I have 14k in my bank account I don't plan on spending. How do I prevent inflation from destroying it?

I have 14k in my bank account I don't plan on spending. How do I prevent inflation from destroying it?

Other urls found in this thread:

fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/summary/52106N442
fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/summary/38141W562
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How old are you? What's your investment horizon?

Old fucker? TIPS for now.
Middle aged? A balanced allocation
Younger? Growth stocks.

Are you working yet? Is it a career path?

If not, just put it in a savings account for now. You need liquid cash while you're young to get started and have a buffer so you don't have to use credit cards.

Sure, you may lose 1% annually to inflation, but what is that - $140? That's opportunity cost to have the full magazine loaded when life throws shit at you.

Just resist every temptation to spend it on stupid shit. Wait for it .... wait for it.....

You can't. It all depends on how the Government handles the economy. If they fuck it or lose a war then you got hyperinflation.

So your best bet is to be diversified in as many investments as possible.

GOLD
O
L
D

COMPOUNDING INTEREST and just forget about it

Bitcoin and Monero.

You'll thank me later.

I'm 24 and have a similar amount. Would I be better off going to a financial advisor with the money and asking him what mutual fund or CD would best fit me?

I'd like to buy a house when I have $30-50k but I know its not going to happen until at least a few years from now.

>Would I be better off going to a financial advisor with the money and asking him what mutual fund or CD would best fit me?

No, if you're going to do this then just find an index fund (hell, put it in an ETF that tracks the S&P). It'll be cheaper and have the same effect.

But as says you probably want the liquid cash .. $14k is not gonna make you a lot of money no matter what you do, but you're sure going to feel any loss, and you want to be able to pull out a debit card when weird shit happens (surprise university fees, broken car, you have to put a deposit on something, you need a new computer, etc).

What about Nutmeg? Check the site.

my physio put me onto it. It's an ISA based active management kinda thing.
she said she's had good results over 5k

Anyone know about Nutmeg? Or similiar sites. Worth putting some money in and leaving it or is there better alternatives for somebody that doesn't know a lot about stocks and index funds etc

I actually don't want the easy liquidity to keep me from spending the money on dumb shit. I have no debts, nothing I want to spend on, and at any given moment $1-3000+ in my checking for my needs.

I have almost $11k in cash alone, and $2200 in a Fidelity 401K from my previous employer I completely forgot existed. And like I said, my current goal is 4-5 years from now when I've saved up $40-50k put it on a downpayment for a home. I'm going to constantly keep contributing to whatever vehicle I use.

How would I go about finding a Index Fund? Opening up an account decent returns on their site.

fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/summary/52106N442
fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/summary/38141W562

My money is with mutual funds, but we had enough of a starting balance to avoid the egregious front-end loads most low fee class A funds require. And it was 12 years ago. Our initial load was 2%, but quickly went to 0% because our assets under management were high enough. Now we are at 0% on all funds and pay about 0.55% annual fees. It's still not optimal and we're considering moving everything over to my Schwab acount, but my FA has been a real bro to us and kept us full invested through the 2009 apocalypse. And 2012. And 2016. We've made out handsomely by listening to him. YMMV.

Again, I'd keep it liquid, but if you really want to invest I'd go with and open an account at Fidelity or Schwab linked to my bank account or their online account. Due to new rules, uninvested cash balances in brokerage accounts are automatically "swept" into their online bank savings account after 30 days of inactivity. It hurt nothing and you get more interest than Chase would pay, but you have to remember you have both accounts. ... anyway, if you have to invest I'd just sink 1/2 of it in SPY and the other half in a balanced fund with about 40% bond exposure. Or whatever you wish. But of course realize if another 2001/2009/2012/2016 happens you could suffer a punch in the balls that may take a few years to recover from.

Stay away from true mutual funds unless you have at least $250K to invest. Even then.... ETFs make more sense today. Google Jack Bogle at Vanguard's take on all this.

Get a fiduciary or tell them to fuck off. Financial advisors work for their bank and get commission for sales.
Get an online broker and put $1000 at a time towards a vanguard ETF.

Banks waive the fees for your account when you have a minimum amount in your chequing for the month. So you have emergency money and save about as much as you'd lose from interest

Yeah, pretty much this. If you're truly looking for an advisor look for one who is a fiduciary and works for flat rate per consultation. Most people don't need to talk to an advisor more than once a year anyway.

Most CFAs today glorified insurance salesmen. You'll know if his firm is an insurance company or if he opens every consult with discussion of your insurance needs. It fucking gets old. And yes, they get 12B-1 fees from the mutual funds which as a commission.

And he's also right about the bank accounts. We have fee-free checking, wire transfers, etc because we maintain a balance. And he's exactly right about the emergency money. I'd use the $14K to open a higher yield, higher service checking account and an incentive to save to add to the balance. When you get to, say, $30K you can move lumps over to an investment account while maintaining your emergency balance.

Nutmeg have certainly performed well so far. Their dealing fees put me off as I'm a cheapskate but ymmv.

Look at P2P lending for an alternative (or additional) way to get a pretty reliable 12%+

Isn't p2p lending in the UK still unregulated?

Best site for p2p lending?

Anyone with some good advice on lending and also roi figures?

all of those are grandpa tier

OP needs bitcoin if he doesn't want to commit suicide later in regret on missing on the big fat boat thats comming

>taking financial advice from someone that can't spell "coming."
>ever

In that case, buy a tip sheet and play the ponies. Or buy 14 thousand scratch off tickets. Or put it all on Red 23.

ETF
T
F

No, no, no... Place one unit on the line to Pass, two units on 6 and 8, cover the respective Hardways, hop it when you have a "feeling" and roll the dice twenty times before sevening-out. Collect twice then press on the 6 and 8 whichever comes first.

Seems to me 99% of Veeky Forums do their own finances which they give advice do others on, how many of you guys have or are financial advisers?

I find the investment culture & environment in the US fascinating.

Here's a serious reply.

Do you have any debt? Credit cards, student loans, car payment? Pay off your highest interest debt first. Keep at least $1,000 in the bank as a small emergency fund.

Have you paid off your debt? Then build your emergency fund back up. You want 3-6 months of living expenses in the bank. This is your freedom from worry in the event you lose your income.

No debt, and 3-6 months of living expenses saved? Max your retirement accounts. Just use a target date fund; it's easy and cheap. Use tax-advantaged retirement accounts first, such as a 401(k) or Roth IRA. Prioritize any account where you get an employer match. The employer match is free money.

Finished maxing your tax-advantaged accounts? Open a taxable brokerage account. I personally use Vanguard and follow a "3-fund portfolio strategy" - VTIAX, VTSAX, and VBTLX. These have some of the lowest possible rates out there, and low costs are the best predictors of long-term performance.

It's a lot to throw out there, but if you focus on a high savings rate and maintain discipline with transportation and housing costs, you'll get there.

I'm 31. When I graduated college, my net worth was negative $23,000. Today, it's about $390,000. I woke up when I was 23 and turned my financial future around.

Will you?

here is your options op

no job yet - 7k savings, 3k vanguard account - vtsax - contribute some small amount monthly to it from your remaining funds. when you have job start contributing to the regular version of vtsax account monthly from your pay, some small amount you can afford.

have job - 10k vanguard admiral shares vtsax - contribute monthly from your job to this account - reason - lower fees, job stability = more able to sit in your account for greater growth

you could get fancy and shit but at your age its just better to get started

>I woke up when I was 23 and turned my financial future around.
>Will you?
Nope. Because I'm not some fucking retard who took 23 years to figure out this basic shit.