I'm considering getting an STI, but I'm thinking about deleting the wing. Is that a sin?

I'm considering getting an STI, but I'm thinking about deleting the wing. Is that a sin?

It's a functional wing but people take them off and sell them easy

I think they are available with a lip spoiler as well.

I for one would keep the wing. They look better with the spoiler braces.

At what speed is it functional? I won't drive it more than 80 mph on the highway.

shame because they're only functional at 150mph

The STi Limited is available with the same lip spoiler as a WRX.

That car is not for you then.
You can order a sti appearance package with it

>That car is not for you then.
Why?

why buy something that fast if you're only going to go 80 on the highway

buy a civic or a corolla, and stick to automatic you fuckin retard

You're the reason why Subaru has gone soft and slow.

I mean, you could get it without the wing. Or you could realize you just want a WRX.

Why? The new wings look great - much better than the old rectangle.

I have the means. And don't pretend you're ever going above highway speeds for any meaningful length of time.

So I shouldn't get the STI because it's slow?

I've considered the WRX, but I have the disposable cash to upgrade.

I don't really like the look of them, and if they're not functional unless way above highway speeds, I don't see a reason to have one. And I'm not concerned about resale.

Dude just order an sti without spoiler or if you must get used find a good bodyshop to swap trunks with someone with wrx (alot of wrx owners will swap you)

No, you shouldn't get it because it's NOT slow. If you're not going to do over 80 in it anyway, why own it? Why own a near-sport-built car if you're not going to appreciate how sporty it is by putting it through its paces?
Save your disposable cash for something else, otherwise more of it will start to disappear into maintenance of a vehicle you don't actually drive like it's meant to be driven.

>STi
>not slow
Maybe in 2004.

2004 was 300hp
2017 is at 305 now
>305 hp is slow

>I won't drive it more than 80

why buy an STI then, bitch. if you insist on just being a showboater then get a WRX

Now post the curb weights furry faggot.

04 curb: 3,263 lbs
17 curb: 3,391 lbs

Yeah it's got a little junk in the trunk but uts still fast

Yeah bro everyone should just buy corollas . Fuck sports cars

Maybe to a loser like you and OP

In 2004 it was quick relative to other cars. In 2017 relative to other cars it's slow as shit.

STi's aren't sports cars.

Lel I drive new sti's everyday and get to fix them for a living. Shouldn't you be getting back to your grocery bagger job?
Subjective

Most new cars don't have 300hp

I'd like to but these damn STIs keep trying to race brotrucks and keep losing.

Ok

Lol an sti wouldn't lose to a 6 thousand pound or more truck.

They're all driven by retards like OP that's too afraid to go over 80. I'm hard pressed to find a Subaru driver willing to go the speed limit.

I mean I wouldn't. Maybe on the highway since they only get 21 highway. Keep that bitch in SI-drive with "AUTO" on the DCCD controls. Gotta get Max em pee gees

I've pushed a built Legacy to 130 on open highways, the rear end really starts to feel loose, lemme tell you.

Just buy a limited STi then.

Mine came without a wing and then I put one on it.

>b...but you don't NEED it

Fuck off Euroshit.

At around 40k the sti at this point is getting beat around the track by it's competition routinely.
I grew up playing vidya in the 90s hoping beyond hopes the type r would come stateside. The car just isn't what it once was. The world's kept turning, meanwhile SWRT is dead nearly a decade and it shows.
They're stuck with the EJ because the FA can't eat any more boost without leaning out.

I know a guy that has a STI

> I'm pretty sure it's just a rebadged STD

I'm pretty sure the new stis have a wingless option (evo did it first tho kek)
I'm not a big fan of the wing either so that's what I've got my eye on

A lot of STIs around here are wingless. They look dumb.
That's my opinion, I like big wings.

It would be a sin in my book, but it would bring up your fuel economy.

Man, it really does need that wing, doesn't it? Looks a bit silly without it

The whole point of an STi is to have a big obnoxious wing.

>They're all driven by retards like OP that's too afraid to go over 80
Who says I'm afraid? I'm realistic.

No wing is way better, IMO. You end up with a sleeper-esque car that doesn't scream "boyracer" everywhere it goes.

The wing is also barely functional. You get like... 80lbs of downforce at 100mph or something stupid. It's not even well made - the thing wobbles and flexes and shit. There are companies that sell aftermarket parts to secure the wing!

You're essentially only getting minor downforce benefits on highway pulls, which isn't even something that the STI is meant to do - the whole point of having a fancy AWD system is to maintain traction and blast through a technical course at max speed.

Hell it's fucking part of the name: Subaru Tecnica international.

Limited STi's come with the option of having the lip spoiler instead because it's supposed to be the slightly classier vehicle. The base is what you get if you just want a pure performance base car for fucking with.

In any case, to each their own. That's the reason why swapping trunks is a thing - wannabe's with WRX's trade to get the wing so they can play pretend while other guys who just want a nice performance car trade it away.

a car without a spoiler/wing actually makes you faster on straights

Are non STI WRXs still fast/considered sports cars?

>tfw wish the WRX didn't require hood scoop or rear wing
>just want an unassuming wolf in sheep's clothing, manual, AWD sedan with 240+ HP
>this doesn't exist outside of luxury segments (Audi A4, M3), which are $40k+

God damn it, Subaru. Just give the regular Impreza some more power. 152 HP?? What were they thinking?

>sitting in a school dropoff lane with a hoodscoop and a rear wing

A regular Impreza with 240 HP would be the perfect "dad-enthusiast" car. Unassuming yet sporty. Now I have to give the SJWs over at VAG 40 grand of my money (along with 10 years of overpriced maintenance) for a half decent daily driver with my rather basic requirements. OR I can look like a fast and the furious wannabe in a hideous WRX. Life is suffering.

The wrx stock already looks like a sleeper, my dude. Even the Camry looks "sportier" . I personally like it this way

STIs got pigfat after the GC's. You got 20 extra horsepower, but 500lbs of added weight and no forged pistons in the USDM STI's starting with the GD's. GC's still win stock for stock, which is kind of weird.

>The wrx stock already looks like a sleeper, my dude

Not with that hood scoop. Damn you, TMIC!

Gas is expensive and STIs rev pretty high on the freeway.

>Mod for FMIC
>Replace hood with a base model Impreza's

Still cheaper than an Audi of comparable power.
The hoodscoop is classic WRX though, I don't know why you wouldn't want it. Removing it would be like eating unsalted popcorn.

>This logic
>On Veeky Forums

You little fucker shitpost about the Vette and gtr yet you'll never own either, while you still post that garbage

Does no wing = better gas mileage?

I think it already fits the bill with the current generation.The hood scoop doesn't stick out nearly as much as it used to because now it fits the contour of the hood. You get a darker colored WRX or STI and you sometimes end up forgetting that it's even there.

Yup, at least 1mpg on the freeway if not 2 = that wing causes a significant amount of drag at highway speeds.

Rally car makes more sense.

NJ police officers are dicks, man. Those wings are magnets.

An older model Evo would fit this description, if you can wing a coup then a golf?

No. The wings look fucking stoopid.

Take the badges off as well.

I'm still breaking mine in so I haven't cracked 4K yet but it's certainly not slow

>wish the WRX didn't require hood scoop or rear wing
A lot of the WRX I see doing 10s and 9s at drag strips don't have the wing. As for the scoop just go for the lowest trim, usually the smallest.

Seeing as it's not an off-road car, no. It's a ports car.

**sports

Its 150 kmph not mph you fucking sperg

>take the wing off
>"Hey user, my mom drives a Camry too!"

No wing for me. They are gey.
Shit I didnt last 500ks but only WOT it once during break in.

An Impreza is not a sports car. It has too many doors and too many seats.

>deleting the wing
Why would you take off the only thing that makes it even remotely interesting aesthetically?

Yes. ;)

>ports car

Yeah that looks like aids.

I guess you're not aware that the Legacy exists

What you want is basically a Legacy GT Spec-B.
Only thing is it has a hood scoop.

>Legacy Sedan
>243BHP, 241 Ft/lbs of torque.

Plus the 4th gen Legacy is just plain fucking sexy.

I think it's ugly.

>>Debadging a car

>>ever

Fastest way to hit ricer status.

>>explain
I debadged my gen1 mazdaspeed3 for maximum sleeper trolling.
I would argue there's nothing rice about it, looks better too.

Is the WRX not good enough for you? Why do you need STI?

Also how is the WRX as a daily driver commute? I don't think I would enjoy it from my Audi A4. doesn't seem comfortable for 40-60 min commute in traffic

I mean, define comfort?

If comfort means you have to have the most quiet you can while you're listening to orchestral scores and sipping your morning coffee while you navigate through traffic by modulating the brake pedal, then you should've bought a Lexus.

For moderate traffic it's comfortable enough for me - but my priorities may be different since I drive stick through Chicago.

Every car ever has badging - it's normal and expected. People that de-badge their cars look like they're struggling to be different somehow, and in a really weird way that doesn't make a lot of sense.

You say "sleeper", but by de-badging you're automatically giving away that your car isn't normal - or at least you're broadcasting that you yourself don't consider it normal. That's the opposite effect of being a sleeper.

Because of the fact that your car is also going to be among the very few that don't have any badging, you're also basically saying "Look at me! I'm not like you!" by removing the logos that tell other people what your car is.

Put another way it's like that one kid who wears sunglasses, fedoras, and/or trenchcoats for no reason sometimes and never says anything. They're trying to get attention from their peers and announce their existence to the world... by pretending to be mysterious and aloof.

And THAT is the impression that everyone who isn't a ricer gets when they see your de-badged car.

If you are buying the STI for looks, get a wrx. The 5 speed isn't as reliable as the 6 speed for launches, but if you arent launching it....

I would do some research on the ej25 engines. Depengind on how you modify it, it could prove to be EXPENSIVE AS FUCK. If you check the oil at least twice a week and keep it stock, it should last you at least 150k miles. However if you are going to autocross you should upgrade the oiling system (killer B oil pickup/baffles/windage tray) and make sure there is no cat BEFORE the turbo (uppipe)

STIs are not cheap. Turbo cars are not reliable. I would look into the fa20 WRX if you are a fan of subaru.

Unless you plan to do spirited driving the WRX is more than enough for you. Only get an STI if you have an extra 15-20k to get good tires, clutch, cobb ap, exhaust, fuel pump, injectors, etc.

I have a legacy GT and the only thing I dont like about it is the plastic intake manifold, plastic tmic end caps, and the 5 speed.

Theres a 2008 spec.b for sale with a built engine and air suspension on legacygt forums for ~20k. I was also featured on youtube by "gears and gas" or something like that. Just search up "big turbo spec b" and it will come up. Its the beautiful red one.

Also wanted sti but the wing blocked me.
Im not from burgerland where its ok to be a gay queer faggot ricecuck
Thus its not ok for me to drive around like a dense faggot

What car would a minimal faggot such as yourself drive?