Software/ App Development Part Time

Anyone do App Development or Software Development Part Time?

I am going to start a job in Finance which is ok pay (63k a year with 5k starting bonus in NYC), but I won't be working crazy hours so I want to be able to do some App Development on the side.

Coming out of school I will have some experience developing apps as I am also an IT major, so I won't have to learn from the ground up. Granted, there is still work I need to do in order to be marketable.

Other urls found in this thread:

hotframeworks.com/
monster.com/jobs/q-computer-programmer-jobs.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

how did you get that job?

I also (will) have degrees in Finance and Econ. Triple Major (Finance Econ and IT). I took on the IT major as a side interest and really found it interesting, however my skills were not developed enough to land a job in the field before the school year was over. Next semester I will be taking most of my IT courses.

Got the job through networking with alumni and knowing my shit about finance

What / how many apps have you made? How long is it taking you to graduate with 3 majors?

do a lookup for programming jobs and search for the most in-demand framework there is and study it.

Created my first one this semester, will be creating at least one more next semester. One is for an independent study. First one was simple, planning on this second one to be more complex.

It is only taking me four years. AP counted for many of my gen eds, and my econ/ finance classes overlapped too.

Def would need to learn some more before trying to professionally app develop, even after school.

Already studying ASP.NET, according to hotframeworks.com/

it is pretty in demand, though I am not sure where exactly more rankings would be

by job demand
this one could just be popularity

How would I check this? Job lisitngs?

I run a software agency on the side. We just started, got a good partner and work has been ok so far.

C# is good for corporate work. Big, enterprise software.

If you're making your own shit on the side, do it in Node.js and work with another Javascript guy.

monster.com/jobs/q-computer-programmer-jobs.aspx

Also, look at the Ionic platform. If you got something simple to make anyone to crank it out fast for both Android and iOS, use Ionic. Its a HTML5 hybrid Angular.js/cordova framework.

C# is exactly what I am learning. Might also learn Swift next semester. How is the Software agency going? How many hours a week do you commit to it?

Will it make the hybrid app kind of janky though?

>$63k/year
>In NYC
>ok pay

you're fucking delusional and also accepted a shit offer.

Accepted an offer getting my foot in at a big bank in NYC. Gonna have to be poor for a bit but its about the long game.

Sorry I didn't go to an Ivy League school and have 3 six digit offers lined up like you do right? That's why you are shitting on people on a Cambodian Finger Painting Forum?

Besides the thread wasn't about my job

There's literally no money in Apps. 90% of apps never get even downloaded.

I wouldn't actually be the one trying to monetize. Mostly be contracted out by people who can't code but think they have an amazing app idea.

Then godspeed, there's countless idiot investors who will spend hundreds of thousands on "the next big thing" only to realize no one cares.

That's what I've come to realize. I really don't plan/ want to try to make the next Snapchat.

Just want to get some side money

you are greedy. your kind usually end up homeless.

ironically, life usually never gives you what you most want.

90% of apps serve no real purpose or don't solve a problem.

there is money in apps if you make the right app.