Sup nigs

Sup nigs,

My dad just bought a brand new 2017 Audi A4 (blah blah blah new cars blah waste of money, I get the memo). It's absolutely fantastic but I was wondering if there was a way to enable quattro on it? Probably a dumb question but since they're so visually similar I thought they have the rear/middle diff required for AWD on all models, even the FWD ones.

He's giving me his old ass Bronco and I want to upgrade his car as a thank you. No hostility m8s, just asking

>he bought an overpriced VW
>a FWD one at that

No you can't. They don't just "turn it off". It's physically not there. What would they have to gain by just not enabling it?

Not having it there saves costs so more cucks like your dad can afford a VW shitbox.

I bet its automatic too.

U r dumb.

>Thinking they would include all the hardware necessary for AWD but not charge you for it

Lmao you're not too bright

Just make sure he sells it before the warranty runs out.

What the fuck

They'd gain not having to alter their entire fucking production line. Like I said I want to learn so don't be hostile you fucking niggers. You must feel so empowered posting beneath the veil of anonymosity

I know some Audis use identical floor pans between FWD and AWD models, so the AWD transmission and rear subframe swap right over. Not sure about the current gen, and you'd probably have to reprogram the computer using some piece of eye-wateringly expensive proprietary software anyway.

You'd also most likely void the warranty, which you're gonna need no any Audi.

Yeah sure, Audi just gives you a free torsen AWD system, they just knock the price down and "turn it off"

The hardware for AWD is way more expensive than whatever minor savings they would have by not needing to change their production line.

>anonymosity

>They'd gain not having to alter their entire fucking production line.
Fuck sake how old are. Do you think every different trim line of a car has a different production line? What parts get added and which ones don't doesn't alter the production line at all.

>they put diffs and a driveshaft on FWD models

IF it has all of the hardware for AWD, and it somehow isn't AWD, then all they did was disconnect the central diff.

However, I'm calling serious bullshit. There's no way that in this age of fuel-economy-above-all-else they put an extra 600 pounds of bullshit in the car and then just "didn't use it"

to swap to AWD, you need:
Transmission
prop shaft
entire rear suspension
ECU/BCU bullshit

Its more expensive and more trouble than it's worth. For the price of the conversion, your dad could sell the Audi, and buy another one with AWD.

This, IF the floor pans are even the same between FWD and AWD models.
If they're not, you'd have to cut out the floor pan andweld in the floor pan from the AWD version.

>how do i enable quattro on my new audi

>blah blah blah new cars blah waste of money, I get the memo

>if there was a way to enable quattro

Kek, just leave before you wake up scotty.

just leave

Wow that's some concentrated toxicity right there. Fuck off cunts

kys faggot, go undesteer your aufdi into a tree

did we hurt your little boy feelings?

T. Overpriced VW owner who bought the shittest version possible of the A4

Durrr what is logic? I dunno man.

His question is completely valid from a production standpoint for someone who doesn't know about cars specifically.
It's actually very common practice to manufacture the same exact product and then purposefully nerf part of it's performance to make "lower end" models to sell at a lower price point.
As an example, AMD did this with it's Phemon 3 core processors, which were actually identical to their quad core Phenoms with one core disabled.
Of course, it's different with cars because we're talking about a lot more expensive parts which justifies separate production lines and it's in an application where weight saving is important.

I read an anecdote in an old car mag about some guy ordering an older Jeep or something, unless you payed for visor mirrors you'd get "regular" visors - turns out they're both identical, if you spent the extra cash they simply cut the material to reveal the mirror underneath

Except even in the case of the Phenom 3 core processors, the ones that were sold as quad cores were binned differently and would be more stable than an unlocked 3 core. I owned both a X4 and an X3 and trust me, loading up that fourth core made the thing shit the bed often

Yeah because they won't sell a quad core as a triple core if all cores work properly.

They disable a core most of the time because something is wrong with it.

Exactly. So even though it can work as a quad core in theory, in practice it doesn't work.

Going back to cars, it's like if the car comes with a shit stereo, but it uses the same plug as the good stereo.
Sure you can throw it in there and it'll work, but you're not getting better sound without the extra speakers and amps that are usually included when you option in the nice stereo.

The non quattro A4 can in theory be fitted with the missing parts to turn it into a quattro, since the basic design of the car is the same. However, at that point the expense and difficulty is such that it isn't worth it.

In conclusion, yeah you can probably turn a FWD A4 into a quattro, it'll just be a pain in the dick, expensive, and dumb. And chances are it wont work properly anyways.

>since they're so visually similar I thought they have the rear/middle diff required for AWD on all models, even the FWD ones.

holy fucking shit

Kill yourself, retard.
>How do I enable the AWD on my FWD Audi
>No hostility m8s, just asking
Stop and think for a fucking second before asking dumb shit you useless twat. This board gets one Audi post a week and you decide to waste it being a retard. Thanks.

>mother of a friend of mine buys new A4
>fucker has wheelspin even on dry road when you launch it from a traffic light with not even full throttle

They were in an older A4 but it was for only like two years of production

>autistic rage: the post

Wow you totally made OP seem like the winner here

>dumb naive kid asks honest but retarded question
>400 lb sperglord living in moms basement cant comprehend that not everybody spends 17 hours a day shitposting on Veeky Forums and throws a bitchfit in reaction

nobody is the winner here

So do you want to learn or do you want to be told you are right and it's possible?

For a moment I forgot they let kids drive cars in Dumberica, how foolish of me to expect this board to have critical thinking adults who would know that AWD isn't an optional extra like Bluetooth that can be "just turned on".

OP is a retarded faggot who wasted precious internet bytes asking how he can turn on AWD on the car his daddy bought him. People have a right to get mad at something as utterly retarded as that.

im neither the kid nor the sperglord, but god fucking damnit, if you actually think audi gives out two diffs and the whole 4wd infrastructure for free, just goddamn. this is really insanely stupid

>to have critical thinking adults
OP is obviously a kid, and judging by your uncontrollable whining, you are too

>People have a right to get mad at something as utterly retarded as that.
Sure you do, but is this REALLY the thing you want to instantly fly into an asperger driven rage over? lol there must be more important things to spend your energy on

>implying the average kid has any idea what a differential costs or how it even works
We get 5 threads a day with some kid asking how to turbo his chevy cruze, where the hell do you think you are? this isn't exactly a board for intellectuals

>this isn't exactly a board for intellectuals

This sums up most threads on Veeky Forums desu

well you aren't for sure

>this isn't a board for intellectuals
I see why you're here.

HEY HOW DO I TURN ON MY TURBO?!?!? IS THERE A BUTTON?!? PLS NO BULLY DADDY BOUGHT ME A CAR AND I'M NOT SELF SUFFICIENT ENOUGH TO THINK FOR MYSELF PLS HELP I WANT TO SMOKE JIMMY WHEN WE GO HOONING AT A PARKING LOT SO HOW DO I TURN ON MY TURBO IN MY CAR?!?!? THANK YOU REDDIT CHAN YOU'RE MY ONLY FRIEND