BASED MAZDA

>Mazda’s next-generation SkyActiv petrol engine is expected to slash fuel consumption figures by another 30 per cent by ditching spark plugs.

>Based on current estimates, the new engine in the Mazda3 will be able to deliver a fuel consumption figure that is close to 3.3L/100km. By comparison, the best official combined figure achieved by the current 3 is 5.7L/100km, while even the Toyota Prius carries a 3.4L/100km rating.

>Mazda’s engineers has also hinted that HCCI combustion serves as a key development to enable the return of the rotary engine.

carsguide.com.au/car-news/2018-mazda-3-to-use-compression-ignition-for-30-per-cent-efficiency-boost-report-50373

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DKWA7QlitiU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How can one humble Japanese automaker be so goddamn based?

>tfw you own a Mazda

>blah, blah, blah
>return of the rotary engine

So they built a petrol engine that works like a diesel? Essentially forced pinking?

Nahh, given how more volatile petrol is compared to diesel, I'm predicting an engine highly sensitive to octane ratings.

>will wear fast as fuck

So they are bringing the rotary back, only with none of the benefits.

runaway petrol engines?
kek

>3.3L/100km
isn't that pretty normal for a econobox?

I would love a Mazda, but I'm attached to my commodores.
No, isn't that more motorbike territory?

Litres are in 8l/100, 250s and alike are indeed about 3

No. Unless super eco driving via hybrid

It is for some yuro econoboxes. Mostly diesel though. A vw polo 1.2 tdi, or meme french business lease diesels are capable or getting that mileage

Also forgot the obvious vw lupo 3L. A buddy of mine has a diesel volvo c30, no dpf or that kind of crap. The regeneration meme
>HURR DURR let's throw extra fuel at the filter so it'll burn itself clean, except for minerals of course which clog up the filter anyway
Takes alot of fuel and bring mileage down

VAG did that almost 20 years ago with the Lupo 3L and the Audi A2.
Both capable of 3l/100km or 100mpg.

>compression-ignition
Ive been waiting for this shit for a while now. Hope it works out well.

Weren't they trying to use fucking lasers for a while?

Isn't that diesel? Wait, have they figured out how to turn the rotary into a turbine engine?

ur and idiot

Dumbest post of the week goes to....

user! Congrats!

But, can it be turbocharged?

>Hey guys we're gonna give you this fucking amazing system
>it's variable compression ratios that increases the maximum efficiency of the motor
>We'll only put it on FWD boring vehicles with automatics

Nice reasoning there, you sure showed me

kill yourself my guy

cant wait for this + camless tech to combine into one god engine

>hcci
>usa
Yea nah. People are too stupid for this to work. They buy the shittiest gas and expect it to work.

>Get rental car
>They ask me to fill it back up before I bring it back since it was full when I got it
>fill it up with e85 and leave it
>it's not a flexfuel

Mazda knows that if we don't solve the fuel consumption problem driving won't be fun, that's why they are committed to make their engines the world's most fuel efficient.

How can one small company be so based, Veeky Forums?

maybe 3-cyl diesels, my mother's grandma-driven C4 gets around 5.4 l/100km

>>Mazda’s engineers has also hinted that HCCI combustion serves as a key development to enable the return of the rotary engine.

consumers dont give a flying fuck about fuel consumption. this is just some retarded liberal trash that got forced down their throats. we want quad rotary turbocharged fucking sub 1000kg fuckboxes to hoon around in, not some meme 1.6l ultra efficient engine that doesn't do fuck all.

god i hate this fucking company

>he's still hasn't realised camless is vaporware

Look friend, there isn't any way to solve the fuel consumption problem. If Mazda ever hits 3.3L/100km, CARB will demand its be even less. Eventually we'll have to start designing engines that MAKE fuel, and then they'll start setting standards for how much fuel they make.

You'll laugh, but you know CARB would be stupid enough.

>we
>consumers

>consumers dont care about fuel consumption
You wat?
>only my boyracer opinion matters
Ok then idiot

Mazda has a hybrid in japan getting 80mpg already.

based Mazda

ok tell me RIGHT NOW what Mazda I should buy RIGHT NOW

Bongo Friendee

>Curb weight 675kg

holy shit

erm...

less than $15k please lads

It burned about as quick as it revved

How so? Tech takes time, Mazda's gasoline compression ignition tech wasn't designed yesterday either and likely took years to develop.

euro mpg and american mpg are different because retarded difference in what constitutes a gallon

youtube.com/watch?v=DKWA7QlitiU

The camless idea has been around longer than HCCI but only Koenigsegg are really interested.
Which means it will never happen.

And? I still don't see how that follows.

On top of that, how do you know that Konigsegg is the only ones interested, or that there won't be any interest after he releases it, especially when he's already doing this for some Chinese customers?

2014 mazda3 5 door manual

i hope those engines make good power and sound good

>Mazda’s engineers has also hinted that HCCI combustion serves as a key development to enable the return of the rotary engine.

Throwaway clickbait line.
>hinted
>key development
>enable
All weasel words that prove nothing in this context. If you're writing an article on Mazda, you throw in the word 'rotary' so the fanboys click it.

>We'll only put it on FWD boring vehicles with automatics

MX-5 is the obvious counterexample. However, HCCI may well not be suited for it.

California seceding sounds better by the day.

other manufacturers have investigated it too and built prototypes but reckon the gains are not worth it.
hcci was prototyped first by mercedes and the whole ethos of making petrol engines with diesel characteristics is widely adopted now.
what this engine does is also a response to tightening european regulations on particulates due to urban air pollution regulations.
effectively it's a diesel engine that runs on petrol and thus meets particulates regulations without filtration.
that is incredibly relevant in the current regulatory landscape.
hybrids allow battery and motor tech to develop which is probably the ultimate end point.
what does camless tech bring to the table? anything besides marketing like vtec?

>other manufacturers have investigated it too and built prototypes but reckon the gains are not worth it.
referring to camless tech here

okay legit, good recommendation m8

gonna look into em, do you have one?

Well you can manage more than 2 valve profiles unlike vvt engines which means you can extract more power, in other words increase the efficiency of the motor. With increased efficiency you can reduce displacement and still achieve the same power levels. So there is an argument for FreeValve™ technology in the realm of economy and emissions

Lmso

May I point out that Mazda is the only major vehicle manufacturer that doesn't use hybrid electric fuckery? They have to make their gas engines efficient if they want to sell cars in the US without spending billions on useless technology that will never be ready for general release.

You mean CAFE. CARB has nothing to do with fuel economy. 99% of what CARB does is check to see if your parts all have the sticker that says the manufacturer paid a shitload of money for CARB to let them put the stickers on their parts.

Bae, with camless you can avoid:
-driving at least one shaft per cylinder bank
-pushing valve springs (yes, there's a recovery of that energy when the spring pushes the cam back on the way up, but it's obviously a net loss)
-compromise on camshaft profiles, since you can adapt the valve opening to the RPM/load to exact levels instead of settling for middle ground
-throttle bodies, and instead use the valves themselves as the means to restrict airflow into the cylinders. This reduces intake restriction, and improves volumetric/thermal efficiency (yes, there are systems that already run this with camshafts, although the camless system means it's a no-brainer to implement it)

Sure, there are reasons why system isn't used. Probably it isn't the most reliable, or it loses it's tune quickly, or it's prohibitively expensive, or all of the above, but it doesn't mean that the system isn't an ideal way to manage airflow into the cylinders

Mazda has to be one of the most pointless manufacturers around, BMW-tier unreliability but with none of the fun-to-drive perks.

Also their passenger row and trunk space are cramped as fuck.

>opposite of truth troll
Hello

Nice try opposite of truth troll.

It's true though. Just look at how the new Civic #BTFO the 3 so hard.

You can do that with cam actuated valves though.
FreeValve™ technology allows you to have some funky profiles that get you a 100rpm idle and 10,000rpm top end - neither of which matter much these days.

Stay wrong, retard.

Dont reply to trolls

I am not denying the theoretical advantage of camless valve actuation. I just think the gains are too small for too much cost when all it does is keep the ICE from it's deathbed for 5 more years.
Systems like valvetronic and valvematic give 90% of the benefits of freevalve anyway.

Sure, it's a small advantage, yet look at things today: turbocharger compressor wheels are made from billet, despite being more expensive. Catalytic converters are shoved into the exhaust manifolds to get quick light-off time at the expense of their durability. Every little thing that can be improved and tweaked is adjusted as the technology becomes cheaper and more accessible

Also, you can be damn sure I will hang on to everything, if it means I can drive myself when I want/need to

To hell with having to stop every few hours on my regular 600 mile highway trips to give the plug-mobile a 30-minute electric enema to keep the batteries charged, I want to keep my car/truck with a big-ass fuel tank and make it to my destination within the day, thank you very much

It's not fair, m8s ;_;

Buy a huge plot of land in a flyover state and grow your own biofuel, pretty much indefinitely renewable

Actually Mazda have said in the past that they were looking at laser ignition for the rotary so this seems like a logical step

Ford Probe with KLZE swap, Megasquirt, turbo/n2o. Steel wheels from the 4-cyl base model with Walmart hubcaps

laugh at hondafags who can't seem to figure out what you drive and why they can't keep up

WANKel

>isn't that pretty normal for a econobox?
It isn't. My Peugeot 206 can go as low as 3,5 if I drive like a grandpa and this is an extremely economic car.

>slash fuel consumption figures by another 30 per cent by ditching spark plugs.
What's the big deal? If I ditched my sparkplugs it would slash fuel consumption by 100 per cent.

My peugeot 106 wastes like 8 l/100km

>HCCI meme
fiat supposedly reduced fuel consumption in its new diesels by 20%, while simultaneously making them compliant with Euro 6 and "Real emissions".
without using SCR

lower octane gas my be actually beneficial

>Well you can manage more than 2 valve profiles unlike vvt
Multiair was able to "use" infinite valve profiles (within cam boundary) like 7 years ago. sure it was intake only but still...

dont hurt my feelings more...

So it's a diesel that runs on petrol?

RX-8, but only a facelifted one that's had a meticulous maintenance history and the apex seals replaced if it's over 70k

>Veeky Forums being so ignorant of thermodynamic cycles
TRIGGERED

>recommending the PGT over the MX-6

FOR SHAME
SHAME

Multiair is a really impressive technology, the problem with it is that in order for it to work, the solenoid needs to be switched on and off in order to vary the time it takes the valve to close/open. That's a pain in the ass to manage.

With electronically controlled valves it is much simpler to control this since you just tell the electric valve actuator to open "x" amount. It's a further simplification of the Multiair system, if you'd like to think of it that way. Also, a system like this would mean that for a tuner, they'd have complete control over the valves and thus be able to make any changes they want to the valve profiles pretty much on the fly, since the electronic valve actuators are a simpler system.

>the solenoid needs to be switched on and off in order to vary the time it takes the valve to close/open
[citation needed]

>you just tell the electric valve actuator to open "x" amount
but this what this system is actually able to do. opening (partialy) intake valves two times during one "stroke"

D E V I L I SH

Not that user, but I imagine Multi-Air works the same way VTEC works and that's how it works as well for GM, Ford, and pretty much anyone else deploying a variable valve timing technology

Another user here, giving some friendly reminders

Multiair is cool and all, but you still have the losses from having to turn shafts, fighting against springs, and then there's the issue of how impressively complex, finicky, and troublesome they are. Heck, even at Alfaowner they have a bit of a reputation for failing...

Captcha: ahead endurance
How incredibly ironic

You madman

>but you still have the losses from having to turn shafts, fighting against springs,
with valves opened by solenoids. you would have waste energy not only on opening valves but also to close them.
and good fucking luck with that using low voltage electrical system permanently stuck in 1930s.

> then there's the issue of how impressively complex, finicky
it's literally a pressure release valve

>finicky
well, true. the simpler in principle something is, the more effort it takes control it. (i.e scramjet)

>and troublesome they are. Heck, even at Alfaowner they have a bit of a reputation for failing...
mostly because people had to big oil change intervals (15,000 - 18,000 miles (!) ) , "forgot" to check oil / used incorrect oil or haven't replaced another - smaller - oil filter.
and that's with engine that requires oil to open valves even for 1 cycle

Kek

Opening the intake valve isn't too bad: a valve which has a vacuum on one side and positive pressure on the other isn't too bad. Exhaust can be nasty, sure, although the "wasted" energy of ONLY accelerating the valves repeatedly is better than that, PLUS having to turn a shaft at high RPMs. And personally I wouldn't expect any of that to be achieved with 24v, let alone 12v...now the freevalve system does make a bit more sense in that, using air to control things instead of making everything dependent on small electric niggas

>a pressure release valve
One that likes to fail, often. Nevermind the fucking dumb 15k miles oil changes (worth noting: some owners didn't trust that, and halved the interval, and still had their system fail within 3 years or less), even though I'd say 8 thousand miles for an oil change is too much for a system like that, it's a delicate piece of equipment that doesn't hold up well to the test of time. Do oil changes every 5k miles, and you get...6 years? out of the thing

Had an acquaintance with one of those Multiair engines. Boi changed the oil every 2.5k miles because he was terrified of "cooking the oil" in our 38°C temps, despite him never doing anything but commuting and whatnot in his MiTo. Still fucked the thing at 4 years and like 47k miles. Then he got a BMW
He's...a bit slow

the numbers koenigsegg are coming out with are 30 % better fuel economy and around the same increase in power.

literally think about having infinite control over the valve to the smallest margin.

last i heard they partnered with a local bus company for working prototypes. I wouldn't be surprised if the next koenigsegg has camless tech

If 12v isn't enough, a small coil for each valve solenoid like what the ignition system uses would probably do the trick.

I really hope that fuel efficient spark plug less rotary engines happen, because they'd be perfect range extenders for a mostly electric car.

Just adapt an air-cooled (for cheep and lightweight), two-piston (horizontally opposed for maximized air cooling) common-rail direct injection diesel generator (which are already optimized to work at a very limited range of RPMs) with a compression ratio of, say, 23:1 for extracting the most out of every bit of that precious dinosaur juice

Plug it to the energy system so it provides pixies to the battery packs. May not charge the battery completely, but it's doing something in not making you have to give the car an electric enema every few hours

Protege5 Sport20/323 SP20/Familia Sport20/Mazdaspeed Protege etc.

>compression ignition
I'd assume this carries the same risks of dieseling as a, well, diesel? variable valve timing should help limit that, but I just can't get the thought of a runaway 11k RPM Dorito out of my head

Not necessarily. It's a lot easier to ignite gasoline or alcohol than diesel or motor oil, so it's possible that it can't compression ignite oil sucked through failed seals. We don't have enough information to make an educated guess either way, though. It's kind of a moot point though, considering how many people own turbodiesels despite the tiny chance of a runaway. It's unlikely that any meaningful number of people will care.

A runaway dorito wouldn't last very long.
Theoretically, a wankel can rev up to 11k. Problem is the cooling. The seals would heat up to a point where they become soft and bend.

oh gawd
>fast & furious masturbation