How do you go about living in a garage?

How do you go about living in a garage?

I don't have a garage, I don't have anything actually. I make around $1k a month, and want to live in a garage. I want a garage/work shop type building that will allow me to focus on my projects, that will also provide me with a living space. To elaborate, I want to buid a car, I'll need a place to keep tools and parts, and obviously the car itself. It occurred to me that it might be wise to rent/mortgage a garage some place to do this in.

Then I really started thinking about it and realized I'd spend most of my time there. The thought of quartering off a living space really appeals to me, but how do you find a suitable building? Everytime I look up a garage or garage living all I find is people converting home garages into livingrooms. It's like they don't even wanna live with their cars.

Other urls found in this thread:

houseplans.com/plan/1024-square-feet-2-bedrooms-1-bathroom-modern-house-plan-2-garage-35668
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>being this autistic

where would you poo

>$1k a month

You barely make enough to tinker on your car in addition to paying for a living space and amenities.

How about you get a full time job first kiddo.

Bump for interest

I know exactly how you feel, OP.

I just want a huge place to park my car in and have a corner with a squat rack and free weights, another corner with a couch, TV, and fridge, hotplate.

With plumbing ofcourse.

You buy land with a shop or build a shop.
Shops arent zoned for residential use. Nor would they be legal (in the US) as a dwelling.
They are usually quite large when for rent and you will pay per sq. Ft. Which means they are expensive.
A renter wont want someone staying in a building that isnt meant to have an occupant and can have severe legal consequences

for 1k/month it might be feasible to go out to the country and rent out a barn or something

Have you considered buying/renting a house with a garage?

They're pretty neat, they have a space where you can keep and work on your car as well as a space where you can live and the best part is they're right next to each other!

Lol burn notice

You could just live secretly in a storage unit

Cute dog
It is actually a full time job, $11.5 an hour. I know I'm not rich but considering the $7/hr minimum wage here, I'm definitely doing better than I was two years ago. I understand I'm still broke by most standards though, when I figure out how to fix that I'll let you know.
Glad to see I'm not alone in this.
I have a residence already, if I own the shop, how would anybody know if I have a bed in there? Are there really laws that say you can't have certain furniture in your building? Or you can't pass out in there from time to time? Who's to say whether or not that's a couple days a month or 5 days a week?

this, I was exactly like you OP and this worked out perfectly

Hey man, I make $12 an hour and work full-time, we're all tryna get paid.

You are much better off just moving into a house with a garage and hogging the garage though.

If you own the property you can sleep where you like.
BUT
As far as most US codes are concerned
A dwelling must have a closet as defined by code and a restroom as defined by code. (Codes varry)
So since you would have those things in your home, you can sleep wherever. You however wouldnt be able to rent out said shop legally

Have you seen Tron? The guy in that has a sweet garage home that might give you ideas

I use to live in my workshop, I would not recommend it.

Expensive to heat, expensive to cool, dirty and utterly fucking impossible to keep living areas clean.

Do you have any idea how much filth an unsealed concrete floor alone creates? Or how poorly most workshops/warehouses are sealed against the elements? The dust alone is fucking disgusting, unless you literally Dexter the fuck out of a space with plastic sheets you will wake up daily covered in shit.

>I have a residence already, if I own the shop, how would anybody know if I have a bed in there?

For the most part they probably wouldn't, BUT, council inspectors have every right to inspect your property, as do the fire department and a whole lot of other government bodies as well as landlords etc

>Are there really laws that say you can't have certain furniture in your building?

Yes. It's called zoning. There are fucking huge fines associated with failing to comply with them.

>Or you can't pass out in there from time to time?

Again, not really an issue now and then.

>Who's to say whether or not that's a couple days a month or 5 days a week?

Nosy neighbors, Cops or Security Guards doing the rounds, landlords etc

In all seriousness, I was a young, stupid and oh so edgy 19 year old once as well who wanted to live in a workshop, so I did, and it was shit, so I grew up and bought a house with a fuck huge garage.

If you want to fix it quick, pick up a trade.

Well, thanks for talking some sense into me I suppose. I have no use for a full blown house though. I was considering renting a one bedroom apartment, but they don't come with garages. And I've never seen a 1 bedroom house.
Like what?

>Expensive to heat, expensive to cool, dirty and utterly fucking impossible to keep living areas clean.
I've thought about this and I think the way to go is partitioning off a raised section and only heating/cooling that so you have a temperature controlled living space that's somewhat isolated from the dirt and pests. The issue with this is as you said it's borderline impossible to get an old warehouse zoned for residential and building your own faux-warehouse puts you into nice house with a big garage territory for cost so it's only worth doing if you really want to feel like the star of a shitty action movie and never have anyone other than unwashed hippies over.

Tell me more about these faux- warehouse hippie houses.

A small 2 bedroom house isn't as ridiculously huge as you might think it is.

It might not work depending on where you live, but find a few local realestate sites and start searching for 1-2 bedroom places with double garages, just see what's out there, you might find some nice little oddities.

And then down the track think about building something like pic related or even renting one out that someones already built on their property as a granny flat/guest house/den etc

houseplans.com/plan/1024-square-feet-2-bedrooms-1-bathroom-modern-house-plan-2-garage-35668

Far leftist scum in general love living illegally in old warehouses like that one that burned down in Oakland with tons of fags inside during a rave because it's a convenient place to talk about how great communism is while they buy heroin using the cash advance on their parents credit card.

A faux-warehouse would be a warehouse style building you'd build on residential zoned land which would make it not a warehouse since it doesn't actually house wares making it just a shitty house that normal people will think you're crazy for having paid money to build. The live-in warehouse only really works on a social acceptability level if you're re-purposing an existing building.

Like this one in Chicago

You sound kinda sour my friend.

I love a shot of H as much as the next guy, but I really just wanna focus on vehicles right now, and I need a place to do that. Even if it's an RV parked outside of a garage, I just need a place to work

that would be kinda nice without all the hipster garbage

Wellll, that RV idea doesn't actually sound totally bad, you know?... Hm... (Been lurking here for a while cause I want to do the exact same thing your trying to)

What the fuck are you talking about

You're* soz

This is indeed the dream but doing it legally is such a bitch it's not even worth it.

Go with the Autozone parking lot or your neighbor's driveway while he's at work like the rest of us.

Idk user, I do intend to get laid at least once in a while. Ideally it'd be a 1bedroom apartment atop a 4 car garage. Might be worth it in the long run to build something like this, but I'd love to repurpose a building if I knew where to find one

The types of projects I intend to undergo don't involve mobile vehicles.it would have to sit there for a couple months at least.

I know I know, and you're absolutely right! But, you know, for now... Might not be an absolute unthinkable thing, you feel like rushing into this lifestyle. But yeah, I know what you mean... In my case, I'd love a 2 car garage, with a small studio overhead

Storage unit my nigga. rent a storage unit and live illegally inside it with your project car. "homeless" do this all the time. it's more acceptable in some areas than other (like in commiefornia)

I know how you feel man. I'd say, keep saving up for an actual living space. It isn't worth it.

Tl;dr of my live: I worked for minimum wage untill now. The top jews of the Netherlands have a ladder system for minimum wage. If you're 18 you'll make a whopping 2.50 per hour. 19, it'll increase to 3.50 or something, untill 8.20 at 23 y/o.

I'm studying medicine right now, and paying the tinkering on my smart roadster with a subaru justy awd system is hard, but it beats working your entire life for a shit tier wage and having what you want right now

You're probably right user. I'm being foolish and just wanted a quick fix for a long term obsession. It'd be best to just wait and buy a house with a 4 car garage, that way when I tell bitches I sleep in my garage, they'll know it's because I'm passionate about what I do and not because I'm a bum.

you can be a passionate bum

The only pussy passionate bums get costs $3 and a bump of crack and leaves lumps on your dick.

This.

A safety note for OP: When a car battery is charging poisonous fumes are created. Don't charge a battery where you sleep unless you have lots of ventilation

If you mean Legacy, that was a shipping container, not a garage. And the cost and effort to turn a shipping container into a house is "rich hippie who pays everyone else to do the work" tier. I've looked into it, I could buy a real house for cheaper than turning a couple containers into a house.

do you just want a shop, or do you want to live some cosmopolitan industrial lifestyle in the middle of a city somewhere?

Thanks user, I'll keep this in mind.
Honestly I could go for either. My only problem with cities though is that the majority of them tend to be rather restrictive on gun rights and emissions.

"You're doing it wrong"

-guy that builds container houses

Are they cheap? No. Is the total cost cheaper than buying a house? Yes. 60k deep in a 2 bed/2bath, but that's with land and hookups. In my area, 120k gets you a house in the ghetto being auctioned off because it's been sanctioned as unsafe. Think I'm doing alright.

Pics please! Very interested.

You should look into a small warehouse. My brother had a paint shop out of one an i think he paid like $650/month. The only thing is that you cant legally live in them and depending where you are they do get inspected for code violations. And if the nigs figure out you live in one they will break in and kill/rob you.

Or...

You can get some land in the middle of the desert and put a Home Depot shack on it.

>i make around $1k a month

stopped reading there

lol.

you arnt gonna wanna live in your garage long if you're doing any serious work like sanding, paint or welding with fumes lingering without proper ventilation.Just get a normal place that has an attached garage, maybe find some other car enthusiast to live with that already has a tool crib. just my 2 cents.

I just had an idea! Buy a large conversion van or a camper, park it in a garage and live in it!!

just get a real job ffs

Just build your dreamhouse. A wide 2 car garage with stairs up the back to a small apartment on top. It'll be cheap to make, easy to wire and do plumbing and your dreams won't stay memes

That would actually be really cool, damn.

If detroit ever improves there are literally hundreds of old industrial buildings that could be repurposed

one can dream

Yah know there are things like this in Houston, around the Conrow area at least, theyre more ment for small shops or something, Ill post up a google maps link in a second

You make $1k a month?
>be homeless and just steal food for 4 months
>Pic related
you can now have your garage-house, live in the attic, go to walmart to shit, and be the biggest Veeky Forumstist ever

32318 Tamina Rd
Magnolia, Texas

Its the white buildings with the big garages and two floor attachment, im 100% certain this can be lived in and has a large garage space

if you can bear to live in Detroit now would be the time to do some absolute steals.

The dream is to retire and buy a fancy pantsy warehouse to convert to living place and workshop, and spend my days wrenching and getting pussy.

One can dream, amen.