I'm looking into buying my first car ever, and I was looking at this 1990 Honda...

I'm looking into buying my first car ever, and I was looking at this 1990 Honda. I really like 2 door hatchbacks and Hondas. Is it bad for a first car? Also how much would it cost to get a different paintjob on it? Any advice for a fatherless bastard who knows nothing about cars would be appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

hickory.craigslist.org/cto/6005303995.html
hickory.craigslist.org/cto/5995085533.html
hickory.craigslist.org/cto/5981657052.html
hickory.craigslist.org/cto/6007457324.html
charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/6006483856.html
hickory.craigslist.org/cto/5965503896.html
hickory.craigslist.org/cto/5980450913.html
hickory.craigslist.org/cto/5999928033.html
hickory.craigslist.org/cto/6008336860.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

good car

but that one I would avoid unless you cant find another

the amount of awfulness makes me wary

The guy wants $2k for it, but I think I could talk him down to $1500.

What's so awful exactly?

A paint job is gonna be $3k plus.
Just buy a better example. Or get a corolla.

post the ad

that awful paint scheme
not that great of condition
monster tach
racing seats
those wheels

all set off red flags to me

hickory.craigslist.org/cto/6005303995.html
Damn. Didn't know paintjobs were that expensive.

>hickory

oh shit nigga you close to me thats my local CL

well the fact that it has a B18A1 makes a little more worth it I was assuming it was a D15 still

the exhaust was done completely half assed and that would make me skeptical of the rest of the car too

I mean Id go check it out and do a test drive I guess

>those skinny jeans

Yup right in the middle of hickory!

I guess I'll check it out, but that color really turns me off. I could probably live with it but I think I'm best to do some more browsing, but it seems we live in a shitty area for used vehicles

At least you don't live in the midwest

>Nothing but lifted fords and shitty corollas for 8k
Kill me

he's talking about a quality paint job, chamces are you'll wreck your first car so you don't need anything near that expensive, masco has a $400 paintjob that will look better than whatever is has at the moment

a car that small, good chance I'll die in it if I wreck

not really dude I mean the fact that he has tanaka (ebay) harnesses installed incorrectly is far more dangerous than the size of the actual car

That thing is worth 300 at most, you can do better than that user.

Have some dignity OP
hickory.craigslist.org/cto/5995085533.html

hickory.craigslist.org/cto/5981657052.html

hickory.craigslist.org/cto/6007457324.html

No it's not retard it has a b18 in it with a b16 tranny 2000$ is absolutely a decent price to ask

get this automatic fwd outta here

op if you want to ball on a budget and also have fun get this mofo
charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/6006483856.html

does it come with dyke sweat and vaginal discharge?

does OP drive manual?
also that thing is missing a plastic trim on the right side

>he thinks mods add value to the shitbox

kys

this, mods actually lower value

engine swaps do on Hondas

kys busrider

maybe among enthusiasts
normies are the majority of the market and most don't want anything that isn't bone stock, if anything they'll want aftermarket audio

thanks for all the replies, its very helpful

normies probably arent looking at close to 30 year old Hondas

broke normies are

If the swap is done well I'd consider it a bonus. Everything else on that car is pretty ugly, though.

>the color, would prefer an OEM Aztec Green Pearl if they were going for that
>harnesses on anything but an actual track car is a pain
>muh JDM shoshinsha horn button, would drop
>that fuckhueg gauge pod gotta go, probably has hole in the dash though

This car is pretty anti-normie. In my local import Facebook group, a properly swapped Honda is a fast seller.

Personally, I'd be all over this and use the money saved on a new OEM clutch.

hickory.craigslist.org/cto/5965503896.html

And a close second choice.

hickory.craigslist.org/cto/5980450913.html

Oh and the wheels on that hatch are way too damn big for a car like that. Would trade for 15's.

that's what I was thinking today looking at some cars being shown at the mall, big wheels go well with cars that are designed with them in mind, but when people go and put fuckhueg wheels on a normal car it looks like utter shit

Yeah these cars had like 13's and 14's from the factory. Those two sizes are pretty limited on tire choice though so 15 is the perfect balance. 16 can be good in a few circumstances but after that it starts looking like some kind of donk.

That Civic looks amazing, but I'm weary of Manuel transmission for my first car. Have never driven stick before

You'll be fine. I didn't know how to drive one either but I bought my manual Civic anyway and took it out with my free time to learn it. Give it a week or two and it'll be in your muscle memory.

It's not rocket science. I have never driven an automatic in my life.
t. south american

Theres a 2004 RX8 in my area listed for $2500. Is it a scam or just utter trash or something? I can't imagine an RX8 going for that low

Its had a rough life from a bad owner

i paid 800 to paint my celica so..?

you can paint it with rustoleum and a roller for $200 as long as you're ok with it looking like an old carnival ride

>first car
No dude, buy something newer with no aftermarket parts, and that has matching body panels. You don't need racing seats, you don't need to endlessly fix the previous owners fuckups, you don't need "more power", and you certainly don't need to immediately go on ebay and slap cheap chinese shit on the car.

Hondas are fine but avoid like the plague anything that is custom. You don't want to have to deal with the short-term "temporary" fixes/installs that other people tend to do with this shit.

Oh and you might want to look at 4 door (or 5 door in the case of hatchbacks) models because the insurance is generally cheaper.

This is the best advice I've seen in this thread. You also need to think about maintenance, common cars are cheap as fuck to find replacements.

Yeah, I don't know what the fuck is going on here. People are acting like OP isn't a fucking kid and has a full racing shop to back his purchase.

ONE THOUSAND AND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS? Did he tell you all about his "tasteful" mods which increase the car's value by a million bucks, but he's selling it to you for "way less than it's worth"?

user, this car isn't worth anything more than $600, given that it's running at all.

EF civics are great to work on, cheap and simple.

Offer 900-1000 for it, point out the paint and how shitty it looks. See if hell drop the price with stock rims.

Or better yet find a car that wasnt fucked around with.

>1500
Save your money. I've bought Hondas with vtec swaps for less. Just wait.

I'm actually 30.. I just fucked up colossally during my 20's

I didn't know a 4 door is that much better on insurance. I really want a 2 door and something alittle more fun. Not into racing or shit, not into aftermarket garbage, but am willing to learn alot about cars if I need to.

Never buy somebody else's mistake.

Fucking Normie's ass pained about simple mods.
Enjoy your automatic crossover cuckboxes.
I don't see how simple mods like intake and exhaust can be "fixing previous owner fuck ups"
Don't be idiots now you guys.

Ricer mods scream beaten on. Ricer mods mean hacked up wiring harnesses. Ricer mods mean electrical and mechanical gremlins for the entire time you own the car.

That might be your brand of project car fun, but for a first car, fuck that shit.

I noticed that all of Veeky Forums thinks ANY SIMPLE MOD to any car means it's ricer.

I have an intake on my 2 year old civic
Am I rice yet?
Life is too short to drive stock. I also disagree with you about hacked up wiring harnesses if you are going to see a car and see a bunch of mods just make sure they were done right and correctly. I have bought cars with mods and had zero fucking issues of course if you are a person who doesn't Know shit about cars then I guess that would be difficult.

For a first car? I'll probably agree something stock is better.

>tl;dr nothing wrong with modding or buying modded Cars if done correctly

>all mods are installed competently
no

Literally that's why I said if done correctly
That's why you LOOK. Please see above post.

This car is spray painted Tiffany blue. It's a beat up ricer for sure

renesis is trash

Agreed

>not into racing or shit

then don't buy a riced out shitbox, there's millions of better manual transmission cars out there.

>done correctly

it looks like absolute dog shit you faggot, why are 3k civic memers such retards?

I have never suggested the civic for 3k meme ever.
Yeah it looks like shit but it still use a b18a1 and a b16 cable transmission you retard XD

I just want a 2 door little fun car that's good on gas and looks cool. I know that's pretty impractical, but at the same time it's what I want and not something that I intend to wreck.

Good paint jobs cost thousands of dollars. Buy something with a clean body that needs engine work before you buy something that needs bodywork.

1990-2001 acura integras
Thank me later.

based, only fools buy riced cars
agreed

hickory.craigslist.org/cto/5999928033.html
Just as a general question: I showed this to a friend, and he said "dont get that, it has a rotary engine that 99% of mechanics won't touch". Is that true? And also, can a convertable be "unconverted" and given a regular shell-top?

Sorry to shit up the board with more novice questions.

Never trust a car with no cylinders.

rotaries are extremely unconventional and not many mechanics know about them comparatively speaking

This. You might even be able to get under 100$ if rolling it.
Or borrow a spray gun, add some thinner, and it could even get somewhat decent (picture related, industrial 1k paint)

Or buy a clean car for $500 more and skip all that trash.

Owner of a 1994 civic hatch here. I think they're great first cars. extremely easy to work on, parts are incredibly cheap and plentiful. my local junkyard has at least a 15 88-00 civics at any given time, and those years have a lot of parts compatibility. if you wait hard you can get engine swaps, coilovers, swaybars, etc out of the junkyard because ricer fuccbois wad them up. you will catch a metric shit ton of h8 because they are owned primarily by ricer fuccbois, spics, and niggers, and so are primarily fucking thrashed and garbage. but I got a cleanish 1 owner '94 hatch with 132k for $2800, so deals are out there if youre patient.

still has the green doors so you are ok I think

Looks too ricer for me but I adore this gen of civic.
I would probably go out to see it but I don't think I would buy it.

hickory.craigslist.org/cto/6008336860.html

Are there any redflags with this ride?

not really

looks like a good beater

is 2k too much to ask for one?

I wouldn't pay 2k for a 23 year old automatic honda. I don't know how the market is in your area though.

Pretty much everyone expects to be haggled though so you would be a fool to pay 2k.