/domg/ - Dominions general

Innovative Pretender Design Edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm (needs editing)

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuklearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first
>Die and join the ranks of brave skeletons

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

sendspace.com/file/p8uwdb
kamenrider.wikia.com/wiki/Titan
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

how girl get pragnent

benis in the bagina

/domg/ pretender naming scheme for community clash.

Discuss.

since when does trent reznor play dominions

clever way to confuse them

thats the dumbest fucking thing i've ever seen.

dammut, hows Caelum supposed to read my thread when he comes out of the Australian space-time continuim.

is 1000 rp a turn too much?

No? ~2k is considered pretty normal for late-game when you have a shitton of lab rats.

jesus christ

do you really need to research every spell?

and when is late game considered late game

1k is fine if the mid-late game is a period of constant total war

You need to win the game. If you can't do that when you have the very basic combat/summon magic your nation needs, then you have to do it when late-game comes or not at all.

Early game is usually when you have almost no magic and must expand and fight with troops.

Mid-game is when you research game-changing spells that allow you to use your mages extensively, like horde of skeletons, thunderstrike + storm, earthquake and magma eruptions, buffs for thugs. Mages and good scripting win mid-game wars, but elite troops can still be helpful.

I'd say reaching 7+ in one path and around 5 in several others is considered mid-late-game. Alternatively, some nations can go for 8-9 in one path for globals or strong summons. When magic/thugs/SCs/a lot of raiding is needed to win, and you have a lot of options, that's late-game. Also indicated by constant headache when you do your turns.

>that allow you to use your mages extensively, like horde of skeletons, thunderstrike + storm, earthquake and magma eruptions

that means I can get mid game by turn 20

I just hit my first, ench 7, now I don't really know where to go. I really want army of gold, but the end game summons are also nice and I could use high level evo.

>that means I can get mid game by turn 20
Yes.

Bumping this, does anyone have any good ideas?

>community clash.
>started
Post the other names too please.

what the fuck yomi

>what the fuck
he moaned/hissed

Yomi is literally the best roleplayer in this game. Niefelheim's poetry was nice, but this shit is great. It's the only stuff that's not actual diplomacy that I read.

Nah, it didn't start yet. He is asking for ideas to name our gods.

noob with EA machaka. how much do i suck and what can i do to improve

Did Yomi conquer the other nation then?

Why not pick some of the top names from our footy team, since those have already won votes?

pretty suk read the manual

You do not need F6. Machaka has D/F, which means its F gets as high as you need it.

Do not take a dormant dragon, in general.

Machaka expands fine, and expands very well in summod if you can exploit their foreign recruitment, but they are not at all resource gated except on the foreign rec stuff which is out of your dominion anyways.

I like taking an awake expander to snowball expansion. Machaka isn't scary enough to be gang-banged, and getting big means more and faster forts and mages to get your magic, which you need.

tl;dr - take an awake if you aren't confident in your early game, don't take prod

A few things:

Dump heat to 3, they're the easiest free scales to gain. Prod 3 is pointless - your troops suck, some amount of sloth is usually taken. The dragon is extremely overpriced for what it does, and outside rare circumstances should never be taken - and F6 gives you nothing for a path anyway. If dormant is what you want, A4 gryphon is way better.
I highly advise magic scales, your troops suck so you'll need research to compete. I also advise an awake, ideally the White Bull - unlike the snek trampler gods can cause some early pain to many nations, and expands just as well.

k
v2

looks fine, honestly. If it gets you an extra scale, though, I'd probably just leave N at 1. You don't need the path.

If you're going dormant, don't take an early game combat pretender, it'll wake up once the expansion phase is already over. As far as magic paths go, you want to either get 9 or as little as you need (9 for the major bless effect, in this case flaming weapons which is an additional magic attack whenever your sacreds hit).

what paths are good then other than e6?

N2 is actually v useful because of Personal Regen (and as Machaka, you're probably researching Enchantment ASAP anyway). But otherwise, yeah, you won't get much use of N4 on your bull.

E6 is enough. Your bull is an expander and a big ritual caster later on. Trying to make your god into a swiss army knife is a common mistake - it's usually enough if he can do one thing really well.

so putting it at two gives me enough so that i can get dom7, should i just leave it at that?

I'd leave dom at 6 and get an extra scale. Magic's nice.

Yeah, it's p good.

what would you suggest?

On the other hand, your best mage is a heretic, meaning you want as many candles as you can get. YMMV, both options should be alright.

>Magic's nice.

It's not really an issue as long as you don't keep a stack of boudas in your capital. Heretic preaching doesn't spread from one province to the next like normal dominion (although it will cancel any growth to your lab province).

What do you want out of me Caelum? You don't want to drag this out any longer than you have to. My empire may be big but i have zero thrones. My guys fight till their burger. You keep heading north, it'll cost you the game.

tell me what other pretenders you want anime'd

RUINED

typical anime

i dunno, it was hard to keep the same feel of her expression from the original, but i think that's what she looks like.

Divine glyph as the weeb rune for "evil"

I'm trying to make a crafting disciple as EA Ulm and was curious what are the recommended magic scales to go for? I know to go heavy into construction but not sure where to go from there really.

S5 is the mandatory one for a crafting disciple, and you probably want A4E2+ for air boosters and staffs.

wew

you know, making the vanilla sprites bigger and more detailed would look nice

Does this seem sensible? From my understanding I can boost earth quite a bit with items so its not so bad. I was thinking about maybe going into fire too.

I would actually boost Blood to 2, so you can make blood stones. Assuming you have a source of slaves somehow; maybe you can buy them.

Dwarves have +1 to crafting, you need only A3 and E2 and so on for the relevant items. You might want higher levels anyways for the spellcasting.

It's an EA disciples game, so odds are p good that they have blood access. If not, they have other issues.

How is this distribution? I want lightless lanterns but I'm not sure if I should spend gems for one level or go into it from the start.

EA Ulm gets F1 mages, I would take N1 instead, I think you can boost up to N3, with your dude able to make a Thistle Mace and a Moonvine Bracelet

Thanks a lot. I'm pretty shit at dom4 but I got roped into doing an online game with a group of people.

Morgen High Queen needs your help

Ok dude, after some consideration I came up with this.

F1: flaming skull+staff of elements = flame helm
A3: Air Helm, wears helm and makes Bag of Wind.
W1: Makes Water Bracelet, can make Sea King's Robe with Staff of Elements
E2: Wear Earth Boots, make the Staff of Elements
S4: Crystal Coin + Starshine Cap gets you rings
D3: Skull Staff lets you forge Scary Face (I don't recall what it's actually called), with that and both rings you can summon Tarts, plus D+F lets you get Fire Skull for F boosting
N1 and B2 I already covered.

I've never played Ulm so I don't have a feel for their mages, but this should get you every relevant booster, which sounds like a fun way to play to me. Hopefully you have 3+ teammates so they can send you raw materials.

That's a pretty complete rainbow.

desu, usually I'd say that a full on rainbow god is bad for disciples as opposed to some sort of SC/monster. You can divide the paths for high end items between your teammates (ex an N9 god, an S5D5 something, I mean it all depends on what chasses you're using and what yur native magic is) and then instead of having a dorf that doesn't do much early, you can deploy an SC for year 2 fighting

i finished this sprite and attack sprite, but no matter what i do the shadows wont work. might have to just remove them

t. Yomi

did you flatten the image?

the shadows look great. the head is too big for the body.

still prefer the original. realistic bodies > thicc faggotry

maybe? i saved it as a transparent TGA, 24 bit. maybe it has to be 32bit is what im doing wrong

in the meantime while i figure it out, i took out shadows and uploaded the first version of the mod, with 2 sprites
sendspace.com/file/p8uwdb

It looks MUCH better with the shadows, but the head is still massively too big

She was pretty thicc in the original.

Army of gold if you have good troops.

Lategame evocations < Lategame mass buffs (unless it's turn 1 like RoS), and most of the good buffs are in alteration.

If you don't have good troops, go for summons and try to win with SCs and/or thugs.

I agree, the anime'd Annunaki slut would be better if the head was made smaller. Her entire appeal is appearing 'thicc'. By enlarging the head, she just looks chibi

Speak for yourself. To me, the appeal is her dainty savage talons and her feathery, draping wings.

>S2 Celestial master with crystal shield lost a magic duel to a S1 crystal sorceress
Just fuck my shit up famalam

patrician taste lad

This. Fucking this.

Mein neger.

>S2 vs S1
>2+1d6 vs 1+1d6
>36 combinations
You lose the duel with the rolls:
(1,2), (1,3)... (1,6) -> 5
(2,3), (2,4)... (2,6) -> 4
(3,4), (3,5), (3,6) -> 3
(4,5), (4,6) -> 2
(5,6)-> 1
I'm counting the draw as losing since you lose your mage.
So 15/36-> 41'6%
It isn't as low as you think, senpai.

If you only want strictly lost duels it would be like this:
9/36 -> 25%
Less likely but I would kill to have 25% to get the lottery.

Come back when you lose a S5 mage to a S1 mage.

This nigga gets it.

Magic Duel is unboosted path only. The crystal shield isn't doing anything for you there.

gib sauce

kamenrider.wikia.com/wiki/Titan

No, you homosexual

Huh, kamen rider isn't just Power Rangers for Snowflakes after all.

Rus, I don't appreciate the fact that you're trying to cut me from Machaka. I got items from your "thug", and I'm gonna send them to you when my dude gets to the lab, but I'm taking his cap, as you're too slow with his other forts.

Also, do your fucking turn.

He's right tho, the head is too big

Any EA games in the making?

I'm too slow taking his forts stacked with high strength (but admittedly low value) summons while fending off attacks from Xibalba and TC, and once I finally achieve a break out I'm trying to "cut you off" and not conquering a foe who attacked me without provocation? Meanwhile you're going to go capture his lightly defended capital without a battle, while I have defeated his armies in the field? What perfidiousness, from someone I had considered a friend for his help against TC, who I'll point out continued to send armies my way even while you were besieging his cap. Very well, I don't intend to stop you, as I have two armies of his yet to clear.

Any suggestions on how to Vamp Queen in LA Ulm? I am fairly new but i have gotten expansion down pat pretty good with xbows and shield infantry and despite this being my first blood nation i have a good blood economy going. But after that im lost.
Vanp counts/lords seen strong and supposedly make good thugs. But what equipment works. Armor or just stick with invulnerability. Brands?
But besides my invulnerable horde sticking around is there any critical spells or items to achieve? Any help for mid to late game would be appreciated.

Oh just to mention my pretender is vamp queen blood4 death4 dom6 ord3 prod3 growth3 misforturn 2 i dont remember if i had any cold

>TC sending armies
Do I really need to post a battle report of him losing 999 mages to my forces again?

And I'm pretty sure you attacked Xibalba first, so you have no one else to blame but yourself.

If I really hurt your conqueror's pride that much I can always pay you for his cap and your thug.

Vampire counts/lords can raid provinces without gear if you just take 2 or 3 of them and use them to spam horde of skeletons. It's a bit less risky than putting gear on them.
Go for Iron blizzard first, then whatever you need after that, construction probably won't hurt since you'll want boosters and other items

Did Xibalba tell you that? He was always the aggressor. And even if you killed 99,999 TC mages, it doesn't change the fact that rather than defend with everything, he kept attacking me until he staled. It's not hurt pride that makes me object, but your obvious designs to conquer everything, including me.

>/domg/ player has designs on conquering all rivals and becoming pantoman.

I can see why this is surprising, but it really shouldn't be.

Uhh, yeah, actually he told me that. Bats will lie to stay alive, I guess. Still, I expand wherever possible. I don't want Eriu with Ermor's death gem income to get Machaka's lands and make even more tarts. Bad for late-game.

I wonder how effective hurt offensiveness is going to be when you're diplomancing with a guy. Clearly 's passive-aggression failed. Or perhaps not -- you're backing down.

I'd have gone all chill, to put him at ease, sort of like . But I have no idea if that'd have worked.

We should have tips on diplomancing, as well as the game's base mechanics.

Nice prevarication. If you can't tell the difference between imminent threat and eventual threat, maybe Dominions isn't the game for you.

Wow im retarded since i use skelespam in almost every game i play. Any help with crackingcastles? I can siege up fine just castle fights seem to he a no win scenario which holds me up immesely with out an incredible expenditure of resoures.

LA Ulm can build Gate Cleavers, no?

All else fails, get some candles on it with a prophet and a bunch of preachers and just send in Immortals until everyone's dead. You can replenish forces without spending gems. He can't.

How legitimate is a strategy built entirely around crossbows?

Works fine so long as you never have to fight anyone who has Air magic, ubiquitous troops with 20+ prot when you count the shield, or both.

How legitimate is a strategy built entirely around crossbows and countering Air and 20+ prot?

Asking for a friend.

Ironbane breaks the prot unless it's ironskin. But arrow fend will fuck your shit right up

Damn, that's a shame.

Okay: how legitimate is a strategy built entirely around elephants? With morale boosts and such.

Can't be done. Arrow Fend shuts any non-AoE projectile based strategy down hard. That's Ench6, but even before that Storm (and everyone with recruitable air magic rushes Storm) will at least halve your effectiveness, and Crossbowmen are not selected for their usefulness in melee.