in some form.

just practice in a parking lot with no or little throttle finding the bite point

every car ive driven you can clearly feel the point of engagement
even on cars with worn clutches

>not just revving the piss out of it for the qt
you didnt actually stall over and over did you?

hehehe got em good

i cant feel my grab on my foot in my car. but it might just be because im fat?

No not really mind explaining it to me

you made it into some kind of skill when it shouldnt be really. boy everyone else in the world drives manual you gotta have your little learner thread and its so gay

unlike the rest of the world, americans can afford automatics
thats really all there is to it

Are you retarded, america has the most automatics and the best purchasing power.

The average person lives in a mansion that costs 200k here but would cost 2 million in a euro shithole.

Except there is an objectively bad way to drive and good way to drive. Seeing how you lack the self awareness you're probably in the former group.

lol sure man, dont think automatics cost more. they fuckin lack a gearbox ya goof

yes same spot like at least 5 times. ive been miserable all night over it.

so if I rev the shit out of it I should be fine

stalled twice so far to in the same sort of incline.

i dont think you got that last statement, he was defending americans you thick cunt

Probably not enough gas. It's a weird balance you gotta find, but once you get it down you'll never have trouble with it again until you replace the clutch or drive a different car, in which case it takes like a minute to get used to. Honestly it's more muscle memory than knowing how to do it. For me at least, not sure about anyone else.

you don't feel it with just your foot
you feel it with your whole body

gas then clutch on hill.

if i get nervous and someone right on my ass ill just dump the clutch at 2k or so and the tires will chirp and ill buzz off.

Hard braking is exactly what heel toe is for. You havw to be on the brakes to get the pedals to line up for a heel toe. You don't heel toe in regular driving. Blip throttle and move foot to brake after blip

the real trick to driving manual in the US is getting used to the people with automatics trying to run you over when they just drop their foot to the ground

Hold the clutch at the bite point as long as you need to. As long as it's there, you literally cannot stall unless you hit something that stops the car.

I always teach people manual by telling them to find the bite point, then keep it there and give gas just like in an automatic. Only fully release the clutch once you're moving. Once you get better you can figure out better technique. As a beginner, showing someone how not to stall is more important than throwing useless terminology at them/shit that means nothing and confuses them.

Examples

>balance the clutch and gas
>let off the clutch slowly (without specifying not to let it all the way out)
Etc

Been driving manual for 3 weeks now. I still somewhat get nervous and dread getting in the car incase of stall situations and inclines and stuff.

How many months does it take before it becomes fun and normal

Don't think about it. Just drive, if you stall restart car and move on.

In all seriousness, you have less chance of slipping off the brake with you toes than with your heel. You have better control with your toes. Think about it, everything you do you do with your toe and not with your heel. Slipping off the throttle on the other hand isn't dangerous.

Give it a few months. I'd say somewhere between three and six, depending on how much you drive. After a while you start to pick up little things like how sharp your bite point is and which gear to choose for different situations. Rev matching, especially on a downshift is a little harder; I still under-rev and jolt my car on occasion. The only way to get comfortable driving a manual is to drive. Reduce stress where possible; always leave plenty of time if you're going somewhere. Consider taking backstreets if you're confident in your navigation/have a sat-nav; you'll avoid traffic and gain much more experience changing gears. If you have the time and money for fuel, do some night driving when the roads a a bit clearer. I often go to the local fast food place, and then spend some time driving the backstreets/getting on and off the freeway while I wait for my food to cool. You can use this time to practice things like hill-starts. Someday you'll be in fifth and you'll realize you don't remember making the shift, or you'll get into an automatic and feel like something's missing; if there's a point where you can say you're a manual driver, that's it. Then you start working on the next skill, like heel-toe downshifts into a corner with right-of-way.