Sup aut/o/

Sup aut/o/
I'm looking at getting my first car and I found this 1991 supra. The engine looks to be in pretty good shape and it has about 117k on it. The interior is alright but it's an automatic, although the that won't really stop me since I live in a heavy traffic area.

Turbo or na?

I'm hoping to assume you're broke, which is why you're buying a 26 year old sports car. Don't buy that car if you're poor, it will probably keep you poor.

Hear me out user... If you can afford the down/monthly payments on a newer car then do that. It will be much, much more reliable. I'd only recommend buying an old used car if you already own something else.

Na
What would y'all recommend? I wanna get something sporty, but not something like a v6 mustang. My price ceiling is 8k

sc300/400. these motors are unkillable.

>people ITT says not to buy an old sports car
>posts old sports car

A v6 Mustang or Camaro from the later 90s is gonna be decently reliable, a 91 Supra is a deep-ish money pit depending on the last owner.

So if I buy the supra I can't feed my drug addiction? Sounds like a win.
On a more serious note, what's the performance like on those 3rd gen supras? I know that gen was when it finally became its own car, but does it handle much better than that SR 400 for example?

they arent that old, (made until 2000), and he clearly wants something at least slightly sporty. sc was too heavy to be a real sports car, but a solidly built (this was 90s lexus trying to establish themselves, great build quality) gt it excelled. what i read from the other posts was that they were wary of repair costs and tax, but SCs are very reliable (if he does want a non sports car then look for an ls400 my man)

4th gen Altima coupe 3.5 V6 with 6 sp manual.

or if you can find one for the right price an Infiniti g35 coupe.

First thing you want to do is replace the headgasket and buy new headbolts, they're torque to yield and can snap if you try to reuse them.

Toyota under torqued the head and as a result stock 7m's are notorious for headgasket problems.

Those are awesome cars but they are so hard to find. I almost never see them anymore. You can also swap over Supra turbo stuff.

If you need something sporty, look for a used Acura or something. You're going to also get absolutely dicked on being a young guy wanting a sporty car.

So buy aftermarket (ARP) head bolts. They're not torque to yield and can be reused, maybe even at higher than stock torque. Make sure to ask the manufacturer for actual recommendations and follow them to the letter. Make sure to tell them you want to fix the stock under-torque problem.

Use a high quality head gasket of the same thickness as stock, but aftermarket brands are fine (look for quality even if it costs more, it will save you in the long run).

Eh, I'm 19 and I love me some flip up headlights. Also it's the most outrun style car I've seen besides a testarossa and countach

They should be torqued to 75ft/lbs, toyota fucked up and only torqued to 58ft/lbs......

You don't have to ask arp recommendations for head studs, just buy them for a 7mge, they don't make anything different and the torque procedure is the same as factory.

>7m-ge
>26 year old automatic trans
>slower than a v6 accord
Just get a civic for 3k until you can afford something good.

Trust me on, buy a cheap, reliable daily driver, and her a motorcycle. You can go faster than 90 percent of cars on the road for less than 1500 for a motorcycle and get great gas mileage.

And then die because you hit a small pothole and it propelled you, spine first, into a tree at 120 mph.

Fuck motorcycles. Cars are comfier and (somewhat) safer.

If you want something vaguely sporty, cheap, and reliable then a Prelude is probably your best bet.

I'm not going to tell you they're not dangerous, but everything is dangerous. If you drive or ride defensively you'll be fine.

Plenty of people don't die every day, usually by using common sense and riding with purpose. Also a bike will be more fuel efficient, have cruiser l cheaper insurance and, in my opinion, are a lot more fun and engaging to operate

Does the prelude have a big aftermarket scene in terms of tuning? I'd love a car that I can tune and upgrade and make mine over the years

>be you
>be 19
>get fast car
>don't drive it fast
>pay for gas guzzling

Bretty stupid for a first car.
Mine was an A4 with the 2l engine and I already thought I got shit mpg.
Get something with a small engine and a 5 speed manual.
So when you actually can drive well you still can go hooning.
Or rice it out with straight pipes, tabō tune and other shit so it goes fun.

Also for 8k you can get a used Merc E class or C class.
A6 and newer BMW 3-Series or older 5-Series.

I daily one user. You'll constantly worry about your headgasket untill it blows up, and you'll be depressed about how your car is too old to be fast, and doesn't handle well either. Just buy a newer turbo car. Get a mazdaspeed 6/3 or something.

75ft/lbs is for stock bolts. ARP recommends 90. I just put ARP's in my 7m like a month ago. Still too spooked to turn the boost up though.

dont buy a "fun" car when you dont have a daily
just buy a normal daily and keep it as a daily then buy whatever you want as a secondary car

>Also for 8k you can get a used Merc E class or C class.
A6 and newer BMW 3-Series or older 5-Series.
so instead of buying a sports car he should buy a luxury car that will be expensive to fix, have high insurance, and also guzzles gas. fucking genius

fuck it, i'm getting a miata

Oh that's what you mean. Then yeah. Just drop them ARP's in and it's time to rock'n'roll.

Fuck, yes I forgot to add that he should always get the biggest engine, forgot that he is american and can't go for 2-3l engines or diesels.
Silly me :^)

The 7m (engine in OPs car) is not a reliable DD. 1jz Twin Turbo w/ automatic would drop right in though. Great motor.

OP, that supra looks messed up. The front clip looks like it's from a 89/90 with the round emblem slapped on top. It's supposed to be where the rectangular supra symbol is on the front, not right on the hood like that. The spoiler on the back also looks like it's from an 86.5-88.
With that in mind, considering it's auto, NA and will probably not have had anything done to the headgasket, I would avoid this one.

If you don't care about any of that and really want this car, just be prepared for things to go wrong on it. These can be great cars, I have one and it was my first car as well, but I'm constantly fixing things on it. It can be a bit of a money pit but I love my supra and don't mind. It's taught me a lot about fixing cars out of necessity as well since I don't always have the cash to get a shop to fix it for me.

If you want to buy this, I wouldn't spend more than 3000 on it.

Good suggestion. I also recommend a G37 or G35 coupe in manual. They make decent power stock and have a lot of aftermarket support.

buy ae86

I wouldn't buy one if you aren't obsessed over it. They are big money pits. I'm on my 3rd Supra. Love them to death. It's literally my favorite car. 7m blow all the time. 1jz or 2jz is the remedy.

just buy a miata.

well, the answer is always Miata...

Ah, finally some proper tips, thanks for the heads ups, user. Mainly I'm looking for a car that will teach me about cars as I own it over the years. Hell, I may even swap a 1jz into it once I know enough. Thanks again for the help.

I would avoid a mk3 supra, unless you are mechanically inclined and already work on your own stuff. I daily a non turbo 5 SPD 88. It was decently reliable, but eventually blew the head gasket and also started burning oil. These cars are notorious for head gasket failures and rod knock. So I would not recommend it for a daily. A weekend/project car, sure.

Nice thing about the 89 and up is they use the same motor mounts as the 1jz and 2jz, so that makes the swap pretty simple. Also the 1uz and and LS engines fit as well.

Any more questions, feel free to ask. I think I still have parts for mine laying around.

>3.8 mustang
>Reliable

Pick one

They were a decent competitor to the corvette of that era. For a bigger, heavier car (3700ish lbs) they handle well. With sway bar and coil overs, they corner alsmot flat and are predictable. Weight balance is almost 50/50 and the center of gravity feels to be right under the gear shift. Only real problem is a kinda shit lock to lock (not sure how to explain) but I think there are aftermarket knuckles available now.

As a matter of fact I do have a question. The other guy was talking about the front clip, in regards to it looked like it was replaced. Pardon the noob question, but what is the front clip?

>Hurr mk3 will financially destroy you
>cheap and easy solution already discussed in thread

Front clip just means the front end, ie fenders forward. Late model (89+) supras have a different front bumper and rear tail lights and wing. He's saying this is a pre 89 model with an 89 front bumper setup.

Ohhhhh I gotcha. Yeah that doesn't sound too good. I'll try to find another one if I can. If not, I'll probably stick with this one

Fuck those two guys. The correct answer is Fox Body Mustang.

It's not actually that big a deal. Most people just like the 89+ body style better. Still though, an NA supra is not really a great use of your money. All the spookyness of the 7m headgasket issue, none of the power of. You'll just be left with a floppy, heavy, underpowered, time bomb until you do an engine swap, which will run you about 5k ish if you have a shop put in a turbo motor for you, motor included.

>rod knock on a 7M
Yeah if you're incredibly retarded and never check the oil it'll happen to any engine.

If I wanted to buy a boat on wheels I'd be looking at caddys

I'll probably do the swap myself. There's a nice how to online for swapping a 1jz into a mkiii that I can follow, and a hoist is only $200. I'm gonna roll around with the original 7M in it for a bit (after fixing the head gasket) and swap it when I get the expertise and time. From what I'm told it'll be a great car to learn how to take care of my own with.