/mhg/ - Monster Hunter General

>News
MHXX is due out for 3DS in Japan on March 18.
Trailer 1: youtube.com/watch?v=5VV5-opm1TE
Trailer 2: youtube.com/watch?v=XiOBszkWCp0
Spoiler: youtube.com/watch?v=iJAaJHeuNg8

>I have a question!
pastebin.com/7Aa6HxUh
Includes links to the FAQ, weapon guides, charm info, and more.

mhgen.kiranico.com/
Database with weapon trees, item locations, drop rates, etc.

sites.google.com/site/pingsdex
Same thing, in application form.

>Where does Veeky Forums play?
Create or find a Gathering Hall
Passcode: 7243 (rage)
In Generations, Objective: Gathering
In 4U, Target: Fishing
In 3U, Help! A, Lobby 9

Tags: MHXX, MHGen, MH4U, MH3U, MHO, MonHun, /mhg/

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DUpPYvELLB8
youtube.com/watch?v=bpcUgNkVQIs
famitsu.com/news/201702/02126110.html
youtube.com/watch?v=oWjJrddvHcQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Everyday until we like it?

Tencent is the best thing to happen to Monster Hunter discuss

While their game has nice graphical fidelity, their game structure and animations are garbage.
Those GL animations are okay though

All autists run out of steam eventually

/ourgame/?

youtube.com/watch?v=DUpPYvELLB8

Uh yeah sure

>an entire game of just gimped bow
hey at least it looks pretty, right?

It's a 3rd person shooter game. The enemies look good though.

Did they actually nerf adept evade windows?

>Lance's third hit is still so fucking slow
reee

>striker lance will still be best style in XX

Not necessarily, without the busted charge, Adept would be the best.

Is this Gen's way of buffing the gunlance? Make its superior cousin less appealing to use?

Is it time to soar again?

>possible Guard Rage IV
>doing Guard Rage now causes health and HA gauge regen
It doesn't matter that Brave Lance gets an infinite combo with the shield advance, they just made Striker Lance even more powerful. The only way to change this is by giving Guard Rage III Extra Large for recharge

It'll still be balanced just as long as they remove that stupid charge from Striker, and make the triple hit only consume one point of stamina.

They'll probably nerf adept Lance before nerfing Striker.

>dragon blighted
>elemental damage spark still happens
so I'm guessing Baru armor has a skill similar to Bubbles but with Dragonblight?

Sounds like dumb gimmicks, I'd rather have WE+Crit boost

>trying to get a single light crystal in low rank

How do I stop Chameleos from stealing my shit?

stop pooping

You don't get hit by his most telegraphed attack...

Also why won't his tail come off?

Asshole keeps poisoning me

Who's ready for Hollywood's take on the series?

because it's Chameleos, the tail is the stupidest break on it in every game. In FU iirc it was bugged and sometimes would lop off it a few hits despite being a HP dependent break

I killed my first couple big enemies. Tagged them with paintballs, fought for nearly an hour on my first great jaggi. but it was so awesome. Im fucking hooked.

I just dont know if I am wasting my time with the long sword? I forged the bone sword and ugraded it once to some type of new bone sword, same look same attack but better stats and different name. Dont want to waste crafting mats if I can avoid it.

Wait, what is this actually from

you have to hit the curled part

Cabin in the Woods.

Cabin in the woods

Long Sword is seemingly straightforward with fair reach and speed, but you got things like the Fade Slash to reposition, the spirit meter, and aura upkeep to keep in mind.

If you're playing 4U, try playing around with other weapons in their respective tutorials if you're not overly keen on it.

Sounds good, I will give them a shot.

Hows the 4U community here? Still active or should I just solo this one and pick up the newest game ASAP.

Goodnight /mhg/!
I'll hunt and chat with you again tomorrow!

What do you mean by wasting your time with long sword?
It isn't a waste if you like Long Sword.

You should try other weapons and compare though.

Though it's not a lot, there's at least a few people playing each game, given that's the nature of co-op games. You can try posting here or in the /mhg/ Discord to scout out players keen on hunting in the game you're playing.

While most people will be sitting at G-Rank, it's not out of the question for them to gear down. See how you go first.

Anybody still play MH4U? Took a break like 2 years ago and got caught up with Animal Crossing and PS4

>stonefist set gives AuM, Divine Blessing, and Evasion 1
>encourages balls-deep dodges
>Adrenaline talismans are shit in Gen, no way to get to +15

JUST

Drilltusk has Adrenaline +2

How are Bows, really? I've never played range, always been a GS/LS/Hammer person, but I keep getting a bunch of high-damage bows with decent elemental effects.

For the past two games, there's a single bow that simply shits on the rest. They can kill shit well, but it leads me to thinking that there's something wrong with how the weapon is designed. That and there's little reason to bother with arc shots.

Arc shots were useful in 3rd gen, if only because element actually meant something on bows in those games.

>For the past two games, there's a single bow that simply shits on the rest
That's been true in every single MH. Blame the fact that Bow pretty much only cares about raw + high level rapid shots.

>I literally cannot complete hr molten tigrex no matter who I bring or if I solo it
Why in the FUCK do I need to hunt this fucking thing upgrade my regios GS, its like capcom completely randomized upgrade crafting and I hate it

Valfark's IG doesn't look very good to be honest, It really shows XX shoestring budget, but I guess there's only so much stuff you can cram in a 3DS game without making concessions to it actually work.

It just has a weird shape (since it's basically just one of Valfalk's extending wing spikes turned into a weapon) but it has some neat details like how the center of it lights up depending on the extracts you have which is visible through the gaps.

play gen

>but I guess there's only so much stuff you can cram in a 3DS game without making concessions to it actually work
The fuck are you even talking about?

famitsu.com/news/201702/02126110.html

Those animations aren't of unusual quality. Most of the animations are better than mainline, or are literally mainline animations except you can actually see them because it's on a screen larger than 240p. Dunno what you mean by "game structure," but it's fundamentally just a Monster Hunter game. The only differences that stand out to me are ultimates and unlockable moves (which Gen also has), zenny scarcity (which Gen also has) and being even grindier than mainline (which I'll admit is shit but it doesn't seem like something that the sort of people bitching about MHO would mind; basically weapons require more parts to upgrade and armour more parts to make than mainline but the RNG is the same bitch ass mother fucker it is in mainline).

I mean I guess you could make a pretty weak argument about damage numbers, but if you don't have those you just look up MVs anyway and once you learn the relative strength of your attacks you can turn them off and still use blood splats to gauge hitzones.

Wish they'd stop with the collabs and showed some actual new content.

Pls, MHO is janky as hell, nothing looks or flows right and all the movement feels off
Monster AI and animations are awful too

Almost all of the monster animations are literally mainline. Now I know you're retarded.

He picked a random thing in a MHXX vid to use as an opener for his shitpost. He doesn't actually have any opinion on the IG.

The animations on the hunters would be fine but they use the cheapest visual effects on them and have this persistent need to use all the weirdest, most unfitting sound cues for everything in the game, including shit that already exists, where mainline and Frontier nailed that part.

Damn, wish I had that webm with the MHO Monoblos now. Slinky knees and all.

This one? On the contrary it looks great, perfect footing.

hope we will get an actual glaive as insect glaive with the Kingdom collab too.

The reworked rath animations are the best, I wish mainline would adopt them. Shame rathian still has a first-frame hitbox on its charge animation and still does the roar-windpress-tailswipe thing pinkian and goldian do in mainline.

Recommended style/art for Longsword?

absolute evasion

Critical Juncture > Sakura Slash > Absolute Readiness
Style choice on LS is situational and depends on the monster

>Most of the animations are better than mainline, or are literally mainline animations

If by that you mean Freedom Unite, sure. I cannot imagine you typing this stuff with a straight face.

I don't mean FU. They're all mainline or better. Look at the webms just posted for fuck's sake, where they differ they're either better (or the same animation but with more physically convincing movement, as with kut ku).

I'll humor you with another one.

>tfw gunlance is unfun spammy trash in mainline good only for stringing together montages of shelling interrupts but in MHO where it's actually fun lance is even more fun
GL can't catch a break

And in frontier it's only used for stringing together montages of i-frame wyvern fire

youtube.com/watch?v=oWjJrddvHcQ

I've finally figured out what's wrong with MHO's animations. They lack weight. Monoblos is the most obvious one. He fucking goes 0 to 100 to 0 during his charges and head thrusts while doing super sharp turns. Not to mention the janky ass mouse camera. It might be fine and fun to play with mouse but it seems more like the mmo vindictus in terms of animation and gameplay.

get gud with greatswords ffs

Kutku is another one. I can see regular kutku struggling to get enough air forced away to do such a huge jump. While it also ties well with his flying to another area animation where he flaps a ton to fly. Whereas in mho he just gotta goes fast the flight instantly. It really does seem like a beat em up sorta game.

If you need to git gud with gs you're hopeless desu. Most babies are born gud with gs. All it requires is a very vague sense of rhythm and that's just to play it optimally.

Monoblos's instant acceleration is bad but it also does that in mainline. Bloses are just shit monsters.

am i a scrub for using buster swords in god eater?

I'd 0 to 100 to 0 ur mom last night

I've never played god eater so I don't know but probably cus giant swords are gay and it's mostly queers that like them (and studies have shown that queers are scrubs).

muh footsies tho

Finally rathian in mho has a really commendable spin. Something that all gen 1s need fixed but I'd rather keep it that way because of how iconic it is when it comes to gameplay. However that running fireball. Something feels off. Well it feels dreadqueen kinda off. Can't put my thumb on it but ugh.
Yeah I can understand blos doing the stupid instant turn charge but damn that blos has no chill. Even regular white monoblos has this cool slide animation as it decelerates from a charge. That thing in mho just instantly stops it's charge and goes straight into a horn attack.

Yeah I would to ;^)

Bloses look as bad in mainline. Like a 20 yo game in 120fps.

You spin me right round baby~

So by the look of things so far, which do you think will be the prevalent styles for every weapon in MHXX, /mhg/?

>120 fps
4U runs at 40-60, 3U is a bit worse without a cfw 3ds and gen runs at 20-30.

I don't know if I love or hate the animation on that spin. I know I hate it in terms of fight design though, it's some garuga or rathian tier bullshit.

Probably brave for most weapons, and if they don't get nerfed still adept bow and DB and striker lance and sns. Unless brave is all looks and no MVs of course.

>when you play with a pellet gunner so bad that dcing and blacklisting them isn't enough, you have to wait til you're back in the hall to tell them how trash they are
I narrowly saved the guy from being killed by dreadqueen's poison three times with all three of my lifepowders and he repaid me by constantly stunlocking me and the gs with fucking rapid pellet s, nearly getting me killed once and getting the gs killed once. At least normal pellet gunners don't nearly cart three times a hunt. Jesus christ I'm mad. And he was posting dreadqueen v, meaning he got carried through 1-4 too. Honestly I SHOULD have just DCed, to avoid carrying him further.

Why didn't you just fail the quest then if you don't want to carry him

I'd lose my credibility telling him he's the worst player I've ever seen. What I actually should have done, now that I've taken a minute to think about it, is decline to lifepowder him, but it's just my instinct to jam a lifepowder when I'm playing sns and see someone about to die.

>SnS
Striker: Brave doesn't add anything noteworthy, in fact its animations seem like the definition of style over substance
>DB
Adept: Doesn't seem like Brave's additions can top the adept dodge into demon dashes cheese
>GS
Guild: GS is the weapon that most heavily relies on sheathing, so a style that impedes sheathing speed is counter to the weapon's gameplan
>LS
Brave: A counter, a mobility option, and the Adept upslash in the spirit slash chain? The style's additions have been among the best for LS.
>Hammer
Guild: Unless I'm misinterpreting how the style works, Brave is actually quite clunky on Hammer.
>HH
Hard to tell. Brave just handles really differently to the horn's usual moveset. I'll err to the side of caution and say Guild, there's nothing Brave added that seemed to add some amazing new utility.
>Lance
Striker: Can someone who actually mains Lance explain to me what Brave adds? It looks so underwhelming.
>GL
Brave: Guard point on reload, rapid fire shelling, mid combo multi-reload baby.
>SA
Striker: One art on Brave, so auto-shit for this. Will be funny if SP is actually big enough that Alchemy is the best SA style.
>CB
Brave: GP on a dash, shield thrust, quick easy AEDs
>IG
Guild: Unless the bug nibbling at the opponent is actually some amazing extra DPS, I'm gonna say Guild is still best.
>LBG
Striker: So Brave adds an awkward triple sidestep shot that seems impossible to aim and just a waste of time. Pass.
>HBG
Brave: Fucking MOBILITY. Rolling out of siege, sprinting out of roll, sieging out of sprint, and that fucking accelerating RoF on the siege. This shit is as good as the LS additions, if not better.
>Bow
Adept: The triple shot Brave gets roots you in place for much too long to seem useful, and nothing else about the style stands out.

After nearly 300 hours in Gen, I've yet to ever cross paths with a pellet gunner at all. You've met them frequently enough that you have an impression of what a "normal pellet gunner" is like?

Shit, I'm a gunner myself, and I've never seen what could possibly make pellet useful over normal or pierce. Far as I'm aware it's strictly a griefing tactic with Aerial.

The pellet gunners of legend are far and few between I think. And admittedly the monsters that used to be hyper weak to pellet (Diablos and Kirrin off the top of my head) lost their pellet magnets and made it lackluster to use all around, so you won't see people who know what they are doing use it seriously either.

But every now and then, you get someone who knows exactly what they are doing by using a rapid pellet LBG.
And that is fucking with everyone in your group.

Between friends I find it pretty fun when you have 4-way rapid pellet fights while also killing the monster. Using it with randoms is a recipe for disaster.

What if Adept style took away your panic dive

It would literally do nothing at all. An Adept dodge is better than a superman dive, and the weapons that best use Adept never sheathe anyway.

>Guild: GS is the weapon that most heavily relies on sheathing, so a style that impedes sheathing speed is counter to the weapon's gameplan
Doesn't brave GS get lance sidesteps or some shit? Depending on the MVs brave might be more valuable than crit draw.

This is the first I've encountered in Gen but I encountered a bunch in 4U.

Delet huge tit huntress

Petite fittresses will inherit the earth

Is the Venom Lance any good or is poison a useless status?

I enjoy aerial pellet hbg alot

It's not as good as just pure pierce but GOD DAMN is it FUN and only slightly worse.

Plus you get to laugh at your friends getting stunlocked or go aerial HBG too for maximum fun.

In 3U it was supposedly decent because a lot of monsters are quite weak to poison, though the amount of poison on the Gigginox Lance is fucking overkill

In other games either the matching element, blast, or another status is is used, still handy for casually going against Kushala though

Thanks, so in MH4U going to Rampart would be a better idea? I made a bone spear but didn't really like it.