Is he right or wrong?

So i may be wrong, but lots of road racing series use spools, do they not? Or even a selectable locked differential, which is damn near the same as a welded dif.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fAfy42hFYBk
i.gyazo.com/89fff41b2bf8363970957aaca1bfb753.png
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_CSX#CSX-VNT
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What the fuck is a spool?

basically an axle coupling that replaces the differential.

A sppol is basically a block that connects the input shaft of a diff to it's two output shafts. It makes sure that both left and right output have the same speed.

No, there aren't any road racing series that use spools, because a spool actively prohibits you from achieving different wheel speeds. What you're thinking of is a limited slip differential, which allows a certain amount of slippage which is essential to turning. A selectable locking diff is usually used offroad, where you can keep the axles locked together for long periods of time without getting any driveline windup, because there's not enough grip to create any.

However, you can find spools in dragracing, and in drifting, so he's wrong: you CAN find a spool in a professionally built racecar. Also, mini-spools are cheap, but a full carrier replacement spool isn't exactly a cheap part, and you'll need it if you're throwing 1500hp at a set of drag slicks.

Add.: Welded diffs are shit, and should only be used in situations where there is near-zero grip, so entry-level offroading and drifting.

here is a professionally built race car that has a spool

its also the fastest car around the hurrdurrring

some GT1 cars use spools and selectable locked differentials. i know of 1 series that a few cars use a spool.

Jesus fucking christ you kids are morons.

A spool is for going in a straight line. A dedicated drag race machine.

[citation needed[, because no modern racecars use spools anymore. LSD>spool for road racing.

The 956 is a famously bad example though. The reasoning behind the spool there was to keep the axles together so you could pit in endurance races, despite suffering a diff malfunction/breakage. It was clearly not the perfect setup, because those things are notorious for their understeer.

detroit locker isn't an lsd, is it?

He is wrong.

Most people use spools for drag racing.

youtube.com/watch?v=fAfy42hFYBk

V8 Supercars run spools

let's be honest open diff is the best for a race car

so does scca trans-am

>A spool is for someone who won't commit to a welded diff
What the fuck did I just read?

No, it's a automatic locking differential. It's different from an LSD or spool.

>no real race car uses cheap parts

welcome to my world. i don't know everything about cars, but i do know what i'm talking about when it comes to certain things. one being road racing. but of course all the driftgawds know everything.

so a detroit locker is essentially a fully locked differential more than 90% of the time, like a welded diff, correct?

''Detroits Lockers'' are automatically locking differentials, they're not LSD's.

No, it's open unless it's locked, not the other way around.

i.gyazo.com/89fff41b2bf8363970957aaca1bfb753.png

not according to him. i'm trying to prove a point that fully locked differentials and spools can be used effectively in road racing.

Welding diffs is very popular with the srift crowd. A fair few professional drifters have done so with welded diffs and when done properly it's probably stronger.

>A DIY weld is stronger than a solid chunk of metal designed, milled and treated for the exact purpose
No. Do you see any Top Fuel dragster with welded diff because ''it's probably stronger''?

as soon as any type of torque is applied, it locks. which is more than half of the time in racing applications.

A welded diff is locked 100% of the time. An autolocker is locked whenever you're over a certain power threshold, and unlocks on coast/brake. Nominally, at least. A lot of them seem to have problems unlocking.

They're suboptimal, but it can be made to work. Either is better than an open differential in terms of raw lap times, but not as fast as an LSD and with more tire wear. Really the only time a spool (which is exactly the same as a welded diff) is really a good thing on a road course is in the case of FWD cars with macstruts. The way to make a car with struts handle properly involves making it lift the inside front on basically every turn. Obviously that's not an option for a FWD without a spool or a heavily preloaded clutch type LSD, so you have to compromise if you want to use an open or helical diff.

I mean a welded diff is stronger than a locking diff, not a proper live axle.

but again, a lot of road racing series use Detroit
Locker type (ratcheting), or the Trutrack type (helical/worm gear) or a spool.

>live axle

Wrong term, I know. I mean a solid connection like a spool.

Most racing series use clutch type LSDs. Lockers and spools are for low tech stuff like NASCAR and V8 Supercars where the whole point is to have more power than the car can handle.

Not really, since you're introducing a lot of heat to the gearset, which ruins the heat treatment.

You can get away with welded diffs on a 400hp driftshitbox with secondhand 255 tires, not so much on a high end driftcar.

Drag racing uses them.

>a spool is for someone who won't commit to a welded diff
ebin

This, the 917s too, ATCC cars, some WRC cars. Some drivers just prefer spools so that's what they choose to have.

spool and minispool is shit for anything where you have to turn a corner because its unpredictable.
If you get to the corner and it decides to lock while you're at the edge of grip accelerating through the corner then you're fucked.

Dragging and offroading only, though offroading has a million better optipns.

>If you get to the corner and it decides to lock
Spools are always locked.

you don't know whay you're talking about, do you?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelby_CSX#CSX-VNT

wat? stfu please....

what does that have to do with anything?

Name that diff

>Implying that's a diff

NTD pt2

I don't see a diff

what diff?

Pt3

>File names

Pt4

NASCAR uses Detroit lockers with super heavy springs on the outboard size to make sure only the inside wheel will freewheel while under power. You can get used ones for really cheap and just change the springs out, they use different gear ratios for qualifying and testing some a lot of them only have ~50 miles on them and are super stout, all safetywired and whatnot.

You're confusing spools and lockers.

Only if you have too much heat, you can weld it without ruining the heat treatment.

Rather a Detroit suretrac ATB than a locker. Shame those aren't as cheap.