Advice for buying a large pickup truck

So, long story short, I want a big truck for no other reason than to have a big truck. I dont mind if you want to lecture me on why not, so go a head if you have a good enough point. What im looking for in order is: Low price, High torque/horsepower(diesel maybe?), reliability, good looks

Any ideas please share them, thanks!

I like the look of pic related, so something like that?

Buy a 6.0 superduty.

There you go op this one is perfect for your needs.

They are all about the same size.

If you want lifted, go with one using torsion bars, as they are easy as dick to lift.
And get some aggressive 35s..

Ok, from a price/reliability standpoint, I would get an Older GMC/Chevy Sierra/Silverado 2500 with the 6.5 Turbodiesel. It was a good engine in it's original form, but it had a few poor technologies that need to be rectified to make it a reliable daily driver. That being done they'll chug along forever. Those issues being:
1. The PMD. It was a computer module that controlled the injectors. Because it was vulnerable to heat soak, it would often overheat and cause the vehicle to run in limp mode, which could cause various other problems. There's a simple fix, you buy a relocation kit and attach a small heat sink to it. Costs about 50 bucks and only takes a couple hours, one of the easiest modifications i've ever done on a truck.

2. The vacuum pump
The vacuum pump was only put on these vehicles to run the air conditioner. That's because diesels don't naturally create vacuum, and GM was too lazy to come up with an AC unit that didn't run off vacuum, so they literally just put a vacuum pump on. You can literally just take it off, throw it in the garbage, and run a serpentine belt from a 91-93 6.5. If you still want AC you can buy an aftermarket unit.

3. The turbo
The turbo was an early type of ball-bearing turbo. There's really no problem with it, but it doesn't make much boost and is prone to failure if you're keeping your truck high in the RPM's all the time. It's recommended to replace it if you're looking to make power.

4. Installing an intercooler.
The truck came without an intercooler. Not a totally necessary upgrade, but will provide you with an increase in both power and reliability, especially when paired with a turbo upgrade.

If you do those four things (which might cost you $2500 if you don't do any of the work yourself, the hardest project by far is going to be installing the turbo and lines for the intercooler) You will have a reliable truck with a good amount of power and torque.

I recommend a ford f150 if you like sucking dick or a chevy silverado if you prefer to take it in the ass.

Get a nissan titan or toyota tundra if you don't want to waste your money

2/2
If you are more worried about performance than price, you can get a first or second gen 12 valve/18 valve Cummins. These are expensive trucks. An old one with a fucked body that runs like shit is probably still gonna cost 5 or 6k. That's the Cummins tax. However, depending on how fast you want to spend, there's few diesels that can put down power like a Cummins I6. Turbo upgrade, big injectors, maybe a nitrous kit if you're going crazy, and you can easily make 300+ RWHP and 1000+ Torque. Eventually the weak point is gonna be rods/pistons and you'll need to swap those out if you want to go over 350-400 RWHP but at that point you should just buy a new truck, a 6.7 Powerstroke or 6.6 Duramax can put out fucktons of power, especially with emissions deletes, but you're looking at spending AT THE LEAST 30k for a truck in okay condition with high miles.

whats your idea of low price? because anything within the last decade that is a heavyduty will be starting around 20k for and 07 diesel and go up

>IFS
>EVER

Easy as dick to lift up to about 3"
After that and they're an expensive pain in the ass.
Anything over 1.5" starts to affect ride quality.
Over 2.5" and you can say goodbye to ride quality, CV axles, ball joints, and TREs.

OP here

Id definately like to go with the Chevy, since my family is Chevrolet/Pontiac people. What year do you mean by "older"? is there a specific year to avoid or are they all basicaly the same?

Im leaning more towards price than power. Im less set on getting a truck, more of just figuring out if its worthwhile and whatnot. Only ever owned/drove cars before so i want something diferent

Im thinking not much over 15k? Another plan of mine is to get a pre 1975 pickup and drop an LS in it and swap out front and rear susp with a 2nd gen trans am we have in the back, and that project would cost around that much if i am correct.

OP again

responded to the wrong posts because im an idiot.

should be this order
1: 2: 3: gues this is what happens when you work at 3 am all week :/

having a diesel as a daily driver is totally fucking retarded btw

>like to go with the Chevy, since my family is Chevrolet/Pontiac people

By how the guy is saying it, it looks like all those trucks are the same underneath, so if im buying the badge, may as well buy one that fits in on our driveway

So pretty much any year equipped with the 6.5. They first couple years don't have the vacuum pump but being the first model years they are gonna have other quirks that were worked out later. The motor was used from 1982 up to 2000. I have owned a 94 and a 97 and they were both good trucks, and on both of them the engine was still serviceable when I sold them and near 200k. Admittedly at that point they were using oil and could have used an engine out rebuild, but that's gonna be true with any truck. The chassis on those things is a great, simple design. As long as it doesn't rust I'm sure the chassis would go nearly forever. My only complaint would be gas mileage, there were a few times when I got 16-18mpg over long distances but usually it was More like 12-15mpg. One thing that impressed me on my second truck where I had all the upgrades I mentioned done (stock size turbo, stock injectors just upgraded to an off the shelf Garrett model) was when I was towing a 3800lb car through California and went over the pass by Mt. Shasta, was sitting at 22-2500RPM the whole way up for probably 40 minutes and it never hiccuped or overheated. Those engines were definitely a work horse.

Also forgot to mention. Don't lift it, you're just gonna chew up your front suspension. I think you can fit 31.5's on a stock 2500/3500 without a lift and without rubbing, but don't quote me on that. I had 275's on my second one (which was a 3500) and they fit fine.

Are you CCLB dually guy with the LEDs?

>recommending a gutless GM diesel when the Cummins 5.9 and Navistar 7.3 exist

Cool story

Still shit engines, comparatively

Great marine engines. The truck applications suffered from cooling issues and a resulting lack of effort by GM to get more power out of them. 94+ models had the horribly designed PMD mounted on the electronic injection pump.

Fix the cooling issues and get rid of the restrictive factory exhaust and you can push quite a bit more power from them. Competing with a stock LB7 Duramax is easy.
Go with mechanical injection and you don't have to worry about the PMD issues.

Are you towing or hauling heavy stuff? If not, I think gas is good enough for any truck. I really like the 2008-2016 with the V8's personally.

perfect platform for your mobile cuck shed

This. I already mentioned the PMD but forgot to mention the injection pump. I've never done the mechanical swap so I didn't want to talk about things I don't have experience with.

No, I have no idea who that is. I'm just a simple redneck who made a living transporting and flipping cars in partnership with a buddy who owned a shop, back when there were a lot more 6.5's on the road.

I mentioned the Cummins. First gen 7.3's are a joke efficiency wise and second gen 7.3's are gonna be out of OP's price range. I'm just talking about what I know.

>memegenerator

google image dipshit, I'm not that dedicated

why? they get get great mileage compared to gas