How do I network in college?

How do I network in college?

I'm an awkward loner with terrible social skills, how exactly do I get in with professors and others in order to find good internships or jobs? I'm in engineering

What is a good way to practice this type of networking? It's not exactly r9k, as I mainly want it so I can have more opportunities available

Take an interest in your professor's work. Ask them about their personal experience in the sector. And then talk to them like you would any human being.

Don't sperg out at social networking events. They usually have them plastered all over college campuses or social media. When you get to the event walk over to someone whom you might consider shy as well. Think about being in their shoes. They probably don't want to be there just like you, but the only way to make your time worthh it is by making the fiest step.

Do you mean like engineering/job conventions or just social school events in general?

bump

Inject testosterone and a smallish dose of heroine(not enough to make you nod out)

drink

smoke weed fag

Drink before going to any social function?

Go to networking events and job fairs at your school. Ahead of time, read up on some current events that are related to your desired career field. Bring up those topics with people to show you know what's going on in the world. Also, research the companies in your area that do the kind of work you'd like to do. Being able to refer to some of the bigger players in conversation will make you look more informed.

One other thing is to go to your school's career center and ask a counselor about the resources they have. A lot of schools have great alumni networks. You might find it intimidating, but you could potentially get contact info for alums who would be happy to meet you for a coffee or a beer and discuss the industry/career prospects for an hour.

ID = YAsDUbb5
Post is not dubs
wtf

Oh you mean these dubs

Good advice

hmm?

Drink God dammit
Go to the best Thursday night college bar and let the liquid courage run thru your veins and just ride the fucking wave. Wasted adventures are when true bonds are made in college. If your under age get some one that looks some what silmiar to you and buy or "borrow" there ID
Next option join a frat it will shake you the fuck out of your little shell and bring you a flurry of future connections.
Next option find a plug to some fucking amazing weed and sell a little. Get the rep of being the guy with dankest shit on campus you'll become a networking monster. ( but dont sell out of your house like a fucking noob )

fucking failure

69 is good enough
oh and check em

Bump

I'll give you non-meme advice. First thing is that there are many ways to network. Main thing is that you somewhat enjoy one of these following things, or else you'll be grumpy on one end or completely fake on the other. Either way, you'll be miserable and you won't make too many friends.

- Go to parties and drink
- Join clubs that are somewhat interesting to you
- Show up to the classes and try to make some small talk with the people sitting around you
- Try to go to the frosh week parties (the parties that happen right before university starts)
- Get an internship/co-op job
- Try and live in dorm. It's more expensive than living with your parents, but in the long run, it really doesn't matter, so long as you get a relatively well paying job after uni
- If you're interested in the subject that you're learning, go to BBQs/events where your particular dept. goes, and see what happens

As you can see, most of these involve being a normie, so like others have said, if you can't handle these, try drinking.

The best way to network is to join clubs, I'm pretty sure there are robotics clubs, programming clubs, drone clubs and other sorts of engineering related clubs.

Nice