To think I've had this thing almost 9 years now...how time passes

To think I've had this thing almost 9 years now...how time passes

and how it looked when I got it in 2008.

Looks better that way.

These are obviously not the same car

Timestamp?

good luck finding a spare 1.21 gigawatt energy source when that shits breaks down and strands you in 1955 dude

Oh?

The first pic was a actually a few years ago (2012 I think) the red one was when I got it in 2008. It had lots of issues. I ended up replacing the doors and rear panels once I stripped the paint and found lots of damage (explains the paint).

The trim and the color were different so I thought they were another car

It was a lot of work. I never had really good facilities back when I got the car so I used to do the work mostly in the open. I recall having to stop the panel replacement the first night because it started raining.

Amusingly when it was still red folks used to take note of my "Lamborghini"...

The fun work was when I reworked the engine valley. It was full of leaking coolant and acorns when I started. I did the work outdoors between two blizzards and refurbished some of the components indoors in the downtime since I was off work.

if you just close your eyes
if you get in my car
i'll take you for a riiiiiiideeeeeee

I'd love to see how it's held up after 6 years. I'm having some idle issues so I might just do the work once the weather is better.

PRV engines are prone to issues where the metal rots through due to coolant leaks and you get a hole in the top so I coated it in POR 15 after cleanup which is rated well for the engine temps in this area and flexible.

Are you the guy who has the Morgan or whatever modern 30s style car as well as the DeLorean?

Nope

another nice car ruined by a dogshit engine.

True partially. The PRV was an honest and solid engine but the early 80s US emissions requirements choked it.

Since my car doesn't fall under any emissions rules now I removed the cat with a straight pipe which did help performance. I've never dynoed it to see how much better it runs beyond the stock 135HP.

>I stripped the paint and found lots of damage (explains the paint)

This is pretty much a given with painted Deloreans.

Paint on a Delorean pretty much means the car was in an accident.
This is kinda shitty for those FREAKS who'd like to have it in a different color since absolutely everyone who sees it expects a damaged car and the paint.

>typical delorean ower
>makes time flying joke in normal conversation
Tips fedora.

Yeah like a big Scirocco

Correct.

Now that being said...there were some stock cars back when the company went under that were painted by dealers to make them more marketable. I verified mine was not one of those before the strip.

IF someone owned one of those painted cars they might have a rare thing. Of course they'd need original documentation indicating such from the dealer.

Yup

And a dogshit layout and build quality.

It was inspirin to read on some obsessive virgin dork's blog back in the early 2000's that actually went to interview an aloof JZD in his NJ mansion, explain that the Acura NSX is the car that he wished he had built in between bitching about how *broke* he was despite living the life of luxury with race horse stables and shit on his estate.

JZD fucked up royaly by being an old Detroit mindset that turned to Europe for adding exotic touches, instead of being on the forefront of the industry and turning to the Far East. He had been a thought leader through the 60's and 70's but failed to anticipate the changes the Asians were going to bring to the table. Had he struck out on his own a few years later than he did, he would have had the knowledge that the japs were coming and were providing the innovations he needed. Not the fucking yellow tooth blockhead Irish / Brits.

He tried to beat Mazda at wankel power originally. He should had worked with them instead of trying to get Detroit or VW to hump out one for him.

A transverse toyota I6 with turbocharging would had been his best option. I don't care if it wouldn't fit. Make the car two feet wider.

Slow Meme car built by potatoniggers for Fedora wearers who drive around with the doors up at armistice day parades.

Usually I'm objective...but your comments make utterly no sense.

DMC NEVER marketed or modeled the car after Asian the market nor should they have.

The failure was the unexpected costs coupled with the economic downturn.

US emissions and new crash requirements had a big impact on the car. There was never enough time to establish this fact...but building the var with drunken Irishmen had an eventual impact on long term build quality. I always feel like the car is trying to murder me now that its 36 years old.

Luckily the hood paint strip was fairly easy

Cool thread. You got some balls, my dude.

What method did you use to strip the paint? Products, tools, etc.

bro just go back in time and get those nine years back

I have a fantasy of getting a delorean and swapping in some turbo4

gotta respect a man who restores his car all by himself

Man I love the DeLorean wheels.

is that the back to the future car? haha i love that movie! 200 gigawatts!

What a bunch of retards. If it's red it's obviously a Ferrari.

yea its much better known as the slow heavy car made by mr cocaine himself

>a few years ago
>you could get a mint Delorean for 10 grand, maybe 6 if you looked hard enough
>then (((Delorean Motor Company))) opens up someplace in Texas
>they bought every single one, changed a few parts, and sell them for 10 times the asking price
>now you're lucky if you can find a COMPLETELY DESTROYED one for 10K

This makes me irrationally mad.

>tfw no stainless steel car

I'm assuming since the original delorian was stainless steel he could just use really harsh shit on it without too much concern.

well it was bound to happen you have to admit.

NOT LIKE IN COMICS BABY
WITH ECONOMICS BABY
IT'S REAGONONICS BABY
BABY BABY BABY BABY YEEEEAAAH

You've made a huge mistake.

I saw a red delorean years ago... Any chance you're in western Canada?

there is nothing objectively good about this car

No rust on the body panels.

what all do you have to do for a finish like that?
just sand and put a clear coat on or what?

>Bondo

Fucking painted DMC-12

You suck at reading comprehension then.

I said that JZD should had foreseen the Asian rise when he was considering striking out on his own in the 70's, and reached out to partner with Japanese suppliers and producers. Rather than the traditional alliance with european firms.

I assumed that most of us here would understand the context of 70's-80's automotive trends.

Additionally....for such a forward thinking, and unchained trendsetter....his failure to ally with the nips, was a reflection of the same old school Detroit thay he tried so hard to set himself apart from.

EPA standards fucked every make. Not just delorean. The japs adapter better.