/domg/ Dominions General

Mmm...pie, edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm (embed) (embed) (embed)

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuklearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first
>Die and join the ranks of brave skeletons

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=3227&st=0#entry40005824
steamcommunity.com/id/consulofrome/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

We had a good run. I didn't think we'd survive as long as we did.

Previous thread:

Is everybody busy with their research these days?

Is it possible to remove a special tag without clearing them all?
I'm trying to get rid of #undisciplined.

Is there a lore or balance explanation for the extremely high MR of Empoisoners (17)? They're the highest MR assassin in the game that are recruitable. I understand they are cap only, but the next highest assassins 2 steps down at 15 MR, are Demonbred (cap-only, flying, cheaper), Star Children (S1 coastal recruits, generally superior assassins) and the Baobhan Sidhe (almost twice as expensive, and generally superior assassins/mages).

Lizards have very high magic resistance in general. Their regular troops are 12 MR. And it's not uncommon for mages to have +5 MR more than non-mages of the same race.

i wrote some code for a tiny balance mod for Yomi. What do you think?

z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=3227&st=0#entry40005824

ah, crap, i forgot to add the thing that makes it cap only

okay fixed.

ded

For anyone who can't be bothered going to dom3mods and deciphering the mod, it gives them a cap-only unit version of the oni general. Not sure on the price, I believe it uses autocalc.

As for my opinions on the change, I dislike it. Yomi is quite unique in being one of the few nations without recruitable sacreds. I'd prefer a buff which preserves that variety, rather than giving every nation powerful cap-only sacreds.

Also, if I haven't missed something, I think you'll find that your oni ghosts will have 7 natural protection. Oni spirits typically have zero.

I don't want a larger hosting interval, just a single 24h extension to write some PMs.

Ys is the most moe faction

I hate it when I think I'm doing well then realize I'm the only one still playing.

It's pretty annoying when you realize your neighbours have been chain staling for a dozen turns or more

>last thread died after 251 replies
It's one of those periods again, isn't it?

Only a month left now, /domg/. How are you going to celebrate the first anniversary of DomgNationsGen?

Games that last over three months were a mistake.

This is because the last thread forgot to use an anime pic

dying

literally never go without growth scales

Yo guys. So I'm around 90 hours in and still as newb as ever.
Am I doing it wrong? I mean, am I supposed to be studying the manual and shit or is it ok if I just keep playing and see first hand what works and what doesn't?
I am lazy as fuck, usually the best I can do is look an item/spell/unit on the interwebz to see if they're worth anything.

What's your steam ID?

steamcommunity.com/id/consulofrome/

Join a MP game.

I'm playing in like 5 games, I stop knowing what to do as soon as I hit mid-game (I still manage to survive usually)

Ask for advice then, as you can see the thread is dead so we could use some discussion about your nations and what you should do.

I of usings EA Ermor, I chose it because of its theme and even if it was the worst nation on earth I'd still pick it any day of the week.
I have to uh, research evocation and conj a lot?
For summer lions and big fireballs?

Don't forget to go into thaumaturgy and enchantment. Thaum for communions and prison of fire, enchantment for skelespam. Your foreignrec mage priests are also quite nice.

Some basic evocations fit your mage corps, not only fireballs but also falling fires. Do note that you have D mages and can use D evocations, mainly the excellent shadow blast. There is also bane fire a DF evocation that does serious damage if you need it to kill a big target.

You also want some conjuration research done for phoenix power (+1F in combat, always start with that to improve your mages) and fire elementals (conj5). Those are useful combat spells in conj.

As EA Ermor you also want thaum1 for the communions. A big communion can move your D2 mage to D5-6 and then he can shadow blast with huge range and aoe.

Also worth noting is ench5 for skeleton hordes - again either D2 mages or D mage communions. Also obviously construction 4 for some magic boosting items - skull staff comes to mind.

Once you have those we can discuss mid-late game.

Maybe I'll take my turn, but I'm not sure if I will be able or will need 3 more days.

How do you wish for an Arena Battle? I'm trying it out in a test game and I've tried "Arena" "Deathmatch" "Arena Battle" "Deathmatch Arena" and many other similar variations. "Fame" gives you 5. Is it even possible?

>Italian
>EA Ermor

Cute!

Stellar cascades is a incredible spell that can decimate armies. It might sound not so impressive for a newbie, since it makes no damage, though.

You will need Evocation 5 for it, and a S2 mage to cast it. The steps then would be:

>bring 10 S2 mages and one medium sized army (a stack of 30 principes will do)
>fight literally anything
>win
That's it.

Of course it's not unbeatable, but putting enemy's elite units to sleep works great really often if you can tank them for a while (it's not worth against either really big armies or flying units, for example).

If you want to get into communions, you can tell 4 of your mages to cast Communion slave and the remaining 6 to cast communion master. They will be able to cast stellar cascades for a lot more of turns than your 10 mages directly casting it.

Also try this "advanced" strategy:
>bring 10 mages
>7 of them cast master, 3 slaves
>One of the masters casts Power of the spheres
>then that one casts communion slave
With this setup now your 4 slaves are getting 20/2-> 10 -> 10/4-> 3 fatigue per turn per mage casting Stellar cascades. With 6 masters casting it, each slave will get 18 fatigue per turn.
This means they after 11 turns they will be at 198 fatigue, then on turn 12 of casting stellar cascades they will go up to 200 and start getting 1 damage per cast and die after some casts.
I didn't take into account the encumbrance of the mage or the cast of Power of the spheres because I'm lazy, but you get the idea of how communions can make your mages cast a lot more spells than they otherwise could (a S2 mage could only cast 5 stellar cascades before reaching 100 fatigue).

I'm already spamming Stellar Cascades like there's no tomorrow, although I didn't know that using communions would better the process.
30 principes is a medium army? Huh.
I use 30 principes just to guard the mages from man-birds and whatever devilry comes up against me. Thank you very much!

30 principes is enough to shank a fatigued out force to death, not enough to take on anything with a significant amount of mage support.

Try "death match"

>EA Ermor, I chose it because of its theme
But the theme is shit you fucking pleb.
>unironically liking the Romans
The only good thing they had was gladiators.

I smell assblasted smelly french.

There are some things you won't learn until you see someone using them against you.
For example you won't understand how good communion batteries are until some jotun guy drowns you in skeletons.

The fuck is Jotunheim doing?
He hasn't even conquered his capring yet.

Ah yup that does it. Thank you.

Don't ever call me that again.

t. Englishman.

He's conquering mine

Did we really die at 250 posts?

We need a sub for van after he disappeared leaving unattended his newbie disciple.

Right now Van's team isn't fighting anyone noticeable other than trying to finish Man, so please join fast or Malakal will probably start eating the staler into oblivion.

Shit nigga, why not tell the people neighbouring him?

I sent a message to you I think. 's fine, I'm mostly doing okay

You did? Must have missed it somehow.

Englishmen are fine, let's be friends

lmao, why would anyone play a solved game like Dominions

>Update 4.29
>Blood Slaves are now properly tagged as females
>Shade Beast size 1 -> 2
>Dog size 2 -> 1
This game has been fucking ruined.

>male virginity
>worth shit
Even demons agree.

It's really quite unfair. Plenty of sacrificial myths involved male virgins -- just think of the most famous, the Minotaur.

Also, Yomi is perfectly fine.

this honestly. I don't understand the yomi bad meme at all.

Bad theorycrafting from the people who also thought lanka was ruined by turmoilpower. Lanka corrected quickly, but people still applied the same reasoning to Yomi.

Has Yomi 'corrected' quickly?

For some dumb reason nobody has mentioned astral fires, which is literally the only reason to play EA ermor.
But yeah, you want to run fire evo communions at first, then you want to run astral fires communions. You don't even need to recruit augur elders till turn 20 (except for 1 or 2 for sitesearching)

I llama dead?
I sent 3 different turns and not a single reply.

>Astral Fires
Yeah, I sure like to deal no damage to anything with antimagic.

New patch, friend. Llama always fucks up for a day or two afterwards.

I love this meme.

It's easily one of the best MR-negates spells in the game, and writing it off because of the existence of antimagic is like writing thunderstrike off because of the existence of the variety of different methods of getting shock resistance (this means you are fucking stupid by the way)

sent four turns and got no confirmation

is llamaserver kill

To add to my earlier point, 17/30 nations in EA don't actually have astral magic anyway.

What? Lanka "corrected quickly" means that people quickly learned they were fine.

Yomi still has many detractors.

>It's easily one of the best MR-negates spells in the game
Yeah, no.

>writing it off because of the existence of antimagic is like writing thunderstrike off because of the existence of the variety of different methods of getting shock resistance
Come back after finding a spell that grants you near total immunity to thunder strike at lvl3 research.

>this means you are fucking stupid by the way
I love you too, user.

GODDAM FUCKING GIANTS GIVE ME THAT FORT ALREADY

Right. So why does Yomi still have detractors, while people quickly learned that Lanka was fine?

Is it because the 2 nations interact with the turmoil power differently? Do you think the nations are equivalent enough that if TP is workable on one, it must be okay on the other? Or what?

No.

>check events
>got a lab and 5 mages for free
>from one event
God damn I love T3 L3.

Saw this a few times recently, is it some sort of new meme?

>Blood Slaves are now properly tagged as females
trapfags BTFO

pls no bully

Drop the socratism. What's your actual point?

Expensive and fragile units on a nation which needs to take turmoil, mostly.

It's exaggerated, but it's still a thing.

Lanka has blood and reanimation.

Antimagic isn't level three. If astral fires isn't one of the best MR-negate spells, then what is?

Even with antimagic up astral fires kills 3-4 human troops per cast

Maybe Yomi actually differs from Lanka and you can't just say "well Lanka handles turmoil power fine, so obviously Yomi can too" without any reasoning.

Do you have an argument or just speculation about maybes?

Not particularly, which is why I was asking questions to begin with. I'm trying to see why you think the 2 nations are so seemingly similar to such an extent that if one handles TP, the other should be able to. I'm not trying to argue here.

Lanka does have blood (which is aided by turmoil to an extent), massive reanimation, really good summons off their blood + good sacreds to expand with, which helps any problems of turmoil power. What does Yomi have?

A recruitable SC chassis and Tengu summons?

>Dai Oni
>SC

I beg to differ. It's a decent Thug, but it lacks the ability to SC.

I don't think they're particularly similar.

I do think that the general arguments on why turmoilpower is crippling are either true or untrue, and if people were willing to accept they were untrue for Lanka because it won lots of games, they shouldn't think that turmoilpower crippled Yomi, either, which won a very respectable number of games, too.

You can begin to differ all you like, but Dai Oni fit into that category just fine.

It has an excellent base statline, is multiform, can cast both Soul Vortex and Phoenix Pyre, self bless, and deploy various buffs as necessary. Geared up right they are, at LEAST, comparable to Melquarts.

Fair point.

There's a dumb meme here that things with less HP than golems can't be SCs, even though the only relevant issue is whether they can fuck up a magesupported army that doesn't have counters ready.

I mean, I'm not gonna say they're best SC. They can't stand up to lategame summon chassis. But they're definitely fucking solid for a recruitable.

They're the best recruitable SC for actually fucking up enemy armies in actual engagements thanks to their pathing.

Fomorian kings are only better because you have far more freedom to choose your engagements (thanks cloud trapeze).

And gets one shotted by an anti demon weapon. Amazing SC.

which is a specific counter
any SC dies to a specific counter
the fuck is your point

That's true of Tarts too, and they're very much considered SCs (depending on their paths).

Just because it gets countered doesn't mean it's not an SC. An SC just means that it can beat an enemy army by itself. If it loses, then it was merely a thug.

and I newb but I think this is how it goes

Thug: has high stats, and cannot be killed with normal troops, holds it's own against an indeterminate number of normal troops but will get killed by any caster with basic evo / conjuration

SC: The same as before, but it's also immune to most things and that let's it get to the enemy casters with ease

SCs are tailor made against specific armies and therefore so unless it's a pretender with lots hp or 25 MR it will still get one shot by a counter

Thug: Commander with gear that hits things in melee
SC: Can kill an army. If it hits things, it's a supercombatant. If it casts things, it's a supercaster

I can't imagine a way to make a supercaster beyond casting super spells that affect all units but surviving. the fatigue costs are too much to end up knocking yourself out after 6 or 7 spells

Soul Drain.

If the amount of casts you can get out is enough to destroy/rout an army, it doesn't matter if you pass out on the last one.

soul vortex, reinvigoration, reinvig items, earthpower, relief to a certain extent

Plenty of ways to restore fatigue in battle