I got my first speeding ticket ever today

I got my first speeding ticket ever today.
Can I expect my insurance rates to go up?

Yes.

tell us the story faget. take a defensive driving course to lower your points and maybe save a few bucks on insurnace

If it's your first, it shouldn't go up by too much. I have a red light ticket and I pay an extra $35 a year because of it.

Age? I got one when I was 18 and it never really fucked me too much. Got a second one couple years back when I was 25. Currently paying $73/mo through USAA.

I've got two, but one was beat in court and I took traffic school for the other, so I have no points, insurance didn't go up

How fast? What state?

i was driving too fast and i got a ticket, the end.

I pay $100 a month currently. 24, no accidents, no previous tickets, and I don't drive a luxury or sports car.
I'm hoping for 10% or less increase, if there is one at all.

>tell us the story faget.
Not much of a story.
I was on my way to work, driving the same road I drive every day.
The only difference was that I was the only person on the road this morning. I mean that there was literally nobody in front of me, behind me, beside me, nothing. The road was completely empty in both directions.

I was doing the same speed I do every other day, so I didn't think anything of it. Then the cop speeds up behind me then starts flashing his lights.

It was only 65 in a 55.

you are a fucking asshole
how much over were you going?
was it a school zone?
etc
etc

>going 25 over
>get caught
>admit I was speeding when he asks if I know why he pulled me over
>he asks how much
>ohshit.jpg
>realize that he probably didn't scan me, just saw that I was obviously speeding
>"Uh, I think about 5 over."
>says he had me going 15 over
>clearly he didn't scan me
>apologize, say I didn't think I was going any more than 5 over, never admit to going any faster
>he says that because I was cooperative and it was my first offence, he'll just mark me at 5 over
>basically a slap on the wrist for hooning
Goddamn I love being white.

Kek I wish my first ticket went that
>get pulled over going 80 in a 65
>has me pull off freeway, into Starbucks parking lot
>comes to window, asks for license and such
>comes back with ticket about 15 minutes later
>has me sign it before asking if I know why he pulled me over
He didn't use radar and just paced me, that let me beat him in court. Fuck that guy

65 in a 55? That's ridiculous. Ten miles an hour over the limit on the highway is nothing

Vinland Saga images... on my board?
Great!

>he says that because I was cooperative and it was my first offence, he'll just mark me at 5 over
pfft i had the same thing happen to a buddy of mine, the only difference is that we live in fucking Toronto so any ticket is basically ~$1000 more or whatever every year on insurance

Can't you fight it in court?

The county I was stopped in issues more speeding citations than any other county in the state.
Keep in mind the county has a population of about 10,000. So basically their entire revenue source is tickets for non-residents who commute there for work.

Yes, but I would lose in a heartbeat. I was over the limit and he has radar to prove it.

>I was over the limit and he has radar to prove it.
doesn't mean much
a good lawyer would have a very good chance at fighting a 10 over ticket

you should actually weigh the cost of a lawyer to the cost of paying the ticket

first one doesn't matter. second one will make them go up.

>I was over the limit and he has radar to prove it.
>Doesnt matter, a good lawyer has a good chance at fighting it

This, ladies and gentlemen, is what's wrong with america.

Fuck you I'm hungry now.

Your rates will go up for this.

How so? If the cop didn't clock him properly he won't even show up in court.

My only advice to you OP.

I don't see a problem in fighting a ticket that wasn't issued in accordance with law, no matter if you've committed a offense.

The State is bound by Law as much as I am.

>t. frosty

>t. bootlicker

LAWYER
A
W
Y
E
R

>a good lawyer would have a very good chance at fighting a 10 over ticket

how?

Explain how it was not issued in accordance with the law.

What's wrong with America is hiring half your damn police force to fuck around giving people tickets for 10 over on empty highways.

IIRC some cop on Veeky Forums was talking about how traffic cops get a bad wrap even within the police force because in criminal court for minor things, the jury's experience with cops tends to be from traffic cops being shitheads and they are lenient on criminals.

I've gotten a written warning for a scanned 30 over (and I was doing 30 over) by a cop that looked like /pol/'s wet dream as a black guy.

It really is just about not being retarded around a cop 90% of the time and they'll go easy on you.

What a shitty looking steak.

Post your steak, friend

it depends on your insurer and the state. for instance, for GEICO in the state of new york, they look at your three year history before insuring with them or the 34 months before the renewal date if renewing, and then they assign points based off of you having accidents or tickets.

for instance, an accident that results in more than $2,000 in damage total to one or more vehicles can be surcharged - but vehicles hit while parked, other party received a moving violation citation for the accident, hit and run, etc. are not surcharged.

now, for tickets, you get three "points" for DWUI/DWAI, hit and run with failure to report, homicide/criminal negligence resulting in death or injury, and two points for speeding resulting in injury/death or reckless manner resulting in injury or death.

now notice zero is mentioned about speeding tickets. in NY, there is nothing on surcharging for speeding that doesn't result in a conviction. the key part is that if you get convicted of more than 20mph over the limit or high enough where it's considered reckless driving, then you get fucked. hard. period.

how much is the ticket? In new york, a failing to stop at a stop sign ticket can be $100+ with court fees of $93 for a total of $200 or more.

even if the points don't transfer between states record of the conviction will. something like 45 states (and some canadian provinces with certain states) share ticket info and will suspend your license in the home state for failure to pay in the away state.

and even if there aren't any points, it'll show up in most cases to insurers.

so here's my story
>driving on a road with few house, it's like a one lane county route but isn't classified as such
>driving the speed limit of 30 will get cars aggressively tailgaiting and possibly (illegally) passing you in the oncoming lane
>doing in the 40s
>cop pulls me over and says I was doing 53mph (doubtful, also wish I had turned my radar detector on as he was spamming non-stop kA).
>ticket would be six points on NYS DMV system plus potential insurance impact

So the ticket would have been:
>$500 for the ticket
>$100/yr for the next three years on my vehicle registration to surcharge me for the "points" from the ticket- any additional points (e.g. 2 for stop sign ticket) would be
>total around $800, assuming no insurance impact

Instead I paid:
>$550 for a lawyer (rich area = expensive lawyers)
>$200 for a stop sign ticket
>$25 for defensive driving course
>total around $775 and zero insurance impact, but defensive driving lowers my auto insurance premiums by around $100/yr

So effectively I got out of a 53/30mph radar ticket (although I doubt the officer's radar was calibrated accurately if he got that reading) and plead guilty to a stop sign ticket instead.

t. convict
Enjoy your dead end life.

here
There's a few factors that make a lawyer worth it for a traffic ticket without the system being "totally broken".

In the criminal justice system, 85% of cases never go in front of a jury. The defendant is tried, the prosecution and defense talk it over, and usually the prosecution will offer a lesser charge if the defendant skips trial and pleads guilty to a lesser charge without going through a trial.

Civilly (e.g. traffic offenses) things often work the same way. The end goal of a traffic ticket is to financially punish those who infringe on the traffic law. If a cop feels that as a first time offense or it's an area where it's common, he may let you off with a warning or write the ticket for a lower penalty (e.g. fewer mph over the limit than reality).

Even if he doesn't, there is a burden to the process/effort to have you come in front of court. If the ticket was issued by a cop, he typically has to take time out of his day to testify, and whether you represent yourself or hire a lawyer, someone took the effort to show up and represent your case in front of the judge.

Most judges are reasonable, and if lawyers are given power to negotiate a plea bargain on behalf of clients, it's smoother to give a lesser offense, especially if it's a first time offense for the person being represented.

Now, in many states you can represent yourself, and if you're local + can take off work, if you show up in a nice suit and shirt in front of a judge, they'll give you latitude. My brother was cited for an improper left turn in an accident, and showing up to the court, the judge straight away offered "failure to produce registration to an officer" which was something like a $35 and a non-moving violation.

Some judges will just throw the book at you, so a lawyer can be better in those cases, and if you don't live locally to show up to the court to fight it, you need a local one to show up and fight on your behalf.

>be me
>220 hp toyota celica
>have 2-3 tickets per year
>insurance is around 200$ a year
>it covers basically everything
Damn I love to be European

Fuuug

>not defending your rights
>t. cuck

Hey I got a speeding ticket today too. High five