What's the max one should spend on a used car

What's the max one should spend on a used car.

Like what amount is considered stupid to spend on a used car.?

Comes down to your budget you nonce.

>implying we're all in the same financial situation

I just spent 5k on a used WRX. This was worth it despite needing some new body panels and a bit of mechanical work.

You can get a used Porsche 911 Carerra 4S for 60k. You can get a used Corolla for 10k.

There's not a "too much" to spend here - Just a matter of what you're willing to pay for the kind of vehicle you want.

That depends on what car, and how used. New cars are a meme, I always buy used. Recently got a new beater, 2011 Escape with 80k on the clock. Fully optioned. My mechanic gave it a clean bill of health. $5k to purchase, $1k to my mechanic for brakes, sway bar links, and a couple other things. On that car I would probably have been willing to spend 8 or 9k. Blue book value was around 12k IIRC. It definitely would have been stupid to spend $30k on it (roughly MSRP). $30k is reasonable for a fairly new CPO luxury sedan like an E class or a 5 series. $30k is a great deal on a gently used Ferrari. Absolute steal on a gently used Bugatti. It's all relative.

depends on the car itself and your financial constraints. Everyone has a different financial situation.

well if i've got 5B in the bank I can realistically spend as much as I fucking want on a car. if i've got 2k, clearly 2k is the max i should spend.
anyone that takes out a loan for a car is a fuckwit.

>anyone that takes out a loan for a car is a fuckwit.

Oh look, another retard who doesn't understand leverage.

0.9% APR over 5 years is free money. Even if you have the capital, there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking the top FICO bracket rate on a car loan and just putting down 20%. Put the rest in the market and you'll likely end up with more money than you would have paying in cash.

Taking out a loan will always cost more than saving, because if it didn't lending wouldn't be profitable.

no.

yes.

50 million dollars.
for a car that isn;t even 1 off, i mean there are still 30+- gto's rolling around, that's bullshit.

maybe

Bought an E36 sedan 1993 for $1800.
Replaced all shocks, wheels, got a propper alignement, redone the brakes, replaced the headgasket, all the fluids.
basically, i paid 1800 for a pos and ivested 2000 to keep the pos on the road safely.

I paid 3800 for a pos with no airbags or luxury.
It's a fun car, but a huge financial mistake.

Tl;dr Buy a swift or a 'rolla

The "market" doesn't always go up.

I bought an e46 and dumped $5k into it fixing little things, thinking I will keep it for a long time. I could never get used to the driving position; there was no head room with the seat all the way down, the steering wheel pointed out the side window, and the dual mass flywheel was annoying in traffic. Very uncomfortable. Ended up selling it a year later for $1000 less than purchased. Used BMW. Never again.

Can you believe some cuck actually spent 40 million on this used car? He could have totally got a civic for 3k that does the same thing and doesn't have
>Carbs

I switched to a Mercedes and lol at BMW fanboys.

But Im saving up for a nice jap car, im passed the RWD meme and want reliability now.

Bought an NA hardtop 1991 for $900.
Replaced all the shocks, wheels, got a propper alignement, rollbar, all the fluids.
basically, i paid 900 for a pos and ivested $1000 to keep the pos on the road safely.

I paid 1800 for a pos with one airbag or luxury.

Tl:dr Buy a swift or 'rolla

You shouldn't spend more than you can afford, pal.

Bought an MR2 1991 for $3800
Replaced all the shocks, wheels, got a propper alignement, spark plugs, all the fluids.
basically, i paid 3800 for a pos and ivested $1300 to keep the pos on the road safely.

I paid 5100 for a pos with no airbags or luxury.

Tl:dr Buy a swift or 'rolla

We can agree that both cars have awesome headlights

You're literally retarded. If you have good credit, then a car loan APR should be far under your RoR for investing the rest of the money.

Yeah Dude all those Jew bankers who offer auto loans are retarded. They could just be buying shares of Amazon like you with that money.

>what is inflation

it really all comes down to wrenching aptitude and your budget
>if you only have $1k you can still get a car
>also look at the fucking sticky, all those cars are $5k or under

>if ive got 2k, clearly 2k is the max I should spend

And then what you have $0? Thats fucking retarded