What does Veeky Forums think about Zapatistas?

What does Veeky Forums think about Zapatistas?

Are they for example successful Anarchism community?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acteal_massacre
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump

They are a fucking meme.

Meme guerrilla but nice tourist destination for european leftists

Apparently they have sold out hard
They are now a tourist trap who make their living selling t shirts of subcommandante marcos and che guevara to gullible european and american college students

For me it was a staged thing from day 1 (which was the day NAFTA came into being).
I´m not sure who is behind it but it´s ridiculous.
First you have a laughable guerrilla force with minimal firepower (old shotguns and molotovs), try to take some towns and get rekt. In comparision, the Caste War in 19th century was a serious thing, a mexican vietnam, where the maya had an army 0f 15.000 rebels.
Next is this white guy commander who babbles poetry and becomes a media celebrity.
Not even a half assed COIN effort by the mexican governement.
And all of that in the border between Mexico and Central America, a hot spot for drug traffic.

>First you have a laughable guerrilla force with minimal firepower (old shotguns and molotovs), try to take some towns and get rekt.
Kek. Matanza de Acteal best day of my life.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acteal_massacre

Mexico was shit when they were formed and shit now.

that's not selling out
a mans gotta eat

>Next is this white guy commander who babbles poetry and becomes a media celebrity.
white people are valued where they are rare. urbane mexicans around the north can complain about gringo, but for southern peasants whitey is exotic. It's why more low-skilled white men should go to asia, get jobs for which they are underqualified, and then get laid.
>Not even a half assed COIN effort by the mexican governement.
The zapatista's aren't big into the drug trade and only care about their little plot of land. The Mexican government didn't do much about them because they've simply got too much of everything else on their plate.

Yes it is.

why would it change? Do they rule the country or something?

The Caste War is interesting, would have been great if the Maya managed to hold onto their independent nation. But they were too divided amongst themselves and thanks to some who chimped out, they lost support from the Brits. Though they may have been Mexicans posing as rebels.

As a mexican my experience with indigenous people's is that they're ignorant and thoroughly stupid individuals. They rarely bathe, are infested with fleas/lice, are superstitious as fuck and generally fairly unpleasant once the mutual novelty has worn off.

Zapatistas are almost entirely made up of indigenous peoples.

> nothing spells victory like shoeless soldiers

what are those shirts? sloth fur? anyone?

Cultivated armpit hair

What is this /pol/ thread.

The Zapatistas defeated the Mexican military in their first engagement. The reason the war didn't escalate is due to the Mexican's incompetence, who tried but failed to fight back.

I am Mexican, so listen here and choose one:
>Mexico
>Even remotely capable military

Come on, this is the same military whose officers would use their soldiers as field hands for extra income. When first-responding Mexican units appeared, they were poorly equipped and generally without reasons, for the same reason modern-day Iraqis just ran at the first sign of conflict, namely the soldiery's tendency to sell their own equipment to make up for the graft practiced by the chain of command.

Then we have the officer-pilots. I hope you can already tell this is a heavily neutered fighting force meant to pose no threat to its own government. It is like a football highschool whete teen pregnancy and drug use rates are through the roof because
>lol too rich to care
The pilots could not even orient themselves to their own maps. I don't even think the Zapatistas needed to worry about AA, iirc the Mexican airforce never inflicted a casualty.

Nowadays, what does the Mexican military do when faced with cartels? They storm the city... And sit there. They form barricades for a week or so, then when literally nothing is happening they say
>lel city pacificación accomplished
and leave. And then the violence promptly resumes. Protesters draw an equivalent response in already-pacified areas.

All good Mexican would-be soldiers are either in America or in militia groups like the autodefensas or the Zapatistas - and unlike the Mexican military, enemies of the militia are killed, not encouraged to infiltrate.

Jesus, you people are beyond retarded. The first poster had a semblance of a point, though, but then ditches the details.

Think like this: the Zapatistas successfully armed themselves, like the Mayans, unlike others requiring foreign aid to "fight".

Without rations should be *incapable of obtaining rations and unsupplied

Think "literally woken out of bed and thrown into the fight with barely any training whatsoever and expected to succeed".

Are you seriously implying the zapatistas are a well armed force? those 60 year old rifles came from some old mexican or american army depot.
It´s not hard to get AKs or M16 in Central America if you really mean to fight a war.

>Do they rule the country or something?

Chairo fuck off. Go back to your anthropology faculty to read some obscure leftist manifesto while doing weed.

Being A Yucatan Maya descendant you know I'm down.

That being said I'd personally categorize what they're doing more as "trying to save the rec center" than anarchism.

A succesful drug cartel maybe.

Not an argument

>XIXth century movements against the privatization of common lands took the form of reactionary Catholic monarchism
>ex: Carlists, Chouans, Brigands in Southern Italy, Canudos in Brazil, several Church-sponsered conservative revolts in Hispanic America, etc

>20th and 21th century peasant movements against the privatization of common lands take the form of communist or anarchist guerrillas

What happened?

Peasants want land, church uses them against republicans and masons
Peasants want land, gommies uses them against governements

Poor peasants. No one truly cares about them.

You retard, read my post again. The Mexican army is so incompetent a well-organized band of squirrels could obliterate it. However, it needs to be organized. That degree of organization was met by the Zapatistas. It was met by other rebel groups. It was not meet by Che Guevara and his 30-40 fedoras in Bolivia. It is not met even by many professional militaries across the world. They had a very narrow scope of objectives and met them within days of the uprising with the Mexican government having no plan of action and never forming a plan of reaction beyond death squads.

At the end of the day, millions of Mexicans met basic legal and nascent economic liberation at the cost of 300 or so in military conflict and a few thousand when the Mexican government decided to nuke a village here or there with death squads. It is not a perfect success, but you don't hear about massacres of Chiapans anymore, only if massacres of mestizos far from Chiapas by the government masquerading as Zapatistas, a rather ineffective form of counter-insurgency when the organizational degree is capable of rapidly killing misinformation.

But no, I won't claim the Zapatistas were shooting down fighter-bombers with particle beam canons or casada howitzers.

They literally sold out to capitalism to take advantage of leftist retards. It's literal poetry