Generators and other useful resources
pastebin.com/aeg28Ktm (embed)
[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
yanfly.moe/
[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List
Collection of old RPGM games
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz0L3Pxrc8tqfnB1dFhTZHZwSV91cW1KMW9wcUM2WHhwSFFFMUVJX0pEYVExMndNLWtXbGs&usp=sharing

The /rpgmg/ podcast:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A

/rpgmg/ Chain/Collaboration Game!
Currently working:
Bubbles !u696zUYxpM
Version 13B: mediafire.com/download/89tsrb5ka31g36h/rpgmgcollab_v13B.zip

Latest SteelZeroes Demo!
mediafire.com/?7j353lkhfpnnx27

Tomb of Friends demo pep.itch.io/tomb-of-friends-demo

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!g0EQ3LBC!fFFSWodG97equt5-r9V9XcX1rRLIgbg85Pj898E1woA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

plz help

Please play it before reading these rules and tell me how you do. Then read the rules for spellcasting.

mega.nz/#!g0EQ3LBC!fFFSWodG97equt5-r9V9XcX1rRLIgbg85Pj898E1woA

To explain combat:
In order to use a Spell wih release you must first "Channel" a "Symbol" (Mantra maybe?) .The spell you "Release" depends on the "Symbols" you have Channeled,
You start out knowing only 1 "Symbol", but you get more the more as you level up.
When you "Channel" something, you also get a defense boost. Arast and Uman raise your Defense. Eth and Ophir raise your Magical Defense.
All spells cost 10 MP to cast. All characters and enemies have 10 MP. Spells and the basic attack deal 10 extra damage if you have 0 MP (you just attacked). so it is best to wait until the enemy uses a Spell before launching your own.. Maybe I should make it so the damage reduction is MP*Luck so it is better scaled for llater fights?
The basic attack costs no MP and is instantaneous, but recovers no MP either. Maybe I should also give it some extra power boost if you have "Channeled" something? I am afraid it might become better than the Released spells because it doesn't consume your "Symbols"ยท
For now you recover HP by walking on the Red Carpet, but in the final game you'd recover HP at the end of each battle.

Not implemented yet:
All enemies look the same at the start of the battle, but they might reveal themselves if you hit them with the default attack, or use one of the spells that reveal identities.

Is it fun?

Any suggestions to improve it? Should I forget about the "enemies are initially hidden" stuff and focus on the predictions? Should I instead use the transformations to focus on the predictions? Should the "rewards" for guessing the opponent's moves be greater? What could I do to help the player understand the system?

What does this system "feel" like? I don't really have a story for it yet. I had thought about demons, fairies and robots.

And if you think the idea for the combat system is bad just tell me. I have other concepts to work on, so if this is the worst, I might as well continue with some other projects.

Also, while I am not sure about the "Hidden Enemies" myself, the Physical Attack becomes a tad bit useless without it.

Considering donating $5 to check out Yanfly's sample project. How is it? And will it work properly on version 1.3.0?

The stuff in the Season 4 Pass isn't showing up in MV? Why?

bump

;_;

About to leave for work but I'll try it out this evening

Stop dying while I'm not home thread-chan

>Release Ophir
>Nothing happens
Uh, okay.

I guess I can see it working for some sort of support character but I don't know if I would enjoy the entirety of the battle system like this.

Ophir gives them -25% offensive debuffs (and would transform them into their "real forms" if that was implemented yet) but it doesn't show up on the text box.

Or did it say something like "Failed Spell"?

>I guess I can see it working for some sort of support character but I don't know if I would enjoy the entirety of the battle system like this.
Well, the idea came from the Ninjutsu skills from Final Fantasy XIV, in which it is just one of several options available, but I thought I could turn it into a Rock-Paper-Scissors-esque system to make it more fun (Channel also works as a mini-block against Spells/Physical attacks if you are faster than the opponent, which you are in most cases). And that could only really be done if enemies use the same battle system as the player.

Maybe I should work on making that clearer.to the player? Like the enemies take different poses depending on what they just did? Or maybe I should work on making the differences in damage more meaningful?

Considering it's updated every week, I doubt the most recent versions will work on anything less than 1.3.4 or 1.3.3. Why not just update?

Also, do note that while I made all the enemies in the """"demo"""" attack at the same time (out of laziness, I guess), they would have different patterns in the actual game, which would make things a bit more... puzzley.

Should I try to release an example with the three enemy types having individual patterns?

Yeah, variety would be good.
Would the full game would have more partymembers with different "channels"?

>Want to make progress
>Can't stop playing Yakuza 0
Uh, it's for research

I am not sure, but there aren't any planned currently. Actually the issue is that I don't have much planned OTHER than the combat system.

At first I was going for a creepy story in which the enemies were demons that the protagonist would have to "exorcise", and I thought a single playable character would be best for that kind of story. But the combat engine feels considerably less creepy than I imagined, and the fact enemies would follow repetitive patterns makes me view them more as robots, golems or zombies than demons, and there is no reason why there couldn't be more characters in such a story.

The engine would require some retooling if I add an additional character, but it wouldn't be too difficult as long as they draft from the same pool of 5 Channels (actually, if I were to add more characters I would make them rely on Equipment so the player can customize things). Do you think that would spice things up?

Say 3 main characters, each of them starts out with a "relic" that lets them cast a single spell, then they find each other and learn that the relics can be combined to cast more powerful spells? Then they collect 10 "relics" and equip them to fight some villain? (there would need to be a twin for each symbol because gameplay).

Yeah more characters would allow for more depth.
The decisions in combat need to be meaningful especially if you can only do something every 2nd turn.
I think you are onto something and it could be really fun. Keep at it.

bump

Why are we dying so fast?
Quickly, talk about something.

Question. Are you confined to a specific number of tiles in a tileset?

>Question. Are you confined to a specific number of tiles in a tileset?
What do you mean?

Yes a tileset can only hold so many tiles, that is why I don't like using them.

Heck. Is the same number of tiles the RTP gives? I don't remember where I read you could increase them but it seems it wasn't meant to be.

What's your favorite character class?

Mathmatician or Blue Mage.

What's the class who blows a kiss?

>MFW my game will turn out to be probably 25-30 hours of gameplay.
>MFW I'm not sure if I'll ever finish
>MFW even if I do will it be any good? Will anyone care?

can u guys recommend some good, comfy RPG maker games?

I will care

OneShot is pretty good

How do you come up with names of characters?
Places are somewhat easy for me but characters aren't.

Does anyone know the Script Call command for Set Move Route in MV? Particularly, I'm after the Repeat = 'true' part of it.

I know how to do all the individual stuff inside the move route, like setting transparancy, change image, set opacity, and even the Route commands themselves, but doing so skips the Wait, Skip, and Repeat parts of the Set Move Route option.

And because this type of question is almost always met with "Well why bother with a Script Call at all? :^)", the reason is because I want to reference the events by variable instead of repeating the same code xx times for every possible enemy.

random name generators will get your creative juices flowing

one method that lots of game designers seem to use it mixing-and-matching names from real life people, e.g. Isaac Clarke from the ps3 game dead space (Isaac Asimove + Arthur C Clarke)

sometimes i take inspiration from people I knew in high school, as weird as that sounds. matching personalities. its all subjective

Geomancer

Five methods:
1. Steal them from characters in other media (Just try not to make it too obvious, like Mario, Cloud, or Neo)
2. Find names that match the character either through books... (Sophia = Smart)
3. ...or real life (Casey/Curt/Tyler = Assholes)
4. Random Name Generator (or Captcha, apparently)
5. Make shit up

I usually come up with rules, and then conform to the rules, to try to simulate language. So for pic related, it's a gendered root and suffix system. If you take the root Uri-, which would probably have some significant meaning in their language, you can make Uriel for a girl and Urien for a boy. Jatof- becomes Jatofi for a boy and Jatofa for a girl. It also gives me the wiggle room for a guy with the name Kanes or Bales to get quips like, "But isn't that a girl's name?"

It also works with my random npc generator I used for parts of the game. It rolls for a root, then adds the gendered suffix depending on their gender.

Dragoons are awesome. Especially when they have dragon related powers.

There's so much fine tuning that goes into making something that isn't absolute shit how does anyone ever actually finish making a game of any decent size?

By working hard and diligently

There are a couple of finished games out there. Most of us are in nodev denial.

Narrow your scope. Do one thing well. Now that you've mastered that one thing, you can apply it to everything else.

People don't learn to sing while playing guitar. They learn to sing, they learn to play guitar, they mesh the two together at some point, then they make magic.

True that. I played guitar for 3 years and couldn't sing at the same day. Then one day it just clicked. Life works in mysterious ways. You just have to be patient as well.

Use this for the next OP please. Not the guy who made it, though.
#!60dAnDqK!wjae7ieRU-AGXiU_WDLTxMnl7J-XtSG4V2QuOUBKuMk

How are you people liking your plots? Do you have something complex and intriguing or something just to keep the game moving?

I'm working on a game where the story is the most important part. So for the past few months I've been working on a storyboard almost daily.
I'm hoping to achieve a nice balance between nice/comfy and intriguing/interesting.
Hopefully at least one person will like it.

Does storyboarding actually help? I just write the skeleton of events extended far out into the game to make sure the occurrence of events are properly "in sync" with the story, but I mostly create the the details on the fly.

It does help me I would say, in my previous projects I was just winging it with little to no preparation. But these were more traditional games which didn't really need a storyboard either.
I just want to do everything right this time.

I'm confident about the beginning and the end, How to keep interest during the middle part is what's making me suffer.

I try to always have something happening more or less. Like I try to never have the player just plowing through a filler dungeon, mostly because one of my biggest weaknesses is dungeon design, but also because I'm too paranoid about telegraphing the idea that "what you're doing is just filler". Or to at least have whatever is happening have some measurable connection to the larger story arc.

from now only people with finished games can post in here.

Don't say that. The thread will die again.

See? It's on page 9 already.

Is it okay with you /rpgmg/? Are we really okay with letting our dear general die without a fight?

What do you guys like the most about your MCs?

He is allegorically me. Some events in game will likely be based on real life ones.

I've been toying around with the idea of making an RPG based in an age of post-space exploration, like a gritter Mass Effect scenario, but the resources for such a project just don't really exist

If they don't exist it's time to make them.

Share them here when you finish please.

Not him, but it's nice to have the main events written down. Then you just have to worry about stringing them together

share your rmdev success stories anons

I have a game the story of which I've been working on for over 13 years. I got about 3-4 game hours into development in RMXP, but decided to switch engines to VX Ace and effectively decided to dump about 3 years of work in the process.

Oh, wait. That's not a success story.

why the switch, scripts?

I thought I had it all planned out, but when it came time to write it out I'm having trouble getting just the basics how I wanted them

Same here, except 4 years and from VX Ace to MV.

Honestly, a huge part of game development to me is finding the right music. If an RPG doesn't have good enough music, I consider it to only be wasted potential, and RMXP has this irritating thing where it can't remember where in a song it was interrupted, so for example, entering a battle, winning, then re-entering the map would start the map music all over again and if it was a sufficiently complex piece of music, it pretty much ruined whatever was playing at the time - there's a work around for it in Ace, but not in RMXP. That was the "straw that broke the camel's back". Beyond that, Ace is just a better system. Less lag, more functionality, better in a lot of various ways.

Why the switch

I got suckered in by the "It can be ported to mobile" thing. Also because of the resolution.

Looking back I was such an idiot.

Well that actually sounds like a valid reason to swap imo. since I assume trying to script patch this functionality wasn't really feasible for you

Stop dying! Late night bump.

The closest you can get is to have it play in one audio channel, stop it, let the battle music play in the another channel, then resume play in the first channel, but it never worked and it was just a janky mess.

And besides, because of this thread, I decided to look back at the old project, and XP's presentation is just quite a bit poorer than Ace's in ways I didn't see before, but now are glaringly obvious.

But playing through it again after a couple years, I still think it's a compelling story, thankfully.

Since I've got some good progress on my world map tileset, it's time to start working on a cave tileset. Here's a WIP of a cave wall.

I want to hold the hand of your MC

Which one? The self-destructive outcast who ruins her own chances at happiness, or the timid one who doesn't know how to take initiative?

For a game intended to recover HP to full at the start of every fight, animations need to be faster. You need a way to quickly burn through both sides' resources so that random battles don't turn into slogs.

If enemies use predictable patterns, what variety do random battles give? Since you recover to full after every fight, is it only the enemy selection? What if a player has already fought every iteration multiple times, would there still be a "point" to the random battles?

I feel that one action per "round" is too little for this kind of tactical fighting. My suggestion is to have 2 or even 3 actions per "round", but most spell require 2-4 symbols channeled/mantras chanted before release. The problem is the 0MP extra damage thing. Maybe you can't channel after release until the next round?

For attacks, here's my suggestion:
>Attacks deal extra damage when your MP is 0
>If you have 1 symbol channeled, your attack takes on the property of that symbol
>If you have multiple symbols channeled, your attack gains all those properties, but you lose all channeled symbols. You can channel again in the same round.

Both, because I have two hands

Managed to use the repack in the OP to update to 1.3.3. Unfortunately, the season pass doesn't seem to work on that version.

You really don't. She's a morally ambiguous teenage vampire.

user, that's lewd.

He's literally a mass murderer.

well it'll be hard to murder more people with only one hand.

Good night bump

Anyone got a working link to the Humble Bundle 2 mega? The one in the pastebin doesn't work.

what do you appreciate the most when playing an rpgm game/demo?

An engaging hook that sticks early on.

I've encountered my share of demos that only have their hook by the end of their demo, as if it's some sort of twist for the story.

The hook could be the art style, music, story, gameplay, or something else. As long as it has a good hook, then it is a good demo in my eyes.

Even some rather decent games I have passed up because the hooks for them were either really flaccid or took WAY too long to develop.

Are you me?