youtube.com/watch?v=X0HesHeTImM
youtube.com/watch?v=viqyywyrztM
youtube.com/watch?v=MbLEmqyRM_U
youtube.com/watch?v=jHMF7T3L3zQ
youtube.com/watch?v=N3o-b_9BE0U
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiLL
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

DUDE WEED LMAO

to sell kids cars. Toyota failed to realize that kids can't afford a new car themselves, and those with parents willing to buy one end up with higher end cars. the surprise hit was the xB with the elderly, the seat is at ass height for most people so it requires minimal bending

Pic related and also for Toyota to "experiment" without tarnishing their mother brand

To expand on that, it's the fact that most of the cars were also more expensive than just getting a Corolla.

There was no point.
That's why scion no longer exists.

Toyota has a reputation as being the efficient, safe, and boring car that middle-aged people drive.
Toyota wanted to experiment with "hip" and a little "sporty" car that they could easily market to younger people, but it's hard to do that with their reputation.

To make slow af cars.

zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/scion-0-60-mph-times/

to open toyota to the yoof market. but it failed as millenials dont drive

I think the point was to get younger people who are working their first job out of college something affordable as a stepping stone into the brand that isn't the vanilla family vehicle. The problem was the brand was conceived before the AVERAGE college student ended up with a degree & a job at Starbucks. If the economy of the late 90's continued into the mid 2000's it might have worked. They could've easily tied incentives to student loans, parental ownership, & first time new car buyers and created their own exclusive market.

It was a failed risk.

That's why they failed in the end. It was given nowhere near that amount of thought. I think Toyota just never believed in it and gave up on it.

Really think about it. The only car Toyota "tried" with in Scion was the FRS, which they saved for Toyota. All the other cars died. The iA doesn't count because that's a Mazda

Copy pasta from previous thread.
To understand Scion, first you need to understand how Scion came to be In 1999, Toyota decided they needed to capture the hearts, minds, and wallets, of the youth generation. It all started with a cooperation of many Japanese companies, They came together for a brand of things specific to Japan that were to be marketed relentlessly to the youth under a brand called WiLL. There were WiLL refrigerators , laptop and desktop computers (made by Sony. IIRC, the US market equivalent was the Sony Vaio), cell phones, and of course, cars. Toyota made 3 cars for the WiLL brand (pic related), 2 were based on the Yaris (US market Echo), and the last was based on the Voltz (US market Pontiac Vibe). Pic related is the WiLL VS, based on the Voltz.

The WiLL project got Toyota inspired though. If this could work in Japan, there was a chance it could work more lucratively in the United States, their largest market. but first they had to find out what young Americans wanted.
This led to the start of Project Genesis. Genesis took 3 US market cars and advertised them different from the rest of the line up to find what clicked. While most of Toyota's line up were advertised for their practicality and reliability, these 3 cars were marketed as fun, and fast. The 3 cars were the Toyota Echo, the Toyota Celica, and the Toyota MR2 Spyder.
>continued next post

Project Genesis ended in 2001 and was branded a huge failure, but one they learned from.
The Echo wasn't quirky or unique enough to capture their imaginations.
The MR2, though desired by many young Americans, failed because dealer markups (because sports car) pushed the price of them out of the range of the intended market.
The Celica caught on though. It was unique enough to capture imaginations. It was sporty enough to not be a complete poser, and as a hatchback, it was practical enough for youth to use as a DD.
Project Genesis then led into Project Exodus, later renamed Scion. Exodus built on the lessons learned from Genesis, to great success. From the MR2, they learned they would need to employ the technique of no-haggle-pricing borrowed from GM's Saturn division (which had had success in the youth market). This kept the cars at sticker price. Dealers were not allowed to mark up or they'd lose the right to sell any Toyota products, period.
From the Celica, they realized hatchbacks made everything more practical for the youth and made cars usable for everyday driving. A Celica replacement was quickly developed for Exodus (The Scion tC).
From the Echo, they learned the cars needed to be interesting and quirky, with often controversial styling. They also learned they needed a new brand. Young buyers didn't want to own a car from the same brand with dull and lifeless products like the Camry and Corolla. A California ad firm was contracted to develop the brand, logo, and advertising. Scion was the result.
>continued next post.

Something else unexpected they learned from Genesis, from the Success of the Celica, was the importance of personalization. They noticed most of the Celica's had been modified and personalized. Ka-ching! Big opportunity there! This led to the Optomize Scion program. With the program, Toyota would foot the bill for other companies to develop bolt on aftermarket parts for Scion vehicles. These parts would then be made available at dealerships through TRD and wouldn't void the warranty. This would be a huge selling point for many buyers.
Scion got their own headquarters in California separate from Toyota and announced themselves to the world in 2002 with a few concept cars (the BBX and CCX) which previewed what their production cars would look like (the xB and tC respectively). Scion released the xA and xB to the public in 2003 in California only initially to troubleshoot any problems before rolling out the brand to the rest of the country. The xA and xB were both based on the failed Echo, but were much more interesting. Scion wasn't keen on the original xB, feeling the styling too radical, and predicted the more conventional looking xA would outsell the xB 2 to 1. They were wrong. The xB's love it or hate it styling caught on in a major way, quickly developing a cult following. The were well-built, practical, attention-grabbing, and infinitely customizable. Advertising often touted the cars as a blank canvas

mentioned advertising.
Genesis:
Echo-
youtube.com/watch?v=SFoJ_MWQb1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=zB8huyJTFZo
youtube.com/watch?v=nWFYtJiGryA
Celica-
youtube.com/watch?v=ENgz5QbUROE
youtube.com/watch?v=8a2lcFMqHxw
youtube.com/watch?v=12CDQ5UlLGU

And then Scion.
youtube.com/watch?v=Z7E6RCcfEGg
xA;
youtube.com/watch?v=-WsCjMwvC04
xB:
youtube.com/watch?v=UrFoG_LSBUg
youtube.com/watch?v=ECFxhV76MH4
tC:
youtube.com/watch?v=K1uwRJ1vpyQ
youtube.com/watch?v=pY2Haja1xps
youtube.com/watch?v=hjxYlZWG8W0
youtube.com/watch?v=hpKi1d6MhLc
xB (second gen)
youtube.com/watch?v=JpQ0ygDlC8k
youtube.com/watch?v=a-Qrgb3HxOw
youtube.com/watch?v=SpkKsUBwDzQ
xD (replacement for the xA)
youtube.com/watch?v=Set1KKd6HKM
youtube.com/watch?v=IL0075A4sbI
youtube.com/watch?v=Pv0SN3CMeGI
youtube.com/watch?v=0j6RoxNrDfg
tC (second gen)
youtube.com/watch?v=ZBuzWADYG4s
youtube.com/watch?v=YGPQPlqg2Ho

missed one.

Second gen Scion xB.
youtube.com/watch?v=BCQN9Zz5me8

Why did it fail?

>announced themselves to the world in 2002 with a few concept cars (the BBX and CCX) which previewed what their production cars would look like (the xB and tC respectively).

all they did was take the japanese production model toyota Bb and rebadged it.

WHAT'S THE POINT OF THIS BOARD

Scion commercials were good until they turned "urban."

Chad Zeus was probably the best one

Yeah he was funny. The "Looks Fast" was the best though

>There will never be another vehicle as A S T H E T I C as the gen 1 xB

I guess the kia soul is kinda close...

and the tC was a rebadged.......?

Numerous reasons.
One was they expected a larger number of customers to add on TRD bits than actually did. Scion didn't have trim levels with overpriced options like usual. They relied a bit too heavily on those aftermarket add-ons at the dealers.

Another was who bought them. While the tC intially sold better with men, by 2007, most buyers of the tC were females who thought it was cute and ruined the cars reputation.
The edgier second gen was squared off more as a result in an attempt to scare off female buyers. This is why the second gen was so aggressive looking.
On a related note. They listened to the wrong people when designing follow-up models. For the second gen xB, Scion was originally cautious of the first gens having thought it too radical. So for the second gen, they talked to customers who bought the car and bitched rather than the customers who bought it and liked it. So the second gen car was a lot larger (having moved from the Yaris/Echo chassis to the Corolla chassis) and a lot more powerful (using the tC's 2.4L drivetrain borrowed from the Camry). The styling was also softened. While still a usable box car, the second gen xB lost all its edge and charm permanently destroying a large chunk of the fan base. The new xB sold well enough... just not to the target audience. Because they listened to people who'd hated the first xB, the second xB was incredibly popular with old people who found them endlessly useful and easy to get in and out of. This, of course, also helped ruin Scion's carefully crafted reputation.
After that, sales went downhill year after year. So in short, women and old people directly led to the demise of Scion.

>The edgier second gen was squared off more as a result in an attempt to scare off female buyers. This is why the second gen was so aggressive looking.

Are we still talking about Scion or this about the NC and ND miata?

>So in short, women and old people directly led to the demise of Scion.
A story as old as time itself that will be told to endless generations

It's also not helpful that their sportiest car before the 86 was rebadged and renamed Celica.

the tC was pretty succesful, you still see first gens everywhere

haha those fucking celica ads, toyota was literally saying their car was a shitbox that looks fast

>looks fast

Your point being?

i dont know, it seem kind of stupid marketing your "sports car" as a slow shitbox

I think they were being a little bit ironic. They know it's not a sports car. But it's definitely a sporty shitbox. It's just for comedic effect that it looks way faster than it is

Millennials

It was Panasonic not Sony

Camrys for 20 year olds so they can feel cool while going no faster than the general traffic
>this is me

Why do companies feel like they have to do something special to sell their shit?
If you want a good youth car just make it look cool, handle well and have a decent engine.
Bonus points for being mechanically simple
It's not fucking rocket science.
It can't be difficult to make a simple, decent handling car with maybe AC and power windows for around 13-15k new.

Americans

the iM survived. It's now called the Corolla iM.

Corolla tC when?

>While the tC intially sold better with men, by 2007, most buyers of the tC were females who thought it was cute and ruined the cars reputation.
>The edgier second gen was squared off more as a result in an attempt to scare off female buyers. This is why the second gen was so aggressive looking.

/r9k/ if it was a car brand

>FUCKING ROASTIES GET THE FUCK OFF MY CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

I wish my car was named Celica every day.

You mean Celica.

So someone talk me out of a CPO tC now that nobody wants them anymore.

I want to buy one too. They're cheap for what you get.

They go for really cheap around me on CL...I'd do it.

Actually, given what you get for them, and the reliability factor, these should be recommended more...

Yeah, they are fantastic cars desu.

The tC is truly underrated.

just avoid 2005-2010 first gen cars. The quality was shit and the 2.4L engine had oil consumption issues.

2011+ cars with the 2.5L fixed every single problem and then some. It's by far one of the best coupes of the last 10 years under 20k

related videos.
first gen tC;
youtube.com/watch?v=heJFH_wzXpo

second gen tC:
youtube.com/watch?v=e5yjsEevoOQ
youtube.com/watch?v=UMHSO-X2Y9k

iA and iM:
youtube.com/watch?v=69vo0lzOWs0

second gen xB
youtube.com/watch?v=Q3m01g6dFx0

xD:
youtube.com/watch?v=X0HesHeTImM

iQ:
youtube.com/watch?v=viqyywyrztM

FR-S:
youtube.com/watch?v=MbLEmqyRM_U

xA:
youtube.com/watch?v=jHMF7T3L3zQ

first gen xB
youtube.com/watch?v=N3o-b_9BE0U

bump

hearty kek

Get one. In 5 years, it will lose the girly stigma, and all the boyracers will be begging to have it.
>easy as fuck to work on
>good sound system
>really attractive wheels
>thick racing steering wheel
>hatchback with folding seats
>Camry engine in a much lighter car
>spoiler sun roof with a moon roof behind it.
The downsides are weight and build quality, but there are ways to drop weight, and who cares about build quality at its price.

Ummm...... the frs doesn't count because it's a subaru

THIS! I can't stand how much people hate on all tC's because the first gen was shit. The second gens are fantastic cars.

What brand dis?

Good posts, lad

yep

I'm 21 but same

Same desu senpai. Would it be tacky to rebadge it as a Toyota celica?

I personally don't think so. Celicas for years used the Corolla chassis with better suspension and Camry engines. Right up until that last gen which said "fuck the Camry engine. We now have a Corolla engine built by Yamaha". And then the tC came along and back to the Camry engine it went.
Shame about the 2.4L though.

The fact that Toyota has yet to build a proper 1st gen xB successor confounds me.

The xD comes closest

After my xB got totaled, there's nothing I want more than a rerelease/true successor. My tC is fun, but god I loved the box more than I'll love my first child. The cult following is real.

Why didn't Scion just make a rwd 2d corolla to START with instead of the tC?

Need For Speed: Underground

same story different manufacturer. same with the Mitsubishi Eclipse. your average straight out of high school car guy isn't going to buy a car that's associated with hair dressers, and fags, regardless if the car is actually good or not. and unlike Mazda and Mitsubishi, Scion was built around the concept so there popularity with the unintended market killed there reputation with the intended one.

sales.

Trips deliver truth for the millionth time this year.
/Thread

>some millenials are nearing 30

We need more cars like the first xB.
Just look at this thing. It's full of fucking personality.

>What was the point of this brand?
Getting rammed off the road at 90mph

Getting run off the road at 90mph

My sister bought a manual xB. Super comfy car, seats are amazing, smooth driving all around.

Getting run off the road at 90mph.

kek

Currently posting this from inensive care
>Be riding with a friend in his scion
>Pulls through a light after it turns red
>Some guy honks his horn because he almost ran into us
>My friend tells me to flip him the bird so I do (He's a scion driver he knows what he's doing)
>Guy we cut off pulls up next to us
>I look over and see his rage filled bloodshot eyes, tears streaming down his face like pic related
>lane merges up ahead
>Friend tries to speed up to get ahead but the mad man baby is pacing us
>Friend floors it at the last minute
>RipTraction.jpg
>Slide down a hill into a tree going around 90 mph
>Friend gets pancaked, my left leg is crushed from the impact
>Rushed to hospital, told I'll never walk again

I hope it was worth it to that guy.

kek'd

Mazda 3

>b me on intensive care
>just got told i'll never walk again
>quickly as possible reply to bait thread on Veeky Forums

gr8 b8 m8

see:

Thanks man, It's nice to find a nugget of gold in the constant stream of feces that is this board.

Get fucked. This all happeend for taking the red light retard.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiLL

bump

are you in no doubt aware about this thread here
I mean this is from the other dude's point of view, the other driver