[RX-7 Questions]

Hello Veeky Forums, I had been browsing through my local classifieds when I came across a 1979 RX-7 that seemed really nice (Not the one in the pic). The Guy wants 2500 for it. He says it has 260000 km (161000 miles for the rest of you). He didn't have any pictures, and I haven't looked at it yet, but he claims the body is in good shape and the motor is in great condition. I was just wondering if there is anything I should be looking out for when checking out this car. I would also like to know if this is a good year for this vehicle or not. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Get it compression tested by someone that knows rotaries before you buy it

I wouldn't buy it unless you can get a compression test done at a Mazda dealer.

Normal compression testers won't work on a rotary.

Lets assume user doesn't have access to a mechanic who knows rotaries, would there be a way for user to do this himself?

No, rotary compression testers aren't cheap, and are also electronic.

buy a rotary compression tester or take it to a mazda dealer

There is a mazda dealership in town, but would they be able to work on a vehicle that is this old. From my experience with some of the other local dealership guys, they don't do much if they cant use their diagnostics machines.

they should be able to compression check it at the very least. If they can't then you may want to be prepared to pull and rebuild or replace the engine yourself if it fails

They don't need to use a diagnostic machine to check compression, they can use the same compression tester they use for the rx8's.

Ah, well I could ask the guy if he had it compression tested lately. Does this seem to be a common problem with this year in particular, or just all rotaries?

This is wrong.
Normal compression tester work fine if you hold the valve open

All rotaries, and never trust the seller.

All rotaries, you want a compression test done to see what shape the apex seals are in.

You also need to make sure there is no water leaking into the housings or externally from the housings, replacing waters seals involves tearing the entire engine down.

Also wrong.
OP. Dont ask rotary questions here. These idiots dont know anything.
Go over to rx7 club

How is telling the OP that all rotaries CAN have bad apex seals wrong?

I probably should of done that, but I lurk around here so often that it seemed more convenient.

Also RX7 club is just basically just a bunch of dudes jacking each other of and angrily telling newcomers to use the search function

>161,000 miles
>still has good apex seals
Pick one.

>knowing nothing about rotaries

It's not unheard of, especially on a 12a or early 13b

From what the seller is telling me, its a 12a engine.

All SA22's {78- 80) are 12a.

The 12A is unstoppable. I've got 205k on mine and I don't think it's been rebuilt, at least not by any of the past 3 owners.

They're fun cars and that isn't a bad price. Get some pics or go look at it for sure, though.

>Also RX7 club is just basically just a bunch of dudes jacking each other of and angrily telling newcomers to use the search function
Not just RX7 club, that's every fucking forum ever.