Why is owning a car so expensive in burgerstan?

Why is owning a car so expensive in burgerstan?
Especially in NE cities like New york
I'm gonna be going to grad school next fall and I was thinking that I can finally get a car and start driving (undergrad was in the city) but it's so fucking expensive.
Excluding the cost of the car you have to deal with inflated insurance, every mechanic is a scam, yearly inspections, tolls out the ass on bridges (15 bucks a pass? Really?) tickets here are expensive as fuck for the most stupid shit, parking is getting fucked because more and more streets are getting meters, making it impossible to find a spot sometimes, alternate side parking and the list just goes on.

Why do they do this? I just want a cute little miata to drive upstate with instead of taking the fucking Amtrak.

Other urls found in this thread:

standvirtual.com/carros/anuncios/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>waaaah i'm poor

>waaaah things cost money

You done yet OP?

Talk to me when you're paying € 50 in road taxes, €50 for insurance and €1,50 per liter petrol (€ 5,6 $/gallon)

>Why is owning a car so expensive in burgerstan?
Aaaand cue the yuros bitching about how much worse they have it.
News flash, you voted for the people that made those laws, you did this to yourself. Take action if you don't like it, or is that also not allowed?

I didn't really
I could vote republican every election but it's always gonna be dems running NY with very few exceptions

>every mechanic is a scam
Why do you need a car? Just get your boyfriend to drive you around.

Liberals.

Move to the mid west of you want everything cheap.

BECAUSE ITS THE FUCKING RUST BELT AND IF SOMEONE CANT BE ASSED TO FILL THEIR TIRES WITH AIR HOW DO YOU THINK THEY DO ON OTHER MAINTENANCE?
Anyway OP. The reason why it costs so much to own cars is most people north, south, east, and west of Texas are fucking incompetent (and half of us are no better)
And no, we don't want you.

50 per month or 3 months? Because 50 insurance is cheap except maybe if you're old as fuck.

So fucking deal with it or figure out a way to register your car in another place or whatever. Absolutely nobody likes getting raped by the government but most of us enjoy cars and driving more

If you wanted an automotive society it's mostly out west where everything post WW2 was made for cars. But in return you get a clusterfuck of a city known as LA where most highways become parking lots.

Why would you ever live in commiefornia for any reason?

Really? Fuck off!

In portugal I'm paying 200€ insurance for a 2010 shitbox, and cars like a 2007 Astra are costing almost 10k !
in murica you guys can get Miatas for almost nothing. Here if we want a simple Mk1 we need to pay up 4 to 6k ! America is the best country to own a car

>in murica you guys can get Miatas for almost nothing
For an NA you're looking at 3-7k for a good one, coupled with registration fees, title shit, inspection and finally about a grand a year in insurance if you're a younger driver.
No, America is not the best country to own a car you Portuguese piece of shit.

yeah bud, gas is much cheaper but road tolls are high in the northeastern united states and I pay $100/mo for insurance with a clean record in new york.

>why is it so expensive in America?
>lives in NY
There you go

>3-7k for a "good one
LMAOOOO. why the 7k ? if your going to add big numbers just say 3-70k.

You can get miatas starting at 1k from what I see, and some dont look bad at all. We can only get for 5k, and thats the minimum because here we dont even have a wide variety of miatas or even cool cars. no shit that it's about a grand a year with all that shit you said. I'm paying 200€ and I'm not a young driver.
Just search our shit cars for high prices

standvirtual.com/carros/anuncios/

>You can get miatas starting at 1k from what I see
What in the fuck are you talking about?
Show me a decently maintained NA miata for 1k that doesn't need every fucking part replaced.

They don't call it Jew York for nothing. And stay as far away from Long island as you can, everyone is a jersey-tier driver but more of a cunt

They actually can't do that either iirc, there's a big VW/stance meet in New Jersey every year that always ends up with a lot of out of state showcars getting impounded because the owners try to drive them up

> live in michigan
> get 2016 fiesta 1.6na
> 1minor accident on record
> 0 duis
> quoted $630 a month for insurance
> go straight back to driving my old econobox
> still $130 a month plpd

move.

I live in las vegas. I pay 100/mo to insure 2 cars. registration for both is about $50/yr. no inspections or tolls. I spend maybe a couple hundred bucks a year in maintenance for the 2 cars. you can also get decent NA miatas here for under $3k, or a beater DD for like 1500bux. all 100% rust free of course.

>$630 a month for insurance

Holy fuck

I pay $100/mo for my 2015 FiST

yeah but you live in Las Vegas.

i bought a miata in a really good condition for around ~$2800 and the insurance costs me $70 a year
there are yearly inspections that costs $25, but other than that, nothing
as for the drawbacks the gas certainly ain't cheap and the roads are in meh condition, but it's not that bad

guess my country

MI is a no-fault state IIRC because dindus so that's why everyone gets raped on insurance.

It's not. Literal poorfag here (last year's taxes were

Explain this one to me because I'm trying to figure out how going to a car meet gets your shit impounded.

roads seem to oxidize faster more pot holes. bad weather, rust. salt on roads etc. other poor driving conditions with weather. Meters themselves are just complicated and annoying for parking.

Buy shitbox for cheap

Do your own service and repairs

It's not difficult. You're a grad student for Christ sake. HS dropouts do this shit for a living.

>NE cities
>New York
No

>News flash, you voted for the people that made those laws
News flash: No we didn't you stupid fuck, those laws were in place before most of our parents even had a car.

And nobody is talking about lowering any, just making shit more expensive.

Don't live in fucking new york.

It's quite literally "New England".

>move.
>I live in las vegas
No.

I'm a full time student living at home
Sure I have ~2k saved up, but it's no where near enough for a cheap car like an NA miata and all the bullshit accompanying expenses.
In NY I'm positive they have all this bullshit in place so people use the MTA more.
Which would be cool and all, but I have a 4 hour trip from brooklyn to Albany to make like twice a month and fuck having to deal with the Amtrak, especially in the winter.

I think it'd have to be people racing or being a noise disturbance. Jersey probably has some gay ass proximity laws

t. flyover state

I pay $110 a month for $1 million/$1 million liability and $1,000 deductibles on my 2015 Ford Fusion Titanium in New York. When I started insurance, it was $200/mo for much less coverage and no comprehensive/collision coverage in Pennsylvania at age 22 (licensed since age 20).

New York is a no fault state which means when drivers cause accidents, other than by premium increases, they don't pay for any of the damage. Example: Bob is considered "at fault" in an accident with Joe. Joe claims to have whiplash (hard to disprove, a lot of people lie). Joe sues Bob's iinsurer who now has to pay up to the policy limits. It's not uncommon for simple whiplash claims to recover $100,000+ from the insurer.

There's a lot of debate on whether no fault actually saves any money. I'm in the camp that thinks it actually contributes to higher premiums.

I drive around brooklyn occasionally, and the way people drive is fucking insane
Going 40+ local, breaking lights, skipping stop signs, double and triple parking etc
Fucking insane

It's funny the amount of shenanigans you see in NYC considering what tickets cost in New York. In westchester a stop sign ticket in my town is $117 + $93 in court fees = $200 in total. Speeding tickets are even worse. (Doesn't include premium impact or cost to hire a lawyer/take time off work).

>New York is a no fault state
>Joe sues Bob's insurer

I don't think that's how no-fault works. You (and your occupants) are covered by your insurance company. The other person's damages/injuries are covered by theirs. Regardless of who was at fault (hence 'no fault'). One company suing another is restricted and rare.

Needless to say, (((lawyers))) don't like this system.