4Runners

I found a 2007 4Runner SR5 that seems decent price (9500). It has 143k mi but seems to be in good condition. Can anyone tell me about 4runners and any tips buying one used?

Not much to say about them. Good cars overall. Some models even have genuine 4x4 option. The 4cyl version is slow as fuck but will get the job done. Based on the highlander/rav4 platform which is GOAT tier when it comes to comfort/utility/reliability.

I wouldn't pay $9,500 for it though. My 2010 Highlander with 68,000 miles was valued at $20k or so a few years back

Yes,

don't buy one with 143k mi.

>genuine 4x4 option

What does it mean to be "genuine" 4x4? I have heard this before, don't really understand.

Also, kbb lists the market value for the one I'm looking at at about 10500-12500, so 9500 seems decent. Why would your highlander be a good comparison?

Thanks for the replies so far.

also the one I'm looking at is the V8 with VVTi (260hp), not V6 or I4s.

Not even close to the RAV4 or highlander. Those 2 are unibody crossovers with AWD.

4runner is body on frame (still) with part time 4WD.

They all (with the exception of the new limited) can offroad quite well.

And by they all, I meant all trims of the 4runner. New rav 4s and highlanders cant offroad worth a damn.

Old old rav 4s were OK but still not great

2007 4runner is 4th generation , much better safety features than 1st gen (1980s trucks had few requirements)

4runners known for reliability and strength around the world (named toyota hilux surf in most countries)

if you are buying as "suv" then look for ones NOT lifted, NOT rock-crawling, etc.

Okay as everyday vehicle if you dont mind 18-20 mpg avg city/hwy and maybe 26mpg legal hwy speeds. Harder for seniors, little kids, old dogs to climb into compared with minivan/car.

It is a good truck, it drinks like a mad ape but you already know that if you are shopping for that kind of vehicule.

You're a complete fucking retard, but that's been pointed out already.

>ITT: people that have no idea about anything

>people that have no idea about anything

Are you doubting the fact it is a 2007 with V8 and VVTi? How does this mean I don't know what I am talking about? I am the one asking for advice/opinions, anyway.

Make sure that the serpentine belt has been recently replaced. The calipers are notorious for freezing. If you have a sunroof, make sure to blast the drains with compressed air. If 4x4, make sure the owner actually used it otherwise you won't be able to shift the drive mode.

That's a decent price if it's 4wd. 143k isn't much on these. It'll last another 150k.

>Make sure that the serpentine belt has been recently replaced. The calipers are notorious for freezing. If you have a sunroof, make sure to blast the drains with compressed air. If 4x4, make sure the owner actually used it otherwise you won't be able to shift the drive mode.

Thanks. Forgive the ignorance but by serpentine belt you mean another separate belt from the timing belt, correct? I understand the timing belt is important to replace on the V8s.

Also, what if anything should I ask or look for regarding the calipers?

Don't think the SR5 has a sun/moonroof.

My uncle who has owned and restored over 80+ cars in his life said 4runner's, and I quote "You want to stay away from 4Runners. The only model of Toyota that has numerous problems"
Was he right Veeky Forums?

No, only one generation was actually bad. The 03-09s like OP wants are based off the Land Cruiser Prado 120. Actually very good cars.

Which generation is to be avoided?

The serpentine belt is a part of the standard maintenance for the vehicle in both the v6 and v8 trims. The SR5 was able to be optioned on my 2003 with leather seats and a sunroof. The only way to tell if the calipers are frozen is if you can hear squealing when braking. It's as much of an issue as wheel bearings failing in terms of frequency. It's the 3rd vehicle behind the Ram and F-150 in terms of vehicles still on the road with over 200k miles. As long as they followed the basic maintenance outlined by Toyota, you'll be fine.

90-95/2nd Gen.

Prone to rust, blown headgaskets, and a complete lack of power. The Japanese versions had better engine options (diesels).

3rd gen 96-02s are getting old and rusty, but they're solid, great trucks. The 4th gen like OP wants is a rebodied Land Cruiser Prado 120 for the American market. Very similar to the GX470 too (which IS a LC Prado 120).

Monitoring this thread- I'm looking at buying a 4th gen as well, but they are expensive..

>"You want to stay away from 4Runners. The only model of Toyota that has numerous problems"

They seem to have a reputation for reliability and quality that says otherwise. They have a cult following and great re-sale value for that reason.

I was looking to get one a couple months ago but decided against it (travel 85-90% working, no point in having a car to sit around).

As for reliability, just take note that you'll see more than a few over 200-250k miles for sale. So unless you're unlucky or don't do maintenance, getting one with 150k should still last plenty long.

If you can afford it, get the sport or limited, v8 and 4x4. It will hold its value much better than a SR5, even if the SR5 has leather.

Under no circumstances buy a gold one, no one wants the gold ones.

Look up to 1,500 miles away from where you live. In central/south Florida they cost 3-4k more than a similar one in Texas or North Carolina.

>If you can afford it, get the sport or limited, v8 and 4x4. It will hold its value much better than a SR5, even if the SR5 has leather.

Why is that exactly? Is it the suspension differences? I know the S5 doesn't have the X-REAS/RAS suspension..

Found a Limited with V8 and 123k mi, for $11500. Think this is a better choice.

was looking at an 07 limited two years ago with way less mileage and he was asking $6500. $9500 is way too much. They are solid vehicles just stay away from xreas and bags.

Any decent alternatives to the 4th gen 4runners? I'm in the southwest and the toyota tax is real because muh dunez

tundra , taco. land cruiser, ekt set era

>all the other toyotas are a good alternative to toyota

well am i suppose to recomend vehciels that dont exists? tundra doesnt have tax.
think smart user

>2002 tundra sr5
>14,800
t-thanks

Nissan Xterra

Mitsubishi Montero

That's really it everything else is soft and weak or unreliable and American.

How shit is the interior on the xterrible? That's the biggest thing I hear about them.

nigger where do you live dubai?
mint 06 trd tundras got for $10k all day in america

Southern California

>search so co craigslist
>06 tunny
>they're all salvage and lol2wd for 10k and up

hhahaha ur shit outta luck son

Kinda want to just say fuck it and buy a newer CRV or RAV4, and build a full time off road toy out of a deathtrap 80s truck.

given those option I'd just go with the 4runner to bh.
at least you can build it

Coming from the one claiming a 4Runner has absolutely anything to do with Highlander/Rav4?

Almost $10000 for something 10 years old with 143k miles.

Let's go over this again.

$10,000 ( Ten Thousand Dollars )

10 ( Ten ) years old

143,000 miles (One Hundred Fourty Three Thousand Fucking Miles)

IF it was 60-80k miles that'd be far more reasonable, it's in the territory of motor/trans/axle potential issues, it's of the age rust could be an issue, electronic issues, no matter how reliable these may or may not be that is far more money than that thing is worth paying.
This is a good comparison when it's newer, therefor worth more than an 07, with less than half the miles, so naturally it's worth even more.

>stay away from xreas and bags.

Why is that? Handling is supposed to be a lot better. You saying the SR5 with regular suspension is a better choice?

>IF it was 60-80k miles that'd be far more reasonable, it's in the territory of motor/trans/axle potential issues, it's of the age rust could be an issue, electronic issues, no matter how reliable these may or may not be that is far more money than that thing is worth paying.

A 2006-2008ish T4R V8 with

You want to go '05 or later since they got the 5-speed auto as opposed to the 4-speed of earlier 4Runners.

Serious question in the event any of you know the answer. Say I wanted a new 4Runner TRD Pro in the cement color and redwood Brown Leather instead of black leather. Can I custom order it that way instead or am I forced to only have black leather?

xreas a closed system to control body roll, each shock is connected to the other via hydraulic lines. one blows you gotta replace the whole system and its all dealer work. conversion involves welding. bags a shit.

OP, just checked out a 06 4runner Sport last weekend. Priced around this but @ 174K. I passed on it due to condition.

I like these 4runners but it seems retarded to spend 10K on a 150K+ mile car. The only other vehicle im looking at is a newer Xterra which can be had with less miles.

If youre set on a 4runner I recommend the 06+ with the facelift and a V6. V8 have to have the timing belt changed while the V6 should last the lifetime of the car. XREAS also sucks on the Sport is it goes out.

I wanted an early 2000s sequioia but I didn't want to pay 10-12k for a 14 year old car with 150k so I got a Nissan Xterra
Used Toyota's are always priced really high

My uncle is going to go buy a 4runner for 3.5k at 225,000mi, no issues.
He's a mechanic, will check to see if they're lying.
I don't have a license, but I do know how to drive, been on a few highways and freeways.
Is it legal for me to drive it in from out of state? Need to go from NV to CA

Also I am this guy.
He said this particular 4runner engine was fine, same as the one in his tacoma.
Did I do well for 3.5k?

BAMP

I found a 2004 4Runner limited, 149,391 miles, $8900.00

Is this a decent price if the condition is good? The prices I'm seeing are all in the 10-15k range

V8 had 5 speed all years for 4th gen

Alright faggots, 2004 4runner v8 limited checking.

Paid 11,000 CAD for mine. 188,000 km or 117k miles for you burgers.

Xreas was shot to shit, so i replaced with bilstein 5100 in front, 4600 bilstein in the rear (only fucking way to replace xreas and keep airbags, 4600 are same length as stock xreas in the rear).

Sucks on gas but I am oilrig bux so idgaf. Beware of 05+ 4runners because of some secondary air shit that fucks up and costs big bucks to fix. V8 is fun and shoots like a rocket when the light turns green. If the vehicle has more than 100k miles assume that xreas is garbage, use this to haggle price or be prepared to swap to bilsteins.

If you dont air bags you can get the metaltech conversion kit and go to conventional coils.

>v8
gud choice.
The headers on the 2uz-fe are known for cracking keep an eye out.