Car Stereo

Need to replace the tape player in my shitbox

Is something like pic related worth buying?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rKy1ZNqestU
wikihow.com/Create-a-Stereo-Auxiliary-on-an-Old-School-Radio
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Double DIN
>Quality
>Inexpensive

You may pick only two.

the chinese have gotten very good at making these double din touchscreens over the years

just make sure to google around the model number and see if anyone's gotten one like that before.

i had one in my old S4 and it was pretty decent. gave me handsfree phonecalls, bluetooth music streaming, and a backup camera.

make sure it's got a screen dim function before buying. Otherwise it will look like you have a christmas tree in your car at night

>The chinese have gotten very good at making these double din touchscreens over the years

No they haven't. Even the brand new ones are total shit.

No. Just get a single DIN with bluetooth and a phone mount.

There's good double dins from pioneer for $130-160

Not touchscreen like OP though but who wants to fucking look at the thing to find buttons instead of real buttons

Yes - conditionally.

Make sure that the model you are getting has good support over at XDA, otherwise the bugs in the Chink software will drive you nuts. I have a unit that is totally unsupported by XDA pajeets so I've had to sort of hack the firmware together to get rid of bugs. It's a pain in the ass.

I will agree that having a touchscreen in a car is stupid HOWEVER being able to map steering wheel controls (if your car has them) for volume and track changes means you won't touch it while driving - most of the time.

If you get one of the aforementioned units you would be able to map a long hold of one of the SWC to voice recognition, which would then be able to do navigation, put on whatever album you want to listen to, etc etc. So you won't need to worry about the touchscreen while you're driving at all.

These two things put together means you don't really have any of the downsides of the touchscreen, so it's worth it for me.

This. A smartphone mounted to your dash makes fancy head units obsolete. Voice control makes it even better.

>downsides of the touchscreen
what do you feel they are?

The fact that there's zero tactile feedback and you're forced to look at it to make any sort of adjustments, and then theses the screen being washed out in the sun. Touchscreens in a vehicle are really stupid.

Some people want the true quality of their music instead of adding more audio processing into the chain, especially from a shitty smartphone DAC. Bluetooth audio is compressed and aux cables are gross.

There are only really three; tactile feedback, nighttime distraction and fingerprints. The first two are the real issues and the second one is only an issue because of my detailing autism.

Imagine reaching over to the centre console to adjust the AC while your driving. You didn't have to look, because you know exactly where the knob is and you can feel how much you've turned it. Easy.

Now imagine that the AC was controlled by the touchscreen. If you aren't looking at the screen, you're stabbing blindly as to where you think the adjustment is, and when you do get it you don't know how much you've adjusted it. Or you may hit a bump while you were adjusting it, and now you've hit something else on the screen that does God knows what.

And maybe you had to navigate, using the touchscreen, to a specific menu before you can adjust it.

You can probably see why trying to do shit on a touchscreen while you're driving is such a bad idea.

I used to be able to touch type using T9 on my old Nokias while driving and not have to look at it. Nowadays it has to be voice recognition, a phone call or just wait till I'm out of the car.

Secondly, a lot of the Chink head units don't have ambient light sensors which means that they're at max brightness 100% of the time unless you configure it to adjust based on time of day. This means it floods the cabin with bright white light, which isn't ideal if you're driving at night, especially if you're out in the sticks. This can be circumvented using Lux and CF.Lumen though (brightness control, then a red tint on the screen).

Pretty much this

Nigga like I can even hear the difference over the exhaust drone. That's why I have a stereo at home.

>this

fuck sound quality in a car just make sure there is shit tons of bass and its loud as fuck.

and then have a nice system at home for music

Spend the money you save on an exhaust upgrade.

I guess it depends on how much you play with the radio, I got a kenwood with a volume button and I mainly listen to the radio, so switching stations or answering the phone on the screen isn't an issue, but I agree it isn't easy or a good idea to be fucking around with the screen trying to find a song while you're driving

not everyone listens to shitty music they want to share with the world

i bet people laugh uncontrollably when they see 2 fat gay furfags roll by in a car blasting nigger bass

This is true

For example, I am going to buy the Sony XAV-AX100 for my 2016 Toyota GT86.

Is not cheap, but since this is my daily driver I want to to have good quality on it.

youtube.com/watch?v=rKy1ZNqestU

probably laugh more at the lonely autist riding the bus

Hijacking thread, my dad's Explorer 1996 radio is falling apart and It's up to me to get a new one that he'll pay for (tfwnojob) I did some research and it's a double din type of thing. Is there any stereos that don't look like a rainbow barfed on them/ not touchscreen?

Does it have steering wheel controls? If so just get a MTCB/MTCD unit

>MTCB/MTCD
sorry, I don't know what that is. But it doesn't have steering wheel controls

Buy another stock radio. Use an aux adapter that plugs into the back or get a tape to aux adapter. Aftermarket radios are shit.

buy another stock head unit.

>tape to aux adapter
Fuck no, those are shit.

Modding a tape deck to have an AUX input is seriously fucking easy. You just tap the back of the tape head and add a 3.5mm jack. To activate it, insert a cassette that has the actual tape removed.

wikihow.com/Create-a-Stereo-Auxiliary-on-an-Old-School-Radio