Are unreliable and expensive German cars a meme?

I was always told that older Mercedes and BMW's are going to unreliable? Is that true?

My Russian wife really wants a luxury sedan or SUV (specifically a Mercedes C-class or x3) as her first car... but my budget is only 12k.

So is it a bad idea to buy a C-class with close to 100k miles? Once she get's her license I'll be buying a Miata again. Cause I can fix almost anything on a Saturday afternoon for 200 bucks!

Other urls found in this thread:

moseslake.craigslist.org/ctd/5983996305.html
r.ebay.com/SBJDVu
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Are unreliable and expensive German cars a meme

HIGHLY depends on the individual car.
If you're lazy and don't want to research this meme would work as rule of thumb though.

she's about to hack your wallet

Buy her a Lada with 20 inch chrome wheels and really nice seat covers.

this
See the memeball thread, some user got a Benz lemon and it's been a money pit, plus he ended up ignoring the many errors because of how expensive it is to fix

I'm not lazy. I had a Miata in highschool and 3 series in college and neither went to the garage for anything except for alignments.

The BMW was a bitch... Even changing a headlight was like a puzzle.

I always fix everything myself. But I've never owned a merc or BMW SUV specifically so I am looking for opinions on these specifically

>hack your wallet
I'm about to hack her ass and mouth... sooo worth it

Her tastes in cars are so annoying. Anything Mercedes, anything HUGE, any HUGE BMW, and lexus RX series

>anything HUGE
get her an S class then
moseslake.craigslist.org/ctd/5983996305.html

>I was always told that older Mercedes and BMW's are going to unreliable? Is that true?
No, it's not, but when stuff eventually does break it's going to cost you a lot more for parts and service compared to most other brands.

>a wild AMG appears
r.ebay.com/SBJDVu
It's $12950 but maybe you can talk it down

just, WOW

b-b-b she doesnt like the way it looks

Save yourself the trouble and get a Lexus SUV, any of them.

Gotta love murican mentality where if your car has cheap parts people consider it to be less quality. Here in South America Mercedes isn't more expensive than most brands when it comes to parts, and in fact is less expensive than the French regular brands.
>b-b-b she doesnt like the way it looks
What? Seriously? And she likes the C class? Amazing lol
Should make her sit in one though :^)
Literally the only reason for not getting it would be if it was bigger than she's comfortable driving

>French regular brands.
mmmmm yeah but we don't get French cars in the US... at all

She probably thinks the S class looks old. What a basic bitch. Yeah if she is determined to buy a Benz then i might have to overrule her at the end and buy a S class

she wants a lexus now after 3 beers

Is she a mail order wife or something? Did you recently get married?

Someone please save me from this BORING TURD toyota

no we have been living together in China for more than a year. We will get married this summer in my hometown then move to Florida

You seem to loathe her for being a guy who wants to marry her, I don't understand this

no i just don't like the lexus RX series

I don't mean from that post but from the whole thread, you even called her a "basic bitch" ffs. You sound more like a man who is about to divorce than a man who is about to get married.

what i mean by "basic bitch" you "autist neckbeard" is that she doesn't appreciate anything about car aesthetics

which is common when you come from a poor country. You only think the new shit is cool

She doesn't like any Benz with the emblem above the hood (like s500). Because that's the OLD STYLE she wants it embeded in the grill like the new cars (C & E-class)

Does that make any sense?

I've walked by so many Maybachs and asked her "would you like that car?" and she's like "no my friend had the same and it was old" BECAUSE IT HAS THE MERC LOGO ABOVE THE HOOD

oh lol
still comes across as spiteful though
how about showing her that the luxury trim in the newer ones has the star on the hood?

>and lexus RX series

this isn't a difficult choice. the RX wont break the bank, the rest will.

Why dont you just let her pick the car, if it fucks up just tell her you cant fix it. In a way this is tough love, and giving her some freedom, because she will learn a lesson from buying luxury shitboxes, and she will have the satisfaction of owning that decision 100%. If you force a certain car on her and it fucks up, well then she will remember that and hold it against you. Just let her figure it out if its her money.

>my budget
>her money
lol

I speed read my bad man

no prob

>I was always told that older Mercedes and BMW's are going to unreliable? Is that true?

Where did you hear that? Older German cars (i.e ones before the 2000s) are incredibly reliable and well built, particularly the ones from the 80s.

Old Mercedes are notorious for surviving harsh conditions like African deserts with minimal maintenance and are built solid. I've seen a few for sale around here with well over 300,000 miles on the clock.

Old BMWs are also well known for the same thing, particularly the E30 3 series and the E34 5 series (the E34 also won awards for build quality and reliability throughout its life).

But if you find one that's been abused and not maintained it can be a total unknown. But I'd never buy a poorly maintained car no matter what brand anyway.

>live together for only 1 year
>she wants you to buy her a luxury sedan/suv
>for a first car
>AND she's picky of what car
And you're going along with it?
Dumb fuck

I agree. That's why divorce lawyers are making bank.

checked

QUADS OF TRUTH

But you guys seriously are fucked up! Maybe just cucked by western women, but more likely just NEETS that have zero contact with real girls

I want to buy her a car she likes. So she likes to drive it. So she likes her life. Nothing wrong with that.

I forgot I had this benz for a few months and it was a real trooper

I hope you don't end up a MGTOW mate. I really hope this works out for you and she isn't just a gold digger.

Fuck this is so right

Even for the smallest of shits it's always like this

-Oh user buy me a nice camera, we'll take pictures during our trips around the world with it !

-Well... OK, we don't need something really expensive I guess, it's just for some "souvenirs"

-NO user ! I want a nice reflex with a huge lens because I want to take pictures at dawn or night time.

>ends up buying a 600€ Canon and get asked if I want a steal-proof warranty, gf gets mad because we can't afford unneeded expenses

-Oh great user, I'll take it out tomorrow evening with my friends, there's a concert in town !

>camera stolen, she calls me crying and tells me that it's my fault

Two years later we still can't talk about it or else I sleep on the couch

If it's not a 300D, E30, or classic Beetle, it's going to be ruinously unreliable.

>Two years later we still can't talk about it or else I sleep on the couch
Sounds like you're a fucking bitch is the problem. Make her sleep on the couch.

No

what does her black boyfriend think?

everyone in this thread sounds like kissless virigin neckbeard
>REEEEEEEEEEEEE all women are out to get me
>a-a-a-user can i p-p-please have a camera? GET AWAY FROM ME GOLD DIGGINB BITCH

Okay thanks for the advise. I think I'll wait to get a Benz till I have more money to throw away. That Lexus RX isn't looking so bad now

Their advice is memes tbqh
that said those cars can be a nightmare if you get a badly maintained one or a lemon

owner of two unreliable german meme cars here

some general principles
>reliability can vary wildly from model to model, some are outrageously reliable while others are heaps of shit
>it's very, very good to be able to fix problems yourself. it's super satisfying and you'll save shitloads of money
>maintenance is super important. you can put it off for a while but problems will add up
>prior maintenance is just as important. it's ALWAYS cheaper to spend more on a very well maintained car than to buy an abused bitch for cheap
>DO YOUR FUCKING RESEARCH, common problems, parts costs, difficulty of diy repair, everything.

by the way if you're looking for a reliable mercedes, pick up a 2005-2006 E320 CDI
the engine and transmission are basically unkillable
the w211 chassis had some electrical issues but repairs are well documented online and not that difficult. plenty of much less expensive OEM parts are available

for a reliable bmw, you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with an e36 3 series (preferably a 98 328i). The cooling system is kinda poopy but if you replace most of the cooling system on the front of the engine when you buy the car, which is like $400 in parts at most and takes a saturday, the thing will be unstoppable

for a reliable audi, get either what is called an UR-s4 or an UR-s6 from the mid 90s, the first generations of the s4 and s6 respectively. They're pretty rare now but FUCK are they reliable. like lexus ls400 reliable. That turbo straight5 engine can make so much fucking power too holy shiiiiit

>Ur-anything
didn't you get the memo? The lady dislikes old cars.