Do you press the button when applying the e-brake?

Do you press the button when applying the e-brake?

Is it bad if you don't?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1ePcNfx1UEw
youtube.com/watch?v=vL5kX7ilrFE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The button is for releasing, not for engaging

Always press it just because I don't like the noise
Its not bad to not do it damage is insignificant

this

end thread now

for a good while I used to but its straight up incorrect to do that. press on release, not to engage like you said.

/thread

I love that sound. Feels weird to pull it while holding the button

To OP, the only wear is from the brake handle racheting along. I highly doubt you are going to ever wear that thing out. If you do, your car will probably have over a million miles or something. You can replace it if by some chance it breaks.

Alright, that's good to know thanks anons.

I always pushed the button even when engaging because I thought the noise it made when not pressing the button was a bad thing.

At first, I was going to call you stupid. But coming from a point of view of a newtimer, that's actually a very understandable worry.

Keep asking questions, user!

Button drops the oil slick if it's a GM. It's eject on most other models though.

Yes. I just press the button.

youtube.com/watch?v=1ePcNfx1UEw

This.

The noise is annoying and even though it is part of normal operation, that noise doesn't sound healthy at all.

((( P )))

>Clutch is only for exiting gears, not engaging.
Pressing the button is something you do to stop wear on the teeth inside the handbrake.

CLONK

>burgers calling it "emergency brake"

>pulling it while driving

>actually turning the emergency into a CATASTROPHE

>power assist brakes
>power e-brake
>electrical failure
>no brakes
This shit should be illegal. A lever pulling a steel cable with mechanical linkage to the brake pads/shoes will almost never fail. There is no advantage to making this controlled by an electronic circuit.

You do know that it can be used to stop a moving car, right? Assuming, of course, the driver is not retarded and doesn't yank it then turn sharply. The two primary reasons for it's existence are:
>To hold a parked car in place
>To stop a moving car if the service brakes fail

Well the old Mercedes ones like were simple mechanical brakes.
It was just a pedal that was connected to the brakes via an inner cable and was disengaged at once when you pull the lever.

>4 pedals

that is silly, you only have two feet and what is the one next to the brake for anyways

what the hell

Oh, that kind is okay, actually better as a leg can apply more force than an arm. I had thought it was the purely electrical kind like the other image.

It's the turbo pedal. German overengineering at its best.

That's the go-slow pedal.
youtube.com/watch?v=vL5kX7ilrFE

Shut up, cheap troll.

My honda civic sounds much smoother and feels much smoother than most other cars in its class imo.

Truth hurts, but didn't expect someone to get THIS butthurt about it.

they're completely different systems with completely different forces applied to them.

user I don't even know what you're talking about. I'm an Australian and I've always heard it be referred to as an e-brake, and we only use it to hold a car in place when it's parked.

The button is for release, not application of the brake

You dont need to press the button on the drift stick.

it's a selector fork. it's made to be used without the button pressed.

>emergency brake
>doesn't even prevent emergencies

American'ts, everyone.

>not upgrading your handbrake spring and always holding the button so you can improve your fgrip strength

This system is brilliant and satisfying. But my dad's merc has a plunger you press or pull to disengage the handbrake? Or maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Yes, since I need to controll the braking force when I try a handbraketurn.

I have to replace quite a few worn out handbrake levers at work because the teeth have worn and it no longer reliably holds the car anymore.

Thats true, but you're not ever going to wear out the teeth or the latch unless you sit four hours a day just applying & releasing the handbraking while giggling to yourself

>doesn't understand basic Physics

Friction doesn't cause wear, heat does. You would literally have to be pulling the handbrake non-stop for hours to generate enough heat. Engineering Explained did a good video on this, go watch it.

>mfw europeans need FIVE (5) FUCKING PEDALS to operate a goddamned car

please explain it to me what the fuck are those two leftmost pedals, i know the other ones are clutch, brake and throttle

But Benzy, that's what I do all day.
You're still a novice if you don't use the E-brake so fast it glows.

Why is the E-Brake used for drifiting that cannot be accomplished by the regular brake?

You should only be using the e-brake to drift tight corners. Normal drifting should be done using weight transfer.

The e-brake only controls the rear wheels, which allows it to cause oversteer (back end slides out). The service brakes apply to all wheels and favour the front wheels to prevent the average idiot causing oversteer. Usually the service brakes are about 70% front, 30% rear.

>Apply sandpaper to face
>Start sanding
Come back and tell me about how great it feels because you haven't generated enough heat to cause wear

One is the e-break the other is the foot rest

Thats a manual W202 Mercedes footwell, or atleast so I'd think

Leftmost small pedal; parking brake
Big "pedal" under it; footrest, not a pedal
Right of that; clutch
Right of that: brake
Right of that: accelerator

Picture is a bit shit, but you can see what I'm on about

i see, thanks and thanks for not ridiculing me

reminds me of pic related. in all seriousness i would like a foot mounted ebreak plus clutch. it must look so damn intimidating to people who dont know wtf they are looking at.

Leftmost is parking brake, big one is just a place to rest your foot when not shifting gears.

Well, I can totally see it being a bit confusing with those "custom" pedal plates, especially if you're from the US where manual cars are rare enough as it is, and perhaps especially ones with manual transmission aswell as a foot-engaged parking brake

Different cultures, thats what it all is. I've become really terrible at driving automatic, with the result being that I slammed my chest into the steering wheel of my dads Outlander when I was going to drive it into the garage while not wearing a seatbelt, trying to engage a non-existant clutch with the usual applied force and instead hitting the brake...

nah benz, you're fine

I only pull and press the button if I want to be a cunt and slide around

I hold the button because I don't like the noise

>friction doesn't cause wear, heat does

how can you be this retarded

WTF is a secondary clutch? Or is that part of the joke of the pic

The foot pedals from a piano give it away

Got a drift button, for mad skids bro. It's always locked down for skids