Land Rover Defender

So I'm in the market for a Land Rover Defender. It's uses would be off-road or general SHTF
>ind4 irelevant
So which engine should I go for? From what I have seen the 2.5l Tdi and non turbo are the most abundant in my area.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/itm/262863848294
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

When SHTF , how will you service/repair your Land Cucker? Are you a eurocuck or a burger?

If its SHTF and you are based in murrica, you are better off getting anything ford or gm based. Plenty of those will be scattered and abandoned. Easy to get parts for.

However. Shtf will not happen so enjoy your defendet and just remember, if it is not leaking oil something is wrong.

BMW 2.8L

diesels are more reliable than the V8

on the other hand the V8 is piss easy to fix

Parts for the V8 are also cheaper since the engine is in a lot of other cars and there's a big aftermarket

The entire car can be reduced to every single individual component using a 32 piece socket set and a screwdriver so for 'shtf' you are fine (in europe anyway)

If you get one you also need a britpart catalog

If you are in US,
Is right, part availability will be more important. Think about banging the shit out of your battle wagon, and then trying to scavenge land rover parts. You're fucking screwed.

Now imagine trying to find Silverado, Tacoma, or f150 parts....HURRAY you're in fucking business.

>implying land cruiser or 4runners aren't better anyway

All the diesels are good. The TD5 is the most refined.

The older engines sound like a bag of rusty spanners being chucked one by one at a tin shed.
But thats a good thing.

The "bad" LR diesel was revised in 1980 three years before the SIII ended, when they switched the crank from three main bearing to five.

It was used until 1990 in turbo and non turbo form.

Defender name was introduced in the 90's when the interior was umpgraded aswell.

The pre Defender engines came in turbo and non turbo. They are reliable, but slow as shit.
The tdi Defender engines have some more power, and are still reliable.

TD5 in later models has the best power but is more complicated to work on. This is the same engine found in the Discovery and X5.
83-90 dont have the Defender name and the they are much more agricultural in interior equipment.

>not choosing a Lada Niva
Are you silly?

w461 with the om617 is a much better vehicle

I'd buy the Defender over the Niva in a heartbeat.
Land Rover had been improving its core off-roader over the best part of six decades, like better ride quality, better interior, a permanent 4-wheel drive system.

Meanwhile, the Niva did also take the lessons from old LR Series but Lada never improved their off-roader, partly because options like heaters, radios and comfortable seats were a decadent capitalist luxury and partly because Lada worked under the principal of "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

> land rover for SHTF

funniest thing I've ever heard

>Lada never improved their off-roader, partly because options like heaters
Are you nuts? All soviet cars had heaters.

You don't know shit unfortunately.
Niva had the same core design and were incrementally improved, for example the seats were changed to more 'modern' ones in the 1990s when older style seats fell out of fashion and safety. I drive one 30 miles per day and the seats are fine. Cars in the Soviet Union had some amazing heaters, the one on the Niva kicks heat out like standing next to a stove, I mean, if it was built for -40 then wouldn't you put a good heater in it? - of course. The heaters in fact of most Soviet Cars is a redeeming factor, heck the ZAZ marque had a petrol heater in some models! The Niva has received updates to the engines and transmission through the years and even more recently front suspension. You radio comment is also a bit retarded, both cars come from an era when users had to fit the radio, even my '97 model didn't have a radio when it came off the ship. Your comment if it ain't broke, why fix it, should be: "If it was designed perfectly, why the fuck do you need to improve it ? I've driven in and been driven in both, off-road and on-road and would pick the Niva anytime, I've managed to smoke 2015 Defenders up muddy hills at agricultural auctions in the Niva, their faces when they stuck in their £29k XS and some Slavic shitbox comes scrambling up past them, like a goat up a hill. The Niva also has permanent 4x4. Join us brother.

This is pure uncut ideology

Land Rover defender, shtf, Er no. The wiring loom runs along the chassis, blowing exhaust burns entire loom at the back causing no lights, brake lights or indicators, chassis is designed to collect rain and mud and is made of corrodium, it will be rusted before you get it home, fatal rust can occur within a few years. Gearbox, engine and transfer box all leak oil, all the time, even new seals are so poorly designed they leak. Universal joints on the wheels corrode and need replacing, you'll never undo it with a socket set and screwdrivers, cos everything will be rusted to fuck and you need to cut it off. Aluminum doors over steel frames corrode due to galvanic corrosion. Slow noisy and uncomfortable. Any Questions?

Can confirm, the loom rots for a hobby and has to be cut out and replaced either completely or wire by wire. And the just...oh the horror....

I smell horseshit.

*rust

Then they do things like this to them.....
And ask for this much cash....

ebay.co.uk/itm/262863848294

What is a good SHTF 4x4? Asking for a friend

Subaru forester
>ak47 of a car

land rover
>sa80 mod1

I'd go for a smaller offloaded or a scrambler, that would be far better on fuel.

Depends how much cash you have to spend, how much room you need, wether you want to be discreet or obvious and how much off road you're thinking of. But I have had a defender 300tdi and every time I needed it, something was fucked, and every bit you fit to it new is as shit as the bit you took off. And not good on juice either, if shtf, you need economical and reliable and discreet like a fiat panda 4x4. Landrover is neither, and after driving 50 miles you'd be fucked, so you couldn't bug out every far. It's fucking heavy to work on and made of shit metal

bug in > bug out.

spend the money on a nice bunker instead.

It's not like almost every military on the planet uses the Defender.

this shtf is just retarded american paranoia that's been around since roswell