Hey there, Veeky Forums

Hey there, Veeky Forums
Just stopped by for your opinion.

I'm about to get stationed in Japan, Navy will let me bring back one car free of charge. My buddy said to get something called a Nissan GT-R32. What would you get if you could pick a Japanese import?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/PacificCoastAuto/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=NZ3cJCXAY3w
youtube.com/watch?v=aIbKcagaJSk
youtube.com/watch?v=kSMlYezv-TM
youtube.com/watch?v=198GPHRuMe0
importavehicle.info/2011/03/this-is-reason-nissan-skyline-is.html
jalopnik.com/here-are-the-four-legal-ways-to-import-a-car-to-the-uni-1682067632
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pic related, pretty sure it's what he was talking about.

Toyota Century v12

Are you serious? If so cool do it, the skyline is an amazing car.

This thing, right? Those mirrors really stick out, and it looks roomy. Thanks for the suggestion.

Are you looking for any type of car in particular or just something cool that you can't find in the states?

brb military

Bring back a Mustang

Thanks for input!

Something cool I guess. I just learned manual and it's pretty fun, so preferably manual. I figured if I don't like the car I can always sell it.

I don't know much about cars, but I'm pretty sure that's American. Are you dishing out Veeky Forums memes? I don't know your board culture.

>Not getting a R32

ISHYGDDT

An R32 skyline is a pretty good bet then. Theres a handful of different trims you can look into that offer different engines and drivetrain layouts, and they're one of the more popular imports so parts aren't terribly difficult to find if you bring it back to the U.S.

Thanks man, is sounds like this is the one to get. I'll do some research and find out what those options are.

I appreciate all the feedback! I'm monitoring thread until it dies.

You seem young so let me crush your dreams (if you're going to Yokosuka)
>you have to be at least an E5 to own a car

first of all its a Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R

And if you don't know anything about cars why do you want one? There are so many cooler/fun cars for cheaper that you can get.

watch Pacific Coast Auto auction walkaround videos (or any of their other vids)

youtube.com/user/PacificCoastAuto/videos

youtube.com/watch?v=NZ3cJCXAY3w
youtube.com/watch?v=aIbKcagaJSk
youtube.com/watch?v=kSMlYezv-TM
youtube.com/watch?v=198GPHRuMe0

when you see/hear about a car you might be interested in, do the research.

R32 GTR is a great car but probably not for someone who just learned how to drive manual.

Another rule you must know is that the car HAS to be over 25 years old to the month. keep that in mind.

RX-7 FD if you're going to be there for a couple years. They will be legal to import soon.

Ayyy, one of my boys! Yes, you're absolutely correct, I am going to Yoko. I appreciate the heads up! I lucked out and got a rate with pushbutton PO, so E-5 is just an exam away. Hopefully I get it before too long.
>tfw missed last cycle by 7.15 points

Well, I figure someone else might appreciate what it is better than I will, so I might be able to pocket some capital gain. Thanks for the tips! I'll pop a peek at those videos this weekend.

This is nice! I'll research up on it right now. Thanks!

I'm not one of your boys

I've just spent the last three years in Japan with the AF.

I know everyone is telling you to get an R32, but my advice would be to bring back home an R34 and flip it, they go for ridiculous prices in the US.

what a fucking abomination that rx7 is, christ
do people seriously think that looks ok?

plebs ITT, superior GT4

>bring back home an R34
Yeah how's he gonna do that bud?

Read the OP guy.

>Well, I figure someone else might appreciate what it is better than I will, so I might be able to pocket some capital gain

First of all R32 GT-R's are already flooding the market since they earlier models are legal in US. People asking ridiculous prices like $30k

but end up selling for around $18k. You really wont make that much of a profit unless you happen to be lucky/you know what you are doing.

source: My buddy Tommy owns one.

only the ST165 and ST185 are legal to import at the moment.

that one you posted (ST205) will be legal in a few years

so you saying it's better to research yourself and import rather than buying already imported/owned?

Just because they let you bring back a car of your choice doesn't mean that bitch isn't going to get crushed.

>Skyline R34
>Production January 1999 – 2002
>Will start being legal in 2024

unless OP plans on being in japan for 7 or 8 years he ain't bringing one back.

what part of the car has to be at least 25 years old to import and properly register it here in America don't you get?

Fucking idiots.

How about sticking it in storage til it becomes legal, then being the first one on the market to register and sell and make good meme bucks?

see Guess you're the fucking idiot.
Even tho you can't register it in the burger states of America that doesn't mean it doesn't have any value at all, you can still track it etc. and you can just maintain it til it is TIME TO CASH IN.

You have the world wide web at your fingertips. it doesnt take more than 5 seconds to find out how to do this as there have been hundreds and thousands of people who have asked the same exact question you are asking.

You're going to have to go thru an importer no matter what as they know how to fill out all the paperwork and shit.

assuming you are OP, you shouldn't buy an R32 GTR.

you have no idea what you are talking about. Sounds like you are talking out your ass.

The only way your car would get crushed is if you tried to pull the shit motorex did.

that is stupid illegal see below.

WEW LAD YOU ARE DUMB AS SHIT

If you import a car for show and display IT CANNOT be registered legally at all, stick to playing forza faggot.

Are Americans so cucked that these cars are illegal to own, even if they just sit in storage somewhere?
Is the R34 contraband?
Someone please tell me this is true, I would laugh my dick off.

>If you import a car for show and display IT CANNOT be registered legally at all, stick to playing forza faggot.
but you can tow it to tracks or private roads right?

nah, you can thank Mercedes Benz of North America for fucking us over.

importavehicle.info/2011/03/this-is-reason-nissan-skyline-is.html

Im not 100% sure but I think that is fair game.

It might say somewhere here

jalopnik.com/here-are-the-four-legal-ways-to-import-a-car-to-the-uni-1682067632

Don't expect tripfags to have reading comprehension nor reasoning ability.

Well that's what I fucking suggested didn't I you stupid cunt?

>How about sticking it in storage til it becomes legal, then being the first one on the market to register and sell and make good meme bucks?

>act all high and mighty, like you know ins and outs of import regulations
>attack anons in attempt to boost ego
>when asked question, "i dont know go to jalponik"
lmao could tripfags be any more cancerous

sorry, meant to quote this loser

Then you're one of my flyboys!

I got at least 3 years there, that may not be an issue. Thanks fellas, researching these now.

>Well that's what I fucking suggested didn't I you stupid cunt?

Says the stupid cunt himself, You said and I quote

"Even tho you can't register it in the burger states of America that doesn't mean it doesn't have any value at all, you can still track it etc. and you can just maintain it til it is TIME TO CASH IN."

you'd get fucked so hard by the fed's once they find out..

wash paul walkers cum off your face.

>doesnt want to read
>would rather shitpost

mkay then clearly this is going nowhere. Maybe you aren't a forza player.

Go back to trolling whatever shitty automotive facebook group you are on

If the Navy said "join the navy and get a skyline i would of joined in a heartbeat

>doesnt want to read
I dont have to because I already know the rules. Im not some tripfaggot loser talking shit and then backpedaling like a little bitch when they cant answer a question.

Fuck off back to jalpnik cock sucker

Holy fuck, do you literally think the R34 is made out of heroin as far as US officials are concerned?
Where do you fact check? Jalopnik articles? OH WAIT, THAT'S WHAT YOU QUOTED JUST NOW INSTEAD OF POINTING TO FACTS.

All cars that get crushed by customs get crushed because they swap the vin or try some other form of fraud to try and make it seem legal.

Man, I have a feeling you're just here because on any other car discussion forum you'd get banned for retardation and buttmad.

you clearly don't know the rules. I don't even think you're from America. (if you are thats even more embarrassing)

you're some salty user that got told wrong and can't even admit it. sad!

OP here, I kind of like the sportiness and attitude of the RX-7 FD mentioned by this kind user. I keep seeing weird changes to the name, like Mazda FD3S RX7. Is this the same thing as Mazda RX7?

I think it's down to this and the R32. There seems to be a lot of grey area around the R34, I might get that if I reenlist and get put back out in Japan, but it seems like a lot of trouble for a car right now.

For fucks sake, bring back a TA22 with a 2TG or a TE27. Or a KGPC110 or a Hako. Stop bringing back these fucking meme cars.

I meant KPGC110. Sorry. Still...

>that specific jalopnik article doesn't contain facts
>importing illegal cars is perfectly fine and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) won't snatch your car regardless if its an R34 or any other illegal car and crush it and then fine you the maximum penalty

Vin swapping isnt even a thing for Skylines, it is a problem with Land Rover Defenders tho.

My Uncle works for ICE and has told me about how he's crushed multiple illegal cars including Skyline's

>Japanese VIN's
What did he mean by this?

>you clearly don't know the rules
Yeah okay, whatever you say

>Im not 100% sure
>It might say somewhere here
>jalponik

L
M
A
O

>tri[pfag under the delusion every user is the same person
sorry to shatter the narrative, cuck

>calling celica a ta22
>a te27 (lol)
>muh hakosuka
meme cars for those who graduated from facebook jdm group to speedhunters

>importing illegal cars is perfectly fine
Yes. See the florida tripfag who owned an r33 and now owns a jzx100

I'm the guy who originally suggested the R34, and yeah, might be a big deal for you in that case, I'm an European living in Canada.
Keep in mind that you're best off selling any Jap cars you bring back home, insurance is about 40% higher on left hand drive vehicles.

The FD RX-7 is a good choice though, it's a fun car, sporty, though it does require a fair bit of studying and you really have to be into it, I recommend watching a few videos on Wankel engines and the like to see if it curries your favour.
It's also almost a guarantee it'll go up in value, since a lot of people mess with theirs, and stock examples, especially of the twin turbo engined FD RX-7 are really interesting for this reason, and they ARE cult classic cars.

As for people calling it the FD, the FD means the third generation of the RX7.
SA/FB 79-85 RX-7
FC 86-91 RX-7
FD 92-01 RX-7

I'll gladly answer any question you have about these cars.
For now: check out Engineering Explained on Youtube, he has videos on Rotary (also called Wankel) engines that should be really informative.

My dad works for Nintendo and told me the Gamecube 2 is gonna hook up to your brain and do VR that way.
You don't understand that the problem is fraud. This is all hypothetical at this point anyways, you really are childish, someone makes a suggestion and explains his reasoning and the first thing you say is YOU FUCKING IDIOT etc. etc.

Using the word "cuck"

ah yes. so intellectually stimulating.

Yeah I know of that user.you can pretty much import and register anything in that state if you know a few people and have the cash for it. Still illegal as fuck and if he were to sell it to someone out of state they would be fucked.

I'm shocked no on has called you out on claiming you know tommy. im not saying i don't believe you but i thought more people here would watch rodnocks or tommys videos.

The R33 is legal though, a company put it thru crash testing etc. and got it cert'd

>Nissan GT-R32.
Get one thats stock or it will be assfucked unless its had everything done.

Not just a Celica. Not a front wheel drive POS. A TA22.

TE27 another good 2TG platform.

These are cheaper. Nicer. Older than 25 years. Legal imports. And they don't attract the annoying JDM crowd.

Your dad works at nintendo? neat. How long has he been a janitor there?

The fact that you even suggested Engineering Explained goes to show how much of a idiot you are.

I do know Tommy. He literally picked up my miata for me back in October. Pic related.

Ive known him for a few years. Not that unbelievable we both live in CT and are into cars.

Also, you're going to have to hunt real hard. Get away from the bases to shop for a Skyline. You will find no shortage of ones with different colored bumpers because "somebody backed into them."

Oh shit! You totally roasted me with that insult towards my father!

>You did x, this makes you an idiot for a reason I don't need to explain to you.
Alright, you aren't very helpful nor on-topic here buddy, let me help you out with post quality:
First off, if you think someone suggests something that isn't helpful, maybe you should suggest an improvement, and reason with them as to why their argument is unsound.
If your argument is simply better, you should be able to come out on top regardless.

I actually had a pal that did the navy route (now is sysadmin making 100k thru navy connections at dod 4 years after the job fyi).
Apparently you can't go off-base unless you have a buddy with you, so make friends who are into cars quick.

>Still illegal as fuck
100% legal in that state. Stay clueless and stick to playing forza.

>A TA22
Could have just said first gen celica
No Ra20? no Ra21? Just ta22?

>And they don't attract the annoying JDM crowd
they attract the WORST of the jdm crowd
the kind of losers who put shitty retro replicas on a ke70, hang a tsurikawa off the back and sticker bomb quarter panels

That's not true for most bases. I just left Sasebo last year. That was never a policy there.

Ah okay, I don't know his base.
Just that he was stationed in Okinawa.

Just a TA22 because it has a 2TG. The 2TG was never made in the US and it was the strongest engine available from Toyota.

So, no. Not an RA20 or RA21. Just the T-series. The others are just a novelty for the right hand drive.

NOPE still illegal Federally you dumb fuck.

The government is wise to that form of automotive smuggling and will still crush your car if they find out.

Stick to watching Anime you weeb.

Stick to being angry and bragging on an anonymous imageboard to boost your ego instead of enjoying and driving cars you broken rubber product.

i was not saying that i don't believe you i was just saying im shocked no one said anything, i think it pretty cool that you know him he seems pretty chill and i love his videos

Oki was the worst. Different than the rest. Politics are much stronger there. Any crime by US citizens makes front page news there and spikes protests.

Yeah, I heard about a lot of army dudes there tend to assault and rape locals, like, it's an actual epidemic.

the only angry one here is you my friend. Take care love xoxo

yeah i know, I was just stating I do know him but most people don't care tbqh.

He's a very cool dude. He treats his friends well

plus he's only got around what 30k subs and its mostly from Rudnick's channel

>look at how not angry I am, see this calm post after angrily insulting people to show how I am in control.
>by the way, I'm really cool and have really cool friends, my life is pretty interesting!

combine those two with the fact that you're always butthurt and namefagging and we have someone who is clamouring for attention and recognition on an anonymous imageboard.
Broken rubber, momma didn't pay enough attention to you so you rebel :^)

@16681140

you're doing way too much right now famo. Im done arguing with you. If you want to continue tomorrow at 5pm EST, I'm down.

i keep forgetting that they are not haggard garage popular. he seems like a great guy, to be honest im a little jealous of rudinck for haveing a friend like tommy

cool

seems like in CT anyone who is into cars ends up overlapping at some point

Haggard Garage is truly cancer especially the swarthy looking one, Orion (Sp?) lol. But I am happy for them. Because the part of Connecticut they are from is pretty scummy. Most people from there usually become heroin junkies. So that fact that they "ruin" cars and film it for a living is pretty damn sweet.

yup although I dont know or have met any of the haggard garage dudes or rudnick or Adam Lz as he is from CT as well.

I've seen Nick Murray on I-95 tho.

well, when you get a bunch of assholes from poverty stricken areas together, sometimes they tend to do bad shit.

not saying all people in the military are bad, but a lot of them come from shitty backgrounds and areas and are products of their environments.

Bro, thank you for taking the time to write this well constructed and thought-out response. I'm probably going to side with the RX7. Engineering Explained helped me understand manual transmission while I was learning to drive stick, I'm watching this one on motors now.

Thanks to all, have a good night. I'll read new replies in the morning.

Yeah, never said it's their fault, it's just kinda shitty.
The wrong thing here is the whole US feeling like the world police, still exerting control over JP (and never apologizing for the h-bombing of citizens.)

Late to the thread, but if you want something fucky why not get an AZ1?

No problem man, if there's anything else you wanna talk about send an email to [email protected] with some contact info, fb or something like that.

i'm not a fan of their videos myself but i like the thought of having a bunch of friends to wrench on their cars with

a clean ass ae86, a r32 or my favorite get some special edition rx7 we dont have here. The R32 is the popular one to bring back.

This

It reminds them of their Wonkey brain

yeah