What went so right?

What went so right?

Seems like just another family car to me. What's all the fuss about?

Much nicer than the usual jap/korean offering at that price

Nothing. It's the definition of shitty modern car design. Look at those tiny rear windows and pedestrian-safe front end.

naturally aspirated engines that get the best real world mileage
no cvt
no 6 billion gear slushbox
no dual clutch transmission
decent look
manual gearbox available on most models
the auto is fine despite being a 6 speed slushbox

Still rather get a gti for the same price, while having better handling, interior, ride quality

>no cvt

this

>lemon: the car

I have the diesel version of this model in manual. Pretty happy with it. Good midrange & mileage, but a bit laggy.

Literally all that went right is that they didn't do anything retarded.

Also:
Not trying to copy other successful cars outright, not trying to be a racecar, limo, truck, and minivan all at once, being designed by dedicated, creative, and anal retentive Nips.

Aside from not making a mazdaspeed3

I have the 2.5L 6 with a manual. Worth it if you get it used. Mine is a 2014 with the real hand brake and not the shitty "P" button, my only real gripe with the new interior. It's essentially a poor mans luxury car with some sporty styling. This is opinion, but probably the best looking economy sedan out there.

>willingly getting a lemon VW over super reliable mazda
Why though. Mazdas are truly the best Japanese modern car maker, bar none. And Euros are over designed trash anyway.

t. Dad has worked for a big mazda dealership for the past 26 years

It's old and deprecated senpai. The new Civic with turbo engine is better in every meaningful way.

false

>Mazdas are truly the best Japanese modern car maker, bar none.
You're a moron and should kill yourself asap shill. Get your slow ass cars outta here

prove me wrong

This.

If they made the speed3 in this series it would have been amazing. The rumours were saying 320hp and awd. I don't mind FWD.

LOL

same desu. i don't get the desire for perfect reliability at the cost of everything else.

It comes with CVT, it automatically loses to the Mazda.

>what went right?

Nip autism but in a good way.

True

>i want that "look im an edgy tweenager thats too poor to afford a BMW" look

>chevy still having gernading engines
>Chevy being that high on the list

I know that GM pays Motortrend assloads of money to compare their cars to six figure supercars but they got JD too?

I wish that the mazda3 could get the 2.5l turbo.

A normal car with 170 hp shouldn't have a turbo.

>JD Power
>Infotainment being hard to use on the same level as transmission failure

Kill yourself

>What went so right?

Driving Matters ™

The way the JD Power test works is that they ask people what they don't like about their new car, and then add up the total number of complaints. So "not enough cupholders," "slow to shift," and "through a rod leaving the dealership" are all given the same weight. And the survey is only for cars that are like 1 month old, so nothing important has had a chance to fail yet. Mostly it's just a measure of how quickly the honeymoon period ends.

>through a rod
Threw*

That's not what deprecated means my dude.

They should really call it an initial quality survey, to call it anything else is a lie.

As a small automaker, Mazda differentiates itself by appealing to the driver. Tuning their vehicles for heightened sense of fun from behind the wheel.

For example you can see how in the 2017 Mazda 6 there is a new technology they're calling G-Vectoring Control, a software control system designed to make you a better driver and since it is software it adds 0 weight to the car.

Do Stacy or Chad care about Mazda GVC? No, they don't give a shit.

>Mazda research affirms something we've long suspected, based on voluminous sales of appliances like the Corolla: some 80 percent of American buyers have little or no interest in key Mazda attributes such as styling and performance. But Mazda will be content to chase people for whom driving still matters, to paraphrase the company slogan.

Holy shit that thing is ugly.

It's really easy to see why Mazda is struggling. Their main pitch line is G vectoring. Your average consumer could care less and good luck trying to explain that to them. Meanwhile the Fusion comes out with apple carplay/android auto. That is what consumers understand.

Good reliable NA engines my dude. Mazda managed to be based enough to not follow the downsizing train.

Add to that good styling, handling, overall quality, and you've got the perfect DD.

In 15 years Veeky Forums poorfags will praise the current gen Mazda 3 (with manual handbrake ofc) as the the best shitbox.

Really my only gripe is the shitty paint (soul red) and polish, it gets scratches as soon as you look at it the wrong way.

Also a sportier trim with tuned suspensions and a more powerful engine would be perfect.

This so much

what the fuck is that

>>>immediately impulsively buys the second it is released
My bank account can't handle that user pls

Like that other user said they aren't going full retard with downsizing and putting CVTs in everything

You can get it with a 6 speed manual

>driving a Mazda
I'd rather walk lol

but does does the mazda, user - the latest mazdas have a ridiculously good infotainment system, in fact, on top of everything else

They dressed them up nicely, inside and out. Fuel mileage is good but it's stupidly high comp and we're going to have to see how they do years down the track.

They're good affordable commuters. That's about it. Given that Toyota makes bland commuters, Mitsu hasn't bothered updating the Lancer in a decade and Nii-san and Subaru only offer CVT abominations, it's fair to say that Mazda is the only one still putting effort into it.

The stiffest competition they'll face is going to come from Kia and Hyundai; the gooks have been stepping their game up too. Hiring the former designers from Audi to make their econoboxes aesthetically nicer while also looking to improve the quality of things.

Mazda is going to go bankrupt if they keep trying to appeal to "real" drivers. Do they honestly think people who enjoy driving would want to drive a Mazda?

People who enjoy driving are usually poorfags that can't afford a new car anyways

>get a VW, nothing will go wrong, we're not a dishonest, unreliable company. Trust us

I'd seriously consider murdering a hooked for a manual mazda3 hatchback

shill or not, good analysis of current shitboxes

From a drivers' POV, you can't compare Korean cars and Mazdas. At all.

Go test drive both and you'll see that gooks make the blandest cars on earth. Especially the steering.

What do people mean by good steering? Is it a sharper feedback of the road on the steering wheel? Turning radius?

I have a 2009 mazda3 but I don't really know how it's like to drive other cars.

responsive, light etc.. it feels satisfying to drive

Nice buzzwords.

You say these things like its a positive. This thing is prehistoric tech in a modern car. Enjoy paying money for old as hell tech dumbass.

They're so good looking
The wagon in red is just pure sex

>Also a sportier trim with tuned suspensions and a more powerful engine would be perfect.
If they offered this I would have bought one.

Mazda have always designed good looking cars where other japanese manufacturers have lost their way. New Toyotas, Nissans, Hondas look awful.
Just look at it's hideous and the wheels don't match it at all. Or this monstrosity from Toyota

Talk me out of buying a new Mazda 3. I don't currently have a car btw.

Retards. JD Power has rankings for different components. Mazda gets 4/5 in the powertrain reliability category btw.

>20 miles
>check engine light is already on

That famous Mazda reliability

>same price

You mean just a regular Golf? Because a GTI is several grand more expensive than all but the top 3s.

>while having better handling

kek, just no. Mazda kills vag on the handling.

>interior

Admittedly in some spots, but the 3 has prettier air vents and way less pigdisgusting headliner.

>ride quality

What are you, 80? It's not like either is riding like a stripped out race car.

A quality car is more than just a solid engine and transmission. I mean, the fucking Ford model fucking A was a 4 cylinder gasoline engine, no a whole lot has changed in 100 years, yet cars have silly fuck ups with electrical problems and things that are easily avoidable.

Honda and Toyota just kick ass. And you're fucking retarded if you think a Mazda3 drives better than a Civic of the same vintage. I don't understand why they get shilled as being a Driver's car. It's a cheaper alternative to the top notch quality of Honda and 'Yota. A notch above Nissan for sure, though.

t. never driven Mazda3

>. And you're fucking retarded if you think a Mazda3 drives better than a Civic of the same vintage.

Opinion discarded, you are clearly a retard who has no idea what he is talking about.

I have driven both the new Civic and the 2017 Mazda 3 and the latter is at least 100% percent better to drive. The handling dynamics of the Mazda (specially with the new GVC) are superior.

NOPE

>satisfying to drive

subjective.jpg

>fwd

RUST

even in 2008-2009

The marketing clearly, a handful of people have actually been convinced it's anything but a POS FWD econobox

>tfw i have a 2013 speed3

well spotted einstein

drive a 996 and 991 back to back and you'll understand

So which is supposed to be the one that had shit steering?

I can't tell you the answer that defeats the purpose.

this or a new civic hatch for DD and all i ever do is sit in stop and go traffic?

Looks the same as every car that's been made in the last 5 years.

I don't know what other people mean, but for me it's

>lower steering ratio = good
>more road feedback = good
>not directly steering related, but less body roll = good

And I like steering that's a bit on the lighter side. Definitely not as light as Nissan's shit, but not as heavy as a Jag. Also like a wheel that's a bit smaller and a bit thinner than average.

If you like the Sport trim, I'd get the Civic Hatch. If you don't, it's a coin toss.

>tfw seriously considering buying a -used of course- 2014 Mazda3 Grand Touring/2015

BUT DONT KNOW WHETHER TO GET SEDAN OR """"HATCHBACK""""
also last gen Mazda3's are kinda nice looking. they look like they have a big smile on the front

>they look like they have a big smile on the front
is that supposed to be a GOOD thing.

honestly I think the front (those sexy lights) on the first gen was great, but the steel or whatever they used was so prone to rust for some reason.

>my car got btfo by pushrods and leafsprings

Theres no CEL in that pic moron

What about Honda?

I own a MY15 and honestly the car has some positive points such has very nice MPGs, nice feeling clutch and 6 speed and also good steering feel IMO.

BUT it sucks at interior quality, mine has barely 15,000 miles and it squeaks from the glovebox and the armrest too...

>type r
>it's clearly a coupe
>it's not even the production model, it's the concept

I really want the SI coupe, tho.

A sport gti is 25-26k same as the mazda 3 mid trim. And no, the 3 does not kill the gti in handling, a 3 does not handle poorly but at the end of the day it's still a base commuter while a gti is more sport oriented
Ride quality matters when both are fwd hatches that you're gonna drive everyday.

The GTI is barely more sport oriented though - in the grand scheme of things the main advantage it has over the Mazda 3 is power.

In any case, the GTI you SHOULD be buying is close to 29K anyway 27,995 + destination. 20 more HP, VAQ diff, push button start and keyless access, upgraded brakes... it's a must-have trim level upgrade.

Were these any good?

I used to want one back in 2011 but didn't know how to drive a manual at the time

I ended up buying a WRX last year though to learn on.

>What went so right?
>no rotary engine
>right

it looks good with the appearance package.

>current gen Mazda 3
it looks like an american car though

also, can't get leather without the retarded driving assist crap

I've been saying this since this silly meme was first being posted...

It still amazes me how spacious is the inside of this car.

How can people think that the new Civic is ugly? The 3 looks so sterile and lifeless compared to it.

Just watch some reviews man, most of them agree that the new Civic absolutely blows the Mazda out of the water.

The new Civic looks like cars I saw when I wandered around the park at night listening to EDM on acid.

Not saying it's bad, but not everyone wants to drive what looks like a transformer mid transformation.

It's growing on me. The sport trim in particular is nice and the best value in the class imo for someone wanting a sporty commuter, but

1) The rear honeycomb panels are awful.
2) hood is a little long for my tastes, all around a little too big
3) Super asshurt about no 3 door