Engine Oil

Engine Oil.

It is time to change my oil again, Veeky Forums. I generally use a castrol or mobil 1 full synthetic. It is about $30 for the 5 quarts for my car, I use ~4.7 of 0-W20. It is just an econobox.

My question is this: How can I obtain quality oil as cheaply as lube shops?

I don't take my car to lube shops anymore because I constantly have issues with them. Too much oil, not enough oil, scratching the paint, spilling oil all over engine bay and not cleaning it, etc. Not to mention sometimes it takes an hour+ for the service that takes me about 30 minutes from the time I get under the car, till the time I take the used oil to the recycler.

But buying oil from a retailer is expensive. It isn't un-affordable, just a lot more than what lube shops pay/charge.

Anyone know where to get quality oil at wholesale cost?

>pic related, walmart is charging $21 for a single quart of this

Go to a real walmart, they often have mobil1 and castrol 5qt jugs of full synthetic 0w20 for $22-26. That $21 price you're seeing is probably online from a different seller, not walmart themselves. The normal price for single quarts is around $8.

Don't get your filter there though, go to oreillys and get a wix or wix XP. Everything walmart sells is fram garbage or overpriced bosch. Unless you want motorcraft, they have that too for a reasonable price.

t. walmart tire and lube employee

>walmart is charging $21 for a single quart of this

My walmart has 5 quart jug of that for 24.50 and Castrol Edge 0w-20 for 22.97.

If your gonna buy a Fram filter get the Ultra.

Try ordering from walmart.com ?

Dang, I've been using the frams this whole time. What's wrong with them? Should I be concerned now?

Don't use Fram filters, they are inferior paper filters. Use OEM filters or at least like Bosch or Mobil1

As long as you're changing it frequently (like no more than 4k between) frams most likely didn't do any damage. They get a lot of hate because they use cardboard end caps instead of metal end caps, less filter material with shit pleat spacing and cheaper paper media, the black grippy shit on the outside rubs on the box in shipping and gets in the filter, and charge a lot for what you're getting. Fram extra guards are about $4 anywhere, when you can get a much, MUCH better filter from anyone else for $5-8.

Gotcha, thanks.

Ok, got one more question about the oil.

Local walmart stopped carrying my 0w-20 Mobile 1 full synthetic. The only other option they have available is Castrol Titanium 0w-20. Can I mix these two oils?

Also, they said they were discontinuing 0w-20 oils. Wut???

All weights mix.

Although you can use 5w-20 instead, also depending on climate a thicker oil can help to prevent wear.

i doubt they are discontinuing 0w20 considering how many new vehicles use it

You can get cheaper oil of you worked at a dealership.
I haven't paid for an oil change on my cars in 2 years.

Free oil and filters for me.

t.Former Walmart tire lube employee
t.former Honda tech
t.current Subaru tech

>It is just an econobox

Then why use synthetic? Just make sure you change your oil frequently.

>Don't use Fram filters, they are inferior paper filters.
If they are made in china counterfeits. Fram continues to have a problem with counterfeit filters just like Proctor & Gamble has problems with fake Bounty and fake toothpastes. Real Frams are assembled in the USA and use synthetic filter material and endcaps; there's no paper or cardboard in them like chinese filters. The Fram ultra filters are best especially for cars that do a lot of start/stop cycles like EcoTec and hybrids since those engines have a lot more oil pressure pulses.

Chinese counterfeiting is widespread and even commercial airplane parts are counterfeited. What really sucks is safety oriented equipment can be compromised. Chinese really love to incorrectly mark bolts and metal grades. They've even "cut" baby formula with filler materials.

1) oil pressure changes with rpm, not sure what you mean by hybrid engine oil pulses

2)Fram use cellulose filter media, with cellulose fiber endcaps.

Almost every other filter has superior construction for a similar price

looks like that might be an error m8.

>My question is this: How can I obtain quality oil as cheaply as lube shops?

Previous oil threads on Veeky Forums even listed prices and sellers of bulk oils at wholesale prices. You don't get fancy consumer containers though.

The NAPA ones are pretty good as well.

>I generally use a castrol or mobil 1 full synthetic

Check the 540Rat Oil Database at 540ratblog.wordpress.com

NAPA is Wix, so they're bretty good. Overpriced like many things at NAPA though.

t. Eight year NAPA employee at work right now.

OP, keep an eye out for whichever chain parts store is having an oil change specific sale that month. You can usually get good prices on good oil and filters that way. Amazon is usually pretty reasonable too.

I've found several OE filters to be pretty crappy when you really look at them. At least Toyota and Nissan in my experience. I would just stick with a known brand. Like Wix(NAPA Gold) or Mobil if you're feeling extravagant.

>Anyone know where to get quality oil at wholesale cost?
walmart.com lets you buy the FIVE QUART JUGS at a nice price of $25 or so. The shipping is free to the nearest walmart retail store where you pick it up.

walmart.com is also a place to pick up extra additive extra detergent Pennzoil Platinum ULTRA full synthetic 5-quart jugs. Pennzoil doesn't make giant runs of this limited edition oil, so it runs out. But walmart.com lets you set up an email alert for when it gets back in stock. BITOG had someone do time lapse photos over several months and the Ultra really did clean even the stubborn glaze inside the engine.

Purolators had been getting holes in them as mentioned at BITOG. A lot of posters there do their own oil changes, and some of them will open up the cannisters to check on the filter. It was found that the Purolator brand would have holes in the filter material.

Current Toyota tech
Do you stock pile fluids too?
I have enough fluids sitting in my box to last my cars 5 years.

When in doubt, use elven oil

NO. Use the platinum ultra version.

Can you find a link to that? I'm looking for it now and can't seem to find anything.

Go on bobistheoilguy
Or just use vegetable oil

sorry, but tamoil makes high quality oil and very cheap also

My current Costco circular has a $10 coupon for all the Mobil 1 synthetics. I think they're packaged as 6-quart cartons.

>tamoil makes high quality oil
But pennzoil's container has TWO handles so that means the oil must be better. When the next top oil comes out with a container with three handles, I'll buy that one!

I'm a tech too. Go to Walmart, they literally can't be beat with the mobile 1 prices. Even our wholesale places can't beat them. Every few weeks we clear their shelves and just cart it out of there

don't get cucked by the payment jew
just steal it.

>just steal it.
The 5 quart jugs of full synthetic oil from walmart are so cheap there is no need to steal anything. And if you use walmart corporation's own pet brand of SuperTech, then it is $17.96 for 5 quarts of full synthetic oil at my local walmart.

No need to waste plastic on two handles if a funnel is used. But people who buy the jugs and use it to top off multiple cars appreciate having the extra handle.