Accident HELP

So this just happened.

I was preparing to merge into the lane and was using my turn signal signaling to the left. I saw this guy in my mirrors going forward (no turn signals) and began to inch forward to merge once he passed. Suddenly, this guy decides to turn right and ends up scraping his car on my front left. What do I do? Whose fault is it? I am from California by the way. PLEASE HELP....

DASHCAM FOOTAGE: youtube.com/watch?v=4YrgBxZO2zs&feature=youtu.be

>Whose fault is it?
You drove into the guy dipshit, whose fault do you think it is? When the FRONT of your car hits the REAR of another car when your foot is on the ACCELERATOR it is YOUR fault.

You didn't have your turn signal on you lying sack of shit

sorry m8 but you are.

Your insurance will figure that out. Looks like mainly yours though

While he didn't use his signal and is a dipshit for it, unfortunately you will be placed at fault.

This guy is on to something; where's your signal? Its dark enough we should be able to see it.

i hate to say it but you might get blamed because the other guy was still in his right of way. you were parked in the side so you had to yield to him

He merged into his lane

Look at the lights reflecting off the other car. You can see his turn signal flash on and off.

He didn't use his signal and he also looked like he intended to park by that fire hydrant. I hate people like that. Signals are pretty fucking important. I use them even when I'm alone on the road as a good habit.

Does look like OP will be placed at fault, though. Just a little rub though so it may not be too serious.

His side was scratched, not his rear. And by what you wrote, if I merge into you and your front ends up scratching my side/rear, it'll be your fault.

you can see the yellow on his car during the impact. my headlights are really bright so I guess the camera didn't catch the yellow turn signals.

Your dashcam reveals the white car didn't signal to turn. You probably didn't signal to turn into traffic either but luckily your dashcam doesn't show that.

Oh shit, good eye. My bad.

The big catch with signals is getting fucked over by em. My Uncle was merging with a road at a T intersection, saw person with signal on. Uncle went out, person had just left the signal on from a previous turn, collision. Uncle was declared at fault (obviously).
Further showing how important signals are, but you need to also remember that there are a lot of idiots on the road.

Yeah you're right. Received good advice from an old cab driver one day.

>You see somebody else behind the wheel of a car? They're a fucking idiot.

I remember trying to get onto a somewhat busy road from a stop sign. Car to my left got into the turning lane with their signal on, so I started going. They changed their mind and jumped back into the straight lane and almost T-boned me. Pissed me the hell off.

I'd honestly show the dash cam footage to the insurance companies. It could put the other guy at fault for no signal, plus trying to park by that fire hydrant.

>I am from California by the way.
hahahaha

okay that aside he may not have signaled, but you were not traveling in a lane. i'd show the video to your insurance as you are already going to be deemed at fault, can't hurt to show he failed to signal and was attempting to park illegally. at best 50/50 blame.

>luckily
What is your point

bump

This would make sense if OP changed lanes. But he didn't. Didn't leave his own lane.

It's the other guy's fault. Unless there's some garbage rule stating otherwise, especially at the angle in the video, I can't see how this is your fault. You were completely in your lane, indicating, and even if you hadn't have inched forward it looks like the car would have clipped you anyways.

If it's not his fault, it'll be split fault, not yours entirely.

>hurr durr front of your car so you're at fault

If someone backs into you it's nor your fault. Your poorly-regurgitated rule of thumb isn't valid for all cases.

Good thing you got it on tape, though.

>were not travelling in a lane
He was though. Even if "travelling in an unmarked lane" was somehow illegal, wouldn't make a difference.. Dude hit him.

Plus, in my city those types of parking areas are in fact lanes, but they're lanes you can park in during certain times.

Where can I find in the vehicle code that parking areas on the side of a road are lanes?

OP were you still in the lines for the parking spot? If so I would say he was 100% at fault as he had the potential to hit you either way if he crossed into a parking spot.

I would honestly show this to your insurance company and give them a copy. Its really hard to say what they'll want to do.

Vehicle code? No idea what that is.. You mean your bylaws or traffic acts? I have no idea, Google man, I don't live where you do.

And you won't find that they're lanes specifically. However, it's not a parking lot. It's a public road, so regardless of if there is "street parking", guess what.. it's a street. Changing lanes without a signal and hitting another car is still a road offense. You aren't 100% at fault, I can't see any way any judge or insurance company could say otherwise unless your "at fault" guidelines are very different than mine.

They'll likely argue that you were partially blocking the intersection or some such shit, but you did nothing unreasonable, unpredictable, or wrong, so their argument is pretty weak. Unique situation, hard to say exactly. Talk to a lawyer if it worries you that much, or if your insurance company doesn't fight for you.

But as other anons have said, turn the tape over to your insurance ASAP. Chances are they'll handle it, or tell you how to handle it.

The way it works is that your insurance company covers you first, they pay the repair costs (if any). They then sue the other driver for the costs if they feel he's at fault. A court or settlement decides fault, and your insurance/record will likely reflect that decision.

You look like you don't have much confidence in your driving ability.

t-t-thanks

Tort lawyer here. You fucked up. In all likelihood, both parties would be considered at fault, you moreso. Insurance will sort it out.

give it to the insurers, you have nothing to lose.

LOL! I know that guy

>parks in front of fire hydrant
it looks like he cut you off, and his signal wasn't on
but you should have been more aggressive about merging, you have plenty of time
>creeping forward with ur autotragic
seriously stop this shit or KYS

Who is it?

No turn signal right turn gets a traffic warning. Making a right not in the right lane without a signal is a violation. Also he's a nigger looking for insurance money.

>not paying the other guy cash to forget it
You fugged up, OP.

My dad XD

>Parked by the side of the road
>guy slams into your parked car
>but officer he wasnt in a lane so its his fault
Now how does this sound to you?

He merged into your lane
He had NO turn signal
You had your signal on, and he still cut in front of you.
You should be fine OP.

You're finished, mate. Have fun paying 50 extra bucks a month.

Had a similar issue years back. From my understanding of most auto insurers, if you have damage to the front of your vehicle, most will declare you at fault unless you can prove otherwise.

I believe you're telling the truth OP but you weren't very aggressive pulling out and he likely couldn't tell, regardless if you had your blinker on and he didn't.

This thread is full of completely different opinions. Is the community of Veeky Forums really that split in regards to traffic laws and regulations?

Collisions are rarely that cut and dry.

Tell your insurance company your story, they will hire lawyers to fight for you. You literally have nothing to worry about other than fixing your car at this point and potentially having your insurance rates up a bit for the next year or two.

I'm sorry, but in the civilized world when you cut in front of someone and you don't at least signal before doing so YOU'RE at fault, not the guy driving forward minding his own business. OP did nothing wrong legally.