2014+ Lexus IS

2014+ Lexus IS
or
2012+ BMW 3 series

Which one would you rather have over a ten year span? Thinking about buying one to keep for the next decade or so.

The Lexus. German reliability is a myth.

To be honest, I'd love to say the BMW but I feel like after 10 years the cost of repairs would kill me. At least with the Lexus I know I have Toyota reliability and more.

>Which one would you rather have over a ten year span

Lexus, no question.

Why are so people so fickle about BMW reliability? It seems as though people who have them always say repairs are "not that bad", but I never hear anyone with a Lexus doing anything other than oil changes

Lexus. Hands down. The BMW will depreciate like a rock tied to a larger rock welded to some lead. The Lexus will do so as well, but slightly slower.

Lexus = Toyota reliability, too. BMW's have gotten better but they still cost a fucking arm and a testicle to fix. And when they break, boy do they BREAK.

Maybe because they're wealthy enough? Idk, I wouldn't want my money to ALWAYS go towards my car now.

lexus. because: reliability
every person I know who has a new bmw, and there are fucking lot of them since europe, say they have had to fix entire car as it slowly broke down at cut-throat prices.

lexus

BMW if you only were keeping it for two years.

>buying one to keep for the next decade or so.
How many miles/week are you likely to put on it? If you're looking for a DD, and money is really an issue, I think two economy cars for five years each makes more sense than one luxury car for ten.

I'm not OP but why are Japanese cars so reliable? And why are German cars that are according to the people well built, breaking so much and aren't reliable?

lexus because it empirically will treat you far better in the long run; less smaller repairs, less catastrophic failures, proven albeit outdated power trains.

If you ask me, the BMW has the slight edge in terms of the GUI, but they're about on par in terms of interior design language and build quality.

Exterior wise, lexus is a bit more my taste and a bit more avant guard.

BMW is only good for leasing.

the only people i know who drive beamers are usually leasers, and as we all know, unless you work in a career where your image in a car actually matters, leasing is for idiots and rich-er people.

manufacturing.

toyota invented the basis of modern quality management systems as we know it.

It's actually extremely interesting - look up the "toyota production system" or "thinking people system" as they call it.

the drawback is SOMETIMES the powertrains are a little behind the curve, but the benefit is they are proven due to Toyota's process of refinement -- they dont change things every two years so it allows their process to incrementally improve.

the numbers prove it in terms of long term quality.

Lexus Mechanic here, only major faults with the IS series is soft pads + rotors = nice feel but short life. And the front shocks are going to die at some point but it will be within the warranty period anyway. If you keep it past that date expect to pay 500 bucks to replace one.

And expect brakes to last no more than 60,000KM, unless its a hybrid version. Those never need replacement, like cars with 200,000KM on the clock still have 80% pads front and rear.

HiD bulbs arent cheap but both cars have them and I think after working for Lexus for over a year now I've replaced maybe 5 out of hundreds and hundreds of cars.

>sometimes
The 7AFE was a mistake

Lexus looks stupid and will not age well.

In 10 years the lexus will be worth more than the bmw.
And you will also have saved more than the bmw due to the relability

Only downside is the look of lexus. I like the design language but imho thing could look more refined, especially the front

this one looks pretty great honestly, I wasn't a fan of the fuckhuge grill but I saw a widebody racecar version of it and it grew on me after that.
now it looks cool AF to me

Lexus

The BMW will probably cost you another $10 000 in maintenance and repairs over the next 5 years where's as thr Lexus may only be like $3000.

The Lexus will hold its resale value better.

My work commute is only 7 miles. I have no debt and DD an accord right now. Would like something a little more comfy to drive as I usually take 3-6 hour road trips once a month.

I like the design of the new IS. I would like the 350 but they're still a little too expensive right now

Neither. The last good 3 series was the e46 and the last good IS was the 300.

t. bus rider

Lexus, because it actually has turn signals.

t. nocar