Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn Steps Down

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-23/nissan-savior-ghosn-hands-keys-to-new-ceo-to-focus-on-alliance
>Carlos Ghosn is relinquishing his CEO role at Nissan Motor Co. and turning over day-to-day control to Hiroto Saikawa as he focuses on strengthening the carmaker’s alliance with Renault SA and Mitsubishi Motors Corp.

>The move caught some observers by surprise. Only last October, Nissan elevated Saikawa to the co-CEO position along side Ghosn. However, the strategic challenges facing Nissan and its French alliance partner Renault have prompted the 62-year-old executive to step back. Ghosn continues on as chairman of Nissan and the CEO and chairman of Renault. He’s also chairman of Mitsubishi Motors, a strategic partner 34 percent owned by Nissan that’s trying to regain consumers’ trust from a months-long fuel economy scandal.

>Ghosn built his reputation on one of the best turnaround efforts at Nissan, which he brought back from the brink of bankruptcy and is now bigger and generates more profits than Renault. In his time as CEO, Ghosn has steered Nissan to more than double the number of cars sold to about 5.6 million last year and increase the operating profit margin to 6.5% from about 1%. He’s also been crucial to holding the Renault-Nissan partnership together, according to Maryann Keller, independent auto analyst in Stamford, Connecticut.

>By adding Mitsubishi Motors to the group, Ghosn is attempting to meld three carmakers into a partnership that sold almost 10 million vehicles combined last year. That put it just shy of the top three carmaker groups led by Volkswagen AG. Among the first results of cooperation between the three companies, Renault, Nissan and Mitsubishi Motors will share a common platform for a budget electric vehicle in China, Ghosn said.

Thoughts Veeky Forums?
I've often heard he was the driving force that got the Japanese board to accept the idea of the Leaf.

He decided to bring Alpine back.
He's fine by my book.

Wonder how many cocks one has to suck to land a gig like that

We JUST had this thread
>nissan is shit
>renault is shit
>mitsubishi is shit
Combined they will make a large shit

He needs to release the cummins powered frontier. Until then he is a giant cuck.

BUILD IDX NOW

I imagine he's stepping away from Nissan' day-to-day operations in order to focus on correcting Mitsubishi's balance sheet, just as he did with Nissan. Ghosn is a beancounter.

>Nissan's best looking vehicle is the Frontier
>same styling since 2005

Nissan sucks, frankly. It does turn a profit now though, so yay Ghosn I guess.

>and increase the operating profit margin to 6.5% from about 1%
Oh so he's the reason that 2.5l Altimas are sticker priced at 35k at my dealership.

This.

Nissan has 3 fucking mid sized sedans now and their cvt is shit and they don't make ANY sports or high end performance cars. They have the 370z and then a massive fucking jump to the gtr

They don't have anything like the Honda civic si or the type r. They have that retarded blob of a juke type r but is that really a sporty hatch?

They should bring back the r34 skyline

God thats so sexy.
I hope to christ itll be good and brought to the states in manual.
Might seriously consider getting one in the future.

>ITT: A man no one has ever heard of did something

i wonder how would nissan look like if it weren't for him, outdated pieces of shit from the '80s RB engines would probably still be used to this day

nissan fanboys bitch about him all the time because he killed the sports cars but in reality he saved Nissan, without him they'd be Isuzu tier

They tried to be cool with the 2017 turbo sentra which is offered in a manual, but it's just a juke engine and has significantly less horsepower/torque than the elantra sport which also uses a 1.6l turbo (out of the veloster).

It also has a much shittier interior with no leather seats and costs more.

why should they? they produce what sells the most, not what pleases some niche market

god i swear some people have absolutely no idea how money works

Jesus christ that's awful

They could have just put their big 3.6l 4 cylinder in the sentra

This isn't some niche market it's simple shit that everyone does to have a simple model and then a sportier version of that car that's bigger faster stronger

They have THREE fucking mid sized sedans

Imagine a Nissan Pulsar Nismo.

At least it would get the trophy of the ugliest sport compact hands down.

It's better to die a hero than see yourself become the enemy.

>autistically focusing on one word

again, sports cars aren't profitable, simple as that. now grow up and buy a mid sized sedan

I work at a Nissan dealer and I would say 90% or more of the customers are female or are a couple, in which case it's just the wife making the husband buy a Nissan because she wants it.

So really, they should be targeting the male market, not a niche market.

Oh wait I forgot about the niggers that buy altimas and maximas but that's rare cause niggers don't generally have 30k+ to drop on a new car.

How does the nissan do at dealerships. Its a dinosaur buts its an honest truck. One of the last honest trucks.

>the nissan
nissan what? I'm guessing Frontier since you said it's a dinosaur and a truck. Anyway, it doesn't sell worth a shit now that you mention it. Can't remember that last time we sold one, probably like 2 months ago? Unless they sold one when I was off. The ones we do sell are usually the stripper models with stick shift because they're under 20k msrp OR the occasional pro4x cause those are kind of neat looking. The Titan sells a lot better because I live in the south and a lot of rednecks buy the Cummins Titan. Rednecks don't usually like trucks that aren't V8

Yes the frontier truck sorry. On mobile and lack of sleep. Thanks for reply famalam.

Good.
Make nissan great again.
Really wish they start making cars that appeal to me again.

Any chance of the nissan frontier with the cummins? If they can sell that and price it under 40k they could rape the midsize market.

Fucking gmc wants close to 50k for the canyon with the duramax. Might as well buy fullsize. When will they fucking learn.

>also 84 month financing WTF IS UP WITH THAT.

of course you do, faggot

>wont bring back the Silvia because they claim there isn't a market for affordable sports cars

>ignores the sales of the GT86/BRZ, Camaro, Mustang, etc.

Renault-Nissan can kiss my ass.

I just work at a dealership so I don't have any inside knowledge but I doubt they would put the cummins in the frontier, would be pretty awesome though. Except there's no chance it would be under 40k lol, Nissans get pricey as fuck the fully loaded PRO-4x frontiers are already over 40k sticker price.

>GT86/BRZ
Considered to have disappointing sales numbers everywhere
>Camaro, Mustang
Muscle cars, a type of car that only sells in the american market.
Not to say they couldn't pierce through with a quality product, but they do have a point, there isn't a big enough market for a new Silvia to justify the expense. Especially when you are still recovering from years of being shit and not selling, which is why Nissan has played so safely for a while

>implying a Spec-R cost as much as an 86 with inflation accounted for
>implying the base trim NA SR20 Silvias weren't slow as dogshit
>implying the same busriding scum won't just whinge about poor lap times from the cheap S16

good, nissans of late fucking suck. 240sx sss bluebird edition when?

>power that was outdated 20 years ago
>less torque than a masturbating chinaman's elbow
Of course it sold like shit. The fuck were Toyobaru expecting when they agreed to green light this fucking car.

A new competitor for the BRZGT86 AND the muscle trio would just further obscure the 370z, which has sold reliably for a while now, so I dont think that they would take a risk there, either.