Generators and other useful resources
pastebin.com/aeg28Ktm (embed) (embed)
[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
yanfly.moe/
[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List
Collection of old RPGM games
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz0L3Pxrc8tqfnB1dFhTZHZwSV91cW1KMW9wcUM2WHhwSFFFMUVJX0pEYVExMndNLWtXbGs&usp=sharing

The /rpgmg/ podcast:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A

/rpgmg/ Chain/Collaboration Game!
Currently working:
Bubbles !u696zUYxpM
Version 13B: mediafire.com/download/89tsrb5ka31g36h/rpgmgcollab_v13B.zip

Latest SteelZeroes Demo!
mediafire.com/?7j353lkhfpnnx27

Tomb of Friends demo pep.itch.io/tomb-of-friends-demo

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/prutte-1
youtu.be/6F_IekIE4LI
store.steampowered.com/app/554600/
store.steampowered.com/app/438270/
youtube.com/watch?v=453AovzHXBE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Previous thread

>tfw thread is kill

Made any progress last month /rpgmg/?

Not at all, February is gonna be better.

redesigning one level... i don't even know how important it will be...

Nope. Spent most of my time working on an Excel sheet for a fa/tg/uy friend of mine.

> For a game intended to recover HP to full at the start of every fight, animations need to be faster. You need a way to quickly burn through both sides' resources so that random battles don't turn into slogs.
> If enemies use predictable patterns, what variety do random battles give? Since you recover to full after every fight, is it only the enemy selection? What if a player has already fought every iteration multiple times, would there still be a "point" to the random battles?

Oh. The game wouldn't have random battles. The original concept would have been a bit like Claymore. The city/town is infested with "demons" who disguise themselves as humans. You go around talking to people to find out who are the "demons". Some "demons" would have instantly attacked you if you approach them, some might have pretend to be humans and later use the chance to escape when you leave their room, some would lead you into traps, some might have taken hostages, etc. Thus there would be plenty of room to breathe between fights.

I am not sure about how I'd go about things now that I sorta decided against demons, though.

>I feel that one action per "round" is too little for this kind of tactical fighting. My suggestion is to have 2 or even 3 actions per "round", but most spell require 2-4 symbols channeled/mantras chanted before release. The problem is the 0MP extra damage thing. Maybe you can't channel after release until the next round?
But would the enemies have multiple actions as well? What if you had two or three playable characters?

>Attacks deal extra damage when your MP is 0
This seems like a really good option.

>If you have 1 symbol channeled, your attack takes on the property of that symbol
>If you have multiple symbols channeled, your attack gains all those properties, but you lose all channeled symbols. You can channel again in the same round.
These are a bit hard to balance while keeping consistency, though.

Any one here doing an earthbound/mother/OFF/omori/knuckle sandwich/glitched/undertale clone?

Reposting version 1.3.4
#!60dAnDqK!wjae7ieRU-AGXiU_WDLTxMnl7J-XtSG4V2QuOUBKuMk

Post progress Anons

Stay alive

Been working on implementing the 4th party member.
She specializes on buffs/debuffs

I'm taking inspiration from Mother 3 for the art style, but the tone of the game is much more lighthearted and the gameplay is similar to Paper Mario.

>Heals with the power of love

Actually, yes. I've made a big, horror-themed side-quest for shits and giggles. I've also made some progress on one of the optional dungeons, but, unfortunately, I couldn't finish it in January as I planned... And also - two additional thematic tilesets, some icons and battle sprites.

Hopefully, I'll be able to do more this month.

My game is literally a big OFF reference, disguised as Earthbound clone, but it still have a lot of elements to (I hope) stand on its own.

Show me your last boss

Tell me your story in up to 5 sentences

Robots rock, aliens are dicks.

Wake up
Grab a brush and put a little make-up
Hide the scars to fade away the shake-up
Why'd you leave the keys upon the table?
Here you go create another fable

I feel a deep sense of shame every time I post in here because it's been so long and I have nothing to really show for it.

trying to write an acoustic song but I need some progressions.

give me 4-5 random numbers between 1-6 pls

figured I'd ask here since I'm a piece of shit coder.

How would I set up an event that gives you a random item of a list of 50 or so, some repeating? or possibly a list of 15 items with different probabilities of them?

you madman

Person who wrote the music for the Tomb of Friends demo here.

What were you guys opinion on the soundtrack?

Was it good or bad?

Any thoughts or anything you feel could be improved?

bump

Can you link your music?

I think it was really fitting, I like it.

I got a good start on my world map tileset, and I've been doing a lot of plot work. Act 1 is basically sorted out, except there's one bit I might cut out (I like it but it messes with the pacing).

soundcloud.com/prutte-1

Just throwing ideas around, hoping something will stick.

How long is an average battle? That's an important thing to keep track of, although you have a lot more leeway without random battles.

Been a while since I played it but I remember really enjoying it.

Did it work?

You missed the part where user wanted to be able to weight the selection so that some were more likely than others.

Here's a solution in MV that allows that.

Damn that works much better. I feel like a retard now

BUMP

Only about 15 more things on the to-do list before demo time! How are your projects going?

I make a little progress each day!
I was able to crush some plotholes yesterday and that feels good.

I have an extremely rough all-rtp version of act 1 basically done. When I finished that I decided that I needed to buckle down and actually write the whole script before doing any more in-editor work, and I'm currently agonizing over the plot.

Writing is really hard. I can't decide how much "stop the apocalypse" this should be versus "stop a tyrannical ruler" versus "get revenge on the guy who betrayed you."

A little progress is still progress! Good work!

Writing is extremely hard, I feel you. I think the answers to those plot questions should reflect the gameplay as well as the lore of your world. Is your game supposed to be more political? More "stop a tyrannical ruler/revenge". More adventure/party development? More "Stop the apocalypse", etc.

Which one?
This is related to my game somewhat

Completely opaque, but you should be going for zettai ryouiki instead of full stockings.

That's a good idea, maybe I will do this.

youtu.be/6F_IekIE4LI

New podcast, everybody! A quick trip through the "Do"s and "Don't"s of Quest Design. What was the last game you dropped, and why? I ended up with a list of about a dozen RPGs I stopped playing for one reason or another.

Shoutouts to Karbonic for the thumbnail, and Tomb Dude for being an awesome dude.

>What was the last game you dropped
Every game I've played in recent memory teebeehonest

Not the last game I dropped but I really disliked Castle Crashers.
Controls were an absolute mess on the PC and the gameplay was one giant clusterfuck, I lost sight of my character a couple of times because of effects everywhere, wasn't very fun. But the worst part was the attempted humor of the game. Defecating animals are not funny to me at all. But the devs really like this and even put this in their next game.

I stopped playing Wild Arms because the combat was way too slow. I played through it a long time ago, but just can't bring myself to watch 10 second animations. I also think that sprite/pixel work looks leagues better than the ps1 era low-poly. Some games did it well but WildArms was not one of those games.

store.steampowered.com/app/554600/
Why haven't you learned Japanese with the power of the RPG Maker yet?

New screenshots!

worked for giving a random item! gonna try to combine with the other screen posted to make it show the info of what you got

I played Castle Crashers for a bit, and what really got me is how THIN everyone is. Hitting something a tiny bit above or beneath you is a crapshoot. It's supposed to be a casual game, but it's hard to relax while playing with both the wonky hitboxes and the on-screen chaos

>store.steampowered.com/app/554600/
Does it just teach katakana? I already know katakana.

Fuck the identical-looking ones though. ソ & ン ; ツ & シ

Yes but there is also this.
store.steampowered.com/app/438270/
I haven't played them, though.

Other than work ethic, what's everyone's weakest skill when it comes to RPG maker/game making?

So these games basically teach the alphabet and act like they're teaching japanese.

Making music

coding for sure although I'm pretty bad at almost everything

motivation

Bump it

Probably story. I can come up with an overall plot, but actually putting it together is really hard for me.

I am trying to finish my story for my game, I have a plot outline, a very simple straightforward objective for the player some good lore hidden around the place for players to find on their own ect.

However where I am struggling is the right amount of edge, I may or may not be pic related and want some angry ass protagonist. The plot's main theme is nihilism, the man who set the stage for the game and the big bad wanted to end the world because it was fucked. Rather then preach "you have to have hope hurr durr" I'd rather the morale be "You have to deal with harsh reality and make the best of it." without falling into the protagonist rut of "friendship :)" or any other bullshit like that.

Is that /too/ much?

The internet meme-fueled mentality of I'm-too-cool-for-sadness shouldn't influence your writing. Just let whatever you have to "say" be organic/not forced. Let the events play out and speak for themselves. If the story is sincere while being sincerely dark, then there's nothing wrong with that.

Hey, general question that doesn't belong here but I want some help. I'm a retard and have a virus that keeps on creating a file in my local appdata and is consistently running two regsvrs that I can't stop. I can't go to a previous restore point. What can I do to get rid of this?

Genuflect
Which anti virus are you using?

Haha
Microsoft Security Essentials™

You can do that but the execution will be difficult. You have to show how the world is fucked in a way that won't be cartoony, yet not ambiguous enough that there will be some player who will think "hey, this isn't such a big deal and everyone are being babies about it." Same with MC. Making him go full edgelord with no redeeming qualities, will make the players unable to care about him.

Also that "you have to deal with harsh reality" is some kind of hope you create yourself, so the line dividing what you want and don't want to do is blurry.

My advice is that you write at least three paragraphs of your plot and read them aloud. If you're cringed by them, then you need to rework them. But the idea is good if you can pull it off.

Search for the virus' name on the Internet and find out what can kill it

The name of the folder it creates is "3aba497". It also created Abkpworks and Esdtion folders, which I've managed to remove. Searching up either of those names brings up nothing.

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Oh man I thought the free version was a trial and I already went through the whole trial. That should work, sorry for being a retard.

Second last one. Also don't listen to the user. Pantyhose is love.

What is your MC's greatest fear?

Reminder to back your shit up in multiple ways. My laptop died and my last backup on the cloud was from September, so I thought I had lost way too much progress.

Thankfully the HDD was not the problem, so I was able to recover everything and I'm going back in to work on it.

Don't ever give up.

Glad to hear that your project isn't lost.
I can't really use a cloud service, because my upload is really slow but I do have an external HDD which I keep up to date.

Good night bump

bumble bump

5th one (top right).

The World Ends With You is one of the few RPGs that did this right. Neku is a snarky asshole for most of the game, but he learns to open up in a fairly believeable way. Your MC doesn't have to open up much, but they do need to get less annoying to the player as time goes on.

good morning bump

Does anything special happen when the player dies in your game?

I'd like it to be where they go back to a checkpoint and lose their currency, but they can work their way back to the area they died at to find their currency again.

But then I'm not sure if that ends up too easy, or too punishing. I don't even know how doable that is in the default MV system. Maybe I'll just have it cut their currency in half with no other extras.

Bump

Some kind of change in the MC needs to occur as the game progresses. I think an equally interesting one would be an initially optimistic and determined MC who eventually evolves into a jaded and cynical anti-hero as the world shits on him would be interesting.

I'm too afraid of "nerfing" difficulty by making death less significant

Do you guys ever self-censor planned plot/visuals in fear of potential backlash?

Not really. What did you specifically have in mind?

never, but I'm not worried about sales, so...

guys important question -- is RPGMV worth it?
I found myself getting increasingly frustrated with the limitations of RPGVXAce but I can't code worth a damn in Ruby...

what are the pros and cons of upgrading my project ~15% of the way through the game? is there anything I should know about MV that might be a dealbreaker? Price really isn't an issue

oh shit, I just read that the default tile-size for MV is 48x48 and not 32x32... what the fuck? that can be changed, right? why would they not make it a power of 2????

It can be with fixed but it's not perfect. If you've created your own assets it might not be as bad because you can tweak them to make them bigger. But if you got them somewhere else... might be a little more work.

>It can be with fixed but it's not perfect.
can you elaborate? I assume you mean you can't mod the map editor to work with 32x32?

its just dumb on their part, not making it a factor of 2 and then making it impossible to use all the old pixel art assets... virtually every RPG in existence ever created uses 16x16 or 32x32..

Well 48x48 is a power of 16...

But a YouTuber has gone through trying to change the MV size to XV Ace. It's also kinda enjoyable seeing how me messes up.

youtube.com/watch?v=453AovzHXBE

its standard to use scaling like
2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, etc

no idea why they chose 48x48

I don't know. Either use XV Ace, Change your game to 48x48 and use MV, do what the video said or cry about it and don't make any progress.

I've had to stop myself from making a lot of dick jokes. For a while, I felt like I should make some female characters to balance out my all-male party, but then I decided that that would just bloat the cast and take screen time away from the characters I've already got planned out and created this project for to begin with. My next stories and concepts will have more girls, but this one being a sausage fest is fine, it even suits it thematically more or less.

>cry about it and don't make any progress
then I would be like you :(