> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XQ_c1uJN8EA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Good luck

Posted in last thread but then this one got made...

Want to make some simple games this year. Only interested in programming. Friend helping with art/music. Should I just start making simple games with just c++? Like text adventures? Or should I use SDL or SFML from the start? Is it best just to start with something like gamemaker?

Good mornings aggydaggy.

What's your plan for today?

youtu.be/XQ_c1uJN8EA

the OP is too long

Try to work on a world map.

Try to figure out whether or not the thing I've been idea manning for the last few months has been a ripoff of Iconoclasts or not

>want to add new features
>having too much fun playing my own game to bother
is this good or bad

Which game is it?

It depends. In an engine like GM you can focus on the game itself, while with a custom made engine (so your own) you have to set up loaders, rendering and many other things.

If you have an artbro, skip text adventures and jump right in to SDL2 or SFML, maybe pick up OpenGL on the way.

How do I make MMO lol?

set aside specific times to playtest the game and try to resist at other times

I already know how to program (Doing it for work), are there any decent Unity resources for me?

I'd appreciate books more than anything.

Maybe I'll actually do some modelling today.

If anything I'm probably going to draw some more at least.

don't know about books, but the manual is pretty comprehensive

Do you have any preference between SDL and SFML? From what I've seen they basically serve the same end purpose but I've found better rated books for SFML

Just work on modelling. You can't stay in the concept phase forever, and plus you don't have to do all of the concepts at once.

Try to make a cute voxel girl and make a comfy game for the comfy jam.

Today were going for space son
Thats my comfy project

You don't unless you have a spare couple hundred thousand dollars just laying around.

If you want to make multiplayer games, focus on trying to make something simple, like a Bomberman clone first.

You're right.

A goal for today will be to have a finished model I can start rigging, even if it ends up looking like a bad Clank rip-off.

My biggest hurdle is definitely going to be programming the platforming physics just how I want them, full of momentum and fluidity like in Super Mario 64.

Why is a voxel girl and not boy? Ni No Kuni was pretty comfy dude.

Get a few people to tell me what engine/language they're using

Did you know? A 750-post AGDG thread lasts on average 18 hours, 15 minutes and 27 seconds.

hey neat, are you doing some agdg scraping/analytics? I started such a project a long time ago but gave up.

I liked SDL2, but I have to admit that the official wiki is kinda dead. SFML seem to be more up to date, and as I've heard it's easier to use OpenGL with that, but I don't have any actual experience with it. Most engine devs here use SDL2, so you have a better chance getting help with that.

At this very moment I use GLFW. It's "only" a window and input library, but for some reason I find it easier to use than SDL.

at this rate we'll never overtake /ksg/

I downloaded recent threads and wrote a script that iterates over them to learn python. It's not very automatic

Well sounds fun. I was using R so my code probably wouldn't be helpful. It was pretty automated but I got worn out when I started a system of tagging "progress / informative / shitpost" but couldn't figure a way to easily tag and manually grabbing the post numbers was tedious. I wanted to see if I could generate AGDG posts. Punching above my weight in pretty much all regards, since my stats and programming are both pretty weak.

I hope you keep it up!

WILSOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

I regret making clothes that are a separate model. I should have just made them part of the character, I wouldn't have to fuck around with weight painting so much.

redlined it for you bro hope it helps

>You don't unless you have a spare couple hundred thousand dollars just laying around.

Why would I need that much money? I'm working on it myself.

But what if you want to swap clothes later

How do I add two arrays together?

;_;

Well, my game idea
3) I'm already, I pay the sweetie?
Awful.
Meanwhile ask the seconds.

> I wanted to see if I could generate AGDG posts.

Yeah, that was part of the justification. I don't know if I want to take it that far at this point. It would be so much effort, again.

Because it's going to take you 10 years and you need money to support yourself in the meantime, that's why

Stealing this.

Because servers costs money

>Why is a voxel girl and not boy?
You know, when I think about it...
Maybe I should make a voxel boy MC and have a village full of voxel girls.

That is, assuming that I can model shit to begin with.

stitch them together? you have to create a new array of size arr1+arr2 and then copy the elements over

Noooooooooooooo!

It's happening. Although I only half-know what I'm doing. I've only used Max before, and that was a long time ago. Never used Blender before now.

>add feature to game
>test it
>it works
>after some time, test old features
>everything is broken

modularity bro

If I'm using pixel art, should I make it pixel perfect?

>not setting up a build server with a ci pipeline to run a full suite of unit and integration tests on your game after every single build

the fuck does pixel perfect mean

Naw man, mixels and rixels are the hip new thing

No make sure to have as many mixels and rixels as you can

is there another way?

It's good that you're enjoying it but give yourself a play limit.

>mechanic works but has a big bug in it
>can't figure out how to fix it and it is very important for the game to not be shit
>haven't touched dev in 4 days because it is demotivating me

>If I'm using pixel art, should I make it pixel art?
That's basically your question.

Sounds about right. Next do progress pics.

Holy shit.
Thank you.

Daily reminder that only a healthy dev is a good dev.

No additional advice today because im really fucking tired right now, sorry.

just a small fix to make it more "realistic"

>man this monthly run is tough
>i cant wait till we reward ourselves with mcdonalds salad with ceasar dressing and a side of medium fries and a diet coke!

I think rewarding yourself is the key to success.
If you reward yourself with 2 bigmcs after a run instead of just eating 2 bigmcs randomly, you will always go for the run and eventually feel terrible if you eat one without doing your exercise first.
Obviously this approach also works for gamedeving

sure thing fatso

Put more asserts in your code.

Don't do unit tests or integration tests, tho. That shit is for fags and gays.

Ironically while you're making fun of those fat people they're busy exercising while the only thing you're able to do in your pitiful lives is shitposting in this general.

Jokes on you! I don't care!

nice projecting

That's why I never make fun of fat people that exercise.
I only make fun of fat people that don't and lie about being healthy and happy with how they look.

Reminder that at its core, gamedev is an interactive display of quantitative information.

Is it okay to try and learn programming and game making using scratch when you're 21? And what do I do after?

honestly I'd like to take up jogging but I would be too ashamed of running in the street. I'm not fat but I have zero stamina so people would see me start and stop running every 5 minutes or less. Also I sweat like a pig.

I never laugh at fat people and encourage them to stay fat because that way i can keep all of the qts for myself

but they arent exercising

they are plus size models that are perfectly fine with how they look

Get a treadmill, attach a board to it as a desk surface. Dev while doing walk/jog routines. Walking while problem solving is the best.

Or you could not be a faggot and just do things without expecting immediate gratification, and actually get great results a lot quicker

Gamedev at its core is penitence for the evil all are born with. Only through the agony of this existence can they reach detachment.

go to a park
run in a circle
rest at the park
when youre done sweating go home

Naw man, don't go jogging if you're overweight, especially if you're REALLY overweight. You'll jsut hurt your knees.

Use an exercise bike instead and change your eating habits. That's the only real way for you to lose weight is a lifestyle change like this. It's not fun or easy but it's necessary if you want to be respected again. Just like gamedev.

nah man run on concrete all day err day

fit dev is probably retarded and not fit

A lot of fat bitches could become qts if they excersized. You are limiting yourself on the amount of qts.

They can lose weight but they can't lose that extra dimension.

So let's say I have a big ds_grid of tiles in GameMaker, each tile must hold a potentially infinite amount of variables that can be changed at will.

Would it be better to use an instance for each tile or ds_maps?

>A lot of fat bitches could become qts if they excersized.
one word for you son:
stretch marks

When you live an active life, it is completely understandable to be tired every once in a while.
Human flesh is weak, but that doesn't mean you can let yourself go!
You don't want to disappoint other anons, your family, friends, relatives and SO, do you, user?

Two ways to go about it:
1. Use instances. You can assign them variables on the fly and they persist, but this has the disadvantage of an instance holding alot of extra variables you may not need after a point.
2. Use a ds_map per tile. This allows you to manage memory more efficiently, but since checking them involves iterative string comparisons they can be slow as fuck if they have a ton of key/value pairs.

In general though, if you design something with "potentially infinite" anything you need to rethink it.

Progress!
babby's first multiplayer game

It is shitty but you get over it pretty quick. Just like make running.

True, I don't have any argument for that.

wew

Nor can you, user. ;_;

VR is trending, we just need some time.
If I have the time and money for it I would work on a second life VR clone where everyone is a cute anime girl.

Do you mean concatenation or adding component-wise?

I've parented my leg pull bones in Blender to the hips, but this twists the knees when the hips rotate. I've seen people with a double constraint thing to the models origin, how do I do that?

Have you considered that maybe deep inside they are just like real women? They fake kindness and generosity to lure you into normie life and make you a wage slave. Do you see any father figures in your usual slice of life animes and mangas? Well, there's a reason for that. Once you hook up you'll never meet again.

Not to mention they must hate each other deep inside.

But even if they are not like that, why would they love you? What redeeming quality or feature do you posses which might make them be interested in you?

;_;

What I want them to do is move up and down with the hips, but not inherit their rotation. The tutorials I'm watching skip how he actually did it.

If you have time to be a miserable fuck you've got time to be deving instead

""""""real"""""" numbers were a hoax. Any example of a """"""real"""""" number you will ever use is just a rational.

sqrt(x)
pi
sin(x)
cos(x)
arctan(x)

i hate complex numbers

I can say hoobyjooby(x) too. Construct a real number that isn't rational for me without your "and so on" ellipses.

i hate numbers