/domg/ - Dominions general

Blessing of limne edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm (embed) (embed) (embed)

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuklearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first
>Die and join the ranks of brave skeletons

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya/discussions/1/135
youtube.com/watch?v=7oxvmNgBjTE
youtu.be/UxdQ6xa8cjs?list=PLEQfgNWit-LceDdI7J2LXFuhqNcaZnciv
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ermor thread

Can I please have 24 more hours for Kichikuo?
S-sorry...

It's happening!

Can I have 24 hours more for Olathe? I have had the flu and could use a little more time.

Does anyone have the q.t. Caelum Watamote pic?

Lemurian thread.

Thread as dead as Community Clash

Shout out to everyone in DSDS for 61 turns in 25 days

shout out to page 10 also

Ever lost a game because an opponent researched a critical spell and wipe your army? Won't happen in this game!

steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya/discussions/1/135

Very difficult research.

Maybe we'll have extra gold, gems, or resources. What do you think, /domg/?

very difficult research makes strong early game nations stronger; makes strong researchers with solid middle game options much stronger and makes strong researchers win by default if they hit late game research

very difficult research is a bad setting

2 more for RolePlayingIsFun

i really enjoyed the game I played with difficult research. It seemed to make the midgame last longer, and I find the midgame much more fun than late game.

So you say difficult would be better than very difficult? Very difficult is a little absurd, 200 to level 1. Someone mentioned a mount and blade mod, this is pretty close.

I don't know if difficult or very difficult would be better. I've never played very difficult. I'm just saying I enjoyed difficult.

Are there any guides out there on late game tech route priorities, power scaling and battle strategies?

I'm finishing up a couple games where I planned and executed strategies early into midgame pretty well but then got out scaled hard due to not having a end game plan such as utilizing gems on summoning big mages/or high hp blood summons in the 6/7+ tech trees.

No, because it depends SUPER hard. It's going to be different for every nation, and moreover your exact priorities will depend on what your opponents are using. For instance if you're up against golems, you need either magic phase moving water bottle carriers or actual thugs, whereas if you're up against living thug spamming you can use leech / LfL whereas if you're up against an opponent whose armies are a small core of cheap mages and heavy infantry you might want a thug with battlefield clear and on it goes.

t. buttblasted blood nation

what if you could use gems to speed up research?

blood is fine with v difficult research to be honest. Usually you want blood when you get your blood hunters and patrollers and such set up, and with very difficult research you can start going for blood right away and have an income by the time you hit your spells

So far the only very difficult research game also had 75% site frequency. It also was in MA, and involved banning lots of nations.

Would be interesting to see how a very difficult research game would handle without those added settings.

How do you fix the summod Barbarian crash? Is there a missing sprite in my version of the mod? It's only a single-player game so I won't be delaying anything but I'd like to sort this before it comes up in multiplayer.

probably a missing sprite, yeh

Is this a known problem? Should I redownload summod?

Just realized I was running an old version of summod for some reason. Disregard my previous posts I suck cox.

It's the missing sprite that will immediately trigger a crash, since barbarians can appear on the overland map. Other missing sprites won't immediately cause the crash because they often tie to national summons and so on that you won't necessarily see.

Fuck you Caelum. This shit is all your fault.

>steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya/discussions/1/135
Make it 300/300/300/75 for maximum fun.

>last thread archived at 500 posts

This is an omen of the end. We must find a way to master our own mortality or tragedy awaits us.

Three turns, fellow pretenders.

Some of you Pretenders are alright, dont come into the Blitz tomorrow

Maybe if we stopped having weeb images in OP we could actually stand out from the rest of Veeky Forums and give new players a quick impression what this game is about.

Yeah, I blame the weeb image in the last thread, too.

We're talking long-term player retention, and driving in new players. Some people will just spot the thread and get interested. If it has a random weeb image it will look like just any other shitty general with nothing interesting to bring.

Toss together an album of interesting images. If it's any good, we can include it in the OP.

How about a qt trap?

a weeb image is interesting and is already bringing something to the table

take it easy user

>it's a weeb OP pic episode

I'd join if it had magic enhanced.

:^)

You can already do that using F, A, and D

>posts second-least meaningful graph
>hides his own info to pretend someone else is stronger

What would be the most meaningful graph of them all, onipaisemfamlamchan?

Provinces > Income ~ Gem income of course.

:^^)

>that xibolbo removal

>remove bats
>don't remove birds at the same time
Fucking noob games

We got new players thanks to the shadowverse vampire loli image.

Your argument is invalid.

Though in my opinion you'd have to be a huge failure of a person if you decide whether you want to play a game or not solely on the OP image of a general on some mongolian cave pictures in motion forum.

>hides his own info to pretend someone else is stronger
From what I'm seeing here, the real threat is china.

do research

Is Holy Vengeance (through Holy Avenger) as good as blood bless/damage reversal?

t. Caelum

yfw Caelum is pronounced seal-um

Which pretender goddess would you hug, /domg/?

Just someone who has seen diplomonsters at work far too many times.

If you want a gank on him, post your own stats too so people can tell you're not the actual threat.

great mother

china has done jack shit in all the match. if the expanding into anything was a bat provinces or two.

Haha no

It's not even worth casting is it?

The High Elves were cute! CUTE!

Welp. Only elves left now are the hillbilly wood elves.

In other news I have finally done something in this game and taken the fight to the rats. It was actually a rather short fight. The skaven cast some sort of unknown spell that hurt everyone and caused most of their own forces to rout.

Birds are arguably easier to play than Xibalba for noob players, so I would have attacked Caelum instead. You can see it in the graphs: Xibalba never had more provinces than anyone (bats aren't that easy to expand with when you are new)

A suggestion

I assume birds are expanding into your lands

>Vanarus has all the seas to himself
Feels bad man.

>3rd player has goen AI for no fucking reason
I hate those kinds of games.

We are friends :^) I hope.
I was busy the whole match with berytos sieging two bat provinces that had 100219340 bats in them with +1 fort defence thing. A big amount of chinks were used.
t. ermor

When I came home and saw the previous thread was dead and nobody had done anything about it, I made a new one. If you'd rather be represented in the catalogue by epic Forester Bob meme images, by all means, start a thread with one and actually keep it alive.

By all means, we had hours without a thread. It's not a huge deal, your animu grill isn't even cute so it is sort of unique.

>literally minutes before submitting a re-scripted turn the turn resolves
>in new turn, my old script caused more than 50% of my troops to die and most of my communion masters
Motherfuck

At least I won the battle, Arco is down to less than 28 dudes stuck in his cap.

post link

Reminder to everyone that the wiki needs a fair amount of work on core content.

>That feel when listening to high quality bitrate versions of classic songs while playing Dominions

How the hell did you fuck up so badly?

>t. ermor
guess again

really post the full charts.

yo marv give me your steam handle

>playing dominions
>listening to anything else than prog rock and power metal

>Not appreciating the glory of Mozart as you lay your carefully crafted plans

baka senpai

Power/melodic metal gets a pass for being based though

>not playing bats/mictlan while blasting andean prog

youtube.com/watch?v=7oxvmNgBjTE

rev up those flutes boi

Post tracks then.

>The only song/ost you need for Marverni

youtu.be/UxdQ6xa8cjs?list=PLEQfgNWit-LceDdI7J2LXFuhqNcaZnciv

>>listening to anything else than prog rock and power metal
mah nigga
who /shadow gallery/ here

I was giftsing my own guys instead of casting blade wind which would have ruined their day but not really hurt my dudes
I also don't think my magic duelers worked?
But anyway yeah, my communions ran until they all died and my boar warriors carried the day because berserkers

I also think Arco cast an earthquake that killed more of his chaff than mine

>Mozart
Entry level pleb pls go.

I'm curious what you would have done differently. I know what I would have.

And I still have mages. It'll take a long time to tease me out. I'm going to make this as painful as possible for you.

technically Orlanthi are more Samnite than anything

Blade wind would have done fuck all in that storm. The ones you did cast barely hit anything. Damn, I wish you had put that rescript in. I might have won.

>I also think Arco cast an earthquake that killed more of his chaff than mine
2 Earthquakes, and that's what killed a good chunk of your mages. My chaff was mostly irrelevant, your boar warriors would have chewed through them anyway.

>I also don't think my magic duelers worked?
The magic duelers actually killed two of my mages which hurt me pretty bad with how narrow the margins were.

Already plenty painful m8
My revised script was to actually let my troops do most of the heavy lifting, using blade winds to kill chaff and force a rout with my E2s while my E1s cast Earth Meld on the flanks to try and bog your chariots down, while my S2s just cascaded all day erry day.

Didn't know you had storm access, when I really should have.

So! Knowing what I know now, I'm going to be doing some changes to my general strategy actually. Round 2 is gonna be fun

that image makes me want to perform cunnilinguis

Also: I'm very disappointed in invulnerability. I should have kept Asterios back and given him equipment instead of sending him raiding. That was barely any protection at all.

>In a strong position
>Good research
>No bats, strong alliance with birbs
>Making money hand over fist, all thrones forted and secured.

Is this what it's like to be happy? It's been so long, I've forgotten the feeling.

Invulnerable 25 is the same as 25 prot against mundane damage, so it's no wonder I killed him right quick with mass axes, especially since there was no repelling.

inv, ethereal and mistform are all against mundane weapons. a lucky magic shot will fuck him up, and mistform and inv count as additional def and additional prot respectively

if you send one inv commander against a hundred chaff, he will get swarmed as every attack in the same turn hits harder

actually, most early buff magic is only really effective against chaff. magical attacks, physical and casted will fuck you up. it's why it's not recommended to have low hp thugs

>Already plenty painful m8
Good to know, I'll get my backstabbing knife ready.

Yeah I had originally planned to give him a robe of shadows and some other stuff that now sits useless in my lab because I couldn't get him to an unsieged lab province. I should have kept him in my cap instead of raiding. I got greedy.

Only person I'm not friends with who borders me is Hinnom, who I'm not exactly UNfriendly with
Until my god wakes up and finds out what he does with all those thralls

>only three stargazers
>almost turn 30
Are you even trying?

>people getting booty blasted over animu grills on Veeky Forums

I'll never get it. Especially since now we have an actual japanese admin.