Inventions

Most overlooked invention?

I say it is shoes.

Just look at how ill suited our feet are to walking outside with out shoes. We would be constantly plagued with injuries, diseases and parasites in our feet. Would never be able to settle outside the tropics. The winters and ice age summers would be too cold for our feet.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeolipile
youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I say it is clothes.

Just look at how ill suited our body is to walking outside with out clothes. We would be constantly plagued with injuries, diseases and parasites in our body. Would never be able to settle outside the tropics. The winters and ice age summers would be too cold for our body.

Wheels intended for practical use as wheels were never made out of stone.

>Just look at how ill suited our feet are to walking outside with out shoes.
Are you retarded?

nigger i stomped around woods shoeless for years
quit being a pussy

>wheels were never made out of stone.
except for you know, pretty much every wheel used for things other than carts and other vehicles

Grind stones are practical

>Just look at how ill suited our feet are to walking outside with out shoes
American education.

>tfw african family laughed at me for having tender feet

For me is this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeolipile
Just imagine what would happen if industrial revolution happen in I or II century

It doesn't actually have enough torque to be useful as an engine.

However, I must emphasize

>tfw Aurelian closed the Library of Alexandria

It could have spread the idea of a machine that does work. Leading to production a pistol and later turbine steam plants.

Metallurgy was too primitive for a very long time to make proper steam engines. You need a shitload of pressure to move any significant amount of weight.

Go to a third world country like India or Africa. Everyone does barefoot walking.

They also die at age 35 from preventable illnesses.

That's because you didn't walk around in the woods barefoot all your life. Callouses man, that's how people could bear it.

youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o

Yes, I know they're wearing shoes.

I have a serious question for you though

How do you deal with severe retardation in your daily life?

Sanitation.
Humanity's greatest predators are those that one cannot see. Influenza, Typhus, TB, etc. have killed way more people than any microorganism, way more than even humans killing humans.

Than any macroorganism*

Gonna get a lot of shit for this but I'll go with the transistor.

honey used for wounds if you can call it an invention

I believe it is Internet memes.

There is no better way for people to express themselves, both politically and poetically.

>It could have spread the idea of a machine that does work. Leading to production a pistol and later turbine steam plants.
Other way around m8
Firearms lead to the metallurgy needed for high pressure steam

I think he meant to write piston, not pistol

What about walking in the deserts of the mid east?
Like where and when were sandals invented?

Prolly sumeria?

Refrigeration.

Being able to store things (food, medicines, chemicals) for far longer than their normal half-life at room temperature is greatly under-appreciated.

I was just thinking about this the other day. The most overlooked invention has got to be bug screens on doors/windows. Can you imagine modern indoor living that doesn't keep (most) insects out?

I would say AC

Shoes (with strong and flat soles) are the main reason that our feet are becoming more and more flat.

I get what you're saying, but having flat feet is worse than having temporarily injured feet.

Your feet would be way more resistant if you'd actually walk around withouth protection aswell

Firearms; the great equaliser

Had a professor in undergrad who swore the idea of mass shipping container/ships was the biggest breakthrough since fire.

ever see a mill?

The locomotive.

t. foamer

Language.

Without language we wouls just be slightly more intelligent monkeys

No. Human feet are fine without shoes, shoes make our feet soft. Humans who have never worn shoes can walk in any environment and be absolutely fine.

Keys and locks.

Imagine, unless you lived in a tiny tight-knit community before those were invented you needed to always have someone trusted (or yourself) around to guard your stuff.

Lindybeige has a ool vid about locks.

Ropes
Needles
Hammer
Stool
Nail
Carpenter square

extremely well.
>We would be constantly plagued with injuries, diseases and parasites in our feet.
well, my feet aren't.
>Would never be able to settle outside the tropics.
i live in north-eastern finland. it's hardly tropic.
i wear shoes only at work and when it's below -10°C, if it snows i might wear woollen socks even before that. and i spend a lot of my time outdoors.your feet are weak useless lumps only because you don't use them enough.

Language, especially a written language.

With a written language, history, future planning, laws, inventories, education, ideas, stories become more easily available, the ability to more formally unify a people, a nation with a common language helps to unify and spread ideas more easily
Once written language was established everything else followed relatively quickly

I doubt that human feet cand get so tough that it would be just as safe for walking barefoot as in shoes.

Sure, it can be fine for walking in grasslands or forests, but you still better have shoes if you want to climb mountains or cross rocky deserts. And shoes are probably better for easier terrain anyways, see how even this bushman in 's post prefers wearing them.

Hardly call it overlooked, right up there with fire and the wheel... Though perhaps few people realize it is indeed an invention, as it seems instinctual. (Even though it apparently ain't.)

Perhaps this is why "writing" appears in the Civ tech tree, but language does not.