How can I reduce turbo lag with one neat trick?

How can I reduce turbo lag with one neat trick?
Hard Mode: Not anti-lag/nitrous.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VPMBR-imqUk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ls1 swap

no intake tube

add second turbo

>How can I reduce turbo lag
>Not anti-lag
Buy a tiny little turbo.

Normal aspiration

Getting a V8

Remove the turbo

Poof, no lag.

Add a supercharger.

Hook the tarbo to supercharger

I thought this was a horse penis

Water to air instead of air to air for charge cooling. Shorter and more streamlined tubing.

I want to keep the original turbo and engine.
Otherwise it's not an apples vs apples comparison.

Too much /mlp for ya.

Add a small electric motor (powered by the battery) connected to your accelerator that spools up the turbo as soon as you push the pedal.

Horse

Cock

this is a great idea thank you

saw it aswell desu

take off your exhaust

Your only real option is to replace whatever turbo you have with a modern twinscroll.
Some of the garrets share everything but the turbine, you can reduce lag a little if yours is steel by swapping in ceramic one.

Except how do you attach the motor? Intake side would create a huge restriction with a motor in front of it or require a lot of custom fab work to get some sort of clutched pully system, and exhaust side would be hilarious do that.

>Add a small electric motor (powered by the battery)
This isn't going to do shit. You won't get a turbo up to speed before exhaust pressure using a tiny ass motor running off a car battery. If OP is dead set on nig rigging some absurd anti-lag system together he should try injecting compressed air into the exhaust stream.

"aswel"l is not a word
i bet you spell "a lot" as "allot" too don't you

Not into /mlp
I just used to watch a lot of bestiality back in the day, used to watch it with this chick I was very close friends whith after college too
Thanks limewire and zootube

These guys don't know what they are talking about. I've tested and measured TS turbos as well as multiple exhaust set ups and they don't reduce lag.
Often they increase it.

You'd have to put it in the place of the bearing between the two shells. That's some serious fabwork and requires a very high spec motor both for high RPM, rapid cycling, and heat tolerance. This also isn't considering that you're gonna need a motor controller, battery pack, and some way to recharge the pack since the alternator probably won't be sufficient and I kinda doubt regenerative effects of the motor holding boost down in place of the wastegate will be sufficient outside of racing applications where you're spending all your time at full boost.

Always glad to help

Too bad I'm on my phone, otherwise I'd make a pic with paint showing how something like a dyson airblade motor could spool the turbo.

As for the power, if the standard battery isn't enough, try to put a diesel engine battery instead. If there's not enough room under the hood, put it under the trunk (like Audi A1 with diesel engines). It will also improve the handling with better weight repartition.

Only reason I've looked at this thread
Bye now

make a hybrid turbo. keep the same compressor, but install a smaller turbine. for example if you have a TD04 you could put the turbine from a TF035 for quicker spooling. at least it's half the original turbo, i guess.

>something like a dyson airblade motor could spool the turbo
That motor isn't rated to operate at anywhere near the temperatures you'd need to put it next to the turbo. In the drying housing it only moves 28 liters a second which is not even close to sufficient for forced induction. It only spins to 92,000 rpm (less than half of a typical turbocharger) and attaching the larger, heavier turbines from the turbocharger will make it spin even slower. Also this tiny motor which isn't powerful enough to do what you want would put serious drain on your car battery at the 1400W of power it consumes.

92000rpm is plenty to spool a turbo

That's less than half the RPM of a turbo at full tilt. You could drop a gear and get exactly the same effect as your hypothetical system.

rpm =/= cfm

rpm =/= air pressure

You're fucking retarded.

Don't fall for the twin scroll meme, it's everything else in modern engine design that makes them less laggy such as VVT, electric throttle bodies, and electronic wastegates. You can retrofit the last two relatively easily.

Yeah but it's about just getting a turbo to spool up, not pinning it at max rpm. It's kinda like rolling a barrel down a hill. Also not all turbos are some tiny K03 that spin at 200k. And you don't need the turbo spinning at max rpm for it to be making a difference.
Not that I think an airblade motor would actually work.

the fuck is your problem?

reduce A/R

>And you don't need the turbo spinning at max rpm for it to be making a difference.
If you're going to go through the trouble of designing and installing a system like this over other simpler anti-lags it's going to need to have much greater benefits. We're talking about shaving seconds or fractions of seconds off the time it takes to get into boost. If the assist motor isn't going to drop you pretty well into boost and help hold it there when you're off the power then it's just not going to be worth it. You'd save weight and complexity with something like Volvo's compressed air system for essentially the same effects.

Compound turbocharging.

keep it redlined 24/7

Automatic gearbox

Put some washer on the linkage to the wastegate for a little more boost.

When you need the anti-lag it's because you're low RPMs.. Low RPMs of the engine means low RPMs of the turbo. If you're running the engine rpm at 40% max logically that means the turbo is somewhere around 40% max revs.. Which would be like 50-80krpm.

Not that I think a vacuum cleaner motor would ever work, but the idea of using an assist motor until exhaust power takes over, that does work.

Has anybody ever made a supercharger with a centrifugal clutch? Belt turns the compressor to force air at low RPMs, but as exhaust speeds build, have an exhaust turbine take over and stop sapping power through the belt by "overspeeding" the supercharger?

Think riding a bike down a hill (not a fixie).. You pedal until the speed of the bike tire out paces the speed that you're able to pedal, then your legs are just free wheeling taking up very little energy. You've maximized your acceleration but have not limited your top speed.

Why wouldn't that work?

>50-80krpm
I want the engine that revs this high. Show it to me, give it to me. I need it, I want it, I must have it.

I wasn't arguing that the idea wasn't possible because it definitely is and I know at least BMW holds a patent on the idea. With a purpose built motor, motor controller tied into the ECU, and battery pack you could definitely get a setup that spins the turbo up under electrical power to boost and then switches over to acting as a generator to retard the turbo RPM and thus boost in place of a wastegate while recovering energy for the next time you need to spin up the turbo. I was arguing that whatever half baked ideas that come out of Veeky Forums for implementing it aren't going to work.

Read the post chucklefuck, turbo rpm.

this youtube.com/watch?v=VPMBR-imqUk

Wider charge pipe, and boost pipe, wider downpipe, and maybe intake also break boost at every opportunity

downshift

is that a horse cock?

/Thread

Closed loop electronic boost control to increase pressure on the wastegate will significantly improve the spool.

Variable valve timing if your engine doesn't have it would go a very long way as well. Replacing the turbo with one that has ceramic ball bearings helps too. Leaning out your map at low load low RPM situations can also help but this can go very wrong very fast if you don't know what you're doing.

If you do a drive by wire conversion it can do a delta TPS measurement on the ECU and artificially force the throttle to max to decrease perceived latency.

Also, downshift. The reality is that below a certain RPM it will take forever for the turbo to spool.

run sequential turbos. If turbo lag is an issue you're probably running more than 15psi so I'd say run a smaller turbo at about 6 or 7 psi to lower lag time significantly.