Early Christian symbols

Why did the Cross ultimately become the prime christian symbol over other symbols like the Chi Rho and the Icthys?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pJSZcxXe7IQ&feature=youtu.be&t=5
patheos.com/blogs/billykangas/2012/02/where-did-the-sign-of-the-cross-come-from.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Paul said "we preach christ crucified"

Was the matter never addressed in an ecumenical council? Was it just a case of "well if Paul said it...".

Scripture >>>>>> Council

pleb

youtube.com/watch?v=pJSZcxXe7IQ&feature=youtu.be&t=5

The chi and ro flanking the sun was what the pagan emperor Constantine took for his symbol, so no Christian would want that.

They used the fish for a long time, especially as a secret symbol, one man making an arc in the dirt and the other man making another in the form of a fish. Worked well.

But Constantine and secret handshakes aside, it's at the cross where they crucified my Lord. It's at the cross where they lay upon Him my sins. It's at the cross where the bill against me was nailed, and it's at the cross where my sins were paid in full.

That old, rugged cross, on a hill far away. My King took my shame, and buried it there.

The Chi-Rho encircled like that just looks like an Ichthys wheel with a Rho in it. The staurogram looks like a a crucifix symbol. The cross became more popular after the religion moved out of the underground since it was a more overt symbol of the faith. The early mentions of the cross mention a Tau shape but a Latin cross seems more reasonable since the stake would have had to have something to hang the sign on.

>posting Bill Hicks
gtfo pleb

Because the Cross is the symbol of the chosen people in the bible.

>the pagan emperor Constantine
You know Constantine is venerated as a Christian saint right?

hebrew didn't exist as a language in 2000BC, let alone any alphabet. where are you getting that first letter from?

Yet it took centuries for Christians to be comfortable displaying crucifixes in churches, and even longer to depict Christ on them.

You know that guy was only baptized in his deathbed, right?

"So the last will be first, and the first will be last."

Milvian made him a believer, he just postponed baptism because he wanted to be spotless as he died.

this was common practice in the first few centuries of christianity

T shape is more like what they actually used and they could have hung the sign round his neck

>Proto sinaitic alphabet

Your knowledge is lacking, fedora

scripture < council

so how does an egyptian script show that the cross was a symbol of the jews in 2000BC?

Aramaic
It is generally agreed that Jesus and his disciples primarily spoke Aramaic, the common language of Judea in the first century AD, most likely a Galilean dialect distinguishable from that of Jerusalem.

Jesus wasn't a Hebrew, he was an Aramaic Judaen, Hebrews were foreign tribes.

The Romans called Jesus king of the Judeans, not king of the "Jews".

THE BASIC INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE LEAVING EARTH

DUMB SUBHUMAN IT WAS YOU WHO CLAIMED THERE WAS NO ALPHABET 2000BC DESPITE WADI EL-HOL INSCRIPTIONS

AS FOR HEBREW TAW MEAN SIGN; AND THE TAW IS USED TO MARK GOD CHOSEN PEOPLE

“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

I'm not sure what your point is. Judean is just a variation of Jew, one of the tribes of "hebrews". speaking aramaic doesn't make Jesus not a hebrew. this is besides the point that hebrews weren't actually foreign tribes as far as we can tell and were just a group of Canaanites

The earth is already in space.

Yeah I was wrong that there wasn't an alphabet before the Ugarit script. However what I'm seeing on the proto-sinaitic now is 19th century BC at the earliest, not 2000BC. also you image seems to be ignoring that the + shape was already gone by Moses's time. so explain why the egyptians using a plus symbol that evolved into a letter in the hebrew alphabet that was not a plus sign proves hebrews used the cross as a symbol

It is not a variation of "Jew" Jew never comes up prior to talmudism.

do you subscribe to the Khazar hypothesis or something?

but will you go with Jesus?

The white image of Christ is really Cesare Borgia, And uhh, the second son of Pope Alexander

l
>shape was already gone by Moses's time
False, it was gone when the hebrews ceased to write the Torah in ancient hebrew script in the 1st Century.

>so explain why the egyptians using a plus symbol that evolved into a letter in the hebrew alphabet that was not a plus sign proves hebrews used the cross as a symbol

Because we have hebrew inscription with this sign(pic related) and the current"hebrew" alphabet is in fact assyrian.

>False, it was gone when the hebrews ceased to write the Torah in ancient hebrew script in the 1st Century.
The dead sea scrolls are older than that and use modern hebrew script. the switch probably happened during the Persian period when aramaic became commonly used in Judea.

guess you are right about the + still being used though. still I find it very unconvincing. for one thing this more so resembles a greek cross which certainly isn't what the Romans used for crucifixions. none of the quotes you gave referring to it seem to allude to christ in any way

I've never said the Cross was directly linked to Christ, what i said is that the Cross is a sign used in the bible to mark the chosen of God.

How is this even a cross then if you aren't claiming that this is a direct link to christ? so hebrews sometimes used + in a similar fashion to how we use an x. that doesn't strike me as too extraordinary

>that doesn't strike me as too extraordinary
>The Cross is used by Ezekiel to mark the chosen of God and protect them from the wrath of God
>The Cross of Christ is a symbol of redemption and protection against the wrath of God.

This is not my fault if you're blind

can you not tell the difference between a t and a +? Jesus was not crucified on a giant plus sign. besides in Ezekiel's time tav was an x shape, not a +.

Baptism has nothing to do with "being spotless"

Not the other user but both the chi and tau were associated with the taw mark mentioned in Ezekiel. The Greek script is derived from the Phoenician/Proto-Canaanite alphabet and both chi and tau are derived from Semitic taw.
patheos.com/blogs/billykangas/2012/02/where-did-the-sign-of-the-cross-come-from.html

>Jesus still suffers from PTSD from being crucified, crosses trigger him
>Christians put crosses and images of crucified Jesus everywhere
>this is why the second coming didn't happen yet.

In early Christian communities you would be kicked out if you committed a few serious sins. It was common therefor not to be baptized untill you were close to death

Think of it what you will but that is how it was