Good cheap car chart

The good cheap car chart pinned link is dead, and its probably time for an updated list

Post any updated versions you have

Other urls found in this thread:

newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5989386839.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/6014075079.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5979922303.html
nwct.craigslist.org/cto/6013598623.html
hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/ctd/6004751432.html
longisland.craigslist.org/cto/6018515019.html
newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/6010204075.html
westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/6016948157.html
cnj.craigslist.org/cto/6022058891.html
cnj.craigslist.org/cto/6016261157.html
cnj.craigslist.org/cto/6011898942.html
cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5960212163.html
fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=30164&id=30471&id=30451
newhaven.craigslist.org/ctd/6013480003.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5994637452.html
hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5994240990.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/6020835294.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/6001776489.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5993568856.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/6012261403.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5985743796.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/ctd/6022233785.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ayyyy

Still have the master excel file if people really wanted to make an effort to update it.

That would be amazing.

HE LIVES

hot hatch should definetly be and Abarth 500
they're quick, nice to look at, handle great and are cheap plus have a huge aftermarket.
mid/full sedans should be Chrysler 200 or 300
smaller SUV/crossover a cherokeee

Git out you newfag.

>under 5 grand
>good

They are FUCKing ugly and if you do like the looks, almost nobody says anything good about the seating position.

Do you guys think $1000 Mustangs are reasonable? I see lots on Craigslist. Do you think the price is reasonable or is it a scam?

civic @ $3k. always

What happened to the lost TFTD?

why no 350z?

>350Z
>under 5k
pick one. The sticky ALWAYS has worked on a 5K budget.

Depends, I see a lot of v6 autos for that price around here, and more often that not "v6, automatic" is posted as a con. The only other Mustangs I see for that price are rollers, totalled or halfway-complete project cars.

So I think if you're looking for a v6 auto that's not bad. Bear in mind it's not overwhelmingly expensive to flip that into a v8 manual if that's your end goal.

Same with Corolla or Camry for $1.5k+

Scion tC's should be on there, you can probably find one with the bolt-on supercharger for under $5k.

>Scion tC's should be on there, you can probably find one with the bolt-on supercharger for under $5k.
Yup. I'd say replace the Prelude with the tC. and replace the CRX with the Scion xA/xB (because good luck finding an unmodified CRX), and replace the Tercel with the Echo.

Still alive. Work just kicked my ass through the holidays. My immediate boss got shit canned, so I did his job plus mine for a solid 2 months. Next Friday/Saturday I have off, I'll drop the TFTD Lost Chapters

As far as people actually wanting to update the sticky, keep in mind the sticky is for cars on a 5K or less USD budget. If you suggest a car, be willing to show that it can be found in somewhat reasonable condition for five thousand dollars or less, why it should be on the chart, as well as pros/cons/problem areas for that car

>If you suggest a car, be willing to show that it can be found in somewhat reasonable condition for five thousand dollars or less, why it should be on the chart, as well as pros/cons/problem areas for that car

Will do.
I suggested replacing the Honda Prelude with the 2005-2010 Scion tC.
>Pros: Camry engine in a Corolla sized car (so it's decently quick), massive aftermarket, toyota reliability
>common problems: poor modifications, bearings on TRD supercharger, oil consumption
>proof of budget:
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5989386839.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/6014075079.html

I also suggested replacing the CRX with the 2004-2006 Scion xA and xB
>Pros: spacious, attention grabbing, fuel efficient, reliable
>known issues: Poor modifications, poor maintenance
I can't find much else for known problems beside problems after 150k resulting from poor maintenance.
>proof of Budget
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5979922303.html
nwct.craigslist.org/cto/6013598623.html
hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/ctd/6004751432.html
longisland.craigslist.org/cto/6018515019.html

And replacing the Tercel with the Echo
Pros: same as Scion xA/xB minus attention grabbing
Cons: The xA and xB were built on the Echo so the same issues carry over. So not many. Toyota reliability tax
>Proof of budget:
newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/6010204075.html
westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/6016948157.html

Wait at least another year for Abarth 500.
The 200 is shit.

does the P80 platform really need to be on there twice?
probably could replace the 850 saloon, it's still on the list under wagons anyway
a Mazda 6 or some shit would be a good replacement
>Pros: good aftermarket, good DD, parts are cheap and plentiful
>cons: Trans issues, excessive oil consumption/leakage, blocked purge valves 2003-04 models can be total lemons
10 y/o mazda 6s are definitely less than $5k

>find out about TFTD X-files
I want to believe

The stick is for a $5,000 budget.
WHY is this so hard for morons to fucking understand?
Not a single one of these suggested cars would be cheap enough to make the sticky.

>all these replies
damn got them gud

It's good to see you lpg

The Dodge Durango should absolutely be somewhere on here. Years from 01-08 should be under $5k in most places.

Can be had cheap with low-ish miles, and its not a bad SUV.

picture suggestion for the tC.
Another pro is that Scions period come loaded so if a sunroof was available or ABS or A/C were available, they have it. The only options were all aftermarket accessories.

picture suggestion for the Echo.

and a suggestion for the Scion xA/xB picture.

Hey lads

New driver here looking into Ford Focuses

Any advice on milage and what to look out for?

good luck OP

sedans and wagons were available with a SOHC engine. Avoid those. Here's a picture of the engine for identification. The 2.0L Split Port engines are part of the CVH engine family and well known for dropping valves, which of course destroys the engine.

Go for a Zetec or Duratec engined car

how about adding "no older than 3 years" section per class? would it be too much a problem?

This
Scion tC should be in the coupes.
Also maybe Acura rsx somewhere??

>how about adding "no older than 3 years" section per class? would it be too much a problem?
yes it would be a problem. The sticky operates on a 5k budget. You are not going to find ANYTHING in that price range under 3 years old.

>mfw I was able to find aw11's cheap and decent a few years ago before the sticky with the chart was made
I blame you tube faggots that make videos like "cheap sports cars you can buy today" or something like that and you guys for making some cheap fun cars more expensive on Craigsbitch

Alright suggestions so far:

Prelude replaced by 05-10 Scion tC

CRX replaced by 04-06 Scion xA & xB

Tercel replaced by Echo (no years given)

possibly add older model Mazda6

possibly add Dodge Durango (very skeptical about this one)

>Tercel replaced by Echo (no years given)
2000-2005 which is every year the Echo was made.

>possibly add Dodge Durango (very skeptical about this one)
I'm not the guy who suggested it, but I think it's a good idea. It's basically an SUV based on the Dodge Dakota. So long as it's a first gen 1998-2003 model, I don't see a problem 2004-2008 models were trash though, just like the Dakota of those years.

Also, Though the xA and xB would be replacing the CR-X. I think the Civic hatch should move to the honorable mentions, and the xA/xB given the big spotlight. They're generally easier to find, even if the Civic is more fun to drive.

. I'm here looking for a reliable car and checked craigslist for the durango and they are some nice looking ones for under 5 but for example how many miles are left on a truck like this nobody wants to pay 5 thousand for something might die within the year. so someone would need to vouch for how many miles you can get out of one.

If I spend the 5K I'm hoping for 3 years at least.

see here's something people don't think about often.
When looking at a car, don't just look at ones you like. Consider your lifestyle
>What do you need the car to do?
>Any special luggage requirements?
>Fuel economy requirements?
>size/space requirements?

If you're looking for fuel economy, a truck is not the way to go, no matter how cool you think they are.

Here. This should last you forever, provided you keep up with maintenance.
cnj.craigslist.org/cto/6022058891.html

why bother no one ever fucking reads that shit

>no one ever fucking reads that shit
clearly you didn't. You leased an automatic Scion FR-S

thanks, I'm in hard time financially than i'm accustomed to. I just had a baby, I'm big and fat, and often haul furniture for resale on craigslist. So I'm trying to split the difference like station wagon, van, or suv. but that scion defiantly looks like a good fallback plan. actually i would rather have that than blow a lot on a van that doesn't last. in some strange twist of fate gas is pretty cheap in NJ so its not that big of deal.

i appreciate the suggestion I might go have a look at it.

space is a concern, you may rather take a look at these. They're more spacious but should be just as reliable.
cnj.craigslist.org/cto/6016261157.html
cnj.craigslist.org/cto/6011898942.html
cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5960212163.html

Can someone recomend some trucks i should look for with a 10k budget? I was really looking at tacomas but it seems like everyone asks stupid prices for what they are and when i ask people i know what other options there are for a good 4x4 medium sized truck that can do some mild offroading sometimes i get different answers from everyone and it makes it difficult when people say oh X is shit you want Y etc etc.

The mid-size truck market is pretty shit. For the money, you're better off with a used full size truck.
Heavily recommend the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra.
Though if you HAVE to have a mid-size truck, the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon are every bit as good as the Tacoma, but without the numerous frame problems.

wow, thanks you saved me so much time. I will never be able to repay you. I will leave you with my lifetime inexpensive used car knowledge. Ttops always leak, the old Camry engine was so good I think they made a mistake, Subaru paid to fix my transmission after the warranty just because they care, chevys last longer than expected if you take care of them, cheap fords that look good are a disaster waiting to happen. that is all i know.

Its not so much i have to have a mid size but since i dont tow anything and mainly use the bed every now and then i figured it would be better on gas and space.

>i figured it would be better on gas and space.
the gas mileage difference is negligible. One of the Tacoma's competitors, the Honda Ridgeline, uses a 3.5L V6. This would be fine except the Honda V6 gets the EXACT same gas mileage numbers as a 4x4 Silverado with the 5.3L V8.
fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=30164&id=30471&id=30451

The fuel economy numbers don't lie. There's no noticeable difference.

upload it dude. I would take a go at it

Whoa, the sticky image is magically back.

What happened?

I picked one up as my first car, and for what it is, its pretty nice. Don't have many KM on it (16000), but no issues yet. Smooth drive, nice and quiet inside. Can't complain for a first car, besides maybe wanting an ST instead.
If you are getting an auto, I've heard the pre-facelift DCTs are prone to issues and have a lot more stuttering than post-facelifts.

DESU I'm not sure what advice you'll get, aside from people going
>Ford

For the full-size sedan section, it would probably be worth changing the Crown Victoria spot to just Ford Panther Platform, as Grand Marquis and Town Cars can be often found cheaper and in better condition than a same year Crown Vic and definitely less beat to shit than a P71. Also, if you're going to keep the model years including pre-2003 cars, DEFINITELY DEFINITELY DEFINITELY add the cracking intake manifold (one of the most well-known problems on the cars) to Common Problem Areas and Issues.

>comparing brand new Focii to old early 2000's models
kill yourself

>guy asks for advice
>inform him of what I have read from other Focii owners
>that's a bad thing
?????

I wouldn't mind consolidating the panther platform to one entry under the sedans.

That would create an opening in the luxury cars segment however, as the town car would become redundant

>what to look out for
RUST
U
S
T

Where my stories at you lying nigger

In that case, maybe leave the Town Car where it is but add in the Marquis to the CV slot? The CV and GM are basically rebadges and share everything from the sheetmetal (from '02 onwards of course) to the shop manual while the Town Car has all sorts of weird little bits and pieces unique to itself anyway.

Either way definitely mention the intake manifold for pre-2003 cars, it's a time bomb waiting to happen if the car hasn't had it replaced yet.

THE LEGEND HAS RETURNED

This

Name anything about the new Focus models that also applies to the old ones and is actually helpful to him.
Oh wait. Absolutely nothing. Kill yourself. The ST and DCT you mentioned weren't available until 2012 for the DCT and 2013 for the ST.

Maybe replace the Town car with a 2003-2007 Cadillac CTS. They're in budget luxury cars.
Pros: great handling chassis, comfy, and fun
Cons: Timing chain issues, intake gaskets, and brake issues on early cars

newhaven.craigslist.org/ctd/6013480003.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5994637452.html
hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5994240990.html

Something that shocked me, for a Cadillac. When looking at CL prices to prove it's in budget, I came across several cars with over 200k and running fine.

>I just had a baby, I'm big and fat
Work off that baby fat now or you'll be fat for life

Are the ~07-09 Corolla or Camrys still good cars?

I have $6000 and can find them near me with 90-120k miles on them in that price range.

My 94 camry has served me well the last 7 years, but im looking for a newish standard looking car that doesnt stand out at all.

I looked into small SUVs, but CR-Vs and Rav4s are prohibitively expensive, while Equinoxes have shit engines and Ford Escapes have shit transmissions.

At this point in my life I just want to fit in with the crowd. What reliable car/suv in my price range would do that?

They're still good. 09+ cars use a different chassis and engine though, but still good

or maybe he just doesn't give a shit.

Suggestion for another section since it always gets asked on here
>wat drift car should I get for cheap
some cheap options are NA fb/fc rx7's, s13/s14 240sx, bmw 3 & 5 series, then a curve ball to be different could be d21 hardbodies & tacomas since they can be found often in RWD/Manual configurations.
(prices can be found for less, but suggested is for out the box with little problems)
>240sx $2k-$6k
the go to drift shitbox
cheap, but drifttax drives up prices
crazy huge & cheap after market
basicly drifts itself with a welded diff & coilovers
underpowered, but stock KA can take boost easy, engine swaps leave plenty of options and are cheap + well documented.
rust on frame rails is a big issue
abused from last owners with bad mods
preventable oil issues with KA's & SR's running low from unattended leaks then oil starving while going sideways under high G's

>BMW E36 $800-$4k
plenty came with manual
can be found for dirt cheap left over from lower middle class family's that thought it made them look wealthy until the repair bill comes in.
cheap aftermarket
can be an electrical nightmare
stout engines with some cooling issues

>FC RX7 $1.5k-$5k
NA's are cheap but have no power
APEX SEALS
keep up on rotary maintenance and it be very reliable as far as drift cars go.
upgrade the cooling ASAP
light as hell cars
LSD options stock
great chassis if you wanted to put a 'merican V8 in
did I mention extremely underpowered in NA form?

>D21 Hardbody pick up $200-$2k
dirt fucking cheap, (I was offered one for my xbox one & I said no)
would be a practical daily aswel
KA24 similar to the 240sx
only single cam tho so no power
can be modified to throw 240sx suspension in
removing the bed and adding some power can make one extremely tail happy.
rust can be a big issue

>honorable mentions/ cars from other categories
Miata
SN95 Mustang
Foxbody Mustang
3rd & 4th gen Fbody
mk3 supra
select luxary boats like GS300 & LS400 if you want to commit to a trans swap

RX-8 for special snowflake section?

It's already there. Bottom righthand section.

Everyone cares about fuel economy and suspension wear and tear, especially poverty cases.

If you're going to include the Nissan Hardbody, you can also include the Chevrolet S10, GMC Sonoma, Toyota T100, Ford Ranger, and Mazda B-series.
Might as well just say any small pick up truck.

98-04 Chevy S10s with 5speed and a 2.2l are bulletproof.
They cant haul much, they barely get 25mpg highway, but they are reliable easy to find and can be bought for $1000 sometimes less.

Everyone knows about civics and jacks the prices up. Maybe you could shoehorn it in as a "maybe" candidate for someone looking for dirt cheap

bump

The answer is always Fox Body Mustang

z's can be found for 5k though
sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/6020835294.html

>salvage title
We said decent user.

>salvage title is not a good car
F A G G O T
A
G
G
O
T

>wanting a car that's been wrecked by Tyrone
C U C K
U
C
K

>now wanting a car that got in a minor fender bender by a grandpa
imagine being this much of a cuck

>minor fender bender by a grandpa
That's what they say. Don't believe Tyrone. That car is fucked. Let me know when you can get a decent car with a clean title in budget. There are a lot of states like mine where they won't let you register a car with a salvage title. You have to bring it in for a DMV inspection to prove the damage was fixed and get it transferred to a rebuilt title.

>decent

>salvage title
>convertible

04-09-2015
IAA

WESTCHESTER IL

Phone No : 7084927000

Damage Type : Junk And Salvage

Disposition : SOLD

Intended For Export : No

04-09-2015
IAA

WESTCHESTER IL

Phone No : 7084927000

Damage Type : Junk And Salvage

Disposition : TO BE DETERMINED

Intended For Export : No

how can someone be this fucking stupid?

>dirt fucking cheap, (I was offered one for my xbox one & I said no)
what the fuck is wrong with you?

I hope LPG knows he is the best poster on Veeky Forums.org

>dirt fucking cheap, (I was offered one for my xbox one & I said no)
wut. I'd have taken that

KEK. probably a gm fanboy

In my opinion, all cars on the list should be from 2000 and onward. It's 2017 guys, an '00 model is now SEVENTEEN years old. The average mileage on these will be nearly 200,000 miles. It's time to move on from the 20th century.

The problem is not many cars have depreciated enough to make it into the sticky. Cash For Clunkers ruined the used car market so it's taking a lot longer than usual for newer cars to properly depreciate into that $5,000 golden budget. And no. Salvage title cars don't count.

you can't be that picky if your budget is 5k

I vote that instead adding cars to it, right now we just focus on shit we need to remove because you'll never find a decent condition one under 5k unless it's a fucking unicorn of a grandma driving it she don't know what she's got. That and ones that have all been completely riced to shit by 2017.

For instance
>Subaru WRX
>Supra
>MR2
>Corvette
>Turd Gen F-Bodies
>Integra GS-R
>Eagle Talon TSi
>Taco and Ranger (can't find even a single one on my local CL under 10k and I want one so bad)
>RX7
>944

Feel free to correct me as I haven't shopped for sports cars in a while, currently looking for trucks though and holy fucknut is this list outdated.

I'd like to throw in the 2005 - 2011 Hyundai Accent, especially the hatch. Decently quick with the 5-speed, dirt cheap (5k) to buy and maintain. Good like an old Honda civic without being from the 90's.

>>Subaru WRX
>>Supra
>>Corvette
>>Turd Gen F-Bodies
>>Ranger (can't find even a single one on my local CL under 10k and I want one so bad)
I have no problem with any of these in my area.
proof:
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/6001776489.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5993568856.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/6012261403.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5985743796.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/ctd/6022233785.html

It all depends on where you live.

>newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5993568856.html
>a fucking supra for $1800
That EXACT same car would go for at least 6-10k in the condition its in. Holy fuck I'm so jelly. Moving to Jersey as I'm typing.

If there's still plenty of reliable examples out there i don't understand what your problem with the age is. Many of these cars will go for 100k more miles.

and all the aftermarket support of a pineapple.

>Junk And Salvage
sounds about right.

bump

Good Cheap Car Chart EU EDITION
when?

when we have enough yuropoors to chime in and make it. it's been tried before, but not enough people participated to make it worthwhile. Most of Veeky Forums is American, so that sticky is easy.

Then that Supra should be in range for you if you rent a truck and a trailer. Connecticut should only be a 3 hour drive away, depending on New York traffic.

It isn't possible because it depends of the country you're in and the currency you use.