Why are there no diesel supercars?

Why are there no diesel supercars?

Aren't most LMP cars diesel now?

because diesel belongs in agricultural machinery, not road cars

there are some pretty fast german diesels, i think they are too heavy in a market where weight counts

apparently you can still buy brand new nissan l diesel engines virtually unchanged from the '60s but with max redline 1500rpm for generator/boat/etc use
just thought i'd point this out

Narrow power band, and they sound crap

okay thanks for that

Not quite a supercar, but check out this twincharged merc wagon.

But why haven't they put a diesel into an R8?

They have

diesel doesnt burn quick enough
you got to have a lot of stroke and even then you are limited to about 3000 rpm

>diesel doesnt burn quick enough
true
>you got to have a lot of stroke
no you don't
>and even then you are limited to about 3000 rpm
5500rpm on direct injection, more with prechambers

sorry, used to torquemonster semi-trucks
still a bit much engineering to get performance similar to petrol engines

>Aren't most LMP cars diesel now?

No. In fact there will be no Diesel on the grid this year since Audi (the only LMP with a Diesel after 2011) exited racing last year. Even during their heyday, the only other Diesel car was the Peugeot 908 that competed 2007-2011. A Diesel-powered car has not won LM24 since 2014 or a WEC title since 2013.

Audi experimented with the Q7's diesel V12 in the R8, but it never made it to production.

The diesel engine doesn't easily lend itself to high performance high power density applications.

they have and it won le mans

road cars != sports cars/supercars

Diesel is and will always be better for A to B cars. Torque is more important than peak power on a road car, plus diesel engines are inherently more efficient than otto engines.

Enjpy being btfo out of every major euro city within five years.

>implying the vast majority of modern diesels are taxed when entering european cities
'no'

oh boy look who joined us

Narrow powerband, low-end power instead of high-end power, generally heavier

Its just simply an engine more suited to stuff that doesn't go as fast but perhaps weighs a lot. Examples; pickups, tractors, semis, generators and similar. Its also an excellent option for commuter cars if you let the engine run at its optimal temperatures, as it generally uses less fuel and is less stressed

marine and stationary engine don't have the crazy fuel consumption regulations cars have. A lot of marine and aviation fuel is still leaded because the engines haven't changed since the mid 20th century.

It was just a concept that never made production.

well thats bullshit.
North america has a NECA on all its shore line that is forcing IMO III

Because there's a very low limit on RPM for diesels, which means you need fucktons of torque to hit a power target, which means you need a massive transmission to not explode the moment you look at the gas pedal. Mazda's 14:1 aluminum block diesel engine seems like it could work in a sports car, though. It's about 100 pounds heavier than the gas engine that went in the Miata, but makes another 20 horsepower more in stock trim, and three times as much in their USCC prototype car. It would have been interesting to see it as an option in the ND.

enjoy your 500rpm power band

Truck driver here.

Diesel engines are great for pulling heavy shit or trying to get good fuel mileage. If you were to put one in a sports car you would have the powerband of a 70's Porsche 911 Turbo except all the power is down low.

I wanted to see that Audi TDI V12 R8 take off but alas it was not meant to be. Quite frankly if I'm spending that kind of money I want the sound too and diesels don't do it

tfw