Is business for me?

Hello Anons,

I'm creating this thread to gain the opinions of others to see if the business world is for me. When I say this, I mean is there a profitable role in the business world that is tailored to my skill set and there's a good chance of me making profits.

The reason why I'm asking this question is because for the past one to two years, I have been searching for a side business venture. I currently work as a full time police officer and serve in my nation's military part time.

Often times on my days off I feel like I could be making extra money. I already put overtime in both of my jobs and have enough time to do other social/recreational things (i.e. friends, girlfriend, working out, going out etc). I guess you can say I'm looking for another hobby/skill to spice my life up a little bit and at the same time make some money.

I'm not your typical user looking for some quick get rich scheme. I'm fairly comfortable with life and with what I make/do. Though what I am looking for is something more that's on the side, that's interesting to learn and can make an extra couple bucks a month. I'd figure something in the business world could possibly fulfill that. Hence why I've been looking.

I'm also not a "NEET". I have a major in Criminology and a minor in Social Work. I've also had the opportunity to train at the international level with other military's in terms of tactical training. I volunteer time to time with my nearby community center and have enrolled in additional courses offered by external companies (i.e. conflict resolution).

The catch is that I try to be business minded and have been told growing up. So far I've been relatively smart with my money and save most of the time (60k+ saved and no debts). At the same time, I'm horrible with math and numbers. I've looked into business education but majority of it doesn't seem interesting to learn.

To be continued below. Thank you for reading this so far, it mean's a lot.

Other urls found in this thread:

npr.org/podcasts/510313/how-i-built-this
tripleaughtdesign.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Continuation.

Though I find this board particularly entertaining and intriguing. It's cool to see the business community interact and talk about various topics. I guess you can say I'm interested in money making but it's harder than it sounds.

I've consider stocks, e-commerce, real estate and running my own business. Though I don't find that interest spark when I look into those ventures. Futhermore, I also can't think of what skills I could use that would want a customer to buy in. As you read most of my skills is within the law enforcement sector (fitness, tactical, public speaking etc).

I'm not going to ramble on further but to end off, my great grandfather was a great business man. He owned his own sand and gravel company and owned multiple properties. I thought moving forward, someone in my family should follow in his footsteps in some way or another.

So /biz, is business for me? If so, any suggestions on what to look into? If not, then please let me know!

What about selling tactical equipment, and hold your own tactical equipment usage course?

>training people to have cop skills
>become a PI
>bodyguard
>criminal
there's tons of options

do you have any investments? i suggest learn the ropes of trading with some books, they are dirt cheap and even free.

then ask for directions

I've considered selling customized Under Armour shirts with your own choice of law enforcement logo on them (army, police, fire, ems etc). The thing is though many departments already have their own shirts and may not need another shirt just because it's Under Armour.

In terms of tactical equipment, most of the places I know don't get too much business, every time I go to check out what's new, the stores are pretty dead. In addition there's a lot of competition on the market and you usually need to know homeland manufactures (some of the best tac equipment comes from US).

My police department has restrictions around officers being PI's, bodyguards or serving in private military's while with the service.

The only investment I really have is RSP's and was convinced to do mutual funds, which the bank does all that for me.

I know there is different types of trading, any suggestions?

this is really a whole world to explore.

i suggest looking at options by learning the basics. the internet is loaded with information but avoid sponsored articals and youtube video's.
if you want real professional insight on the basics look at amazon or lynda.
far as trading options goes i can't really help you because im learning the ropes too, maybe some anons can help you.

I'm 29 and have fair amount of life experience. You're definitely right that there is a whole world to explore but I feel like the business world is limited, no?

Thanks for the additional tips though. I'll try to look into it.

any person that is eager to learn and have work ethic can get into business.
consider that half of businesses fail because people don't know how to go about it.
sorry if im talking in clues here but i don't want to feel responsible to give you something that isn't fitting or low yield.

Look into private military companies if you want to make serious money/put in serious work.
Since you have connections to the military and police you could maybe make it work.

Otherwise if you want to sell something related (tactical equipment, guns, bullets), sell services (training, classes) or even do something else (shooting range, workshop) you'll have to do some market research/analysis.
Look what people want, something there isn't enough of. Sounds simple but this takes a lot of research/communication etc.
Buy a book / search the internet on market research.
Hope this helps.

Much agreed, that is true to any field.

Though the big question is, is it interesting enough to do and are people passionate about the matter?

Good idea but won't have enough time as most PMC operators I know are overseas and as I said my police department won't allow me.

Hm, I'll take that into account though. Ranges where I live aren't too popular because of the laws. And there is a small community/market for tac equipment/guns. Training/classes isn't a bad option.

Any suggestions for books?

Any other anons opinions?

even tho you gave alot of detail about yourself i still don't know what is good for you and what directions i should give you.

every person is good at something. talent is very important to your progress.
want some experience in sales? start selling stuff you don't need. interested in trading? do a smalltime investment. you need to test the ground first before you know what is best suited for you.

Being actively concern about raising their own capital and securing a future is a corner stone of any businessman you have a go ahead. Concerning starting a business even though you have firearm training it doesnt sound like there's a large enough market around your area to start out with - dont try to shoehorn your primary skills/interest into a nonexistent market unless you do research through data, interviews, surveys, etc. One of the big mistakes with some people is they think they have a great idea but ultimately no one cares for it - exhausted energy. Think of a void in your area that can be filled, whether that means opening up shop or buying into a franchise.

So I'm assuming that's a yes the business world is for me but it's tough to find that gap/need. I've been suggested to open up a gym in an area where there isn't one. Thanks for your input by the way, much appreciated. Thoughts on this?

the books ive read really concern about lean development (im not a business owner) but recently NPR started a program interviewing a variety of entrepreneurs, not about making businesses but just their mentality and what drove them to what they came to be today

npr.org/podcasts/510313/how-i-built-this

planet money is also good

I'll look into that, thanks for the info. I also thought about selling workout apparel (personal custom made) to my friends and colleagues at work.

But the problem is how often will people buy customized apparel for your net income to outweigh your work. Im not sure how many events in your area call for a custom shirt to constantly generate a stream revenue which kind of correlates to repeating customers - how much clothes have you bought? On top of that custom apparel? Additionally customizable goods are big for online business, so you have to do research if you can ensure you have new AND repeating customers, but you can also provide a leap of service compared to your online competitors - consistently (maybe you know something more than me than i dont, but just trying to debate you so that you can see both sides

Try flipping stuff on social media. It's fun and you make money. For example spend a few weeks monitoring local classifieds and Facebook groups for smartphone sales. Write down the avg prices for each model, then buy phones priced under the avg (haggle etc) and sell above the avg price. I make $800 a month doing this. Make sure you check the imei number and check for water dmg etc.

The sleep is kicking in, but mass customization has been established by online businesses who, akin to fast food, has to logistics to put out high manufacturing at a low cost (lands end, customink). Clothing is easy entry, but you stay in mostly due to unique designs (which is dependant on your art skills).
If you are kind of interested in clothes maybe you start a lifestyle store that has the mil.spec appeal for civilian life (almost like REI)

example
tripleaughtdesign.com/