/ORG/: Winter Edition V8.0

Good job exhausting the response limit instead of the image limit for once. Maybe out last winter edition. Overlanding adventures, anyone?

Add yourself to our map:
zeemaps.com/map?group=2389619

Last thread:
>rooftop tents
>new bumpers
>broken windows
>goat returns
>sightseeing
>more overlanding talk
>light discussion
>overlanding!

Add yourself to the map so we can overland together!
zeemaps.com/map?group=2389619

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/KC-HiLiTES-630-Daylighter-Chrome/dp/B0007O8S44/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1487903651&sr=1-7&keywords=kc daylighters
amazon.ca/KC-HiLiTES-151-Apollo-Driving/dp/B006V7TBBA/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1487903651&sr=1-4&keywords=kc daylighters
milestartire.com/tires/patagonia-mt.html
youtu.be/J6NuhlibHsM?t=50
advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-bam-road-ultimate-test-of-man-and-machine.533442/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Brb adding myself to the map twice

Thanks for answers to my light query. As a reward a pretty road and a nice view it leads to.

By the by, wifey and I are likely moving back to JP near the end of the year. The Goat will have to find new roads with new doggos and wifeys. Keep your peepers out August/September.

Otay! Are you shipping the little Goat back or are are you keeping 'er around? I will.. gladly house the Goat in the meantime (;

Seems like an appropriate time to relive this maymay.

Well you started the thread with my picture so I guess I'll add myself to the map...

would it be worth tracking down a rooftop tent to adapt to my trucks pipe rack?

With luck, I'll have a new batch of pictures of innawoods Ouray a few months prior to the move.

Not coming back, so it's sell and move on. Will look for a true Jimny when we get back to Nipponland. Used to ride in my homies Jimny... Part of the reason I got the Goat.

Will stop flooding with pics now. Gotta go eat shabu shabu.

That rack would need serious work to accomodate a tent

Flood with pics, yours are pretty cool. I'm a sucker for landscape shots

Here's one my buddy took from Molybdenite ridge near Lilooet, BC

My truck is down there somewhere, but his camera is waaaaay better than mine

>checks map
why is there not a california butt orgy going on rn

i can add cross rails to the rack or lop the verticals off. its all custom made but i dont have much use for it 95% of the time.
i just hate to throw away a perfectly good rack, especially one built this well.
>maybe i should just get a hitop and built a balcony level

also so guy 4thunkin in moab

HOW MUCH!?!?!!? I WANT TO BUY IT.
Also when are you selling!?

Also that's really cool. Why are you moving to Niptopia? Just came back from the Chinkland in December but was on biz so I didn't manage to stop off over in the banana islands like i wanted to.

I would maybe try these on for size.
amazon.ca/KC-HiLiTES-630-Daylighter-Chrome/dp/B0007O8S44/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1487903651&sr=1-7&keywords=kc daylighters
amazon.ca/KC-HiLiTES-151-Apollo-Driving/dp/B006V7TBBA/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1487903651&sr=1-4&keywords=kc daylighters

Those bulbs should be more than enough for your purposes and you can always upgrade when / if you need stronger. Two should also be enough.

Also, I'm going to slightly autise a bit with the red light:
Wavelength of the light is indirectly proportional to the refractive index (how much the light scatters and diffuses into nothing). With the equation, the longer (larger) the wavelength (the more red it is), the less it will scatter. This means it pierces harder than blue lights do. Dry air has natural refractive index (how much it inhibits the travel of light) and so does water.

The downside of red light is that it creates heat beacuse you can never pinpoint the exact wavelength of light you can create. You create a range of light. So if you want to generate 600nm light, you have to generate something ilke 450-800nm of light. And when you do, it generates a lot of waste heat.
LEDs get around this by shifting the light spectrum to 250-550 as this user shows: . This also means it doesn't pierce as well but saves a tremendous amount of energy by only generating blue light.

The biggest problem with that rack is its way too wide. Next biggest problem.is its way too high.

My 4runner doesn't have sway bars, and those things weigh a good 150lbs. You'll definitely notice it up there but if you're a decent fabricator and have access to a welder, you can theoretically make anything work

I added a couple leafs into the 63" Chevy's I'm running in the rear so I hope it stiffens it up enough or I'll have to throw some airbags in for highway use.

These are my two main camping buddy's trucks for reference on how their tents are set up.

The only reason the old pickups rack is so high, is because he needed it to be a good height for his Tacoma as well because he swaps it between trucks

This was the last trip I spent in a ground tent and these two persuaded me that I needed the Tepui

>and these two persuaded me that I needed the Tepui
That's pretty much how Taynger gets built but with farmers instead... hehehe. Damn offroad peer pressure moneypit. I used to get along fine with a stock vehicle until you people got to me

That Nissan on the left looks really damn cool. Especially with the solid bed in the back to be camped out.

im just spitballing, i dont do a lot of overlanding on 4 wheels so i dont have any good system or anything yet.
im more of a bike guy still.

What swag do you use, I need a new one.

Because everyone's "too far away" even though we're only like a half hour away if we meet halfway

swag?
laymens terms m8

yeah, we are secretly all to socially awkward to talk irl. duh

tent

Hey guys, do you have any suggestions for a truck under $5000? I'm thinking of buying something on the side so I can pick up car parts, take to the grocery store, and maybe go camping in. Preferably not a V8 since I already /gofast/ in my car, just something with decent MPG and maybe something that looks cool with some bars on it.

oh, that was some cheapo coffin shaped one i found at eds surplus for $40
i changed up to a new tent since that one started leaking all over the place
the one i have now is a Marmot Ajax 3 but i havent been able to test it yet

An actual truck with a bed or a camper style too? Because technically Broncos and Land Cruisers are "trucks".

I've gone to S/o/Cal meets before and they're always fun as shit even if we don't do much driving. Even if we don't do an /org/ meet y'all should do the monthly meets they're pretty hella

>hella
i thought this was so-cal

>awkward young/newfag in a jeep going to a meet that is predominantly road driving

plz, no

I'm also pretty young and for some meets we just get food and go to K1

That electric go kart place you goto for your 12th birthday? That k1? Ya'll goto a fucking electric go kart place? wtf.

Thanks for the light links.
Probably sell in Aug/Sept
Dunno asking price yet. Might have more "features" by then.

As for 日本... Used to live there. Married wifey and got doggo there. Liked it more than USA. Coming back to Burgerland seems like a failed experiment. So, it's back to Karaokestan.

r8 my tax return present
2011 ranger

Aight well if you don't want to go that badly I'll stop

Also K1 is fun if you go with friends and it's a good way to learn your racing line don't knock it till you try it

>body lift kit

THICC

Keep /ORG/ in mind because I'd love to buy that modified Tracker if I hadn't found a cheep jeap heep yet!

Well that's all well and good. But what tyres are you getting that have to be at least 34s?

Also get those tension bars up an inch!

I go go karting all the time, but with gas karts, I'm just fucking with you that shit's fun as hell. I'd be down for some kartin if I went

>this isn't the most metal shit to exist
end yourself

Why the fuck are these things so expensive?

I'd prefer a bed.

T-thanks?

Also anyone have experience with Milestar tires?
looking at some Patagonia m/t hard to argue with (metric)33s for 156 a pop
milestartire.com/tires/patagonia-mt.html

32" all terrain all seasons
because people will pay, my first ranger was only 6,000 but even my 2011 was over 10,000

Mileage and location? Love me a Ranger Master Race start off in /ORG/ :)

I fit in 32s with no lift and they gave me more than enough clearance to tackle trails with the skid plates, sliders, and bumper.
I got a 2 inch lift in the future and maybe a torsion adjust to make it look better. But right now, she's fine for tackling trails as she is.

this was her first time out
currently at 160,000 km

how she currently looks
32" blizzaks

Is that outside a Costco?

Also nice. I'm probably not going to do the back lift since I don't need it when hauling stuff (I haul more volume than weight anyway). Just do a front levellers.
You can definitely fit 34s in there, senpai.

hi

so ronery

anyway

Is taylor_swift ded?

haha yea man in edmonton, there is a booster pack in the back and i've cut holes to wire a solar panel into the bed. heading to jasper for march break camping

Where the fuck did all these people on the map come from?

Oh hecc, I dun got bamboozled

Well S/o/Cal meet or not, I want to do an /org/ meet anyways since i want to do some hektik SLOWROLLING™ with other off-roaders. One of these days!

>Hella 4000s
Aw yeah. Still running halogens or have you HID swapped them?

>March Break
>relevant
are you and/or your kids 12 years old?

I really need to start checking and update my map.

God I wish I were ded.

military short days, but the mental capacity of a 12 year old yes

Really want to get into off-roading. I think it would be a lot more fun than another sports car.

Send pics of the booster bls. I'm looking at dual battery setups for Taynger as whale. Probably under the rear wheelwell. Driver's side.

I'm almost sure that's how everyone starts. There's only so much you can do with a sportscar and only so fast you can go with a limited budget (like under 50k for projects).

Compared to really high end sportscars, offroading is cheap as shit. All you need is something to tow it there... :^)

i don't have a pic but its similar to this motomaster eliminator and its just tucked behind passenger side wheelwell

Oh you mean a legit booster. I was going to spend the grand to get a double battery pack in the back.

Some guy on here said I could do it for only $700 and might just do that now. Pic related a setup if you were slightly interested in converting your Ranger into a camper.

That is. uh- not the right picture.

haha yes made my night. also thanks for the diagram. the vehicles i work on use 24 volt systems with an inverter in the rear for heat and power so i totally get what your going for

>military short days
What is this.. I'm not getting a march break, what sort of nonner/pog are you??

>zipties guns together

Oh my god

2 shorts for march and my last annual day plus sat/sun
also the worst kind of pog, a maintainer

It'd be nice to just get yourself a deep 24V battery for your vehicle but honestly, looking into the conversions, it's much easier to just do a double 12V battery system.

Where are you stationed and with which branch?

edmonton/ eme

>2 shorts for march and my last annual day plus sat/sun
I literally have no idea what that meant, sorry.

>also the worst kind of pog, a maintainer
Hah no worries, I'm cyber but we're "ops" so 12's it is :^)

depending on dude in charge they can authorize two days off per month and annual days are like 20 days a year you can request off

haha all good

How much were your bumper/winch. Did you get the RCI front and transfer case skid plates?

taytay what the ever loving fuck are you doing in that picture? Is that you? pls tell me you're not this autistic IRL

Oh you ARE one of the worst kind of pogs who remain in the greater city area. Yeah we used to make fun of those people who were in CFB Trenton and drove home every night after their shifts were over. The ones who weren't also civies too, hehehe.
I think the old brig. actually bought a house and moved there so he could stop charging the tax payers for his room/ board when on site. What a nice man. They didn't let him, though (in cases of emergencies or whatever). Things are more lax over here.

Hey what made you decide to get a Ranger in the first place? I got mine because hauling chemicals or whatever.

T A Y N G E R

Are you trying to run 24v?

12v batteries can be had at a decent price from Sam's Club, and I've found that 12v is more than adequate to run any sort of electronics or lighting. They even make electric coolers that are pretty energy efficient to keep food cold. My uncle is a long-haul trucker so he lives in the 12v world.

I don't think I'd try electric heat, the energy requirements are too high to run off battery alone, and if you're going to idle the engine that makes tons of heat on it's own.

Oh you guys are maple warriors, no wonder I was so confused. There's a bunch of ya'll here at NORAD HQ.

no winch currently and the bumper is stock just minus the black valence. i do however have the 3 skid plates that came in the fxii package.

moving furniture/ lumber and i liked how upright the driver seat is AND my head doesn't hit the ceiling. I def love my ranger

im off to bed but its been fun

Nice. When I was building my lab, scrap lumber meant free wood. Probably saved $2000 that way. Must be a really nice help in Edmonton, too.

Also, user (and edmonfag). If you were asking me, my bumper cost me $800 bare steel made by the local (my local) fabricator. ARB costs too much in mapleland but would be a good choice if you're a burger and especially if you're in 'Straya. The winch I got $300 Tundra Tested cheapest option on sale but would recommend instead going with the Warn or others when they're on sale and you have a Jewpon (that they always release).

Where are you located and what are you thinking of doing?

I never actually got to enlistment out of cadets. Spent two summers as a drill commander until I started being so lazy they kicked me out.

I now just larp innawoods instead of being forced by the NCOs to undergo 2 day sleep deprivation training in which they would dress up as ghosts and trigger your sleep induced delerium. then wake you up at 4am yelling UP TWO UP TWO so your instincts kick in and get bumrushed by the platoon behind you. MREs ruined egg omelettes for me FOREVER.

Anyway, I am not doing 24v as it would make my life needless complicated. I just want to drive down to south Michigan so that FODGE guy can maybe doing a wiring job on Taynger and save me $500 on my dual 12V battery setup.

I'm the dude with pic related ranger and I was thinking about getting the superlift but I think just armoring up and putting 32s on for some more trail capability.

Jesus christ was that boot camp or just cadet BS? In the AF our boot camp was basically building your ability to follow inane instructions to the letter, in high stress situations.

>save me $500 on my dual 12V battery setup

What are you trying to do? Depending on the complexity of your setup, you should be able to rig up dual batteries with:
>battery isolator
>relay
>in-dash voltmeter
>switch
>small length of 00 gauge wire
>6 gauge wire
>wire lugs

Shouldn't run you much more than $200 for the whole setup, including a big "commercial" battery from sam's club.

The reason I'm so interested is because I've been considering doing something similar with my Pathfinder.

$250 battery (maybe 500 deep cycle)
$400 300A diode relay, switch operated OR:
$550 500A relay with sensor when B1 is on low life
$100 with appropriate wires and switch placement inside the cab
$200 batter mount shopped out of steel

That's $1500 together if I choose the 500A system. OTherwise, it's just under $1200. I was hoping to go down to the Fodge guy in Michigan so he can save me on the diode relays and I could buidl my own steel cage for the battery. Maybe even if I built a faraday cage around it, it'll be EMP proof for MAXIMUM LARP AUTISM.

With those sleep deprivation training, we were told we'd go on a nice little barrack trip for 3 days shooting and doing drill. But instead it was 1 day of unpacking and 2 days of innawood officer hunting. Fuck were were only cadets.
CFB Trenton treated us much nicer, though. Spaghetti bacon MREs were the shit. So were those packages of coffee that no one mixed into water. I remember snorting half the packages just to stay awake from the pain of my nose.
Good times.

For a second I thought you were Edmonton Ranger.
But superlift would be annoying on the torsions. So just do what I did with 32s, armour, and all.

PAy the extra $300-$500 for the winch though. Also the bumper might be cheaper for you since you're in Cali. what are solids looking like?

Yeah I gotta sleep too. Hop on in tomorrow since I called in sick the next two days and just sit here shitposting and making soup.
>tfw cancelled winter wheeling plans because of this bullshit
>tfw friends invited me out of sushi but rather die

Night, /ORG/

NO TAY
GET BACK HERE AND EXPLAIN THIS
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Imma go out on a limb here and say that's not TayPoster :v

>500A relay
Whaaaaat? You keying up your 2.5 KW transmitter to paint half of North America with signal?

This was my pricing:

>$100 70AH battery from Sam's, probably the biggest I can fit in my engine bay
>$40 200A battery isolator "Stinger", Amazon
>$8 dash voltmeter, Amazon
>$1 toggle switch
>$5 inline fuse holder
>$10 for 0 gauge in-bay battery cable
>$25 for 8 gauge cable to cabin connector
>$10 for speakon connectors
>$20 for misc lugs and shit
>?? for battery mount.

If I'm right, that's a system that can do a 20w load for over 2 days, with extreme safety and in dash control + monitoring.

Either way, you're asleep now, sweet dreams tayposter.

>Also the bumper might be cheaper for you since you're in Cali. what are solids looking like
No clue, haven't visited any shops yet

how did you dirt hoons sleep tonight?

pretty well friend! except I got woke up by a fox doing one of those weird calls and had to yell out my window.
that shit seriously sounds like a woman screaming for her life.

heres what it sounded like:
youtu.be/J6NuhlibHsM?t=50

dammit that was supposed to be copied to 50 seconds
fucking jewtube

>too lazy/scaref to wire up a dual battery system so I am buying an arkpak

How much of a /cuck/ am I?

>that user who wants to drive the BAM road
You're gonna die if you try to do it alone.

advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-bam-road-ultimate-test-of-man-and-machine.533442/

It's Friday so I got to sleep in today. Good shite.

I'll be taking off my shell since I have to haul some furniture from the desert this weekend. Hopefully I'll get to do some 'froading while I'm out there

Safe travels doggo

>tfw the damn ebay seller actually takes the full 3-day handling time to stick your package in the mail

Got off work 23 o'clock slept pretty bad for about 4 hours, woke up dead and went to work again.

Managed to fall asleep by about 1:30AM, slept until 12:30.

I hate being sick.

Woke up quick at about noon.
Just thought that I had to be in Denver soon.
Gotta get stoned before the day begins,
Before they wifey starts bitchin about my spends.

Friend gave me xanax for my inability to remain asleep when sick. Took it at midnight and shitposted on /org/ with some fellow Rangerfags then knocked out at 2am until 2pm.
Feels good mayne.

Head's killing me now tho.

No weed for you in Niptopia. Hope your asshole is big enough (;

>falling for the medical jew
ISHYGDDT