Agdg

A progress a day keeps thew GF away

> Next Jam: Comfy Jam
itch.io/jam/agdg-comfy-jam

> Play Demo Day 12!
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627 (embed)

> Previous Thread
(Cross-thread)

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/KUSDs9vt (embed)

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/8DFkkce3 (embed)
> Engines
Construct 2: scirra.com/construct2
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
LÖVE: love2d.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.project-retrograde.com/2013/05/marching-squares/
games.project-retrograde.com/marching-squares/
0fps.net/2013/07/09/texture-atlases-wrapping-and-mip-mapping/
saltgames.com/article/awareTiles/
lwn.net/Articles/249460/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Reposting because new thread but

I want to make an NPC cat in my game whos negative and just shittalks boku the whole game but is also the tutorial cat
basically agdg persona'd into an npc
what should his name be?

Mentions so far:
argyle
dagbert
aggy
aggie
doug
Naggy
Naggy Dag
Naggy Daggy

Mmmmm comfy.
>B-but user there is no air in space, so how can there be a campf-
Shut up.

aggie dag

repost, or rather little update ... is this ok so far?

Or do I need a whole different approach in case more than 2 tiletypes "meet"?

Context?

I'll be honest, I've seen the last time you posted, but I'm still puzzled and have no idea what you are doing or what you want to achieve.

Automated generation of transitions between tiles on a 2d tilemap, using marching squares. I kinda thought that's obvious...

merging different tiles types, right? I remember doing something right that a year ago, looks ok

user... this *A*gdq, at least given an example of what it's good for.

... and I know it'll work just fine for 2 tiletypes. But looking at something like
blog.project-retrograde.com/2013/05/marching-squares/

I'm starting to wonder if I'm trying to make it "too easy", because this guy is using "rings" (see pic) and I don't really get what he's doing there.

hehe, alright, I forgot where I am... see example which can run inside a browser here:

why not just do this shit manually

Because it's tedious and just begs for automation of some kind. And it's standard for almost all 2d games with tilemaps, especially with procedurally generated maps.

>Because it's tedious
git gud

I'm a programmer though, not a leveleditor monkey.

Is that a joke? Of course it isn't obvious. I guessed it had something to do with this, but the details of what you are trying to achieve escape me.

Is animator-kun-senpai around? How can I get good first person animations for melee combat?

Actually, I was serious. You can find variations of this algorithm using similar diagrams in like every book about graphics programming which was published the last decades. Marching squares is so ancient, I assumed it's common knowledge. Especially here where a lot of people work on retro 2D stuff.

Apologies if it was too vague.

I need some help understanding meshes in Voxel engines (especially the Minecraft kind).

Let's say I have a Minecraft-like voxel engine with textures, like picrelated. A big part of optimization is reducing draw calls (i.e. drawing only what is visible to the player). So the way I understand it, is that instead of drawing full cubes you draw squares, which will form a mesh of all the visible sides of cubes.

Look at the tree trunks in the picrelated. Those aren't squares, those are rectangles that have a repeated texture.

Am I missing something, or were those drawn in a single draw call that will also put multiples of that texture?

hillary clinton

Level design ugu~~~

Don't put too much thought into the tree trunks, those are a very specific optimization. It's far more important to -generally- avoid drawing anything invisible. So first of all you obviously don't draw anything which is not inside the field of view (i.e. objects behind your back), then you don't draw polygons where the face normal is not pointing towards the camera (backsides of the cubes), then you sort your shit by distance and don't draw stuff in the background where you already drew opaque stuff in the foreground. With block worlds like minecraft you can kinda calculate "when I have drawn a cube here right in front of me, I don't need to draw any cubes in the background which are concealed by it" (and since everything is a cube, you can use relatively simple math for that projection) and so on.

As much as I like proper first person, with full model, animation, it's really hard and there's a reason that most people use a FPS model to do them.

is anyone keeping track of the number of times that i googled something, couldn't find the answer, wrote a post with my question, then googled some more, and found the answer? because we need to increment that

0fps.net/2013/07/09/texture-atlases-wrapping-and-mip-mapping/

Yeah, those are obvious and I'll do them since they're not too hard to figure out. I just didn't know how can greedy meshing with textures be done. The link above says it's possible, so I'll look into it if I ever struggle with performance.

Smoke doesn't match rest of the artstyle, fire could use some more variation and layers, possibly an animated spritesheet or something.

Otherwise looking pretty nice.

Thanks! I hope to live up to your expectations. And my own.

What's a good third person camera to emulate?

Dark Souls? Mass Effect?

saltgames.com/article/awareTiles/

Here's one approach that only cares about it's own tile type and not what it's bordering. You could maybe combine this with the rings method to get a nice amount of variation.

what genre?

It depends entirely on what type of game you're planning to use it for.

Different cameras are good for different purposes.

Something with both melee combat and heavy magic attack/spell use

I might consider something like Tera's camera. It has a soft lock system for spells and works really nicely for it's melee as well. And most importantly works well with a mouse.

Kingdoms of Amalur had a decent one. Seriously.

>saltgames.com/article/awareTiles/
I've read that article a while ago, but thanks!

Kingdom of Amalur was okay. I don't remember much about it but dashing daggers and different dodges for each class. Now that I think about it, I might reinstall it and Dragon's Dogma and play around a bit for inspiration..

I played Tera for a few hours before giving up.

>giving up on delicious loli thighs
!!!!

People went to the moon and you can't make a video game?

Reposting progress because it makes me feel happy :D

Sat waiting trying to fix the floating sit bug while i wait for digimon to arrive

[IMPORTANT REMINDER]
>Comfy jam starts in 5 days
[/IMPORTANT REMINDER]

>His sound track doesn't have a eurobeat, dnb and or happy hardcore in it.

>His game doesn't have a cute girl (male) as his protaganist

>I played Tera for a few hours before giving up.
The game's combat is great, other aspects of it not so much.

The camera is still pretty good imo.

Is this real?

You could cut the head and limit the downwards Z-axis of the camera

Nothing is vague except what exactly you were trying to achieve? We get the whole idea of storing the edges in bits. What is the issue you are having? Are you doing something special?

Is this just fantasy?

don't belittle me captain, you don't know shit about vidya

Caught in a landslide!
No escape from realityyyyyy :D

Comfy progress!
I plugged in almost all the player animations. I still have to weak them a bit (since I based them on the old machine where the lever and the thing you spin are positioned differently) but overall it works fine.
>mfw I have coroutines that call coroutines that call corouties

what engine?

>corouties
im guessing unity

yep

Is it acceptable to ask about modding?

I'm planning to do a campaign for one of the NWN games, for which I'll have to add/remove races, classes, gods, tinker with spells (new spells, changing costs) and generally mess around with that sort of thing to fit my setting. I'm planning on using only base game and expansion assets and I don't care about the graphics.

Having only played the games through lended copies ages ago, I'll have to buy either of them.

Which game is better to work with? It can be of ease of use of the toolkit, for reasons related to the base game (I remember NWN2's clunky controls and people seem to prefer NWN's UI) or whatever. Keep in mind that I'm a first-timer when it comes to modding and scripting in general.

OPEN YOUR EYES!

I've never used a coroutine in Unity. What sort of situations do you actually need them in? Would it have made my turn-based game easier to make?

Coroutines are a meme and should only be used in loading

yes

I don't think there's a situation that needs a coroutine. It might've saved you some code somewhere but Unity in general isn't well suited out of the box for turn based games so you always have to code a lot of shit for that to work.

Modding isn't gamedev and unless someone has personally modded NWN they probably can't help you. Google can.

Look up to the sky and see

If you're doing any kind of "real game" in unity you should be writing your own engine to handle the general update cycle using regular C# classes instead of attaching monobehaviors to shit and letting go of any control of the order things are executed

easy, the campfire has its own oxidizer

>says the dev without a "real game"
really makes you think

if you give me millions of dollars I could probably go to the moon easier than I could make a video game

What would be a good way to make hacking in a game both fun and at least somewhat based in realism?
I want to create a game where "hacking" is part of the level progression but I'm trying to avoid minigamey type stuff like Fallout3+ or worse, Bioshock

>Unity in general isn't well suited out of the box for turn based games
How is it not well suited? It has everything you'd ever need for a turn-based game.

I only use coroutine when I need to have some code in the same method execute at different times.

Say, for example you're generating a 9000x9000 grid of something complex. You can do this in a single for, but chances are if you do it in a single frame you're going to have a hell of a fps drop.
You can "try" to work your code around by adding some temporary variable keeping track of which object you're generating etc. but that's additional work.
With a coroutine you still use a single for but it allows you to put a yield in between and you're done :
- for (x,y)
- do your stuff
- yield, wait for x number of frames or t time
- endfor
And you're done. No shaddy temporary variable or anything here.

except for any kind of way to make turns, yeah

It really depends on what you're making.

A lot of games can be made with MonoBehaviours and as long as you're not full retarded about it they can even be fairly nicely structured.

Writing it all yourself will probably get you some performance though. Assuming you're good enough to write it well.

This Any real time game doesn't really need a new major system to be implemented before you can start developing/prototyping it on Unity.

You know you ACTUALLY have to code to make games, right? It isn't just supposed to be 'Oh, I'll just load the Turn-based Mechanics asset'.
And turn-based games is child's play anyway if you know state-machines

i tend to use them like this, they're great for cooldowns. you also need them when you're requesting something from the internet, like a scorelist or something.

Except you can control the order in Unity.

the whole point of using an engine is so you can just focus on content and game logic

you have to build a turn based engine on top of unity to start, that's not "everything you need"

but turn-based is game logic

Tiling textures is simple. You just set the wrap mode and sample outside of the UV bounds.

The script execution order setting isn't good enough
Show me how to control the order that each instance of the same script is executed

no, it's a fundamentally different way to do time and updates

It's really not though, all you're looking for is a change in the state of the game when the turn is finished

>If you're doing any kind of "real game" in unity you should be writing your own engine

Huh, that's neat. I've just been using time.deltaTime counters.

Is there any reason to use C instead of C++?

Why don't you make your own script execution order controller or something?

You don't necessarily have to use Update with any MonoBehaviours, you can do it the old way and have a script managing the updates of every objects.

lwn.net/Articles/249460/

What is he saying, agdg? Jokes aside, does this look passable? I'm not really good at animations.

Also, how many NPCs should my Comfy Jam game have? I was thinking of making 4-5 with palette swaps if needed.

No. You can create your own subset of C++ that acts almost identical to C. Then you only have more options from there.

It is great. The only thing would be to extend it and make it loop seamlessly.

Memory management is hard

Thanks. It's already looping, but Blender has this very small pause between a loop and the next one so it seems as if it stops for an instant.

That's MY point, user

I'm just a poor boy

I need no sympathy

the greys/black clash with the earth tones.

eh

Agree with gogem here, Try giving the grays more brown saturation and avoid using full on black altogether.

If you were to make a game for Switch and had to use the ir motion camera, what would you use it for?

I know basically nobody would actually use it, but hypothetically.

what can it do?

Virginity check game. A girl spreads her pussy, and the game recognizes if the hymen is still there or not.

How does it work?

Right. I'll try to change the palette a bit. Thanks.

Progress:
>shitty ice level tiles
>made enemy mecha shoot in bursts
>added shotgun
>added sound effects (finally)
>dodge is no longer shitty