G-Wagon - long term viability?

Thinking whether I want to buy a G550, primary use being pic related. I like to buy cars new, and maintain them for decades - I know very well then what's been fucked up and how badly, and can decide how thoroughly I want to fix it or just let it go. I've had extensive experience with bimmers over the years and fix them all myself unless it is really heavy lifting, but never had a Mercedes.

So the question is, is G550 going to be maintainable after the warranty ends? I plan to scratch this thing the first day it comes into my possession, so resale value's gonna be shit anyway, and I'd rather keep it if it is a good car, or not buy it to begin with. Any anons here with G-Wagons already that can shed a light on this?

And, while we're on this topic, would I guess right that G63 is actually a worse offroader than G550?

Other urls found in this thread:

caranddriver.com/news/2018-mercedes-benz-g-wagen-spy-photos-news
motorauthority.com/news/1033020_2019-mercedes-benz-g-class-spy-shots
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I wouldn't trust post '95 G Class cars.

They got pumped full of modern electronics that can fail at some point.
They're just modern Mercedes with a way more robust chassis.

Pic related was the actual indestructible G.

How much are they costing and how much offroading do you actually do?

You might want to go ask /ORG/ about the viability of portal axles. I think one of their older Dodge Rams actually has a portal in the front.

If you have the time, and like pain, then go for it. G wagons are cool

It's (probably) a good offroader but keep in mind that the G has strayed from its roots - it's target market is rich beverly hills moms. As such, a electronic reliability is probably shit, and the car weighs and costs more than it needs if you're using it solely as an offroader. You'd be better off with a land cruiser.

Only the 6x6 and the 4x4^2 have portals, everyone else has regular axles

Is any modern car forced to be cafe-compliant and have a backup camera going to last for decades? At least a G wagon with the same design for 38 years is a better bet than most focus groupthinked clone cars in that regard.

Get it while you can, the 2018 model is "all new", scrapping the classic look and classic construction.

No ever seems to be able to answer this.
Does anybody know anything about the G-Class differentials? Ring gear size and bolt pattern? Axle diameter and spline count?

>the 2018 model is "all new", scrapping the classic look and classic construction
Jesus Fucking Christ, I'm sure as fuck not getting THAT.

I think you should draw your own conclusions before believing some vague, ill informed scare piece and a blatantly false artistic rendering.
caranddriver.com/news/2018-mercedes-benz-g-wagen-spy-photos-news

Keep in mind they still sell the G-Class pickup as a 2 tonne truck.

I call bullshit. This is a prototype that never made it to production. Pic related is how it's going to look like, so relax and collect some dough.

motorauthority.com/news/1033020_2019-mercedes-benz-g-class-spy-shots

Just get a suzuki samurai, G-wagons are whore mobiles

>suzuki samurai
you mean that cheap jap scrap that tips over when you try to take a corner?

If you're worried about reliability after the warranty why not just buy a Wrangler for a fraction of the cost? Much simpler electronics and mechanicals too. If possible through a dealer I would definitely strip that interior to cloth, de-chrome all of that shit and get rid of the gaudy wheels. I highly doubt it's possible but if you're about to drop that much dough on a car I'm sure you have some say into what you want

>Much simpler electronics and mechanicals too
What are you basing that on?

>some say into what you want
Not in US. In Germany or Europe, maybe. I won't mind getting the military version of the G-Wagon with all non-essential stuff stripped, but Mercedes won't sell it to me.

They (and other European manufacturers) are immovable on their cars' market positioning: luxury upper class exclusive and so on. They won't budge, and if you're stripping it, you're doing it on your dime, not theirs. Too bad, though.

>Wrangler
It bogs my mind that the hood on a Wrangler doesn't have a factory lock. Why even?

I'm happy that they are gonna stay to the true design and I'll be only sad if they change the design.

I'm decent off with my financial state and I'd love a G-Wagon too but not a G63 because that shit drinks fuel like a mofo. I'd rather have the regular G550 and just enjoy the bossy looks and the feel it gives and also I can be very confident of what it's capable of.

From what I've heard, Gwagons are pretty easy to maintain because in it 80% are mechanical and not electrical stuff and I don't know whether if it's true or not.

>mercedes made in the last 20 years
>long term reliability

>From what I've heard, Gwagons are pretty easy to maintain because in it 80% are mechanical and not electrical stuff and I don't know whether if it's true or not.
What exactly have you "heard" that makes a G-Class less electronic than an M-Class? Or are you just making things up as you go?

That's why I told I'm not so sure that it's true or not.

I just heard from a friend that a GWagon is mostly mechanical than other Mercedes and it's prone to less breaking unlike other Mercedes.

A lot of people who claim that MB's are unreliable are mostly pointing at the airbag suspensions that cost a few grand to replace.

But a G-Class has coil springs and gas shocks.