Are salvage title cars an option if you can wrench?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4wyK1dQD31E
insideevs.com/tesla-model-s-fitted-chevrolet-ls3-v8-engine/
google.com/amp/www.teslarati.com/think-twice-buying-salvaged-tesla-model-s/amp/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>wrenching a tesla

Also not really, insuring a car with one is expensive/difficult, depending where you are.

>accelerates written off shitbox ductape fixed tesla to 60 in 3 seconds

>car disintegrates bit by bit while driving before going up in a giant electric fire at 120mph

Wouldn't it be more profitable to sell its parts? I mean, isn't that dirt cheap for its actual value?

Yes sometimes but not a salvage title tesla.
Beyond
Economical
Repair

Also,
Not
User
Servicable

Teslas are like apple products, they are designed to only be opened up and maintained/repaired by telsa mechanics at tesla dealerships.

Yes, a Tesla though, no.

Would be perfect for an LS swap

yeah sure if it isn't a washing machine on wheels powered by half a ton of notebook batteries.

>but salvage title tesla
>sell off the electronics
>swap in a boosted LS
>enjoy the cataclysmic flood of butthurt from tesla fanboys
I'll bet the only way you could mine nearly as much salt is by putting a carbureted big block in a supra and a honda I4 in an FD.

>BER ANUS
What did he mean by this?

>Are salvage title cars an option if you can wrench?
Ye-
>Tesla
No

unless you can find a one-in-a-million deal, don't bother with it

Ber anus

Fund it

What about a prius engine in a muscle car?

uber anus?

y'all too late

I'd have to agree with others here.... Yes, salvage title vehicles are perfectly fine if one is mechanically / electrically inclined.

HOWEVER, as others have said.... A Telsa? Seriously? I'd expect that detailed service information would be hard to find, or expensive...

Then, you really dont need to be a mechanic, but more of an electrical engineer. You'd not need to know about ratchets and ball joint compressors, but rather DMM's, and oscilloscopes, and signal generators.

Finally, even once you did narrow down the problem area, it may be difficult to find the correct replacement components, at a reasonable cost....

I'd happily pick up another salvage titled vehicle that is my flavor, but I personally wouldn't snatch up a Telsa. Just my opinion.

There's no magic space technology in Teslas, they use the same CAN/LIN communication with various modules for each system just like any other modern car. What you said is just as true for a new Mercedes, Audi, etc.

except in a car you can sort of get around can bus bullshit if it's an older car, in newer cars it's way harder, in a tesla its almost impossible

and while you can listen on the can bus and inject messages you'll have to reverse engineer whatever software architecture tesla has put in place to figure out what the fuck's even being said

now you're just being silly.

An ICE? sure.. Tesla? Lolno
that's like buying a computer that's had a screwdriver stabbed through the CPU/motherboard.

Some of it will work, but it'll never be the same, and batteries.. fuck man that's not even worth it, obviously that salvage company knows it.

k20 or f20 in a FD is actually a good swap.

Depending what happened to it, that would be a bargain if the motors were in good condition. Just take out the motors and scrap the rest.

Just like a carbureted big block in a supra is a good swap because the car is only any good for drag racing, so the big block is righ tat home. My point was not that it isn't a good swap, it's that fanboys would have an existential crisis over it.

>only good for drag racing

You have to consider the possibility of it being piloted by someone who isn't you.

youtube.com/watch?v=4wyK1dQD31E

wow triggered supra fanboys are so predictable

Not real. They sat a LS3 in it as a joke and took a picture, while the shell of the car was being turned into some office piece.

insideevs.com/tesla-model-s-fitted-chevrolet-ls3-v8-engine/

you will need to know everything about it before you get into it. some salvage title is just a missing door or slashed tires and it's considered salvage because it's not worth it to go through the proper channels to replace what's wrong with it

I'd buy the fuck out of that, and build a 2WD electric sidecar out of it. Too bad even salvage S'es are hideously expensive around here....

2.3 DISI turbo is actually the patrician piston engine for swapping into an FD.

Thanks for clarifying that. I already feared there are people who have fun

No. Once a car is crashed it becomes worthless. The frame/unibody is never the same again. Any money you save up front you'll spend in the long run.

Tesla bricks all controllers involved with accidents.

google.com/amp/www.teslarati.com/think-twice-buying-salvaged-tesla-model-s/amp/

They are the botnet.

I'm not sure if that's even possible given that the battery frame occupies the space normally used by transmission. (Also, removing the batteries will fuck up the handling big time)

>Also, removing the batteries will fuck up the handling big time

I guess cutting a car's weight in half ruins the handling now even though light weight is extremely important to good handling

>light weight is extremely important to good handling
Except when it's mounted very high and makes the car top-heavy, or in this case very far in the front making it nose-heavy.
Tesla's advantage is that the heaviest bits are stored low to the ground where they actually enhance the driving characteristics.

So either way an engine swap fucks up the balance which is equally as important as light weight in terms of handling.

>Tesla's advantage is that the heaviest bits are stored low to the ground where they actually enhance the driving characteristics.
Having 2,000lbs low to the ground does not make your car handle better than not having those 2,000lbs in the first place. You're patently wrong in assuming that it will handle worse just because it has a fraction of that weight a little higher.

Depends on a variety of factors and your skill set.

Fuck you

>getting triggered by such obvious bait
sad

I don't even necessarily disagree with you, however taking a look at the Tesla chassis shows that most of the weight is right in the middle between the axles.
Now imagine ripping all that out and replacing it with a an ICE plus RWD drivetrain. You might save a few hundred kilos but most of that weight would be hanging over the front axle. All I can imagine for that sort of configuration is either a tendency to understeer or snap-oversteer.

It's like loading a shopping cart with two crates of beer at the bottom or one crate in the front. The former one might be harder to push but will also handle more consistently than the other.

>All I can imagine for that sort of configuration is either a tendency to understeer or snap-oversteer.
The shift in weight distribution would neither be as great as you think or as detrimental to handling as you assume.

The battery is already slightly front-heavy, and removing 1,200lbs of battery pack (I looked it up) then replacing it 700lbs of engine and transmission (I also looked it up, this is roughly what a turbo LS and transmission would weigh) would likely only shift the weight distribution forward by a few %, minimal effect on handling, net benefit most likely because of the weight reduction (handling is very closely related to inertia which is why lighter weight generally = better handling).

I did an engine swap on my DD which I also autocross quite often and shifted the weight distribution forward by roughly 1.5%, the difference in handling and 70lb weight gain was imperceptible. Generally being a little on the nose heavy side is nowhere near as detrimental to handling as Veeky Forums says.

You wouldn't just remove the battery to engine swap a Model S, it would be the pack, 1 or 2 drive units, the charger(s), junction boxes, DCDC converter, cabin heater, the whole thermal system, etc. Also the battery is part of the unibody structure so the chassis wouldn't be nearly as stiff without it, not that it would be as necessary if you knocked 2000lbs of weight off the car.

>Also the battery is part of the unibody structure
Yeah this is where the swap goes off the rails but it was just a hypothetical troll idea from the start and I was trying to explain to user why it wouldn't ruin the handling to replace the heavy electronics with an engine like he thinks it would.

It wouldn't create as much butthurt as doing that to a Prius. Tesla buyers aren't that cucked.

they are good donors, but insuring them is a hassle unless they're worth peanuts

>It wouldn't create as much butthurt as doing that to a Prius.
>Tesla buyers aren't that cucked.
HAHAHAHAHAH
You can't be serious
Tesla fantard detected

>Tesla fantard detected
Wrong. People who can afford a Tesla aren't usually as ignorant as Prius buyers who basically believe they're saving the planet, probably because dumbasses rarely make enough money to ride around in luxury cars.
That said, I'd never buy one of the Teslas that exist today but I can't speak for the future as I don't know if they'll eventually become good.
>can't complete a Nürburgring lap without overheating
lmao

>tfw you outrun the tesla highway patrol in your passion-powered sports sedan while they look in stupefaction

>muh burgerking
you're worse than a Tesla fantard then

It's not Tesla buyers who are cucked
It's the tesla fanboys that roam around college campuses spewing about much environment, yet will never be able to drive a tesla with their liberal arts degree

Kek

Makes sense that that user questioned my statement that Tesla drivers aren't as cucked as Prius drivers.