Meme car

What are Veeky Forums's thoughts on Subaru?

I traded out of a Jeep Liberty into a Crosstrek for the ol lady to drive, and I'm over my Wrangler and want to get another Subaru, but I can't decide which one I want, and I'm thinking of waiting for their 2018 refresh to see if they will offer an improved product across the board after their newest Impreza was so well received.

I know the head gasket meme is only 2010 and earlier, and Suby is only for lesbos and vapers apparently, but those memes aside, would you trade an iconic TJ Wrangler for a practical daily driver? If so, which one? And if not, why not? I'm open to suggestions, but besides being sadly underpowered, I love the Crosstrek.

Pic unrelated. Just my project truck.

Tl;dr I live in Michigan and want an awd econo-adventure mobile.

What engine do you have in that C1500?

>buying subarus
>ever
they're shit and have no redeeming features.

>cvt cuckboxes

I've got a 350 bored out .30 over (355) with a 210° duration cam and roller lifters. Vortec heads. Aftermarket headers. Nothing crazy, but it lights up the tires if I want and does okay on gas if I'm not hoonin it at every green light I see.

I want to put a turbo on it, but not with a kit. I think it would be fun to fab up everything, but I'm not sure which size to go with. Haven't done any research, but if I don't intercool it, it shouldn't be too hard to do.

Everybody says I should just do an LS swap, but I just like working on the ol small block.

I had the Vortec 4.3 in mine. I miss that thing.

Okay, pretty much the entire crossover segment is moving towards cvt's. I'm sorry you either don't like them, or more likely don't understand them, but there's obviously a reason that more and more manufacturers are switching over.

The one in my Crosstrek gives me no issues, besides uninspired power delivery, but since I purchased it for fuel economy and winter weather prowess, why would I care if I can't burn the rubber off the tires?

That's a good engine, too. Buddy of mine had an extended cab k1500 with the 4.3 and took it everywhere until a tree fell on it. It still drove, but the middle of the frame was only two inches from the ground.

So long as you keep that chevy, forget the Jeep. Trade that shit in, and get yourself a vape car, it don't matter, do what you want nigga. Just don't get rid of that chevy and you can't go wrong.

Hmm.

>spending 15-25k on a vehicle for mpg
>not just buying a civic or something else efficient for a few grand
you're an idiot. you spent 25k to "save money"? you know how much gas 20k buys? "yes it has uninspired power delivery but i'm ok with that because i'm a cuck"

I may not have failed to mention I want something AWD, and multiple independent tests confirm that Ford, Honda and Toyota make an inferior AWD system to Subaru and Mazda. A civic would be great if I lived in Florida and did nothing but cruise around being a douche bag like you, but I go camping, hiking, and biking, and a Civic won't get me where I'm going. My Jeep does, no problem, but it's just not practical at anything but clearing obstacles that it almost never encounters, and that ability doesn't justify the gratuitous fuel consumption that this all star offroader achieves. So, really anything more efficient than 13mpg combined will pay for a fraction of itself.

AWD effectiveness aside, an Outback, a Forester, and a Crosstrek all have better ground clearance than anything comparable that the competition offers in that market segment in the same price category.

Try to get the six cyl Outback then.
Or maybe the SVX if clearance is not an issue.

That's really the direction I'm thinking. Plus I've got two dogs, so the Outback really draws my eye. Plus you can get the rear seats heated and the eyesight system is tits.

I have a 1.5l turbo CVT civic and it's pretty nice

My belief is that people that disparage the CVT don't actually understand it's function. It's ideal for smooth, even, constant power delivery, where anything else stops delivering power to the wheels intermittently between shifts. A robust enough CVT would smash a comparable car in a 0-60 test.

I got a Dodge somethingorother as a rental a couple of times while travelling and it was horrid. Probably more because it was gutless but the trans just felt unnatural and seemed to add to the problem.

my Civic felt really weird at first but it's grown on me
once you get used to the lack of shift points it feels fine

I sell Subaru's for a living. I'm really unsure why there's so much baseless hatred for Subaru's on this board. Maybe the bus riders all had some guy in a Subaru call him a fag. Who knows?

They're pretty damn good cars, but my god are the non turbo's /H6's slow as fuck. Your interest in the Crosstrek should be fine as long as you're okay with the speed.

An older Forester XT or Outback 3.6/3.0 are a very good option. The turbo's though are always beat to shit, so you will need a turbo replacement/rebuild at some point. If it was abused, prepare for a new engine. The flat sixes are bullet proof.

Head gasket meme shouldn't even be a meme. It was on the EJ25D that hasn't been used in ages, and was fixed a long time ago.

The 2018 Crosstrek will be a whole new model, based on the 2017 Impreza. The XV is literally a impreza just higher up. So it's gonna be really nice.

Ask away if you have more questions.

>headgasket meme
Thus.
The most recent engine that had gasket issues was the EJ251, and that was mostly based on its perpetual desire to run hotter than it should have. Design was revised in 2003, oil galleries and cooling were improved dramatically.
>former Subie dealership mechanic, not like I know anything about these vehicles or anything

I was looking at a newer Forester XT, but I'm wondering is there any weight to my suspicion that the Crosstrek and Outback might also eventually get the turbo treatment?

I love the idea of a 3.6l Outback because of the space, power, and good acceleration, but loath the idea of modest fuel economy. I feel like a turbo would be a good middle ground for that application.

They look pretty straightforward to me to work on. Is that the case? I've always been a heavy duty diesel mechanic for the railroad, but I know my way around cars okay.

exactly. head gaskets are a meme.
Ring lands however...

is getting work done at dealer with services written down on carfax worth it for possible future selling?

Honestly, the CVT in the Suby is just... right. It feels natural to me. I'm used to standard automatics, but i had no trouble acclimating to the CVT in my Crosstrek. And the paddle shifters seem to have had a lot of thought put into them.

My only complaint is against my Wrangler, the Crosstrek experience is not exactly exciting or peppy, but the handling and road manners make driving the Wrangler feel akin to driving an especially lumpy potato. I more powerful engine in the Crosstrek would be worth a few MPGs to me, but I understand why it is what it is.

The head gasket meme also only applies to anything with a 2.5 (EJ motor). The 1.8 (EA motor) can also have those issues but it's less common. If it has the 2.2, they almost never have head gasket problems.

Should mention that the 2.2 is also an EJ.

I've owned two vehicles that were somewhat in the same class, a base model Outback and a Honda element. They both actually got taken offroad (nothing crazy, just muddy dirt/gravel roads in order to drive down to my favorite fishing spots on the river). The Honda would spin and then lockup, so from a stop it was much harder to get moving, however it would grip pretty well once you had some movement. The Subaru was better, still would spin the front tires some times but not as much as the Honda. The Honda had an interior that was easier to maintain (literally built to just open up the doors and hose it out) while the Subaru had really shitty carpet that would hold on to pine needles and dirt forever and was really hard to clean. The Honda got better gas mileage (28 as opposed to 20 in the Subie) as well, and dat k20 was a little bit more enjoyable on the freeway, they were both slow shitboxes though. All in all I would say the element was better than the Subaru, and slightly more reliable in the long run. Just one owners point of view.

stop kidding yourself awd is not necessary. it only helps get you off the line. it doesn't make you steer or stop any better.

They need to do a turbo Crosstrek. It would be perfect with 180-200hp and the same torque.

You keep on arguing about points that aren't even relevant. Did you fail to read the bits where I live in Michigan and enjoy light offroading to my camping and hiking locations?

I mean, yeah I'm taking your bait, but golly gee you're dumb.

a gravel road is not "light offroading". I could do that in my civic.

Right on.

You have to ask yourself; why would the Crosstrek get a turbo? If you think about it from a business perspective, you'll figure out why it would never happen. The 3.6R is not that great on fuel, but its 87 octane so it's not that bad, compared to 91+ on the turbos.

Yes, but any shop that reports it is also ok. You have to weight the cost of going to the dealership vs resale to see if it's worth it. It does look better

Man, it would be awesome, but see above.

I own a Wrangler. I've climbed hills so steep they can't be walked. I know the difference, you weenie. My adventures begin where yours end.

But boy are you good with the bait. Good troll. But I'll bet your highly pedestrian civic can't keep pace with this thing, even off the line on the street.

Well crafted

In reference to the Crosstrek, I suppose I'm just guilty of wishful thinking. If the one I've got was for me and not my better half, I'd have already ordered the turbo kit for it. But I do know one common complaint about them is that they're gutless, but they seem to sell like hot cakes despite that.

I can at least say I was ignorant to the higher octane ratings of the turbo models. Mostly anything that gets better than my Jeep's average will be acceptable.

You're reflecting my thoughts almost verbatim. Are we channeling the same crankshaft goddess or something?

I really wish they would come out with one as well. Trust me. But at this point, with current sales (you being right, they're selling very well), they have no motivation to make one. It would also price it far out of it's price range, bleeding into Forester XT money (which it almost is at). Subaru has no reason to do it, and won't because of that.

But the Forester XT's are bitchin. Look into those. 31k gets you a lot of car.

I have a 08 H4 outback. If I go for an outback again in the future I'd get an h6 for the added power and additional tech that goes with it standard. Can take 87 too. The unfortunate thing is is that it only adds an additional 300lbs of towing giving you a max of 3000lbs. The upside is that you get a 5eat tranny if looking at pre-cvt.

How are subaru cvt in comparison to other companies?

They feel natural, but if you're looking for sporty shifts, you won't get that from it, even with the paddle shifters it's a slightly muted feel. But that's just my experience with a Crosstrek. An H6 with more power might feel more spirited.

I've driven a few other CVT cars, and I prefer the Subaru Lineartronic CVT experience. Plus they're less prone to trouble.

stop throwing your money at cuckovers you idiot

Why would I want to purchase something other than a vehicle that suits my needs exactly? I already have a pickup truck for utility, and I don't need the bulk and heft of a traditional body-on-frame SUV, and a traditional sedan won't work for my lifestyle either.

What's your hangup, anyway? Afraid of change and progress?

they're bloated hatchbacks on stilts that don't do anything well

fashion accessories for idiotic housewives who can't bear being seen in a minivan

Projecting much?

My Crosstrek goes off-road halfway decent, hauls all my gear and both my dogs when my better half and I go on long road trips, and all the while handling like a modern car and doing great on gas.

I guess I don't see what it isn't doing well besides making some internet grump happy, which isn't what I bought it for.

I guess what you're failing to see is that everything in life is about priorities and compromises. My lifestyle and budget logically put a Crosstrek in my driveway. Maybe a baby crib would be better for you.

>X much?
>reddit spacing
>reddit grammar
>u just a big meany doodoo head
>>>/reddit/

>no valid counterpoint
>ad hominem attacks
>lost the debate

Get over yourself.