[ D a i l y B i k e T h r e a d ] - /dbt/

[ D a i l y B i k e T h r e a d ] - /dbt/

Maintenance Throttle / Deprogramming yourself of Keith Code's nonsense edition.

>Motorcycle Questions & Answers
>Motorcycle Routes & Meetups
>Motorcycle Gear & Accessories
>Motorcycle Adventures & Blog Posts
>Motorcycle Pictures & Fun Webm

/dbt/ map: Meet and compare willy size
>google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=z7CKLSFiJH_M.kMZoQpBOKipI

Motorcycle Ergonomics Simulator
>cycle-ergo.com/

Noob? Git gud:

wubbems with sounds:
Previously on /dbt/

Other urls found in this thread:

motomatters.com/analysis/2017/02/12/crunching_the_numbers_what_the_sepang.html
bikeexif.com/hub-center-steering-motorcycle
youtu.be/-ngusODMCsY?t=65
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You should replace it every time but I can't imagine using it twice would be bad. Still seems like a hassle.
Sounds like you're stuck to me m8. Get a KTM.

SV user pls.

what is wrong with keith code's advice?

Vinales used only fresh tires to make those times. Not race simulations.
At least that's what Rossi said the second day of tests.

I'm going to buy a new CB500F and there's nothing you can do about it poor peasants.

We can't but you could, starting from not being a fucking dumb frogposter.

Not just slow and boring, but also costly!

motomatters.com/analysis/2017/02/12/crunching_the_numbers_what_the_sepang.html

vinales had the second best race pace (behind marquez) at sepang too, so it only being the 2nd day of the phillip island test makes no sense.

He has very strong race pace in the bag, yeah he set the headline laps on flyers but they mostly do.

>but they mostly do.
Not Rossi, it was in the news you posted. Also Vinales probably got a ready package while they left all the real testing to Rossi.

rossi didn't set any headline times.

My point is even if you're going to say, nah vinales only set his really REALLY fast laps on flyers it doesn't really matter because his race pace is excellent too.

This year is gonna be marquez vs maverick.

Nah it'll be Rossi v Marquez like the past years. Vinales is great but not his first year on his Yamaha.

Lorenzo is just out of the equation now.

Nothing, it's good advice

Favourite motovlogger?
Motovlogger you hate?

That dude that has the street legal H2R and CROSSTRAINING.
YammieNoob is the definition of cancer.

I don't watch motovloggers though.

I really like the look of classic sports bikes from the 90s.

>Favorite
None
>Hate
Almost all of them except Baron von grumble

some of it is good advice, a lot of it is just stuff that's gonna throw you further off the actual scent, like him talking about needing to have 60% of your weight on the back tyre, getting all of your braking done before entering a corner, his thing about "once the throttle is opened it is smoothly rolled on" is the bane of track instructors nightmares from how many problems it causes (hence the OP webm showing maintenance throttle, a period inbetween accelerating and braking where the throttle is opened to stop deceleration but the bike is not acceleration as all your available grip is being used to turn the bike ).

>This year is gonna be marquez vs maverick
Lmao
Yeah, tell us more about how much you love spanish cock please.

>the bike is not acceleration

I hate Snowcat, he's a huge disrespectful faggot with double standards.
Don't really like anyone.

What's that, a biker mice?

>this

Snowcat is a faggot. DoItWithDan is okay.

I don't really need to convince you now.

I just want you to remember this post and have this image of a silver mario mannequin involuntarily pop into your head when it comes true.

>YammieNoob
is he still giving up on riding? Last I saw he crashed once on some gravel and wanted to stop.

That, coming from the retard that said it's his rule of thumb to double the suggested speeds on corners and was only riding for 2 years.

>Aprilia engine
>Hub steering
>Machined all by one dude
pretty impressive tbqhwy famalam

bikeexif.com/hub-center-steering-motorcycle

He bought an fz09 after he crashed the Daytona, now he wants to sell the FZ also because apparently he's too good for the bike lmao

No Yammie just bought another Daytona so I doubt he is giving up. Maybe this time he won't go head butting boulders

>man who had never gotten his knee down ever giving advice saying you can't get your knee down without it being way 2 fast and unsafe
>eats shit on literally a 30 degree angle bend

youtu.be/-ngusODMCsY?t=65

Always the shittest riders who are always so sure of what everyone else can and can't do no?

Expected nothing less from a 20-something balding manlet

CBR250R or Memeja250R?
>will be used daily from home to work and vice versa
>shitty traffic, will have to weave through most of the time
>I'm poor so I want one with the best mileage

Older model ninja

hayabusa

Zx14r turbo, busa turbo, or a ninja h2. Nothing else is worth your time

Why is that? I noticed that the Ninja 250SL is so cheap, just a bit over the CBR250R meanwhile a 2014 Ninja 250 costs around 30% more than the SL.
I think I would much rather go for a Stevens 620. Thoughts?

Nah but for real just get which ever is cheaper and you like enough to ride daily. It's up to you, baby

Two cylinders are better then one.

Also I mean older than that. Get a pre 2007 one. The after market is huge, there a million of them out there for parts and they're cheap at shit

Oh right, see how much of an idiot I am at bikes - I have a lot of issues with old bikes, primarily I'm new to the whole scene, I do not know anyone reliable enough to ask, and of course I don't know shit about maintenance.
Hmm, 250SL it is then, despite not being cheaper, always loved how Ninjas looked, all reviews pretty much say the same thing about the CBR either way. I'll come back in a year lads.

A ten year old ninja is not that old, and the older one is a little bit more powerful than the new one which helps because neither makes much power.

Plus they're dirt simple, you'll be fine with either

>filtering
>get stuck behind a big wide white van

I just stayed behind it like a cuck instead of going past it.

Probably could have made it but was scared my mirrors would hit his

I am such a cuck.

cuck cuck cukck uckc cuckc cickkcuckuccuick cjccukcukcuckcuckuckcuckcuck

Is Muc off Endurance chain lube the best?

>seems to last forever
>rain doesnt do anything to it
>massive can of the stuff

Guess who's riding a bicycle for the next ten weeks? Apparently if you get three fines in a year it doesn't expire and it's okay for them to take however long they want (in my case 9 months) until they announce the temp ban. At least my fat ass gets some much overdue exercise.

Just pass on the right.

see

Depends what bike it's for.

>off-road
Spray on chain lube

>road
Chain wax

Judging by this shitty photoshop job, Should I paint my bash plate + footpegs black?

>bike doesn't indicate right
>sometimes doesn't indicate left
>figure it's the switch
>get home early
>shit weather, dad still at work
>get to work anyway
>unscrew switch assembly screws
>no room to seperate halves
>remove bar end, slip grip halfway off handlebar
>choke cable in the way, have to remove it
>which means removing the tank
>remove tank
>remove choke cable
>clean indicator switch contacts
>spray some WD 40 on
>put everything back together
>works flawlessly
Aww yiss. First time I fixed something on the bike all on my own without dad's aid (ignoring shit like removing plastics and luggage rack). I could do with a decent set of socket wrenches though.

>check indicators before putting everything back together
>switch assembly still seperated
>works
>grab assembly
>HOOOOOONK
>almost die of a heart attack
And this is why you switch the ignition off when you're done.

At least I have a bike. :^)

Glad you figured it out, I remember you asking about it. And lol@honk

You could paint footpegs but bash plate looks kinda shit in black, i'd leave it

No

Same answer as last time, I think it looks good in black

thats what I always do, I drive on the left here.

Absolutely better in black, will look much better irl.

Any brits here?
I'm starting to consider getting a bike (probably won't go through with it for a few more years) and I'm looking at the different licences and I'm not sure how to interpret the wording for the A2 Category.
What does it mean by "bike mustn’t be derived from vehicle more than twice its power"

Also, this might sound a bit silly, but would getting an A2 licence mean I can drive vehicles that come under the AM and A1 categories?

It means that restricting a 96+ hp bike to 48 will not make it A2 legal. So you can't get a busa, restrict it and ride as a total noob.
Yes, A2 includes AM and A1.

>bike mustn't be derived from vehicle more than twice it's power
If the bike originally had over 70kw you can't ride it, basically. If it had 70kw you could get it restricted.

You can ride anything from the lower tiers.

oh my god what

Then pass on the right. Duh.

Cant choose another bike uprgrading from gs500?
SV1000
GSX600R
ZX6R
R6
CBR600 F4
ZX6R

Year 2001-2004. Should be with fuel incection, What bike is best bike, main consurne is maintance and handling. I will be keeping the gs500.

I've run 15/44 and 13/44 on mine. 15/44 is just about perfect for dual sporting IMO but you'll have to work it a lot harder on the really slow trails. 13/44 is great for the really tight trails but annoying for road riding because pretty much anything above 45mph gets quite revvy.

I wouldn't mind riding an f4i. The community that owns them has nothing but good things to say

IIRC not all those bikes were fuel injected for all of those years. I think the GSXR600, R6 and ZX6R got EFI in 03. Also make sure you look for the F4i (2001+), not the normal F4 which is carbed.

All the japanese 600 supersports are pretty comparable in quality and performance. Not sure about the SV1000. They're all pretty low maintenance too. The F4i seems to be the most popular bike from that generation and has tons of aftermarket. What I did when looking to buy a supersport was just search through craigslist for any and all of them and just pick up whichever I was able to find a good deal on first.

>nothing but good things to say
They're not very comfortable.

But why? The GS500 is objectively the best beginner bike.
> mileage
It's a mid-sized 4stroke twin cylinder bike, so it drinks less than 6 liters per 100 km.
> handling
It handles nothing like a supersport, spoiling you for when you get something else. But it can also corner much better than something like a cruiser, and actually uses its entire rear tire unlike a Ninja 250.
> brakes
They are complete shit and their only redeeming feature is that they're disc brakes. This is good because the longer braking distance forces new riders to plan ahead and start braking early. No ABS means they learn to brake properly I'd they don't want to get shrekt.
> power
It sits right at the power limit for A2 bikes which is great for euros. It's torquey enough to be faster off the line than most cars you'll encounter in the city. But it also feels relatively gutless so a) it's forgiving of mistakes and b) you can ride it at the limit without putting yourself into too much danger. It reaches up to 180 km/h which is fast enough for highway riding.
> carbs
It being carbed means that if you run into problems, you can learn to fix them yourself instead of heading to the mechanic every time.
> seating position
Upright, slightly forward means it's a neutral riding position so you can figure out what you want afterwards. The seat is relatively uncomfortable making literally every other bike after it will feel like heaven on your ass.
> price and availability
Parts and the bikes themselves are cheap and plentiful. If you crash and fuck up one of your fairings it's 40 euros to replace it with original parts. Engine needs little maintenance. Beginner riders are typically not financially independent, so this is a big plus for them.
> suspension
It's a budget suspension factoring into the overall low cost of getting a GS 500. If you want better suspension it's easy to swap. Therefore it gives beginners an opportunity to learn working on suspension while keeping the cost manageable.

But the DR-Z400S is objectively the best bike for any level rider.

Except beginners.

Interesting, how's the handling? I know they're reliable as shit, but didn't assume that considering the mileage you see on them as well as the fact that they're not supersport or rr

Would a Grom be a good first bike?

GS500 is slow as fuck. Thats why. Its good in the city, but not so good on the country and highways.

If you don't have displacement restrictions, it's not a good first bike.

See You are on /dbt/, ergo you are either a nobike or a beginner. In any case, the GS500 is the best choice.

Thanks lads!
So thats 2 Yes an 2 No.
Maybe I'll do as said and paint the footpegs first to see how it looks.
I will think it and probably paint it next weekend.

no

gsx-r750

this is true, even if you have a bike, you're actually a nobike according to /dbt/

Handles well IMO but I haven't ridden other sport bikes to compare it to so I can't say much.
>not supersport
It really is/was a supersport tho. It's competitive with all the other supersports of its time, just without as many Rs in its name.

id go for the 600s ive ridden and SV1000 and it was great, however it was fully modded. the stock suspension on SVs kinda suck.
But that 1000cc vtwin is so nice.
you cant really go wrong with either of those bikes.
test ride them and find the one you like the most/get a better deal

Neat. Was it body position or audiences that made it not comfy?

>Audiences
Suspension. My phone sucks

So /dbt/ my brakes squeak. I'm considering sanding the pads and scotch-brite-ing the rotor.

Is this not recommended

Also when I remove the caliper if the piston extends how do I go about pushing it back. I imagine I shouldn't push on the pad directly

Just give the pads and discs a quick once-over with WD 40 and all the squeaking will be gone.
t. totally not a skeleton

Take a c clamp and press it in with that. Make sure you leave the master cylinder open and watch for spillover.

Also don't be a pleb, just buy new pads and rotors. They're cheap.

Try smearing some copper grease on the back of the brake pads before doing anything drastic. You might even be able to get some anti-squeal shims for your specific caliper

Its seat is pretty hard which is somewhat uncomfortable, but it's pretty wide which means it doesn't actually make me as sore after hours of riding like my other bikes do.
Also I have literally 0 prior experiences with clipons or any bikes that make me lean forward at all. Just not used to it yet (have barely ridden it so far because I'm not going to insure multiple bikes during winter when I barely get to ride) or maybe I'm just not cut out for sportbikes. I know the forward lean is slightly less than other supersports but it's still infinitely more than my other bikes on which I sit completely upright. I think higher pegs on this bike might actually help with the comfort because it would help me support my body with my knees.

Also suspension is a bit harsher than my hellaplush dual sports but not too big of a deal.

Reminder to ignore all advice on /dbt/, especially about potentially life-threatening stuff, ESPECIALLY from kit kuck.
That includes this post.

>They're cheap.
rotors are like $100 each at a minimoum tho

>You are on /dbt/, ergo you are either a nobike or a beginner
Some of the people here have been posting here for almost a decade. We ain't beginners m9.

I've been posting on Veeky Forums for a decade and I'm still a newfag. Being a beginner works the same way.
Go climb a fountain, knucklehead.

No, get an R3.

>muh sekrit klub tier 2008 /b/ meems

>im basically pro
said every shit rider out there. be humble brother

>recalled

Squeking brakes usually means the calipers aren't retracting the pads all the way. Take the caliper apart then grease the slides and clean the pistons.

Is it normal to have your balls hurt after 3 hours of riding?

I fapped a lot lately, maybe it's just that.

How come your swingarm is leaking oil?

What bike?

Cool man, well enjoy the new bike.

I doubt it. Then buy new pads

SV. Seat is too wide for me, probably.

>is it normal to have your balls hurt

No.

Could be too narrow as well. But after 3 hours your balls definitely shouldn't be hurting.
Oh, also check that your pants aren't riding up into your crotch.