/classic car general/ - /ccg/

/classic car general/ - /ccg/

Make It Funky Edition.

>Post your classic cars and trucks
>Blog about electrical gremlins
>Pray to the carb gods
>Post about your failed dash pad vinyl wrappings and middle consoles
>Argue about Mopar vs Ford vs Chevy vs IHC vs Pontiac vs Buick vs Oldsmobile vs Cadillac vs Packard vs Hupmobile vs Deusenberg vs Peerless vs Auburn vs Edsel vs Cord vs Locomobile vs Stanley vs Hudson vs Studebaker vs AMC vs Graham vs Delahaye

Other urls found in this thread:

theruststore.com/Rust-Release-SuperGel-P224C0.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

OLD THREAD

first

Metering blocks>jets

just stopping by to say hi

haven't had a lot of time lately to work on the blue goose

one more

cool car! i like the aged patina that has come with it. what are your plans? full restoration? modify the engine tranny for power?

just make it so it doesn't catch fire again i guess

Holy shit wat
story?

i've got a first gen S10 2wd 5-speed with the 2.8

I kind of want to take it apart, and put it back together (there's a lot wrong with it) is there anything I should do that'd be more worth while with minimal tools?

I don't really want to do an engine swap, but could I get some umph out of the 2.8 if I had to take it apart all the way to the heads?

how much work an I do to an engine while it's still in the truck?

I know that feel. I had an engine fire a month or so ago

fucking lmao guy, what the fuck happened here?

dumb question, but where do you guys buy fire extinguishers from?

You can get them pretty much anywhere. Thankfully I was parked in front of a snow bank so I just started throwing snow at the engine.

I have an ancient one I got from the hardware store that I need to replace

thanks m8, now let me ask you this - how the fuck did your truck start on fire?

>how the fuck did your truck start on fire?
Because he voted for Shillary.

I'm looking at buying an MG B... anyone got any tips?

Yes, familiarize yourself with troubleshooting electrical problems.

>electrical problems
THIS

>funky

IS IT FUNKY ENOUGH?

Slightly loose gas line that went to the carb. The gas that leaked out of the line fell directly into the exhaust manifold. When the engine has been running for a period of time and there's a lot of under hood temps. When I cranked the motor with the hood closed smoke started pouring out.

This is always a plus.

It's pretty funny, just how many people had fires in their cars, minor or major, on this board alone.

nothing better than a melted harness

kek

bill blass edition?!

spark + gasoline = uh oh :/

It's not fun I tell you what

That's a "Collector's Series." Pic related is a Bill Blass.

Are you ever going to get your initials made for one of your Lincolns?

oh okay thanks drac. By the way, see the rust on the front left quarter panel and underneath the vinyl top? I'm curious to know what's the proper of fixing it?

Cut all the cancer out and start fresh.

oh snap that's intensive. you can't like sand it down and layer protectant and re-finish it?

That'd be aloooot of bondo....

>a single ratchet from SnapOn is $44
Craftsman is good enough for me.

I agree.

>craftsman
What are you some kind of blue blood? Harbor fright sockets and wrenches are the TRUE every man's tools.

Harbor freight ratchets are shit

>What are you some kind of blue blood?
My Dad and my Grandpa both worked at Chrysler so i guess for this board i technically am.
I buy murican
That said, buy HF flux core welder yes/no

No. The quality of the weld between HF and an actual name brand flux core wire is astounding. Lincoln electric isn't much more and I've had very good results with that shit vs HF.

Yeah, they really are. I like how they weasel around the term PLASTIC by using COMPOSITE, BRUH. Their sockets are good though, their wrenches are pretty shit. They come precorroded right out of the package and I've already snapped the box end off and bent the open end to shit on one of them.

>No. The quality of the weld between HF and an actual name brand flux core wire is astounding.
Well it's technically not Harbor Freight brand but Chicago Electric.
I don't know if they're one in the same but I'm also on a limited budget.
Besides flux core naturally produces nasty looking welds anyway

Consider looking for a better, used welder on Craigslist. I used one of the harbor freight ones to build a go kart in highschool and it was pure shit compared to the Miller MIG we had in autoshop

Yeah, chicago electric is the in house brand of HF, but i thought you were talking about their wire and not their welders. Their welders are alright if you use a good wire with them. On my old HF welder you have to use a C-clamp on the wire feeder or it doesn't grab the wire. I'm sure it's not like that on all of them, more of a quality control issue than anything else, i think. They're good starter welders but i wouldn't want to be doing a job with one.

Thanks for liking my pic enough to use it as OP

Will be unboxing my $800 EFI system tomorrow for you all.

>Will be unboxing my $800 EFI system tomorrow for you all.
Keep me updated, i'm interested in maybe efi'ing my shitbox.

I just buy Mastercraft when they are on sale at Canadian Tire. Lifetime warranty on tools and cheap when on sale

Sweet shit dude. Will you be able to install it all yourself, or will you need to bring it to a shop?

Let us know how that works, I am very interested.

I think I might have to throw it into the shop to put the oxygen sensor before the catalytic converter, if that's what you have to do, but I might not have enough time to fully convert my car to EFI for the day or two I'll be back before hitting the road for trucking again.

Moroso or Holley pan for my 5.3 vortex swap into my 69 El Camino?

*vortec

Yes, I will. I'm going to have a dash plaque made for the Lincoln, Imperial, and Excalibur.

The vinyl top is fine; thankfully, I only had surface rust. No rot. Surface rust you can sand, prime, and repaint. Rot has to be cut out and replaced.

Anyone here have a 74 dodge dart?

I have a 74 duster which is virtually the same car with a slopier ass.

Lewd

muh aero

truck pan for lels

you're welcome user, it's a great photo!

hey me too user! 74 duster ftw!

Hey guys

I'm thinking of saving my sheckels to buy an older Rolls Royce to fix up. Are the ones from the 70's-80's complete unfixable nightmares? Or would it be a fun project?

You are most likely going to hate yourself if you buy one that needs work

This was posted on craigslist in the Tri-C area. You can't fool me. Show me a time stamp with a new picture.
[spoiler]Or sell me the car[/spoiler]

What defines a classic car, exactly?

No longer needed to be smog tested but enjoyed by at least ten people in my book.
or around 25 years at least.

Legally, pretty much anything over 25-30 years old. But it's up to interpretation. A 1988 Toyota Camry SE isn't a classic, but a 95 Toyota Celica gt4 will be.

Yours is probably what mine is aspiring to be.
Duster sex appeal is top notch.

He sold this like, 2 years ago, it's an old picture

That was a long time ago i had that posted on craigslist, you have a very good memory.

Here, have an out of focus one too.

>What branch?

I owned a '67; don't do it unless you plan to swap the entire drive train for that of a Chevrolet.

VERY fast lincoln driving at incredible hihg speed

fuck it, im going to daily drive my car with a solid cam lifters and roller rockers. I want to try something different to hydraulics

Anybody have experience doing this?

shouldn't be that bad, right?

Apparently it's doable but loud as hell

>bump

Already posted this in QTDDTOT, ( )but copying here because it was suggested and actually isn't an awful idea.

Do any of you have any experience with chemical rust removers like theruststore.com/Rust-Release-SuperGel-P224C0.aspx ? If so, how well did it really work?

I'm looking at the underside of a 30 year old truck that I got from a relative up north where the snow and salt and time have taken their toll. Pic related, unfortunately.

those dollies are awesome, where can i pick them up?

That's actually not bad for a 30 year old truck that had to contend with road salts. Do a quick underside scrubbing and try to remove as much dirt, rust and grease as possible, the better job you do the better the paint will stick. Try buying spraycan undercoating, And get the quick dry version. I've found that shit works pretty well even on moving stuff like suspension parts. It'll stick to pretty much anything.

That poor Fury. It must be terribly embarrassed.

It definitely could be worse, that's for sure. You've pretty much hit the nail on the head for what I intend to do in general, though. I actually bought several cans of oven cleaner for the express purpose of coating as much shit as I can reach underneath with it, letting it soak for a while, and then washing it all off to cut as much grease as I can with a minimum amount of effort.

we got em at harbor freight.
It's actually a coronet, Basically the same shit though. Chrysler loves reusing designs all across the board, even today.

That body style is sexual

To add to this because I'm an idiot and completely forgot, there ARE a few spots where the rust is significantly worse. You'll notice in the picture that there's no exhaust after the second cat. Mostly because the tail pipe fell off within a couple weeks of me getting the truck, followed a couple months after by the muffler deciding to go its own way while I was on the highway. I hacked off what was left of the pipe so it was clean, and haven't regretted it once. It sounds fucking amazing right now.

if you're looking to cut grease Might I suggest this? If there's a dollar tree near you it can be had for $1 a bottle. I bought 50 and dunked my engine in it during the rebuild

Holy fuck I completely forgot this stuff existed. I used to love that shit.

Nice, my radiator is leaking like a levee.
Fan blew coolant all over the engine bay.

I have this theory that you guys are all neckbeards who bought their first second hand shitbox 30 fucking years ago.
While being stuck in your basements, enough time has passed to make your shitbox a classic.

Congratulations, mfw i'll have to wait for soo long before i can post my brz in ccg

my bad, didn't mean to quote you.

>I have this theory that you guys are all neckbeards who bought their first second hand shitbox 30 fucking years ago.

That's cool but i'm 23 bro

23 as well. But i do have a raging neckbeard going on.

I'm 21 and my first and third cars was a 2000 Luces rx300 and an 01 Acura cl.

Old cars are fun my dude

Poor Ford wondering why you didn't let him into the heated house.

the son of a bitch is garage kept. I was just over my parents that day. No room inside and no expectation of fucking HAIL

Nature truly is a cunt bro.
Considering moving to Gran Canaria, supposedly the most stable climate on Earth.

but then you have to deal with sea salt and shit. ever see cars from coastal massachusetts? They contend with road salt AND sea salt. By the time they're only 10 years old they're rotted up past the wheels.

Finally pulling old carpet from El Pin-chero today, the old one was literally growing both mushrooms and grass

>getting rid of natural turf which REGENERATES ITSELF
>replacing it with artificial "carpet" that JUST ROTS AWAY

wow

Nature looks cool though.

And just go to Colorado or the plains, there's no temp deviations

>Temp
I mean not much humidity fluctuations

Salt is so hideous.

Why don't we just use sand instead, everything might turn brown but it doesn't rot literally everything

We use sand in Denver. That's why my car looks like shit all the time.

>I recognize that chassis
is that a 1990s ford

Salty cars look like shit too mang

This is true, but our roads are brown

Currently saving up to buy a 60's/70's Ford truck. My problem is everything fucking rusts in the west, so finding one that isn't a rust bucket, way overpriced, or doesn't have engine/trans is virtually impossible.

Where are you located? Have you considered buying out of state?